Starting suspension mods - need a few opinions - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old August 14th, 2010, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Too Soon, Junior!

Starting suspension mods - need a few opinions

I'm starting to look into more suspension mods as my car is still rockin the stock system minus MM subframes. Straight line power is my real goal for this car; but as every Mustang owner hates to admit it, power is nothing without the ability to put it down.

If power-weight ratio were the same, I'd like to be able to run with stock S2000's or Boxters in terms of handling. What suspension setup would I need to accomplish this? (give me a shopping list )

Let's assume I already plan to install:
-MM Subframes
-MM CC plates
-Bumpsteer kit
-Wilwood brake package
-Awesome tires

Option A (cheap route):
-Lowering Springs
-Shocks/Struts
-LCAs
-Panhard bar?

Option B (expensive route):
-Tubular K-Member
-Coil-overs
-LCAs
-Torque Arm
-Panhard bar

Long term wise, this Mustang will be a street car that will see a drag strip or road course 3 or 4 times a month. I'm going FI and building the engine/trans after I graduate college, and eventually I'd like a sub 4-second 0 to 60 and around 600bhp.

Input would be appreciated, thanks!

Last edited by asiansensation78; August 14th, 2010 at 07:08 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old August 14th, 2010, 07:31 PM
Regular

To go for really good performance you would need:
-MM front end kit (k member, a arms with spherical bushings, coilovoers etc)
-Panhard Bar
-not necessarily a watts link, you could get away with weight jacker lower control arms and sherical bushing upper control arms
-2.5" coil spring adaptor for rear to use normal springs
-new shocks/struts
-front strut tower support
-rear shock tower support
-roll cage

But if you didnt want to spend as much you could go without:
-roll cage
-rear shock tower support

I plan on doing all of the above and more, but mine will have custom made roll cage by me and my dad to make a "center clip", custom made panhard bar, and custom 3 link in the rear.

K&N CAI, Custom 2.5"-3" Y Pipe, Single Cherrybomb dump Muffler, Custom Sub-Frame Connectors, Lowered 1in, Full Stereo
Exhaust Vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJTsF...pNZDL9TyDQEc3T
post #3 of 7 Old August 14th, 2010, 08:01 PM
Abyssinian of AX

Your best bet, in terms of performance gains mentioned, would be a PHB or WL with a TA

This would be AFTER the install of FLSFC's and a spherical ended LCA, as mentioned by Sdickonson above. A tube "K" is wonderful, but would not put at the top of your list right away, so really need to focus on 1/4 mile OR twisties to get the most of your suspension, as they are two different directions. There are many similarities, but spring rates/shocks are going to be the difference makers in high performance of either endeavor.

Jazzer

PS. Do NOT go cheap in suspension dept

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb213/jazzerthecat/JazzerEatsTwisty.jpg

Un-Official Suspension Guide | Choosing a new tire | Brakes upgrade ~ Speeding up slowing down | T-3650 ~ T-56 swap | Tire and Wheel Fitment Guide | The Kitty makes front page news
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.gonzo! View Post
It would still be fun to have a truck that poops speed bumps in fast succession.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old August 14th, 2010, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
Too Soon, Junior!

Thanks for the info guys, I'll focus the car more on the 1/4, but would like my car to be a nice street car that can mash your face in the straights and corner decently. I'm just wondering for now, if I should go the route of coil-overs in anticipation for a new tubular K, or just lowering springs/shocks/struts (with no future plans of changing the K-member)? I already have FLSFC's. Also I'm assuming for my application, I'd be better off with a set of non-adjustable MM LCA's?

HD Rear Lower Control Arms, 1999-04, with perch, swaybar [MMRLCA-5] : Maximum Motorsports, the Latemodel Mustang Performance Suspension Leader!

Thanks!

post #5 of 7 Old August 14th, 2010, 08:34 PM
Abyssinian of AX

Those LCA's will be just fine

If you plan on REALLY getting in to the launch-pad, go MM XD LCA's, as they will hold up better with stickeys. There is no advantage to NOT getting an adjustable one, other than maybe a lower cost. An adjustable one may be helpfull if you get into a larger set of DR's, as they can help you center the wheels better if you go 28"+ diameter tires.

Jazzer

Un-Official Suspension Guide | Choosing a new tire | Brakes upgrade ~ Speeding up slowing down | T-3650 ~ T-56 swap | Tire and Wheel Fitment Guide | The Kitty makes front page news
Quote:
It would still be fun to have a truck that poops speed bumps in fast succession.
post #6 of 7 Old August 14th, 2010, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
Too Soon, Junior!

Thanks Jazzer, looks like I'll be leaving a lot of the rear suspension alone for a while until I can do everything correctly at once. Let's say I go the coilover route, would this combo be sufficient to what I'd want out of my car? Or would the UPR coilover kit be too weak?

79-04 Mustang Front and Rear Coil Over Package Blue
http://www.americanmuscle.com/tokico...trut-9404.html

Last edited by asiansensation78; August 14th, 2010 at 09:09 PM.
post #7 of 7 Old August 14th, 2010, 09:54 PM
Abyssinian of AX

I have seen that MM link before and think the pic is actually for an S197, because the front strut will not fit an SN95 spindle

In general, UPR and Tokico is on the lower end of the scale in terms of performance/heavy duty parts. Suspension is VERY difficult to do efficiently, so one needs to really focus on the ULTIMATE goals for his/her ride to spend money only one time. This is made more difficult by wanting an all-around high-performance ride, as it just does not exist for 1/4 and open track. You can build it to be good in both, but would need to swap parts to make it great. Depending on HOW great you want it, would depend on the depth of your pockets and the time you want to invest in swapping parts over

You will get an improved launch via PHB or WL and TA with good LCA's, so would start there, because you already have SFC's. Once this is done, you will have to make a firm decision on what you prefer in terms of grip for quarter or quarner

Jazzer

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/96-04/178938-starting-suspension-mods-need-few-opinions.html
Posted By For Type Date
Starting suspension mods need a few opinions This thread Refback August 16th, 2010 02:23 AM