Door hinge - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old April 10th, 2010, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Door hinge

I kind of need to replace a door hinge on the drivers side is that big deal or is just bolt it on and done. also i cant really tell which hinge it is (lower or upper) that needs to be replaced how can i figure that out?

thx

LED third brake light to replace old sun damaged one, shorty antenna, new PI Intake Manifold with aluminum crossover (my original was all plastic). Bosch Platinum 4 Spark plugs (awesome set)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old April 10th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Regular

ugh this can kinda be a bitch to do depending on how skillful you are. What makes you think you need a new door hinge first? does your door sag? check strap broken? bolts loose? alignment?

2013 Grabber Blue Boss [email protected] bone stock
2003 GT Coyote swapped [email protected] needs a Cobra jet mani
post #3 of 10 Old April 10th, 2010, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

it sags causeing the window to catch on the wether strippeing it doest look har

looks like i just unbolt the fender then the door then the hinge off the door

LED third brake light to replace old sun damaged one, shorty antenna, new PI Intake Manifold with aluminum crossover (my original was all plastic). Bosch Platinum 4 Spark plugs (awesome set)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old April 10th, 2010, 06:42 PM
Regular

If its sagging it wouldn't be touching the weatherstripping, have you tried just bending the door up? We do this all the time in the body shop and even when your taught in school your taught about bending. Trying grabbin the bottom of the door and tugging up and check to see how it is after.

But if you wanna change the hinge you can leave the fender one. unclip the plug going from the door to the firewall first, make sure you have you and buddy these doors fully loaded are heavy. Mark where the bolts are currently sitting with a wax marker of some kind to save you trouble readjusting.(itll give you a basic idea of where to sit)Have the other guy support the door while you loosen the bolts from the door to the hinges. both take ur door and set it down on a blanket standing the same way it sits on your car. then mark around the hinges with the marker again to save you time realigning it. Also when your done replacing the hinges take out the striker on the body of the car because if your door is still sagging and u go to shut it the striker is just gonna lift it back up again.

Last edited by PeteGT; April 10th, 2010 at 06:47 PM.
post #5 of 10 Old April 10th, 2010, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

well its hard to describe but someone jacked the car wrong or something and the door hangs pretty much unnoticeable till you try to open it with the window rolled all the way up. the window gets tucked behind the rubber exterior weatherstrip and makes the door hard to open but when i roll it down a lil its fine id just rather not have to role it down for my door to work properly

post #6 of 10 Old April 10th, 2010, 07:07 PM
Regular

so its pushed in at the top is what your saying? what about the body lines how are those? door gap fit flush?gaps even all the way down? Based on all of those will help you understand how the door has to be moved. Its honestly harder to explain than to do or show someone.

Last edited by PeteGT; April 10th, 2010 at 07:10 PM.
post #7 of 10 Old April 10th, 2010, 09:37 PM
ajm
Banned

Prolly the lower hinge if its sagging.

Easiest way to tell is to open the door and pick up on it. Youll see which hing has play in it. Easy to change. Just remove the kick panel, reach up in there and remove the nuts and unplug the harness, remove the door, remove hinge, put your new one one, just get it slightly snug, put it back on the car, put the nuts on slightly snug, then adjust. Should take about 15min with a general idea of what ur doing.
post #8 of 10 Old April 10th, 2010, 09:49 PM
Doc

It takes a bit of adjusting honestly. I had to replace a hinge on my 01.

It is basically pug and play besides the adjustment.

A jack is your friend along with some wood. Trying to hold up the door and adjust by hand is not fun.

post #9 of 10 Old April 11th, 2010, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

lol i assumed as much but thx for the input guys

post #10 of 10 Old January 28th, 2013, 05:23 PM
Look Ma! My First Post!

I have found it is best to replace the hinges one at a time so you don't have to adjust it. First remove the inside bolt for the bottom hinge and loosen the two bolts on the lower hinge that connect to the door.Then close the door and take off the fender well.Remove the two bolts holding the hinge to the frame and the two loosen bolts connected to the door and slide it out.You can then replace it without holding the door up.Also the bottom hinge takes a lot of force to move so it is easier with the door closed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page