transmission fluid leak - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old January 4th, 2006, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Send a message via AIM to 87vert
transmission fluid leak

getting a leak near the passenger side front on an AOD. Looks like its coming from the top cooler line but im not sure. car hasnt moved in 3 months, just started doing it the other day.

I was under there and I think I may have moved the lines a bit. Is there a seal or something on that line. I made sure that it was tight and it was. But it looks like it still leaked some.

Lost about a half a quart over night. I made sure to clean everything off and the only spot I saw some was from the line and just below the line. I guess where it dripped down and ran over the edge of the pan.

'96 Exploder XLT 5.0 AWD
"turbos coming soon"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old January 4th, 2006, 08:21 PM

the fittings the lines are screwed into are just screwed into the case using pipe threads. just probably needs to be tightened or if they are tight, take them out and apply some teflon tape to them and screw them back into the case, BUT DON'T OVERTIGHTEN... could also be the dipstick tube on which there is an o-ring.
post #3 of 7 Old January 5th, 2006, 09:16 AM
MM Fanatic

yeh i was gonna say that the dipstick is right there too, has that little o-ring attached to it, might of bumped that.... here is a pic of mine, as you can see it is a truck AOD but if you look in the lower left corner you can see the dipstick tube right below the two fittings.

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a38...w/IMG_0051.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old January 5th, 2006, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Regular

my lines dont screw into the fittings, it looks like it just has some plastic clip holding them in. Where can I get a new oring for the dipstick?

'96 Exploder XLT 5.0 AWD
"turbos coming soon"
post #5 of 7 Old January 5th, 2006, 11:57 AM

ahh, you have the old style fittings. There is a kit made to replace/update those to the new style thaat seems to work very well. As for the dipstick tube o-ring, stop by the shop tomorrow and see me. I've got a bunch of them laying around
post #6 of 7 Old January 5th, 2006, 04:00 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twist 2 Go
ahh, you have the old style fittings. There is a kit made to replace/update those to the new style thaat seems to work very well. As for the dipstick tube o-ring, stop by the shop tomorrow and see me. I've got a bunch of them laying around
ford part number on the kit? or is it aftermarket. I think I still have your number in my phone, i'll give you a call sometime to get one from you.

'96 Exploder XLT 5.0 AWD
"turbos coming soon"
post #7 of 7 Old January 9th, 2006, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Regular

looks like it was the dipstick tube. must have bumped it putting the header on. thanks guys.

'96 Exploder XLT 5.0 AWD
"turbos coming soon"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page