Which Headlights: Projector, Led, or Hid - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 35 Old August 5th, 2015, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
Regular

Which Headlights: Projector, Led, or Hid

It's that time for mods fellas and have a few items on the list. Looking at getting a ONE PIECE Headlight for my 95 and also wanting to probably go with a set of Projector halo foglights. I have to get a body shop to construct a bracket for the fog lamps so they will not have to be mounted in my bumper as they are now. I have a Saleen front by the way. So looking at for headlights, either projector, LED, or HID. Looking at some at American Muscle now and for the Raxiom Chromes some reviews are saying that the low beams aren't that great on low lighting roads. Just trying to get you guys ideas and thoughts on the matter and maybe you installed some and heard better things about others and maybe wished you went with something else

Edel per rpm2, Custom grind cam via of Shaun Harrelson ,TF heads, 75maf,70tb,Basani X,Mac Shorties,3.55 gears,Rear UCA/LCA's,Hotchkis CC's, 24 lb inj, 255 lb ph FP, , Tuned in 2014 with Chris Tuton,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 35 Old August 5th, 2015, 12:43 PM
Enthusiast

Garage
Personally I think HALO projectors look like crap and dont add anything. Also the projectors in them are not suitable for HIDs. I currently have the extreme smoked clear corner lights for my 03, and run DDM HIDs in them. They are plenty bright, high and low beam, even with the tint, and if aimed correctly dont need projectors (though they would give a cleaner cut off). Also it was ~50 on sale for the headlight Hi/low kit and my fog kit, and it has a lifetime warranty. I would get a basic clear or smoked light setup and DDM HIDs. LEDs may be good, but I have never run them so I cant offer any insight.

2003 Redfire & Black V6. Full suspension, 8.8 w/ 4.10s, tuned. 4.3L stroker + turbo capable of 550 hp soon

1992 5.0 Auto Hatchback...needs wiring, interior, ...basically everything

RIP: 2015 SHO PP, 12.87 @107 1/4 mile
post #3 of 35 Old August 5th, 2015, 01:00 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derfdog15 View Post
Personally I think HALO projectors look like crap and dont add anything. Also the projectors in them are not suitable for HIDs. I currently have the extreme smoked clear corner lights for my 03, and run DDM HIDs in them. They are plenty bright, high and low beam, even with the tint, and if aimed correctly dont need projectors (though they would give a cleaner cut off). Also it was ~50 on sale for the headlight Hi/low kit and my fog kit, and it has a lifetime warranty. I would get a basic clear or smoked light setup and DDM HIDs. LEDs may be good, but I have never run them so I cant offer any insight.
I want clears. So basically the clear housing and DDM HID bulbs? Does most places offer them them like that, buying seperate like that or I would just have to take the bulbs that come with them out and put the HID's in?

similiar to one's in this video:

Edel per rpm2, Custom grind cam via of Shaun Harrelson ,TF heads, 75maf,70tb,Basani X,Mac Shorties,3.55 gears,Rear UCA/LCA's,Hotchkis CC's, 24 lb inj, 255 lb ph FP, , Tuned in 2014 with Chris Tuton,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 35 Old August 5th, 2015, 01:19 PM
Enthusiast

Garage
You would have to buy seperate, and install the HID kit on your own at your own convenience.

DDM Tuning: HID and LED Lighting

IDK if this link will go through, but you will want 9007 Hi/low (+20), 6000k bulb color or 5000k would be my recommendations, maybe even 4500k for the most white light. You will be fine with 35W, and its cheaper for 35W. Also I recommend the mounting brackets, though they seem flimsy they hold up very well( and while they could be fabricated easily this saves time)
This is your basic bulb color chart.
https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=JN.fgPv...A&pid=15.1&P=0

A housing like one these would be good
One-Piece Mustang Chrome Headlight Set (94-98 All) - Free Shipping
One-Piece Mustang Black Headlight Set (94-98 All) - Free Shipping

Id recommend the black for HIDs so they dont reflect as badly. Again dont get one of the LED/other HALO projector type housings unless it specifically says it works for HIDs, most of them make the HID aim crazy, and can melt from additional heat.

IF you do want one of the projectors that isnt suited for HIDs, then LEDs may be a good option, or a good set of bulbs like Sylvania silverstars.

Again, I know ive said this a ton, dont do HIDs in a NON HID projector, it will be be bad for the housing and for other drivers. Also make sure to aim the lights down once you do install, so they are on the road and not in peoples eyes (I have a lifted F150 with DDM HIDs that I did this too, and it does not seem to blind people at all).

You could also get away with Ebay basic 1 piece housings, just make sure that you seal them with silicone before install (you should do this anyway).

2003 Redfire & Black V6. Full suspension, 8.8 w/ 4.10s, tuned. 4.3L stroker + turbo capable of 550 hp soon

post #5 of 35 Old August 5th, 2015, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
You would have to buy seperate, and install the HID kit on your own at your own convenience.

DDM Tuning: HID and LED Lighting

IDK if this link will go through, but you will want 9007 Hi/low (+20), 6000k bulb color or 5000k would be my recommendations, maybe even 4500k for the most white light. You will be fine with 35W, and its cheaper for 35W. Also I recommend the mounting brackets, though they seem flimsy they hold up very well( and while they could be fabricated easily this saves time)
This is your basic bulb color chart.
https://sp.yimg.com/ib/th?id=JN.fgPv...A&pid=15.1&P=0

A housing like one these would be good
One-Piece Mustang Chrome Headlight Set (94-98 All) - Free Shipping

Id recommend the black for HIDs so they dont reflect as badly. Again dont get one of the LED/other HALO projector type housings unless it specifically says it works for HIDs, most of them make the HID aim crazy, and can melt from additional heat.

IF you do want one of the projectors that isnt suited for HIDs, then LEDs may be a good option, or a good set of bulbs like Sylvania silverstars.

Again, I know ive said this a ton, dont do HIDs in a NON HID projector, it will be be bad for the housing and for other drivers. Also make sure to aim the lights down once you do install, so they are on the road and not in peoples eyes (I have a lifted F150 with DDM HIDs that I did this too, and it does not seem to blind people at all).

You could also get away with Ebay basic 1 piece housings, just make sure that you seal them with silicone before install (you should do this anyway).
cool and thanks for the insight. I will check out the links and research when i get time probably tonite. I may have more questions once i do. I understand that if i requote your last post again, you won't get a notification right? If not might have to PM you and tell you to reply here ....

post #6 of 35 Old August 5th, 2015, 02:27 PM
Enthusiast

Garage
I have no clue on the quote thing. That said, I check my subscriptions pretty regularly when im not busy, so if you post tonight I will answer by sometime tomorrow most likely. Any questions, feel free to ask.

post #7 of 35 Old August 5th, 2015, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
I have no clue on the quote thing. That said, I check my subscriptions pretty regularly when im not busy, so if you post tonight I will answer by sometime tomorrow most likely. Any questions, feel free to ask.
cool, sounds good

more than likely i will take it to a shop and let them install the headlights and fog lights because i want a bracket for the FL's done to have them sit in the bumper housing , not like i have them mounted in the actual holes of the bumper now. Not sure the brackets you told me about will have them sit perfectly but will check out when i look at link later.

I will make sure they have a good electrical person on hand who is going to wire them up.

post #8 of 35 Old August 5th, 2015, 03:08 PM
Enthusiast

Garage
The brackets that I mentioned are for the actual HID stuff, they have a ballast (which is a small rectangular box) that has to be mounted to give them power. The mounting bracket attaches to the back of the ballast, and then you can bolt it into an existing hole on the engine bay frame or make your own at your own convenience. The wiring is pretty easy also, the high low switch has some instructions but then just plugs into the normal headlight switch. The ballasts also plug into this I believe. then you just an external ground, and a connection to the battery, as well as a switched/powered connection to the parking lamp power so the HIDs get power when the parking lamps are on.

post #9 of 35 Old August 5th, 2015, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
The brackets that I mentioned are for the actual HID stuff, they have a ballast (which is a small rectangular box) that has to be mounted to give them power. The mounting bracket attaches to the back of the ballast, and then you can bolt it into an existing hole on the engine bay frame or make your own at your own convenience. The wiring is pretty easy also, the high low switch has some instructions but then just plugs into the normal headlight switch. The ballasts also plug into this I believe. then you just an external ground, and a connection to the battery, as well as a switched/powered connection to the parking lamp power so the HIDs get power when the parking lamps are on.
ok cook. Yeah not sure why i mentioned the brackets as they are for the HL's anyway and not the projector halo foglights i will buy lol. I still will more than likely let an auto shop do it providing im comfortable with them doing it

---------- Post added at 03:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:54 PM ----------

Quote:
I just checked out one link you provided and it shows the clear one piece light from American muscle. I would prefer the one from the youtube video(pic) in post # 3 of this thread. I like that look better. Are those the one's that you think aren't good to go with? I like that look when they are lit up. If you can show me a pic of the setup you are talking about ( lit up), that might persuade me

also i hate the rubber seal around the headlights as the ones I've had last ( even though it was on the car awhile), the rubber started cracking and breaking. Not sure how long it took to start though. I think I've seen some without the rubber

post #10 of 35 Old August 5th, 2015, 04:10 PM
Enthusiast

Garage
Theres some pictures here
SN95 Headlights Pics & Info - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

and here

The reason I said not to do HIDs with what you showed was that some of the projectors can melt. I would ask on here and see if someone has more experience as I have never done it with that type of headlights. The clear housings were just a sugestion. Also if you got something like you pictured, the bulbs would be different for hi and low I believe, and you would need 2 different HID kits, one for the low beam bulb type and one for the high beam type, and that complicates things.

If you have any other questions @from6to8 just let me know

post #11 of 35 Old August 5th, 2015, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
Theres some pictures here
SN95 Headlights Pics & Info - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum

and here

The reason I said not to do HIDs with what you showed was that some of the projectors can melt. I would ask on here and see if someone has more experience as I have never done it with that type of headlights. The clear housings were just a sugestion. Also if you got something like you pictured, the bulbs would be different for hi and low I believe, and you would need 2 different HID kits, one for the low beam bulb type and one for the high beam type, and that complicates things.

If you have any other questions @from6to8 just let me know
so the one's I showed are projectors? I'm new to the whole Led, hid, projector lighting.

post #12 of 35 Old August 5th, 2015, 04:39 PM
Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by from6to8 View Post
so the one's I showed are projectors? I'm new to the whole Led, hid, projector lighting.
From the picture it looks like it. Generally the Halo outlines the projector. Do you have a link for the actual part?

post #13 of 35 Old August 5th, 2015, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
From the picture it looks like it. Generally the Halo outlines the projector. Do you have a link for the actual part?
this is from american muscle:
Raxiom Chrome Mustang Halo Projector Headlights 42009 (94-98 All) - Free Shipping

https://www.google.com/search?q=proj...cTcRM16sp6M%3A

2nd link is an image on google .

that video says 94-98 projector headlights. Maybe i need to ask some guys who guy them if they are overall satisfied

---------- Post added at 04:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:04 PM ----------

a video that shows them defined

---------- Post added at 04:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:11 PM ----------

another vid , or the one i just edited

---------- Post added at 04:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:11 PM ----------

Quote:

post #14 of 35 Old August 5th, 2015, 09:12 PM
Enthusiast

Garage
From the link:
"Bulb application. These One Piece Halo Projector Headlights include 9005 bulbs for high beams and H3 bulbs for low beams.
Technical Note. Not intended for use with vehicles equipped with Daytime Running Lights or HID Kits.
"

Those are the two things I mentioned earlier. To use HIDs with the headlights from american muscle, you would need a 9005 kit for high beams and an H3 kit for low beams (which would be more expensive then a hi/low kit for 9007)

BUT you arent supposed to put HIDs into the Raxiom housing. If you are dead set on the raxioms, then either test LED bulbs (i have no knowledge on them, but they are used in higher dollar cars so they must be good to some extent) OR get a good set of bulbs like silvania silverstars, since you say people complain about the low beams try to just replace the low beam bulb and then if the high beam needs replaced do that later on.

post #15 of 35 Old August 5th, 2015, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
From the link:
"Bulb application. These One Piece Halo Projector Headlights include 9005 bulbs for high beams and H3 bulbs for low beams.
Technical Note. Not intended for use with vehicles equipped with Daytime Running Lights or HID Kits.
"

Those are the two things I mentioned earlier. To use HIDs with the headlights from american muscle, you would need a 9005 kit for high beams and an H3 kit for low beams (which would be more expensive then a hi/low kit for 9007)

BUT you arent supposed to put HIDs into the Raxiom housing. If you are dead set on the raxioms, then either test LED bulbs (i have no knowledge on them, but they are used in higher dollar cars so they must be good to some extent) OR get a good set of bulbs like silvania silverstars, since you say people complain about the low beams try to just replace the low beam bulb and then if the high beam needs replaced do that later on.
so the 9005 kit and the H3 kit are not Hid bulbs right? Do most lights not come with bulbs and you have to purchase separately?

post #16 of 35 Old August 6th, 2015, 10:28 AM
Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
so the 9005 kit and the H3 kit are not Hid bulbs right? Do most lights not come with bulbs and you have to purchase separately?
Correct they are not HIDs. Most aftermarket setups like that do come with bulbs, BUT they are usually not the best quality.

post #17 of 35 Old August 6th, 2015, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
Correct they are not HIDs. Most aftermarket setups like that do come with bulbs, BUT they are usually not the best quality.
cool cool yeah i have to dig a little more . One of my friends said he heard that some projection housings might not do well with some Led and Hid's.

post #18 of 35 Old August 6th, 2015, 12:57 PM
Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
cool cool yeah i have to dig a little more . One of my friends said he heard that some projection housings might not do well with some Led and Hid's.
Yeah most of them for sure shouldnt have HIDs due to heat. I dont really know on the LED durability

post #19 of 35 Old August 6th, 2015, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
Yeah most of them for sure shouldnt have HIDs due to heat. I dont really know on the LED durability
Anything on this page :

94-98 mustang hid lights | eBay

post #20 of 35 Old August 6th, 2015, 03:28 PM
Enthusiast

Garage
I think most of those should work. Im not sure on the projector style housings there though. The clear ones are cheaper/knock offs of the Raxiom stuff if they are the one piece. I cant see issue with that style. I would however just get the housings on E-bay/wherever and get a kit from DDM if you want a cheap kit, because E-bay kits dont have a warranty, are usually knock-offs of the DDM kit, and tend to have pretty bad durability.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page