How to fill your decklid/spoiler holes - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old May 2nd, 2010, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
ajm
Banned

How to fill your decklid/spoiler holes

This question comes up nearly every week so I figured id write this up so I dont have to keep retyping it or going back and finding old posts to copy/paste.

Things youll need:

Die grinder w/ 36 grit rol-loc discs
DA sander
80 grit paper
180 grit paper
320 paper
filler...its up to you but I prefer rage, rage extreme, or z grip
putter..its up to you but I prefer the evercoat stuff
kitty hair...up to you but I usually use the evercoat stuff
HARD sanding block be it hard plastic or a durablock type. not a flimsy foam junk thing thats 1/8" thick and bends like a straw
Spreader(s)

Take your decklid and using the die grinder w/ 36 grit grind out the holes in the decklid you want them to be about an inch or in diameter and look like little bowls in the decked rather than holes.

Take the da with 80 grit and sand out about a 3-4" radius all around the holes. So 6-8" diameter.

After that lay down the kitty hair, it dont have to look pretty just slap it on there real good to fill in the little "bowls" you made for the most part, Spread it out nearly all the way to the edge of where you sanded with the DA. Let it dry up REALLLLY well if you sand the kitty hair too soon it will peel back. You want it to be rock hard.

Knock down the kitty hair down with the da and 80 grit. until its pretty straight. Once sanded it shouldnt be too far out from your holes and the holes should be pretty well filled. Itll be a bit wavy bc you used a da to knock it down but thats no big deal, this is just used to get the general shape and fill the holes to where it wont crack out such as if you just slapped some filler in them

Next spread your filler out as smooth/nice as you can get it. This takes practice...if you want it to be a bit easier to spread mix a slight amount of putty with the filler. Let it dry and block it with the 80 grit and hard block until its straight.

Spread your putty, let it dry, block it 180 until its straight, block it with 320 and youre ready for primer.

If you spray wax and grease remover on the decklid then look at it long ways you can tell if the decklid is straight or not/how it will look once painted.

Last edited by ajm; May 3rd, 2010 at 12:31 AM. Reason: fixed the typos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old May 2nd, 2010, 10:20 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajm View Post
This question comes up nearly every week so I figured id write this up so I dont have to keep retyping it or going back and finding old posts to copy/paste.

Things youll need:

Die grinder w/ 36 grit rol-loc discs
DA sander
80 grit paper
180 grit paper
320 paper
filler...its up to you but I prefer rage, rage extreme, or z grip
putter..its up to you but I prefer the evercoat stuff
kitty hair...up to you but I usually use the evercoat stuff
HARD sanding block be it hard plastic or a durablock type. not a flimsy foam junk thing thats 1/8" thick and bends like a straw
Spreader(s)

Take your decklid and using the die grinder w/ 36 grit grind out the holes in the decklid you want them to be about an inch or in diameter and look like little bowls in the decked rather than holes.

Take the da with 80 grit and sand out about a 3-4" radius all around the holes. So 6-8" diameter.

After that lay down the kitty hair, it dont have to look pretty just slap it on there real good to fill in the little "bowls" you made and fill them in for the most part, Spread it out nearaly all the way to the edge of where you sanded with the DA. Let it dry up REALLLLY well if you sand the kitty hair too soon it will peel back. You want it to be rock hard.

Sand the kitty hair down with the da and 80 grit. until its pretty straight. Once sanded it should be too far out from your holes and the holes should be pretty well filled. Itll be a bit wavy but thats no big deal, this is just used to get the general shape and such.

Next spread your filler out as smooth/nice as you can get it. This takes practice...if you want it to be a bit easier to spread mix a slight amount of putty with the filler. Let it dry and block it with the 80 grit and hard block until its straight.

Spread your putty, let it dry, block it 180 until its straight, block it with 320 and youre ready for primer.

If you spray wax and grease remover on the decklid then look at it long ways you can tell if the decklid is straight or not/how it will look once painted.
AJ - you a body man? Ive seen your work and you do real good stuff. I was thinking about shaving the handles on my doors but I don't want to screw it up cause I suck at body work. I'm sure it is because I'm impatient.

“I Saw Elvis at 1000 Feet”

"I was doing fine until about mid-corner when I ran out of talent."
post #3 of 9 Old May 2nd, 2010, 10:21 PM Thread Starter
ajm
Banned

Yes I am.

Yea its something youve gotta be patient with and really it just takes practice more than anything. Id be more worried about fooling with the door poppers n making all that bullshit work than the actual bodywork for the handles.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old May 2nd, 2010, 10:29 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajm View Post
Yes I am.

Yea its something youve gotta be patient with and really it just takes practice more than anything. Id be more worried about fooling with the door poppers n making all that bullshit work than the actual bodywork for the handles.

I figured you might be based on your fender bender repair. I'd be ok with doing the mech/elect stuff but the damm body lines just worry the shit out of me. Well at least I know who to ask for some guidance if I decide to take it on.

post #5 of 9 Old May 2nd, 2010, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
ajm
Banned

sounds good, let me know if you decide to do it
post #6 of 9 Old May 2nd, 2010, 10:47 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

nice write up bro!

4.75 MMR 900se
Livernois ported heads
HP 292s blower cams
Procharger D1sc at 20+ psi
IW 15% OD pulley
(and more bolt ons)
E85

Tune/numbers coming shortly!!
post #7 of 9 Old May 2nd, 2010, 10:50 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakerFX4 View Post
nice write up bro!

Yes it was - reps to you!

post #8 of 9 Old May 2nd, 2010, 11:21 PM Thread Starter
ajm
Banned

Thanks, im sure youre tired of answering this too baker lol.
post #9 of 9 Old May 2nd, 2010, 11:31 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

yeah, but the way i see it is... there might be 1 MAYBE 2 cats on here that i would trust to not ruin there spoiler completely. Not to mention the price for the tools/materials listed above. But i know that the reason for the how to is just so that they know what is involved to do it RIGHT! Seems to be an on going thing. Hell, there are some peeps that say the "metal decklid needs to have the holes welded". Im like WTF? So good how to bro!

Props, and this is INDEED the correct way to do it. This way will ensure that there will NEVER be a trace of holes ever being there.

4.75 MMR 900se
Livernois ported heads
HP 292s blower cams
Procharger D1sc at 20+ psi
IW 15% OD pulley
(and more bolt ons)
E85

Tune/numbers coming shortly!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/96-04/164031-how-fill-your-decklid-spoiler-holes.html
Posted By For Type Date
Tech - mustang6ers This thread Refback January 25th, 2015 11:38 PM
Spoiler or no Spoiler? POST PICS! - Page 3 - MustangForums.com This thread Refback November 11th, 2013 11:22 PM
How-To: The Compilation | V6Mustang.com This thread Refback October 30th, 2013 04:16 PM
How-To: The Compilation This thread Refback June 22nd, 2013 02:34 PM
How-To: The Compilation This thread Refback February 21st, 2013 04:46 PM
How-To: The Compilation This thread Refback February 9th, 2013 01:30 AM
How-To: The Compilation This thread Refback February 9th, 2013 12:29 AM
Spoiler or no Spoiler? POST PICS! - Page 3 - MustangForums.com This thread Refback May 6th, 2010 01:25 PM