Forums at Modded Mustangs

Forums at Modded Mustangs (https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/)
-   5.0 Mustangs (https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/5-0-mustangs/)
-   -   New Mustang Owner Here...Injectors? Dyno Tune? (https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/5-0-mustangs/559578-new-mustang-owner-here-injectors-dyno-tune.html)

calister622 July 28th, 2015 09:30 PM

New Mustang Owner Here...Injectors? Dyno Tune?

This is my first Mustang ever owned after making the transition from the "Honda Tuners". I recently purchased a 92' Mustang GT 5.0. The following mods were already installed in the car but the car has been accelerating kind of slow and I feel like its missing some power. I know the car has had a full tune up including plugs, rotor, cap, wires etc. I just recently changed the oil and the coolant has been flushed and new tranny fluid, water pump, belt, and alternator. I got to looking around and pulled the filter off the CAI and it was completely filthy. Full of dead bugs and dirt and looked like it hadnt been change in 50k miles or so. I cleaned it with my K&N recharge kit as best as I could but could only get it about 50% clean. I noticed right off the bat it ran a little smoother and had some better pickup.

I plan on just purchasing a new BBK filter to put on it and I assume the fuel filter has never been changed either so I plan on doing that this weekend. The car idles perfect its just on pickup its lacking. I also plan on getting the car dyno tuned in the next month or so and I am wondering if the stock 19lb injectors will be sufficient enough to support my mods. Also what do you think the car will put down on the dyno? I am guessing it has around 300HP to the crank so maybe 270ish to the wheels?

-BBK CAI
-BBK 70MM TB
-Edelbrock Performer RPM II Intake Manifold
-Edelbrock Aluminum Heads
-Ford Racing E-303 Cam
-MSD Ignition
-Ford Racing Wires
-BBK Long Tube Headers
-O/R H-Pipe-Flowmasters

Gears are unknown. I was told it has 3.73's but the guy who had it before me didnt know for sure. Anyway for me to find out?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

07gtS197 July 28th, 2015 10:11 PM

150 Attachment(s)
Congrats on the pick up man! As far as figuring out if it has 3.73s, put a piece of tape on the rear tire while the rear end is off the ground, spin the rear tire once while counting how many times the driveshaft turns. 3.73s will turn the driveshaft 3 and about 3/4s turns.

As far as current power, its probably putting down closer to 220-250 at the rear wheels since there isnt much done to it. Oh and stay away from BBK products, theyre known to be crap quality.

And welcome to ModdedMustangs!

Shelbydog! July 28th, 2015 10:15 PM

Fuel filter would be a good place to start, they can get absolutely filthy inside.

calister622 July 28th, 2015 11:10 PM

Ok thanks for the help guys! What are your thoughts on the stock 19lb injectors? I was told I just upgrade to at least 24's if not 30's and then get it dyno tuned.

07gtS197 July 28th, 2015 11:46 PM

150 Attachment(s)
The 19 pounders are good up to about 300rwhp. If you plan on making more than that then yes buy a larger set. But in that case you might as well make a plan of what youre going to do with your car so you dont needlessly spend money.

foxfive July 29th, 2015 10:15 AM

I would say your close to 250-260 at the rear having the aluminum heads. 24 lb injectors wouldn't hurt but you will have to recalibrate your MAF or get a new one. As far as BBK parts I haven't really had an issue with them, BBK has been in the 5.0 Mustang game for a long time. Is there better stuff out there, Yes, but there's nothing wrong with BBK.

calister622 July 29th, 2015 12:18 PM

Has anybody here had their foxbody dyno tuned? Is it just a chip they put into the computer?

calister622 July 29th, 2015 08:59 PM

When I am driving the car and punch it a little to accelerate fast I feel it start to pick up then it just kind of flattens out and does not accelerate like its supposed to. I got home and looked around and here is the P/N on the MAF. Ford F1ZF-12B579-AA AFH55-03B. Anybody know what size this is or if it is the right one?

07gtS197 July 29th, 2015 09:06 PM

150 Attachment(s)
Ive never owned a fox but yes you can use what youre talking about but I think thats youre only choice since it doesnt have obd2. As far as the maf goes, why do u need the part number? Dont just start throwing parts at the car and hope something fixes the problem

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

calister622 July 29th, 2015 09:20 PM

That P/N is the MAF that is currently on it. After research that is the stock MAF for a 92' 5.0 I believe. With all of the mods that I have is the stock MAF sufficient?

07gtS197 July 29th, 2015 09:34 PM

150 Attachment(s)
Oh ok gotcha. I believe that 19s max out at 300rwhp so you should be good for now

calister622 July 29th, 2015 09:35 PM

I was told the MAF housing should be the same size as the TB or bigger. In my case I have a 70mm TB and I will check the housing on my MAF tomorrow but I believe it is the stock 55mm size. So if it is the 55mm size would that probably be my problem right there?

07gtS197 July 29th, 2015 09:38 PM

150 Attachment(s)
I dont know who told you that but I dont believe thats true or else youd see a lot of different size maf's and a lot of people would swap them out

foxfive July 29th, 2015 10:36 PM

I have a BBK 65 mm t body and a BBK 76 mm MAF.

calister622 July 29th, 2015 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foxfive (Post 10798105)
I have a BBK 65 mm t body and a BBK 76 mm MAF.

Are you still using the stock MAF sensor? What lb injectors are you running?

foxfive July 29th, 2015 11:35 PM

No BBK MAF with 19lb injectors. My car has stock heads with Crane 1.7 Roller Rockers and a Trickflow Track Heat upper/lower intake. Whatever you decide the MAF has to be calibrated for the injectors you choose. I have a set of 24 #injectors but my car isn't ready for them yet.

calister622 July 30th, 2015 10:23 AM

Do you know if the stock MAF can be calibrated by a tuner when you go to get it dyno tuned?

---------- Post added at 01:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:23 PM ----------

If my car still has the stock 55mm MAF Housing then I am going to order a BBK 76mm housing.

---------- Post added at 02:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:24 PM ----------

So I got a better look at my fuel injectors and noticed they are a pinkish color. They are P/N # 0-280-150-561. After doing some research I believe they are the Bosch injectors rated for 22lb/h at 43.5 psi, which when operated at 40psi becomes a 21.09 lb/h injector sqrt(40/43.5) * 22. They look exactly like these

http://www.thirdgen.org/forums/tpi/4...ors-these.html

So if the car is running these 21/22lb injectors and it still has the factory MAF sensor for 19lb injectors is this my main problem right here?

foxfive July 30th, 2015 11:47 AM

Could be. Factory 19lb are orange. Your MAF needs to match your injectors. If you get a new MAF it will come with a scribed plate on it saying what it's calibrated for. They can be re calibrated.

calister622 July 30th, 2015 11:54 AM

Yeah mine aren't orange, they are like a dark pinkish color. I looked them up and it looks like they are the injectors that come stock on 00-04 Mustang GT's.

foxfive July 30th, 2015 12:45 PM

Grab some blue Ford 24lb injectors and a 24lb calibrated MAF. Sometimes you have to throw parts at the car and check the outcome. If your running unknown injectors paired to a stock MAF it wouldn't be a waste of money, just another piece of the puzzle.