Forums at Modded Mustangs

Forums at Modded Mustangs (https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/)
-   5.0 Mustangs (https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/5-0-mustangs/)
-   -   on3 turbo on stock 5.0 (https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/5-0-mustangs/604569-on3-turbo-stock-5-0-a.html)

maxgst June 14th, 2016 03:06 PM

on3 turbo on stock 5.0

Hey everybody, im doing some maintenance in preparation for on on3 turbo kit.

I have the engine out of the car, and will upgrading head gaskets, all the gaskets in the engine, and head bolts.

I will also replace the oil pump, rear seal, and upgrade the clutch while I have the engine out.

What else should I upgrade for a reliable 380-400 hp car?

Im new to the 5.0's and have been doing some research. The engine is out of a 1987 so its speed density right? What would I need to do to to convert to maf?

And what do I need to be able to have a tuner tune my stock ecu?

nxcoupe June 16th, 2016 05:54 PM

You need an A9L computer and an ebay mass air harness. Get the one that comes with three extra wires and really good instructions. The ones that come with just the maf plug are garbage.
Use 9333 PT1 head gaskets, nothing else. Use ARP head STUDS, not bolts, since you are doing this. I wouldn't have thought it necessary, but you're being thorough and I like that.
Any good tuner can tune the car once you get that done. Do the tuner a favor and don't buy their POS maf they sell with the crap welded on bung. Buy a ProM 3" protube calibrated for your injectors. You should probably be running 42's which aren't hard to find.
You also want to replace your fuel pump with a GSS340 walbro pump or something larger.

ranger56528 June 28th, 2016 01:36 AM

PMAS HPX slot style is the MAF you need or something like it.

---------- Post added at 10:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 PM ----------

Get the Moates Quarterhores for tuning or something like that and go a step or 2 cooler on plugs,hard to change once headers are on. Make sure the crossover pipe is going to clear your sway arm and harmonic balancer,mine had about a 1" of clearance and still vibrated into my balancer and took it out.

maxgst June 30th, 2016 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranger56528 (Post 11566234)

---------- Post added at 10:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 PM ----------

Get the Moates Quarterhores for tuning or something like that and go a step or 2 cooler on plugs,hard to change once headers are on. Make sure the crossover pipe is going to clear your sway arm and harmonic balancer,mine had about a 1" of clearance and still vibrated into my balancer and took it out.

Can I use my stock computer, with the mass air harnes, and MAF, with the quarterhouse?

ranger56528 July 3rd, 2016 11:46 AM

Use stock ECM and if you go PMAS HPX slot style for MAF witch also acts as your air temp sensor you just rewire for the MAF plug in witch is real easy,heck I did it and I'm no good at wiring. They will weld in the bung at on3 for your PMAS for a few extra bucks if you want witch I recommend then it's done.
You can use Moats QuarterHorse with Binary Editor or whatever you want for engine management but you will need to Dyno tune to get the most out of it not unless your a math and electric guru and can do it without a Dyno but I would Dyno it.
A lot of things will depend on what tuner/engine management you go with but you still retain/keep your ECM and put the chip in it.

---------- Post added at 08:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:41 AM ----------

Should add that when you get the turbo installed you can just find a good tuner in your area and they will more then likely use the tuner they are familiar with and then you don't need to worry about it,just tell them what turbo set up you used and they will tune from that.
Call and see what they are using for engine management.

nxcoupe July 20th, 2016 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maxgst (Post 11568882)
Can I use my stock computer, with the mass air harnes, and MAF, with the quarterhouse?

I read too fast and thought your car was an 87. What year is your car? Which computer is in it?

---------- Post added at 12:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:46 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranger56528 (Post 11566234)

Just an fyi, PMAS went under years ago, what's left is a guy with a stand in his basement or wherever doing them for On3 and a few others. I've had issues with one in 3 that came through my shop. Do yourself and others a favor and don't recommend the PMAS, ProM makes a 3" blow through tube that can be rotated to achieve the best read. On3's welding is decent but where they put it and if it seals are two other issues.
Also, telling someone that doesn't know what computer they have to grab a moates quarterhorse is like telling someone with appendicitis to go buy a scalpel and some sutures and do it themselves. He should take it to a competent tuner and get it done. Learning to tune is a very steep learning curve and can take an engine with it if not carefully done. Not bashing you, just tossing my opinion in the mix.

nxcoupe August 4th, 2016 03:59 PM

Actually, correction to that. PMAS seems to have been resurrected from the dead here recently, as I received vendor information from them. I am a ProM dealer and stick with them. Chris does it right and I rarely have an issue with one of their meters.

foxfive August 18th, 2016 05:24 PM

Put a top end kit on it and call it good.

VM0824 October 4th, 2016 09:56 AM

I tuned with a quarterhorse on an A9L for this same setup. Works great. A bit of a learning curve, but if your diligent enough you can get it right.

Also, +1 on the head studs. I did NOT do this at first, ended up blowing my head gasket pretty quickly after introducing boost. Now I have the ARP studs and never looked back.

maxgst February 21st, 2019 06:17 PM

Only took me 2 1/2 years lol. Going to be tuning it next week.

https://scontent-mia3-2.xx.fbcdn.net...5e&oe=5CEE0FA6