2011 Mustang GT check charging system fault. Is the shop pulling my leg? - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old September 11th, 2018, 05:29 PM Thread Starter
Look Ma! My First Post!

2011 Mustang GT check charging system fault. Is the shop pulling my leg?

Hey all, I'm new here! Unfortunately posting out of desperation.

Background on my situation; I installed a ton of A/C parts a couple months ago (evap core, receiver, compressor, and radiator fan) and all went well. My brand new (not reman) compressor went out a couple weeks ago. I replaced it for free, no biggie. Well I start the car after the install and my check charging system message comes on accompanied by red battery light.

Figuring it was the alternator, I had it and my battery tested at a parts shop. Test was good but I did the alternator anyways, assuming that was the issue. The light did not go off. I switched alternators back and returned it. Had them do another test (no accesories running, high beams and a/c, etc.) And the battery output was consistent.

Well I'm trying to sell my car (San Antonio area if interested) and I can't have lights on to explain. So I take it to get diagnosed at a local reputable shop. They called me today to say they think it needs a legit OE motorcraft alternator for the message to clear. It sounds like a ton of BS to me but has anyone ever heard of this?

They also said alternator is good so I'm picking it up tonight and driving it while I contemplate my next steps. Any input is really appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old December 25th, 2018, 02:56 PM

Was gonna offer advice, as my car was doing the same thing, except it was actually the alternator lmao. Good luck/Keep us updated!
post #3 of 7 Old December 26th, 2018, 02:26 PM
Regular

I would take it to the shop and wait on it and tell them ahead of time, that once it's replaced with an OEM if it comes back on you want a guarantee to get your money back because that is not the issue then and make sure you get your old alternator when it gets replaced so you can put it back on otherwise they will pull the old, "oh we don't have it anymore"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old December 27th, 2018, 03:06 AM
Regular

My shop has a fix it right guarantee. If we diagnose it and we are wrong everything is 100% free. Any shop worth a dime would do the same. On top of that if we can find the problem we will fix it free also
post #5 of 7 Old December 27th, 2018, 08:24 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjackson3010 View Post
My shop has a fix it right guarantee. If we diagnose it and we are wrong everything is 100% free. Any shop worth a dime would do the same. On top of that if we can find the problem we will fix it free also
I wish there were more shops out there like yours that don't try to take advantage of the customer!!!!
post #6 of 7 Old December 29th, 2018, 12:22 AM
Regular

A few bad mechanics give us all a bad name
post #7 of 7 Old January 29th, 2019, 04:03 PM
Regular

Did you ever get your issue resolved?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page