289 swap in new edge - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By RDY4WAR

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old January 22nd, 2018, 03:26 PM Thread Starter

289 swap in new edge

Alright so I am in a little predicament here and some insight if anyone has done this before would help greatly. So I have a built 289 block assembled and I wanted to swap it into a 99-04. My plan is to go straight carb with the holly 650 I have. I know the kmember would need to be exchanged as well, possibly from a 94/95? The main problem I ran into is the transmission. Only the v6 come with the t5 that would be able to bolt up to the 289. Iím working with a gt so it has a t45. I want the car to be able to handle all over 400hp but the t5ís are fairly weak from my past experiences. So what I was thinking, unless anyone has some input, is that if I order an adapter plate, I could use a BW super t10 but Iím not too sure how hard it would be to get the input shaft etc to bolt up. Itís a big project and any feedback from yíall would be greatly appreciated as I donít have any experience with engines other than EFI setups.

---------- Post added at 02:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 PM ----------

also, just to clarify another concern, emissions is not a concern with this build.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old January 22nd, 2018, 04:23 PM
MM Fanatic

Either grab a t5 from a 94-95 gt and have it built or throw in a built c4. You could go with a tko too I guess.

07 GT Tungsten Gray

02 GT Mineral Gray

98 Crown Vic P71
post #3 of 19 Old January 22nd, 2018, 06:50 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Yeah I would just get a T5 and then have it built, a world class or Z T5 could probably hold behind that 289 as long as you didn't do a bunch of hard launches. If you got a 94-95 T5 like mentioned above you need to make sure to get a bellhousing for those years or you will have to swap out the input shaft since it is longer than the fox body T5s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old January 22nd, 2018, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

Greatly appreciate the replys! How well would the TKO t5 or a built one hold up? This build isnít going to be my daily, instead I want to use it as a drag/weekend car. So my really big concern as he said before would be that it would hold up but without the hard launches. I wouldnít want to mess up a nice t5 at the drag. Thatís why I was looking into any transmission alternatives, maybe a BW T10? I found a bellhousing adapter to make it mount up to the 289 with the t10 but I donít really know if the input shaft would need to changed. if anyone has done this before? If itís not really possible then Iíll stick with what yíall recommended and look into a t5, maybe even built t5.
post #5 of 19 Old January 23rd, 2018, 09:24 AM
King Trashmouth

Oddly enough you're not the first to do that. I met a guy at a car show that had a high strung 289 swapped into his V6 new edge. He was still using a T5 but did mention his fairly narrow tires kept him from hooking too bad and destroying it.

On to transmissions. There were T10s offered with the 289 back in the 60s, so the parts exist. Tracking them down is another matter. You can get aftermarket bellhousings or reman transmissions if desired. A toploader is another option in the same category, but a little better and a little more plentiful. Personally I think if you can find one for a reasonable price, a TKO unit would be the way to go. Strong, more modern materials, and you'd actually get overdrive. If fuel economy is any concern, definitely go with the TKO.
post #6 of 19 Old January 23rd, 2018, 09:59 AM

I forgot about the toploader, I'd go for it over the T10. It is an overall better transmission, can hold more power.

Guy I knew put a 351W in his old v6 new edge but I can't remember what transmission he used in it.
post #7 of 19 Old January 23rd, 2018, 11:18 AM
Rent Asunder!

What year is your 289 block? Keep in mind that the early years used a 5-bolt bell housing instead of the standard 6-bolt.

1993 Camaro bracket car
2002 Tahoe family/tow rig
2006 Altima daily
post #8 of 19 Old January 23rd, 2018, 12:56 PM
MM Fanatic

If its going to be a drag car I would skip a manual and go straight to a c4. Itll hold more power and shifts faster than you can, no offense lol.

07 GT Tungsten Gray

02 GT Mineral Gray

98 Crown Vic P71
post #9 of 19 Old January 23rd, 2018, 01:58 PM Thread Starter

I thought about the c4 but honestly I would rather build it straight manual, never been a fan of automatics. Itís the 5 bolt pattern I believe. A top loader completely eclipsed my train of thought duh. You guys made some good points about the top loader, will be looking into it, thanks!
post #10 of 19 Old January 23rd, 2018, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07gtS197 View Post
If its going to be a drag car I would skip a manual and go straight to a c4. Itll hold more power and shifts faster than you can, no offense lol.
Automatics are boring
post #11 of 19 Old January 23rd, 2018, 02:23 PM
Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by BA Mustang View Post
Automatics are boring
They're also more consistent and in this case likely will be a more robust transmission for the swap

2003 Redfire & Black V6. Full suspension, 8.8 w/ 4.10s, tuned. 4.3L stroker + turbo capable of 550 hp soon

1992 5.0 Auto Hatchback...needs wiring, interior, ...basically everything

RIP: 2015 SHO PP, 12.87 @107 1/4 mile
post #12 of 19 Old January 23rd, 2018, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derfdog15 View Post
They're also more consistent and in this case likely will be a more robust transmission for the swap
Let me repeat myself, they are boring. Who cares how consistent that are, they are boring to drive.
post #13 of 19 Old January 23rd, 2018, 03:15 PM
Regular

Quote:
Let me repeat myself, they are boring. Who cares how consistent that are, they are boring to drive.
I agree, but don't let certain people see you say that, they have a breakdown.

1998 v6 - Sold
2000 GT - Sold
2003 Mach 1 - Current
post #14 of 19 Old January 23rd, 2018, 03:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
gotta agree with you there. Im trying to have fun with this build, manuals have never disappointed.

---------- Post added at 02:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 PM ----------

So iv found an adapter bellhousing for the BW super T10 and the Ford 289. The thing is, the BW ST10 is a chevy transmission and im not sure how the shifter positioning would be and if the imput sline, driveshaft, or anything else would need to be changed and from what car to make it work. Iv had some experience with the t10 chevy and those are IMO way better than a t5 and are rated at higher TQ which would be perfect for the drag and weekend racing with it. if someone has ever heard of such thing being done before or has experience it would be great to hear your imput. So far i have yet to find of anyone doing this swap with a chevy T10
post #15 of 19 Old January 23rd, 2018, 04:05 PM
Rent Asunder!

Anybody who says an auto is boring has never gone out and raced a well built auto.

That's ok. I'll gladly be bored waiting for you at the finish line. You know what's really boring? Sitting in the stands watching the race because you and your manual got put out first round by an auto.
Derfdog15 likes this.

1993 Camaro bracket car
2002 Tahoe family/tow rig
2006 Altima daily
post #16 of 19 Old January 23rd, 2018, 04:26 PM
King Trashmouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron36910 View Post
So iv found an adapter bellhousing for the BW super T10 and the Ford 289. The thing is, the BW ST10 is a chevy transmission and im not sure how the shifter positioning would be and if the imput sline, driveshaft, or anything else would need to be changed and from what car to make it work. Iv had some experience with the t10 chevy and those are IMO way better than a t5 and are rated at higher TQ which would be perfect for the drag and weekend racing with it. if someone has ever heard of such thing being done before or has experience it would be great to hear your imput. So far i have yet to find of anyone doing this swap with a chevy T10
It may be a GM product, but it was offered behind Fords. Some examples: T-10 Shifter position is going to be a crap shoot. You'll have to see if you can find some measurements online. I haven't seen many for T10s, but you can find all sorts for T5s and toploaders. All I can say is there will be lots of measurement. Getting the right bell and clutch/flywheel is cake since it was a factory option. Fabricating a mount is easy. Cutting a hole for the shifter is easy, but it might end up ugly. And the driveshaft you'll just need to measure (or calculate) once it's in the car.

Here's all the dimensions you'll ever need:
https://www.richmondgear.com/wp-cont...hmond/RG26.pdf

And despite all the bullshit in here, build what you want. Unless someone else is paying for it, it's your car, you can do whatever the fuck you want.
post #17 of 19 Old January 23rd, 2018, 04:52 PM
MM Fanatic

Ok so your right hand doesnt control the gears, get a manual valve body. A 289 wont put out the torque a 302 or 351w will but its still going to be a lot even for a t5/t10 or tko. And the clutch is another thing to worry about.

Op this isnt directed at you but I want to reiterate, an auto will shift faster than any manual. If its going to be a track only car then whats the use of getting a stick to row gears? Especially when youre only going to use like 3.

07 GT Tungsten Gray

02 GT Mineral Gray

98 Crown Vic P71
post #18 of 19 Old January 23rd, 2018, 05:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron36910 View Post
gotta agree with you there. Im trying to have fun with this build, manuals have never disappointed.

---------- Post added at 02:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 PM ----------

Some quick googling it says the ST10 can be about 3/4" longer than the regular T10. If its a first variation then it is the same length and was actually offered in early fords.

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/152-...n-special.html
post #19 of 19 Old January 24th, 2018, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Much appreciated guys! Iím sure we can save the auto vs manual argument for another day haha. Iíll be checking out the measurements off the bellhousing to see what else might need to be altered. Thanks for all the great input though! Iíll be using this thread as a reference if I run into problems down the line
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page