supercharger question. - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old March 21st, 2017, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Regular

supercharger question.

Hello.
I am going to be installing a vortech SI series supercharger in my 89 convertible. I built a 331 stroker engine for it a couple years ago and I built it planning for a supercharger. one of the things I did when I built it was to install a 255 lph fuel pump in the tank. my question is, the vortech kit comes with an inline fuel pump. I do not believe I should need to use this, and I would prefer not to use an inline pump if I don't need one. I much prefer the in tank pump for many reasons. anyway. if anyone has installed one of these kits what would be the reason I would need this pump. I assume it is just in cases where the vehicle it is being installed in is stock and the stock fuel pump is not up to the task.

attached is the complete specs of my engine if any of that information is necessary.

331 Liberator DIY Shortblock -
Roller 5.0 Machine Block
-Oven Baked
-Shotblasted (Remove Scale, Rust)
-Magnafluxed for Cracks
-Cylinders bored on Kwik-Way Boring Bar and Table
-Finish honed on Sunnen SV-616 Hone with BHJ
Aluminum Torque Plates, Fel Pro Head Gaskets and ARP
Hardware (.0001-0002 Taper MAX)
-Plateau Brushed (Provides Instant Ring Seal)
-Main Bearing Bores Align Honed on a Sunnen CH-100
Hone
-Deck surfaced on a DCM Tech 3810 surfacer (Ra Finish
compatible with MLS Gaskets)
-Screw In Oil Galley Plugs
-Lifter Valley Oil Drain Backs Chamferred
-Oil Filter Inlet Chaferred
-Threaded Holes Chased
-Lifter Bores Honed
-Crankshaft Balancing done on Hines Dominator XP
Digital Balancer - Balanced to 28oz
Block Painted - DARK FORD BLUE

Short block engine components
Scat Cast Steel 3.250 Crankshaft
Scat Forged Steel I Beam Connecting Rods 5.400
Wiseco 2618 Forged Pistons (-14cc, Inline) 4.030
Wiseco GFX Ring Package
Clevite 77 Main Bearings
Clevite 77 Rod Bearings
Clevite 77 Cam Bearings
Screw in Oil Galley Plugs
Fel Pro Rear Main Seal
ARP Main Studs
Freeze Plugs
FordStrokers Custom HYD Roller Billet Camshaft specifications:
PART #: 35-000-9 ENGINE: FORD 351 WINDSOR
GRINDING INSTRUCTIONS 1
"" "" 2
"" "" 3
GRIND #: FW "McCance"
SPC INST 1:
SPC INST 2:
J. DIAM: STD INT EXH
VALVE ADJUSTMENT HYD HYD
GROSS VALVE LIFT .568 .566
DURATION @ .006
TAPPET LIFT 266 276
VALVE TIMING OPEN CLOSE
@ .050 INT 0 36
EXH 48 4-
SPECS FOR CAM INST. @ 108.0 CENTERLINE
INT EXH
DURATION @ .050 216.00 224.00
LOBE LIFT .355 .354
LOBE SEPARATION 112.0 FIRING ORDER STD
ROCKER ARM RATIO 1.60 1.60

ARP Cam Bolt
Cam Retainer Plate
SA Gear Billet Timing Chain w/Torrington Bearing
Melling Oil Pump M68
ARP Oil Pump Bolts
Fel Pro 1 Piece Pan Gasket
ARP Billet Oil Pumpshaft
Mr. Gasket Oil Pan Bolts
Timing Chain Cover - Fox Body
Fel Pro Timing Chain Cover Gasket Set
Powerbond SFI 28oz Balancer 1060-SS
ARP Balancer Bolt
ATI Billet Adjustable Timing Pointer
Scat 164 Tooth SFI 28oz
Flexplate - 2 step FP-302E-SFIFordStrokers

AFR 185 heads
93 cobra gt 40 intake (ported)
Stewart reverse water pump
ARP head stud kit
ARP timing cover and water pump bolts
Ford motorsport chrome oil pan and pickup.
Chrome aluminum valve covers.
30 pound fuel injectors
255 lph fuel pump

89 Fox convertible https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...y-new-toy.html
67 for my daughterhttps://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...pic-heavy.html
I also have a supercharged 65 65 myway
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old March 21st, 2017, 06:46 PM
Regular

Very nice combo, i did a very similar build to yours, stock block 331 with an old s-trim with smaller heads and cam and with 9lbs of boost it made 450hp 457tq at the rear tire on a mustang dyno thru a tko500. I did not use the inline pump no need to, I used a Walbro 255lph in the tank pump and 47lb injectors had no issues what so ever. If I were you I would up the injectors to at least 42lbs. 30's will be maxed out with the supercharger. You should easily be around 500hp +/- at the rear

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
post #3 of 13 Old March 21st, 2017, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Regular

thanks for the reply. I am fairly new to fuel injection to be honest. I have worked with carburetors most of my life. this is the first real high performance fuel injected build I have done. I am surprised I need to go up so high on the injectors. I honestly thought the 30 pounders would be plenty. well I guess I need to start shopping for fuel injectors now. I am glad the fuel pump will work. mine is a bosch pump I got from late model restoration so It should be up to the task. thanks again.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old March 22nd, 2017, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Ok. well I went ahead and ordered a whole mess of more stuff. I ordered a set of 47 pound ford racing injectors, also an adjustable fuel pressure regulator, fuel pressure gauge, I also ordered an adjustable idle air controller, and a few other little things. so hopefully now I will have all the things I need to get this project completed. Yeah right. there will be 800 little things I will need as the install proceeds. now if I could just get my supercharger delivered.

post #5 of 13 Old May 4th, 2017, 12:26 PM Thread Starter
Regular

well, I got the supercharger in, everything went fine. the install had a few little hiccups. I had to buy an anderson powerpipe and a pro m pro80 MAF sensor. I had to upgrade the FMU to a 4:1 disk. and I had to get a smog pump eliminator pulley. I upgraded to 47 pound injectors. and I put a turbo coupe egr valve in, capped off the tube connecting the throttle body to oil fill tube. and put a breather on the oil fill tube.

it started up and ran perfectly. it felt good, I set the boost retard to 1 and took it out on the road. it felt really strong. I started out slow and drove it for a bit and it sounded good, no pinging etc. so I did a couple acceleration runs. nothing to fast just wanted to get it revved up enough to see positive pressure on my boost gauge. the first time I tried I was going about 15 and hit the throttle, and it smoked the rear tires rather satisfyingly. anyway all was good for a while then I started hearing this slapping sound. for some reason the inside of the edge of the new serpentine belt I just installed was shredded. the rest of the belt was intact, just the inside edge. I do not see anywhere it could be rubbing. so I limped it home and bought a new belt this morning. I am going to look it over tonight and replace the belt. anybody have any suggestions on why this might have happened. How much will the belt move on acceleration?

post #6 of 13 Old May 5th, 2017, 10:46 AM
Resident Know-it-all

I only use gss340 in tank pumps, never the booster inline pump. I hope you have a wideband in your car and know what to watch for. Giod luck

92 coupe, pictured^, coyote power with turbo.
93 coupe, 2.3 turbo 5spd
93 calypso no option coupe, 94 GT, 90 Coupe, 82 coupe, 12 5.0 6spd, 14 gthig gt auto.
post #7 of 13 Old May 27th, 2017, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92stroker331 View Post
Very nice combo, i did a very similar build to yours, stock block 331 with an old s-trim with smaller heads and cam and with 9lbs of boost it made 450hp 457tq at the rear tire on a mustang dyno thru a tko500. I did not use the inline pump no need to, I used a Walbro 255lph in the tank pump and 47lb injectors had no issues what so ever. If I were you I would up the injectors to at least 42lbs. 30's will be maxed out with the supercharger. You should easily be around 500hp +/- at the rear
well I have it running. it runs great. it feels strong. but I did not get any where close to those numbers. I made 398 rwhp on a mustang dyno. I had a about a quarter tank of 87 octane fuel in it, and filled up with 91 before I had it tuned. the tuner said he had to take a lot of timing out of it to prevent detonation. So I am kind of mixed on how I feel about this. while I am satisfied with the seat of the pants performance, I can't help but be a little disappointed in the numbers. I know my intake choice hurts my top end performance some. and the AOD is a hindrance, I keep wondering if after I have run a few tanks of 91 through it I ought to take it back and see if we can tune it a bit more. maybe advance the timing a degree or too. or perhaps I need even larger injectors. Or if I should just leave it alone, it runs great, feels strong, and I am not racing it so I don't really need top horsepower. I built the engine with the plan of putting the blower on it, so I did just to complete my plan. I just keep thinking if I should be making 500, what did I do wrong lol. thoughts?

post #8 of 13 Old May 27th, 2017, 07:53 PM

Garage
I read this a couple times and didn't see boost numbers either the target of the kit or gauge readings. Did you verify you're getting the boost you looked for?

1983 5.0 - sold
2006 Mustang GT - current driver
post #9 of 13 Old May 28th, 2017, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
Regular

the dyno guy said it was getting 10 pounds boost. I have not verified that it will do that myself yet. that would require revving to over 5500 rpm's. I need a lot of taming of the drive train and probably slicks to get that to hook. when I launch in first and the AOD shifts automatically it starts the tires spinning I don't what would happen if I tried to shift it at 5500 lol. I'll be honest. I like building the cars. I am no racer. I want the car to perform up to its potential. that does not mean I am likely to push it to that potential lol. but on the dyno, it supposedly made 10 pounds boost it was rated at 8-10 pounds boost.

post #10 of 13 Old May 28th, 2017, 10:17 AM

Garage
Most systems will have a boost port on the manifold to install a gauge and you could run the line through the firewall put it near the cluster or on the a-pillar like any vacuum or temperature gauge. I'm guessing in order for the dyno test, this had to be done for the guy to tell you it was making 10 pounds, I would think it's worth the time to have one of your own in the car. Where I was going with pressure verification is that it's possible you have a manifold leak (gasket, open port, tubing seal only leaking under pressure) or the wrong size pulley robbing your boost pressure.
post #11 of 13 Old June 24th, 2017, 01:22 PM Thread Starter
Regular

yes I have a boost gauge in the car. and I am now going through and putting in autometer gauges and a wide band o2 sensor. but I think I have found my problem. my transmission seems to be slipping. I am afraid something isn't right in there. when I powerstall to launch it, it will slip in 1st gear. once it shifts to 2nd it works fine. I am thinking at some point soon I am going to have to upgrade the transmission or switch to a manual. I have looked at both options. a mega monster AOD will handle 600 horsepower per there website, or I could switch to a t-5. I know they are not made to handle that much horsepower either but I have had one in my 65 for years with no problems.

post #12 of 13 Old July 31st, 2017, 04:09 PM
Regular

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustanggarage View Post
yes I have a boost gauge in the car. and I am now going through and putting in autometer gauges and a wide band o2 sensor. but I think I have found my problem. my transmission seems to be slipping. I am afraid something isn't right in there. when I powerstall to launch it, it will slip in 1st gear. once it shifts to 2nd it works fine. I am thinking at some point soon I am going to have to upgrade the transmission or switch to a manual. I have looked at both options. a mega monster AOD will handle 600 horsepower per there website, or I could switch to a t-5. I know they are not made to handle that much horsepower either but I have had one in my 65 for years with no problems.
I have a built 331 built stroker with Procharger running stock T5 and it's still going strong for last 7 years. Only thing I have done different is that I have Stage 3 Mach 500 clutch. It's the SHOCK that kills transmission. If you stay off of 4K+ RPM dig launches, you'll be fine. But, if you can afford it, T56 is way to go. Also I have 255 Walbro and can't complain.
post #13 of 13 Old August 3rd, 2017, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
Regular

well Monster had a pretty good sale last month so I decided for simplicity and cost I would just buy the mega monster AOD. I like the automatic in this car as it is primarily just a daily driver cruiser. and I have my 65 with the 5 speed if I want to bang gears so I will just keep the auto in here I guess. I really want one of the new 2018 mustangs next year, and it will have a 6 speed. so I will have even more options.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page