Windsor Swap Into A SN95 - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 Old September 16th, 2006, 08:33 PM Thread Starter
RIP Justincredible! God Speed

Windsor Swap Into A SN95

Just did one. Wasnt too bad.

If anyone has any questions...feel free to ask.

[email protected] 134mph 1/4 - [email protected] 109mph 1/8th - 1.33 60' - Stock ECU & Stock Suspension......and getting faster .

BIVENS RACE CARS FTMFW!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old September 16th, 2006, 09:48 PM
Enthusiast

i have always considered this...did u do a carb 351w or efi?? stroker? mods? give us the low down

1995 GT::Sold!
Looking for another stang...
post #3 of 30 Old September 17th, 2006, 12:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-0stank
i have always considered this...did u do a carb 351w or efi?? stroker? mods? give us the low down
EFI.

Its a long rod (.624 longer than stock) 351 with a forged rotating assembley. Compresion came in at 10.3:1
TFS twisted wedge heads that have been gasket matched to a Felpro 1.62 intake gasket and Comp .720 lift double coil springs installed with 10deg. locks.
Comp Cam custom grind nitrous cam. (secret specs :wink )
TFS R (runner type) intake also port matched to the heads.

EFI was tuned with SCT software. 4 postion "flip chip"

Used a Fox body UPR K-member which set the block ~3.5 inches further back on the k-member. Had to message the firewall a fair amount to make room for the relocated block. If you were to use a SN95 K-member, the motor shouldnt have any issues with the fire wall.

With the motor relocated...in conjunction with Performance Automatics "Superbell" bellhousing, the C4 bolted in perfectly with no modifications to the tranny X-member. The stock length FRPP aluminum driveshaft worked out perfectly too.

Usualy when people go with a C4 tranny, the trans cross member has to be relocated and the driveshaft comes up too short.

The hardest part of the entire swap was getting a set of headers to fit. I was too cheep to buy a set of Kooks or have a custom set made. So I used a set of used Hooker long tube headers for a Fox body. They have 1 7/8" primarys and 3" collectors. The drivers side went in with no problems at all. The pass. side, I had to cut two of the primary tubes off and re-route them to get them to fit around the K-member and bellhousing.

Also saved some cash buy using an AutoZone remanufactured manual steering rack for a 88 coupe. Only had to change the sterring shaft flang and rod ends to get it to work with the wider SN95 tire spacing.

I got some build pics posted in the "new members" section.

Hope this info helps. Feel free to ask any more questions. I didnt have any prior info and had to learn the hard way with this install.
Hopefully I can help anyone here with this swap with what I learned with mine.

[email protected] 134mph 1/4 - [email protected] 109mph 1/8th - 1.33 60' - Stock ECU & Stock Suspension......and getting faster .

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 Old September 17th, 2006, 10:16 AM

That's pretty cool. I'm doing 351 based stroker in mine eventually. Sound like everthing turned out really good. Did you have to fabricate custom engine mounts? I'm sure I have a few better questions than that I'm just too tired to think of any right now.
post #5 of 30 Old September 17th, 2006, 01:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screemin3o2
That's pretty cool. I'm doing 351 based stroker in mine eventually. Sound like everthing turned out really good. Did you have to fabricate custom engine mounts? I'm sure I have a few better questions than that I'm just too tired to think of any right now.
Nope....I used a set of Energy Supension poly mounts. If I were to do it again, I belive I'd go ahead and go with a set of solid mounts instead. Im not too happy with the build quality of the Energy Suspn. peices.

Most of the solid mounts I looked at also lowered the block in the K-member. This would of been helpfull with my hood clearance issues. Hind sight is 20/20. When ever I take this engine out, Im going to swap some solid mounts in.

The reason I didnt go with them (solid) was because I was scared they would rattle the car too much...but after riding in some other cars with big cams and solid mounts, they arnt all that bad.

post #6 of 30 Old September 17th, 2006, 02:33 PM
Enthusiast

cool man. have u run it yet ??

post #7 of 30 Old September 17th, 2006, 02:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5-0stank
cool man. have u run it yet ??
Not yet...

Im taking it to the chassis dyno to get a final tune in two weeks. After that, I'll take it to the track and see how it does on the motor.

Once I get the chassis/suspen. shook down on the motor, I'll put my NX two stage plate on it go from there.

post #8 of 30 Old September 17th, 2006, 10:08 PM
Enthusiast

keep us informed

post #9 of 30 Old December 5th, 2006, 11:52 PM

Hey, im doing a 351 swap this winter, im just about read to order my 351w and ive done my homework. Your the first person ive found that did it to an sn95, which is what i have, so i bet you can help me.

For headers, did you just use the 351swap fox headers? IF you did for they long tubes, or shortys.

For the Distributer, what did you go with?

How high of a hood did you get to clear your intake.

What about the computer, what are you using to run it?
post #10 of 30 Old December 6th, 2006, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrider
Hey, im doing a 351 swap this winter, im just about read to order my 351w and ive done my homework. Your the first person ive found that did it to an sn95, which is what i have, so i bet you can help me.

For headers, did you just use the 351swap fox headers? IF you did for they long tubes, or shortys.

For the Distributer, what did you go with?

How high of a hood did you get to clear your intake.

What about the computer, what are you using to run it?
I used a set of 351 swap fox headers but had to cut and modify them to get them to work with my setup...because I moved my engine 3.75 inches back on the K-member.

I used an 1992 F-250 distributor (be sure to specify the "remote modual" type. Its a plug and play deal. Hooks right into your existing harness.
Also...if you use a roller cam, you'll have to remove the cast distributor gear and replace it with a steel or bronze gear thats compatible with the roller cam.

Im using the factory ECU and a SCT Flip Chip. I had my buddies at Speedy Dyno tune it. (see link in sig.)

Hope this helps.

post #11 of 30 Old February 10th, 2007, 07:48 PM

Hey guys, ... I have had a nice little project parked for the last few years waiting for a rebuild. It is a '95 GT convertible with a blown 302. I broke no, 5 journal clean in half. I have a friend looking into a 351W stroker design for me that would make use of my Holley SysteMax II intake, the fully ported Edlebrock Victor Jr's, and the bad ass custom solid lifter cam. Since I have a t-5 trans. , I need to change out the flywheel. I found a place that builds adapter plates for the Holley intake to allow it to match the extended head position. I will be replacing the oil pump, distributor, and oil pan. So far, the only thing that seems to be at question is the headers. I have long tube BBK ceramics on the 302. The 302 had over 450HP and still got an incredible 25 mpg at 120mph and 4500 RPM maintained for 2 hours. We dyno for high and low emissions here in Houston, TX for State Inspections. It always passed with only 2 particles per million. I guess this motor will be interesting to compare when done.
post #12 of 30 Old February 10th, 2007, 11:03 PM
Regular

I'm actually in the process of putting my 351w BACK in. i took it out to fix the rear main seal and just got it in today, a couple more hours of work and she should be running again.

You are going to love the 351, i promise you. mine runs really loud with the cam and exhaust i have, i have to crank the radio just to hear it.

Justin, let me know what kind of numbers you come up with at the dyno, and track when you get it there. I am going to be in germany for two years and will sadly be leaving my baby behind
post #13 of 30 Old February 11th, 2007, 05:04 AM
Regular

I FINALLY GOT IT IN!!! it was a bitch but after three days of working on it in 0 degree chicago weather, my baby is running again. i took it out to test everything and long behold, ran into a civic i smoked, posted it under the kill section
post #14 of 30 Old February 19th, 2007, 03:17 PM

MAC Hedman and CHP (coast high performance) all offer Longtube headers for a 351 swap into a sn-95
post #15 of 30 Old February 19th, 2007, 07:10 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasperstang308
MAC Hedman and CHP (coast high performance) all offer Longtube headers for a 351 swap into a sn-95
really...i couldnt find any from these guys. if you could post the links, it would be appreciated.

post #16 of 30 Old June 17th, 2007, 11:43 PM

351 Conversion - Fox hood clearance

Just wanted you guys to know in case you wanted to use this information.

If hood clearance is a huge concern then you need to do the following:

Contact Joe Gosinski at Chicane Sport Tuning in Torrance and have him tool you up a set of the convertible fox motormounts. They save a little .625 of an inch and they do not give you the rough ride of the solid drop all metal mounts.

You then need to get a 94-95 or 93 upper cobra intake and have it ported to your standards.

Get the lower gt40 5.8 intake

You will have the lower intake cut by .400 of an inch on the matting surfaces.

Cut the upper by .350 of an inch on the matting surfaces if using a 1993 cobra and you do not have to if you are using a 94-95. However, you will have to cut this intake open and do some porting to ger the same airflow.

Custom motor mounts cut by .625

Move the motor rearward by 1.1 of an inch

With all this done it will fit under the hood. There is a significant difference in airflow that is required to properly feed the windsor. My guy ported my upper 1993 cobra and the lower gt40 351 intake and it was flow tested at 275 cfm (Thomas Moss). The cost for the intake is around $1000 for the portwork and welding, repaint, etc. I wanted all of the welding marks removed and that was a labor intensive project. My guy is substainatially cheaper for just the standard porting, even with the cut open jobs. there are tons of aftermarket intakes out there that flow a great deal more air. For my car, I wanted it to look as close to FORD OEM as possible, and have all of the smog related parts and everything in working order. I dont particularly like all of the other aftermarket parts, also, hood clearance. All these mods gets you 1.375 inch and moving the motor back an inch gets you another .75 or so. You only need 1.5 inch of additional clearance. The 302 deck height is about 8.2 inches and the 94-97 production 351 blocks are about 9.5 inches tall.

Again,if any of you guys know anyone with an s351. Those cars were done very close to this. They used a heavily modified 1993 cobra intake.

I hope this helps.....
post #17 of 30 Old June 18th, 2007, 12:05 AM

351 Conversion - Fox hood clearance

Just wanted you guys to know in case you wanted to use this information.

If hood clearance is a huge concern then you need to do the following:

Contact Joe Gosinski at Chicane Sport Tuning in Torrance and have him tool you up a set of the convertible fox motormounts. They save a little .625 of an inch and they do not give you the rough ride of the solid drop all metal mounts.

You then need to get a 94-95 or 93 upper cobra intake and have it ported to your standards.

Get the lower gt40 5.8 intake

You will have the lower intake cut by .400 of an inch on the matting surfaces.

Cut the upper by .350 of an inch on the matting surfaces if using a 1993 cobra and you do not have to if you are using a 94-95. However, you will have to cut this intake open and do some porting to ger the same airflow.

Custom motor mounts cut by .625

Move the motor rearward by 1.1 of an inch

With all this done it will fit under the hood. There is a significant difference in airflow that is required to properly feed the windsor. My guy ported my upper 1993 cobra and the lower gt40 351 intake and it was flow tested at 275 cfm (Thomas Moss). The cost for the intake is around $1000 for the portwork and welding, repaint, etc. I wanted all of the welding marks removed and that was a labor intensive project. My guy is substainatially cheaper for just the standard porting, even with the cut open jobs. there are tons of aftermarket intakes out there that flow a great deal more air. For my car, I wanted it to look as close to FORD OEM as possible, and have all of the smog related parts and everything in working order. I dont particularly like all of the other aftermarket parts, also, hood clearance. All these mods gets you 1.375 inch and moving the motor back an inch gets you another .75 or so. You only need 1.5 inch of additional clearance. The 302 deck height is about 8.2 inches and the 94-97 production 351 blocks are about 9.5 inches tall.

Again,if any of you guys know anyone with an s351. Those cars were done very close to this. They used a heavily modified 1993 cobra intake.

I hope this helps.....
post #18 of 30 Old June 18th, 2007, 10:12 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

I want to do a 351 swap, I currently got a 302. I"m looking for about 400 natural rwhp, then maybe about 100 shot of nitrous.

I need a list of what exactly to have to swap everything over.
I currently only the upper intake trick flow Street Heat.

I found a few links... But I need a list will make it easier, I do not have alot of time to spent research, so guys who have done it already, PLEASE I want to get this done this summer. I'm get a week off, so I can do some more research and get all the needed parts.

Thanks alot.

Giving Away For FREE PM ME.
FREE 351 Block, 90,xxx miles (Non roller block)
FREE 94-98 GT Hood (red)
post #19 of 30 Old June 18th, 2007, 04:09 PM

I been thinking of doing tis swap also put thinking of going 347, Im weighing the cost differences. But I sure would like to go manual steering and was wondering if you could be a little more specific about the 88 coupe rack you put in. Ive already callad Autozone and they couldnt tell me the ratio of the rack only that its for a 4 cyl. Any help would be appreciated Thanks.
post #20 of 30 Old March 22nd, 2010, 04:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justincredible View Post
Just did one. Wasnt too bad.

If anyone has any questions...feel free to ask.
Hey I'm planning on doing this setup but running a 750 or 850 demon carb on a vic jr. intake with a forged rotating assembly, comp valvetrain, afr heads and 6-71 charger.
My Mustang is a 3.8 v6 5 speed right now, so could you give me a rundown on all of the new parts I would need? Like motor mounts, radiator, transmission mounts, K brace, X brace, all of that stuff.
I'm going to be running it with a World Class rebuilt t5 tranny from an older 5.0 Mustang as well

Thanks to any and all that respond!

**Hope is not a plan, change is not a destination.**
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/5-0-mustangs/5214-windsor-swap-into-sn95.html
Posted By For Type Date
302 swap This thread Refback December 29th, 2013 10:13 AM
302 swap - DriftLive Community This thread Refback September 1st, 2013 12:31 PM
302 swap - DriftLive Community This thread Refback January 22nd, 2013 09:32 AM
302 swap - DriftLive Community This thread Refback January 21st, 2013 11:42 AM
351 tranny | Mustang Forums at StangNet This thread Refback January 20th, 2013 09:16 PM
Windsor Swap Into A SN95 This thread Refback September 26th, 2012 09:25 PM
351W swap questions This thread Refback February 12th, 2011 05:36 PM
351W swap questions - BMC Forums - Black Mustang Club This thread Refback September 2nd, 2008 12:49 PM
Razine.com This thread Refback July 25th, 2008 12:14 AM
Razine.com This thread Refback July 18th, 2008 02:44 PM
Razine.com This thread Refback June 28th, 2008 10:15 AM