rear end question - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old August 18th, 2008, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Regular

rear end question

What do I need to do to build up the rear end for a 500hp engine? I plan on putting 3.73 gears but do I need to put in a new diff. too? It is the stock 8.8in rear end with 28 spline axles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old August 18th, 2008, 09:29 PM
MM Fanatic

No for the diff, prolly for the axles.
post #3 of 21 Old August 18th, 2008, 10:10 PM
Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to FoxHoss
+1 axles is a good start... if your concerned, consider getting your diff rebuilt with new clutches and whatnot

Nitrous is like a hot girl with an STD... you wanna hit it, but your afraid of the consequences

02' GT ~ Twin Screwed 469hp/493tq
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old August 18th, 2008, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Regular

The diff in it is still good, I just didn't know if there was a different type I should put in because of all the different knids out there. So do different axles really make that much of a difference?
post #5 of 21 Old August 18th, 2008, 10:55 PM
Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to FoxHoss
yea, if your seein the strip a lot then deff. if your just street then you can get away with it for a little bit, but as soon as you start grabbin traction those things will snap like potatoe sticks

Nitrous is like a hot girl with an STD... you wanna hit it, but your afraid of the consequences

02' GT ~ Twin Screwed 469hp/493tq
post #6 of 21 Old August 18th, 2008, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Regular

What about c-clip eliminators? Should I put a set of those on?
post #7 of 21 Old August 18th, 2008, 11:56 PM
Regular

your axles wont snap if you grab traction. I run near 600hp give or take depending on boost and i still have 28 spline axles that hold up just fine. the 31 spline axles help a little if you just have money to burn but aren't really all that necessary. what combo are you looking at to get you near 500?
post #8 of 21 Old August 19th, 2008, 12:07 AM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtyson8602 View Post
your axles wont snap if you grab traction. I run near 600hp give or take depending on boost and i still have 28 spline axles that hold up just fine. the 31 spline axles help a little if you just have money to burn but aren't really all that necessary. what combo are you looking at to get you near 500?
I'm looking at buying an engine from fordstrokers.com. It won't be until next year that I get it but Woody was going to send me some prices. Are you using the stock axels or hardened axles?
post #9 of 21 Old August 19th, 2008, 09:12 AM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Send a message via AIM to 1slo5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJSTANG View Post
What do I need to do to build up the rear end for a 500hp engine? I plan on putting 3.73 gears but do I need to put in a new diff. too? It is the stock 8.8in rear end with 28 spline axles.
At minimum a set of 28 spline aftermarket axles from Strange or Moser. That will allow you to use your stock traction lock until it breaks. Otherwise a set of 31 spline aftermarket axles and an Explorer traction lock works too if you want to keep the cost down. If you want some pretty strong parts you can look into aftermarket differentials.

My daily driver has 16 cylinders and 4400hp @ 1000 rpm....

***1988 Mustang GT - Stock....almost
post #10 of 21 Old August 19th, 2008, 09:14 AM

Quote:
If you are actually making that much horsepower your axles are living on borrowed time. People break axles all the time with 12 and 13 second cars with manual transmissions and slicks. Don't steer someone in the wrong direction because you don't think good axles are necessary. Obviously he wants to do things the correct way.

post #11 of 21 Old August 19th, 2008, 05:29 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

i think the trans / tire combo will determine how long the stock rear will live. slicks / 5 speed and clutch drops will break an axle long before an auto with dragradials . i recommend a 31 spline ford trac loc and some aftermarket axles if you've got the money. btw my car runs 10s and i've got a stock rear.

" Spending money I don't have.... on things I don't need .... to impress people I don't know "

post #12 of 21 Old August 19th, 2008, 09:47 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
If you are actually making that much horsepower your axles are living on borrowed time. People break axles all the time with 12 and 13 second cars with manual transmissions and slicks. Don't steer someone in the wrong direction because you don't think good axles are necessary. Obviously he wants to do things the correct way.
rightfully so. ive broken axles on old ford trucks that had crap for torque and wouldnt run a 20 at the track too. it can happen to anything and everything. but for someone to think that fresh axles is vital especially since he said his factory dif is good and plans on using it is a bit far out. i agree a good set of moser axles and probably a new posi would be best for him, be it 28 or 31 spline either way but not absolutely a must immediately.

and yes you are right mine are on borrowed time. anyone who gets into big numbers in power/torque are going to have short lived rear ends as far as overall durability and longevity of the parts. even when they spend the money on the right stuff. everything has a lifespan and the harder you drive it the shorter it is
post #13 of 21 Old August 19th, 2008, 09:53 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJSTANG View Post
I'm looking at buying an engine from fordstrokers.com. It won't be until next year that I get it but Woody was going to send me some prices. Are you using the stock axels or hardened axles?

i just have stock axles right now. but as Darrell said, mine are going to be short lived. i also have 2.73s so there is a little less stress on mine. are you building a track car or a driver? if youre not gonna be at the track all the time and will be running street tires you will be able to get away with stock for a while depending on how you drive. and as mentioned before, trans and tire combo will tell a good bit about the life expectancy of your components. If you have the money to spend, change everything out. Upgrade. seldomly ever can you go wrong with buying better parts. and really, a 500hp motor means nothing if your other components cant hold up
post #14 of 21 Old August 20th, 2008, 03:06 AM

Quote:
rightfully so. ive broken axles on old ford trucks that had crap for torque and wouldnt run a 20 at the track too. it can happen to anything and everything. but for someone to think that fresh axles is vital especially since he said his factory dif is good and plans on using it is a bit far out. i agree a good set of moser axles and probably a new posi would be best for him, be it 28 or 31 spline either way but not absolutely a must immediately.

and yes you are right mine are on borrowed time. anyone who gets into big numbers in power/torque are going to have short lived rear ends as far as overall durability and longevity of the parts. even when they spend the money on the right stuff. everything has a lifespan and the harder you drive it the shorter it is
I don't agree with everything has a life span. The 9" in my red car is 8 years old and the only thing that was ever put in it was a new set of pro gears every year or so depending on how they looked. The 8.8 in my black car is older than dirt and has more passes and street miles than anybody would probably ever believe and nothing has ever been replaced inside of it since it was built. Both rear ends have some of the best parts you can buy. I'd trust my life with either rear end unless you put Tim Lynch's engine in front of them. I don't ever skimp on rear ends or bellhousings. I spend alot of time at the track and I've seen the damage caused by not having a safety bellhousing and not addressing durability issues in the rear end. Too many people will buy all the horsepower they can find but won't put any money into the drivetrain behind it because it doesn't make them go faster.

post #15 of 21 Old August 20th, 2008, 10:11 AM
Banned

Send a message via AIM to stangfreak
my question is what trans are you going to be putting 500hp through? hopefully not a worn out t-5?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[SIZE="4"]"This just in....14.79 @ 92.15 is not fast"[/SIZE]
post #16 of 21 Old August 20th, 2008, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by stangfreak View Post
my question is what trans are you going to be putting 500hp through? hopefully not a worn out t-5?
Pretty sure a TKO600.

What does a safety bellhousing do? Also will I need to get a new diff. cover or is the stock one good enough?
post #17 of 21 Old August 20th, 2008, 06:26 PM

A safety bellhousing keeps the clutch from cutting your legs off when it explodes. I posted pictures on here a while back of one of my cars that exploded a clutch. The clutch took out the bellhousing, input shaft, part of the transmission case, a chuck of the block among other things. Some of the clutch went thru the floor and out thru the kick panel area and another section of it went up thru the floor then exited thru thru the cowl area. Luckily both legs and feet are still attached.

post #18 of 21 Old August 20th, 2008, 08:01 PM
Regular

Send a message via AIM to sn94
I think this is the part where most people go wrong. Everyones always worried about HP HP HP. If you can get you HP to stick then you are not going to be fast at all. If you want to do things right, build your drive terrain up, then suspension, then lastly build up the engine. Start by picking up a nice auburn/detrioit/or Ford Racing Trac-loc Diff., then a set of 31 Spline axles. Either moser/strange/Superior is a nice set also, gear, then a nice diff. cover and some royal purple fluids. This is a great combination and theres nothing better in the world than not having to worry about having in axle snap while you dump the clutch on your 28in slicks. lol. Like Darrell said dont let money put you into a crunch, dont ever buy the easy way out.

PaT #06
post #19 of 21 Old August 20th, 2008, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sn94 View Post
I think this is the part where most people go wrong. Everyones always worried about HP HP HP. If you can get you HP to stick then you are not going to be fast at all. If you want to do things right, build your drive terrain up, then suspension, then lastly build up the engine. Start by picking up a nice auburn/detrioit/or Ford Racing Trac-loc Diff., then a set of 31 Spline axles. Either moser/strange/Superior is a nice set also, gear, then a nice diff. cover and some royal purple fluids. This is a great combination and theres nothing better in the world than not having to worry about having in axle snap while you dump the clutch on your 28in slicks. lol. Like Darrell said dont let money put you into a crunch, dont ever buy the easy way out.

PaT #06
I get what your saying about the traction. I'm actually planning on building the drivetrain and suspension up this winter and buying the engine next winter so when I put it in it will be able to handle the power.
post #20 of 21 Old August 20th, 2008, 11:55 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
A safety bellhousing keeps the clutch from cutting your legs off when it explodes. I posted pictures on here a while back of one of my cars that exploded a clutch. The clutch took out the bellhousing, input shaft, part of the transmission case, a chuck of the block among other things. Some of the clutch went thru the floor and out thru the kick panel area and another section of it went up thru the floor then exited thru thru the cowl area. Luckily both legs and feet are still attached.
those pictures are what made me decide to put off my tko install until i get a steel housing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page