Project Second Hand Snake - Page 31 - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #601 of 1320 Old August 13th, 2012, 11:07 PM
MM Fanatic

That is AWESOME! Keep up the work. Very excited to see how this comes out. Eventually..

94 GT Vert

<a href="https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/projects/277159-nkauschs-turbo-vert-pic-heavy.html"]https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/projects/277159-nkauschs-turbo-vert-pic-heavy.html">70mm Turbo Build</A>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #602 of 1320 Old August 14th, 2012, 01:38 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Saw this and thought back at when you said you wanted ghosted flames... I think haha. Any i though id share, looks great!

SLP Catback with Bassani Mufflers - C & L Elbow - SR 70mm Throttle Body - Steeda Sport Springs
post #603 of 1320 Old August 14th, 2012, 01:38 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

damnit didnt work, here the link Customer Appreciation Day 12 | Facebook

SLP Catback with Bassani Mufflers - C & L Elbow - SR 70mm Throttle Body - Steeda Sport Springs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #604 of 1320 Old August 29th, 2012, 07:42 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

this is such an awesome thread. i want to do something just like this. but i have school to complete and i dont want to copy ya.

1998 Mustang v6 -totaled 2-5-14

89 notch, pending v8 swap
96 k1500, cam straight pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFoxwell View Post
I just have dead hookers laying around..
post #605 of 1320 Old October 21st, 2012, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Troy McClure

Well the thread has been relatively quiet, and hasn't had any real closure.

Time for an update.

I thought I had everything set. Took the car out for some romps, and after awhile, she pissed coolant. Changed cap. Still did it. Checked stat, it was bad, replaced it. I thought I had this licked. Took it for a spin when my parents were in town...and it blew coolant all over the windshield after a hard pull. I had just about resigned myself to it being a head gasket.

In the interim I also gave it a parking lot paint job, all rattlecan. No wetsanding yet-

But I had noticed one thing when I got it back as it bordered on overheating; the top of the radiator was hot, but the lower was cool. Grasping at straws, I took the radiator out and took it to a local shop. It flowed well, but they cleaned out a large amount of rust/silica in the lower half of the radiator. Percifield's did an excellent job I might add. I finally replaced it and wanted just a little more peace of mind. I picked up a Napa head gasket test kit that checks for exhaust gas in the coolant.

The result?

Not a head gasket.

I took it for a few more runs and the temperature has stayed well below the halfway mark. I think the cooling system has been resolved. Not to say it won't be getting an upgraded radiator in the near future.

So let's wrap this chapter up in a nice neat bow shall we? Here's some pictures after a nice wash.

There we are. The first stage is complete. There's plenty of upgrades to be had, and plenty of plans made for a stage 2, including a compound boost setup, IRS bushings, tubular front, and coilovers. Not to mention finally mounting my 03 cobra wheels come spring.

In the meantime the build will be in limbo. My employer has announced an impending layoff of 1500 employees. I won't know until late November, so I'm hesitant to make any moves until I know for sure.

So there it is. Project: Secondhand Snake (Stage I) start to finish. It's been a hell of a ride for a hell of a ride. It's gone from a mild sporty car to one that has no qualms about rolling burnouts and kicking the rear out at will, with a whole bunch of blood sweat and tears in the process. I can't tell you how many times I thought about giving up, but there it is, the fruits of my labor. Don't let anyone tell you what can and can't be done. Some of the most beautiful works of art are what some considered impossible, and those that put their own signature into their work through what they craft with their own hands make the most outstanding builds.

Now for the all important thanks. I couldn't have done it without them. I'm sure I've forgotten a few, so if I have, feel free to PM me and I'll add you to the list.

Members:
Codycat91
SonicBlu03
Jazzerthecat
xwhyitx
stal94gt
WhiteVenom
nasvt
DickH
Shaun03GT
TermiGT
Rabidstang

Vendors:
Tousley Ford
Summit Racing
Lethal Performance
Wedan Street Performance
Percifield's Radiator Service
post #606 of 1320 Old October 21st, 2012, 10:58 PM
2013 5.0

Send a message via AIM to slonison
I hope this doesn't mean the end of an era (thread...) This is one of the few I actually look forward to reading.

PS. I'm still waiting for another "Screaming like a fucking banshee" moment!

Steve's House

120+ V6 How-To's

2013Black 5.0
2002 Black Vert - Sold
1998 True Blue Coupe - Totaled
post #607 of 1320 Old October 21st, 2012, 11:23 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

The very last question that came to mind was what it cost you to actually convert the gt to what it is today. I guess my question is was it cheaper to do this by hand vs buying a terminator with the same mods?

Regardless, I respect this more than any terminator. Great job man.

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

post #608 of 1320 Old October 21st, 2012, 11:56 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

I think she needs a little snake in the front grill

But i must say awesome build thread man and props to all the hard work, it has definitely paid off! and BTW if you every want to detail the shit outta that thing let me know! try and get that rattle can paint job lookin sick! oh and sell me your old C & L

post #609 of 1320 Old October 22nd, 2012, 12:06 AM
Formerly whyxitx

1997 Cobra - 4.10s , UPR x pipe , Magnapacks, Maximum Motorsports K Member, A Arms, C/C Plates, LCAs and Coil Overs. S/S Brake lines. Needs put together.
2006 Ninja ZX-6R
2004 Subaru Forester XT - STI Goodies.
Professional Door Dildo Remover
post #610 of 1320 Old October 22nd, 2012, 12:30 AM
Enthusiast

Sick car, and that paint job came out pretty decent

01 Bullitt #03179 | HP292s cams | 4.10s | Other stuff
87 GT 5.0L 5 speed | TW170's | Cobra intake
04 Yamaha R1

post #611 of 1320 Old October 22nd, 2012, 12:48 AM
2013 5.0

Wicked. In honor of what you did... here, take this.

Steve's House

120+ V6 How-To's

2013Black 5.0
2002 Black Vert - Sold

Last edited by slonison; October 22nd, 2012 at 01:28 PM.
post #612 of 1320 Old October 22nd, 2012, 12:56 AM
MM Fanatic

Garage
Good luck, Hopefully you keep your job
post #613 of 1320 Old October 22nd, 2012, 07:34 AM
MM Fanatic

Great build. It's awesome to actually see a build thread all the way to the end. I feel so many times people get frustrates and burn their car down.

94 GT Vert

<a href="https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/projects/277159-nkauschs-turbo-vert-pic-heavy.html"]https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/projects/277159-nkauschs-turbo-vert-pic-heavy.html">70mm Turbo Build</A>
post #614 of 1320 Old October 22nd, 2012, 08:09 AM
Regular

awesome man. glad to see its finally driving. hope you keep that job, and we all look forward to stage 2!

DRIVE A HYBRID MY MUSTANG NEEDS YOUR GAS
4V Swap loveliness
Fresh Paint
post #615 of 1320 Old October 22nd, 2012, 09:02 AM Thread Starter
Troy McClure

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonison View Post
I hope this doesn't mean the end of an era (thread...) This is one of the few I actually look forward to reading.

PS. I'm still waiting for another "Screaming like a fucking banshee" moment!
This era is far from over. There's plenty of work to be done. If all goes well, winter will put some finishing touches on it. New headlights, new wheels, new bushings, etc...

And I'm still hoping to get some better video. I've had my hands full lately, and it's quite a drive to get to somewhere I can actually make one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz34 View Post
The very last question that came to mind was what it cost you to actually convert the gt to what it is today. I guess my question is was it cheaper to do this by hand vs buying a terminator with the same mods?
Last I checked I'm in the 11k ballpark, car included.
No way you're going to pick up a bone stock high milage termi vert for that. It's probably more in the league of 22-25k modded termis, so it is a significant cost savings, and that's not even factoring in anything I make selling off old parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BDs01MGGT View Post
I think she needs a little snake in the front grill

But i must say awesome build thread man and props to all the hard work, it has definitely paid off! and BTW if you every want to detail the shit outta that thing let me know! try and get that rattle can paint job lookin sick! oh and sell me your old C & L
It definitely could use an emblem, but I think if there was a snake there RZNBRAN would have an aneurysm.

The passenger door definitely needs a wetsand/buff. Lots of dry spray.

I think I can handle the detail though. My last quick detail on the truck turned out pretty awesome-

I can certainly be persuaded about that C&L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyxitx View Post
aaaand I botched your name. Close 'nuff, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ham sandwich View Post
Sick car, and that paint job came out pretty decent
Thanks. I was actually shocked how decent it was.

Of course anything was an improvement over how I got it.
From this-

To this-

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonison View Post
Wicked. In honor of what you did... here, take this.

I cannot reprape you enough for that. That is one impressive sig.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor123 View Post
Good luck, Hopefully you keep your job
I sure hope I do. I'm glad I got it wrapped up, and I still wish I could keep plugging along on it, but not with this uncertainty.

Even if I do get canned I might end up working for/with the big three up in MI so who knows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkausch View Post
Great build. It's awesome to actually see a build thread all the way to the end. I feel so many times people get frustrates and burn their car down.
It certainly came close to getting burned down several times, figuratively and literally. The broken crank bolt, the overheating, the oil cooler, the heater core, the f*cking cylinder head fittings...it was rough. Not to mention the odd puff of smoke from the engine bay the one day.

But persistance won the day. I don't think anyone would have guessed the result if they saw it the day I bought it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmage View Post
awesome man. glad to see its finally driving. hope you keep that job, and we all look forward to stage 2!
Hopefully I do, and if I do, stage II should be a blast, if not bordering on horribly dangerous.
post #616 of 1320 Old October 22nd, 2012, 09:34 AM
US Air Force (retired)

Garage
Congratulations on finishing stage one. Personally, I would have lost it with the spaghetti wiring. I look forward to seeing the car in person some day.

ProCharger P-1SC, 9 psi, STD 396/383; Uncorrected 388/375; SAE 383/370.
USAF 1969-1973,1980-1996: Vietnam veteran. Aircraft maintenance. R & D, ICBM Operations.
Also own: 1997 Harley FXDWG, 1998 F-150, and 2002 Corvette LS1
post #617 of 1320 Old October 22nd, 2012, 10:16 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedSnake00 View Post
Well the thread has been relatively quiet, and hasn't had any real closure.

Time for an update.

I thought I had everything set. Took the car out for some romps, and after awhile, she pissed coolant. Changed cap. Still did it. Checked stat, it was bad, replaced it. I thought I had this licked. Took it for a spin when my parents were in town...and it blew coolant all over the windshield after a hard pull. I had just about resigned myself to it being a head gasket.

In the interim I also gave it a parking lot paint job, all rattlecan. No wetsanding yet-

But I had noticed one thing when I got it back as it bordered on overheating; the top of the radiator was hot, but the lower was cool. Grasping at straws, I took the radiator out and took it to a local shop. It flowed well, but they cleaned out a large amount of rust/silica in the lower half of the radiator. Percifield's did an excellent job I might add. I finally replaced it and wanted just a little more peace of mind. I picked up a Napa head gasket test kit that checks for exhaust gas in the coolant.

The result?

Not a head gasket.

I took it for a few more runs and the temperature has stayed well below the halfway mark. I think the cooling system has been resolved. Not to say it won't be getting an upgraded radiator in the near future.

So let's wrap this chapter up in a nice neat bow shall we? Here's some pictures after a nice wash.

There we are. The first stage is complete. There's plenty of upgrades to be had, and plenty of plans made for a stage 2, including a compound boost setup, IRS bushings, tubular front, and coilovers. Not to mention finally mounting my 03 cobra wheels come spring.

In the meantime the build will be in limbo. My employer has announced an impending layoff of 1500 employees. I won't know until late November, so I'm hesitant to make any moves until I know for sure.

So there it is. Project: Secondhand Snake (Stage I) start to finish. It's been a hell of a ride for a hell of a ride. It's gone from a mild sporty car to one that has no qualms about rolling burnouts and kicking the rear out at will, with a whole bunch of blood sweat and tears in the process. I can't tell you how many times I thought about giving up, but there it is, the fruits of my labor. Don't let anyone tell you what can and can't be done. Some of the most beautiful works of art are what some considered impossible, and those that put their own signature into their work through what they craft with their own hands make the most outstanding builds.

Now for the all important thanks. I couldn't have done it without them. I'm sure I've forgotten a few, so if I have, feel free to PM me and I'll add you to the list.

Members:
Codycat91
SonicBlu03
Jazzerthecat
xwhyitx
stal94gt
WhiteVenom
nasvt
DickH
Shaun03GT
TermiGT
Rabidstang

Vendors:
Tousley Ford
Summit Racing
Lethal Performance
Wedan Street Performance
Percifield's Radiator Service
Your welcome bro. It's nice to see someone else do these swaps and actually enjoy them in the end. I know alot of people say its not worth the hassle but I'm sure you can attest to it the same as I can......It is SO worth it in the end over just a Vortech and some headers on a 2V.

That is not a knock on anyone else...I did the 2V and Vortech route and while it was great and I was proud in the end it was nothing like swapping this in there and going to shows and seeing people's faces light up, not expecting the engine to be there and actually run. When you look at them you think to yourself about all the shit you went through to get there and it is a great feeling.

So once again congrats and if you need any help give me a jingle.
post #618 of 1320 Old October 22nd, 2012, 11:38 AM
Broke as F*ck!!

Looks great man, can't believe its finally (mostly) wrapped up! Bet it feels great to finally drive that thing...its always more fun driving something you BUILT rather than BOUGHT. Congrats! Wish I could see it in person and congratulate you in person haha

Black 2003 Cobra
Turbos in progress.

Twin Turbo Cobra Build

post #619 of 1320 Old October 22nd, 2012, 12:31 PM
MM Fanatic

Glad its finally enjoyable!!!

Also EXTREMELY glas it didn't turn out to be a headgasket issue.

Now have some fun with the thing!!!!

MM FOBRA CLUB CO-FOUNDER
post #620 of 1320 Old October 22nd, 2012, 01:26 PM
2013 5.0

Wicked,

Use the following in your signature thread.

(img tag)http://tinyurl.com/8n9m4vk (close img tag)

That is my host, I have no problem hosting it and it will preserve animation... if that's what you want.

Steve's House

120+ V6 How-To's

2013Black 5.0
2002 Black Vert - Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/96-04/206009-project-second-hand-snake.html
Posted By For Type Date
More Go Than Show - New Edge Content This thread Refback June 6th, 2017 05:12 PM
More Go Than Show - New Edge Content - StanceWorks This thread Refback November 1st, 2015 10:15 PM
More Go Than Show - New Edge Content - StanceWorks This thread Refback June 14th, 2013 07:57 AM
Project Second Hand - StanceWorks This thread Refback August 15th, 2012 10:27 PM
Project Second Hand - StanceWorks This thread Refback August 15th, 2012 10:55 AM
More Go Than Show - New Edge Content - StanceWorks This thread Refback July 31st, 2012 11:24 PM
More Go Than Show - New Edge Content - StanceWorks This thread Refback July 31st, 2012 04:12 PM