Good deal on LS1 swap? - Page 4 - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 111 Old March 6th, 2014, 12:06 AM
ADL
Regular

I remember 10 or so years ago I was at a week night burger joint car show thing with my built '88 Mustang notch. Had a guy come over to look at it, got to talking, he proceeded to tell me all about how I *should* have built it. On and on. It was obnoxious. I got tired of listening to him, opened the passenger door, reached in the glove box and pulled out my registration card and exclaimed, "I'll be damned, that IS my name on it. Guess that means I can build MY car however the hell I want!" The guy walked away.

Ford vs. Chevy, Chevy vs. Ford - at the end of the day it's all a bunch of bullshit and NOT worth getting worked up over. If someone wants to put an LS engine in a Mustang what difference does it make? For all the I bleed Ford blue chest thumpers, why don't you all just take a picture of your dick with a ruler next to it, post it up and settle it once and for all? Okay, fine, you can use a yardstick if you need it...

For what it's worth there are Mustang's that have suffered a far worse fate than a GM engine swap. The beanered-out pieces of shit I see driving around the local Hispanic communities are a perfect example.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 111 Old March 6th, 2014, 07:25 AM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

^ amen. I have owned both and love both. Do what you will with em.
post #63 of 111 Old March 6th, 2014, 07:48 AM
Hi I'm Sean

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 111 Old March 6th, 2014, 08:45 AM
Powered by LSx tears

Location: Where the rays of light shine through my Shiner Bock bottle

SBF >LSx

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtnstrns View Post
I'll toss that dude's salad

post #65 of 111 Old March 6th, 2014, 09:10 AM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Tears taste so good on my body.
post #66 of 111 Old March 6th, 2014, 10:06 AM
Rent Asunder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaselee View Post
I personally cannot stand it when people do this. I know they are light and a lot of people like to put Chevy motors in them but I hate it. To me if you want an Ls or Lt motor buy a camaro and mod it accordingly. The 5.0 is plenty capable of making good power. Trust me.
A lot of people view it this way and I used to as well... but now I see it as making use of Ford's lighter chassis with Chevy's better motors. The Fox body is known for it's light weight and superior suspension design (dirt cheap suspension also). There's not many motors that'll withstand a lot of abuse at 800whp on the stock rods and pistons like a 4.8 or 5.3 LS motor.

If it was me... I'd snatch a junkyard 5.3 LS for ~$500 and upgrade the head/rod/main bolts to make it more reliable. Have the stock heads softened if you like and put on some thicker head gaskets to drop the compression down a tad. Throw in a mild cam with upgraded valve springs. BW EFR S400 turbo at 15-18psi flipping the stock exhaust manifolds to keep it budget friendly. TH400 trans with a tight converter and t-brake. Ford 9" rear with a spool. Enjoy a 9 second car for less than $10k (not including the cage and other safety stuff required to run in the 9s).

There's other budget friendly ways to go of course but if I was doing an LS swap, that's the way I'd go.

1993 Camaro bracket car
2002 Tahoe family/tow rig
2006 Altima daily
post #67 of 111 Old March 6th, 2014, 10:31 AM
Powered by LSx tears

Location: Where the rays of light shine through my Shiner Bock bottle

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDY4WAR View Post
A lot of people view it this way and I used to as well... but now I see it as making use of Ford's lighter chassis with Chevy's better motors. The Fox body is known for it's light weight and superior suspension design (dirt cheap suspension also). There's not many motors that'll withstand a lot of abuse at 800whp on the stock rods and pistons like a 4.8 or 5.3 LS motor.

If it was me... I'd snatch a junkyard 5.3 LS for ~$500 and upgrade the head/rod/main bolts to make it more reliable. Have the stock heads softened if you like and put on some thicker head gaskets to drop the compression down a tad. Throw in a mild cam with upgraded valve springs. BW EFR S400 turbo at 15-18psi flipping the stock exhaust manifolds to keep it budget friendly. TH400 trans with a tight converter and t-brake. Ford 9" rear with a spool. Enjoy a 9 second car for less than $10k (not including the cage and other safety stuff required to run in the 9s).

There's other budget friendly ways to go of course but if I was doing an LS swap, that's the way I'd go.
Incorrect

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtnstrns View Post
I'll toss that dude's salad

post #68 of 111 Old March 6th, 2014, 10:33 AM
Rent Asunder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69fastback View Post
Incorrect
We've been over this. lol

1993 Camaro bracket car
2006 Altima daily
post #69 of 111 Old March 6th, 2014, 11:41 AM
Cruising the backroads

Quote:
We've been over this. lol
and sbf wins. Stock for stock ls wins. Why? because its an old motor with modern shit. I bet if ford would have stayed with the SBF and BBF motors and modernized them to todays standards like the LS series. ford would still be beating chevys asses. The only reason ford went to modular, was to make itself look like it was improving the market and have "cutting edge" technology. The modular is merely an adolescent addition in the motor world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc View Post
You only got one nom nom. One nom or two nom nom. Only one nom.
GO GO POWER RANGER!
post #70 of 111 Old March 6th, 2014, 12:34 PM
MM Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADL View Post
For what it's worth there are Mustang's that have suffered a far worse fate than a GM engine swap.
That Skyline-powered 67 from Tokyo Drift comes to mind.
post #71 of 111 Old March 6th, 2014, 12:49 PM
Hardcore Devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by fb93 View Post
That Skyline-powered 67 from Tokyo Drift comes to mind.
Was that a real thing or just something made up for the movie?

2000 GT - Full Bolt-on's

post #72 of 111 Old March 6th, 2014, 01:22 PM
The Dude Abides

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl0udedth0ught View Post
Was that a real thing or just something made up for the movie?
They actually built it. It is horrendous.

And as for the guy that said he could build a 9 second Mustang with an LS for $10k, challenge accepted. Find someone to give me $10k and I will build a SBF powered fox and you can build a LS powered shit heap. After I smoke you, I will buy you lunch or dinner and a couple of beers to dry those bow-tie tears. SBF all the way.

Every time I see a GM engine in a Ford I want to hurl. When I see a sick T-bucket or 32 High boy at a car show and find a Chevy in it, I walk away. Not interested. BORING! It has been done a zillion and half times before, have some imagination, try something new. I understand (back in the olden times when dinosaurs walked the earth and Ford only offered the flat head) why people would do SBC swaps in hot rods. Flash forward to 2014, and guess what Ford has a plethora of viable, affordable and powerful OHV V-8 engines. So then why do people put GM engines in Ford cars? There are two possible reasons.

1. They are a jerk

2. GM cars suck and for the most part lack styling or character. (with exceptions to 55-57 Bel Air, and most 60's muscle cars)

Get with the program and drop a warrantied Boss block crate engine in it and be done. Yes they do come with a 2 year 24k miles warranty how sweet is that?

The only GM engine worth swapping into anything is a gen 4 or newer big block chevy. I still wouldn't put it in a Ford though. I'd like to put one in a miata with a powerglide and enough nitrous to blow the floorboards out of the car as well as the welds on the intake manifold. So that means two, of the big ones! LOLOLOLOLOL
post #73 of 111 Old March 6th, 2014, 01:24 PM
Cruising the backroads

^nailed it.

Quote:
GO GO POWER RANGER!
post #74 of 111 Old March 6th, 2014, 02:10 PM
Rent Asunder!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MeanNonPI2v View Post
1. They are a jerk

2. GM cars suck and for the most part lack styling or character. (with exceptions to 55-57 Bel Air, and most 60's muscle cars)
Typical fanboy nonsense and the whole LOLOLOLOLOL retarded shit makes you look about 12 so this is probably going to go right over your adolescent head. Both of those you listed are opinion with no facts to support them.

How about this instead...

1. Ford platforms are lighter and have far superior suspension designs.

2. Ford suspension and drivetrain parts are cheaper and stronger than the GM equivalents.

I'm in no way saying a SBF couldn't make that happen cause it absolutely can. I'm saying if I was going to do an LS swap, that's the route I would go. I'd still do a 351W based SBF before the LS, even though a 351W wouldn't last very long at all over 600whp on stock rods and pistons. Cool your little fanboy attitude.

1993 Camaro bracket car
2006 Altima daily
post #75 of 111 Old March 6th, 2014, 03:16 PM
The Dude Abides

Garage
Quote:
Typical fanboy nonsense and the whole LOLOLOLOLOL retarded shit makes you look about 12 so this is probably going to go right over your adolescent head. Both of those you listed are opinion with no facts to support them.

How about this instead...

1. Ford platforms are lighter and have far superior suspension designs.

2. Ford suspension and drivetrain parts are cheaper and stronger than the GM equivalents.

I'm in no way saying a SBF couldn't make that happen cause it absolutely can. I'm saying if I was going to do an LS swap, that's the route I would go. I'd still do a 351W based SBF before the LS, even though a 351W wouldn't last very long at all over 600whp on stock rods and pistons. Cool your little fanboy attitude.
Well since you missed it, my "lololololololol" was in response to my own Fast the Furious quote I snuck into my reply. SO, CHILL THE FUCK OUT!

I agree that your two points are factual, but my two points are fun. FUN FACT, I AM AWESOME!

No I am not twelve, but I try not to grow up because growing up sucks. It is full of RESPONSIBILITY and no imagination.

And I'm not a FANBOY. I like all cars and all brands, except Honda, fuck honda. I grew up in household where Corvettes, Mustangs, Trans Ams, Toyotas, and Mopars all live together in harmony. That doesn't mean I'm swapping a LS into my fox because "its cheap" and so am I.

As far as your "stock rod and piston" argument goes it is invalid. It won't last and therefore is bullshit. Who wants to drive or race a time bomb? Not me. I'll build it right the first time and have something that lasts.

I'll take that Ford Racing 363 with a healthy shot of sqeeze over a turbo, junkyard GM, time bomb cheapskate combo any day.

That said there are plenty of 240sx and other imports that are perfect for LS swaps.

SAVE THE MUSTANGS!!

post #76 of 111 Old March 6th, 2014, 03:40 PM
Cruising the backroads

#stopelesjuanswaps #nocamaro #savemustangs #lswhat? #burnoutboxsoon

Quote:
GO GO POWER RANGER!
post #77 of 111 Old March 6th, 2014, 04:22 PM
Rent Asunder!

I've been pushing well over double stock hp on my stock rod/piston combo for the last 70k miles. It certainly can last if you have some restraint with the boost pressure and a good tune.

Why even bother with a 363 when you can punch a 9.5 deck out to a 418 or 427 and have the stronger block and mains to go with it? Not to mention be cheaper to build. Is it because the 351w stroker setups use Chevy 6.2" rods and your inner fanboy just can't allow it to be Ford tough with Chevy stuff?

1993 Camaro bracket car
2006 Altima daily
post #78 of 111 Old March 6th, 2014, 04:29 PM
The Dude Abides

Garage
Quote:
I've been pushing well over double stock hp on my stock rod/piston combo for the last 70k miles. It certainly can last if you have some restraint with the boost pressure and a good tune.

Why even bother with a 363 when you can punch a 9.5 deck out to a 418 or 427 and have the stronger block and mains to go with it? Not to mention be cheaper to build. Is it because the 351w stroker setups use Chevy 6.2" rods and your inner fanboy just can't allow it to be Ford tough with Chevy stuff?
I'm an enthusiast not a fucking fanboy.

and the 363 is a 8.2 in deck height, I suggested it because it's closest to 5.3/5.7/6.0 LSx. Using the Boss block it has a 4.125" bore so your rod ratio doesn't suck and it doesn't have the problems of a stock block 347.

363 CUBIC INCH 500 HP BOSS CRATE ENGINE FRONT SUMP | Part Details for M-6007-Z363FT* | Ford Racing Performance Parts

and it this doesn't use chevy junk.
post #79 of 111 Old March 6th, 2014, 04:40 PM
mab
Hardcore Enthusiast

Wheres the op? lol

O-1 USMC
2013 DIB GT Brembo with Nav- Sai Li tuned, On3 Twin Turbo, Dynomax Race Bullets, Magnaflow competition catback with quad tips, BMR everything
92 LX 5.0- Sold
98 Yamaha R1 turbo 248rwhp- Sold
85 GT dss, trickflow, procharged-Sold
post #80 of 111 Old March 6th, 2014, 05:07 PM
The Dude Abides

Garage
He jumped shipped to an LS forum where they applaud this stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page