Project Second Hand Snake - Page 61 - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1201 of 1329 Old February 13th, 2017, 04:43 AM
Carving corners

Crazy progress can only imagine the itch you have to drive that thing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1202 of 1329 Old February 13th, 2017, 03:41 PM Thread Starter
King Trashmouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineralGreyGT View Post
Crazy progress can only imagine the itch you have to drive that thing.
Yeah the weather is breaking and it's given me just a tease of what it's capable of. It might be a lot scarier than I anticipated, especially considering it's only on 5psi wastegate settings and stock upper pulley- this is the most turned down I can get it short of physically disconnecting things.

Took a lot more time to chew through the logs and compare to previous ones. At first I was puzzled since before I was able to go up to 250 MAF counts with a good AFR. This time around I kept getting a lean stumble. What gives? Well before I was doing a very slow unloaded sweep; it took me ~15 seconds to sweep to that. Well when you actually put it under load, even slipping the clutch, it's more like 3 seconds. And you can see it in the few spots I was able to keep with it. It stumbles for 1.5s at tip in, then you can watch AFR plunge to where it should be over the next second or two. Any time the throttle input moved too quick it would give you a lean stumble. Seems like dashpot needs to be richened up some. I'm hoping once I get that ironed out I can get better data since it would actually be drivable. Then hopefully I can just walk it through some load cells, get the transfer function on the money and then really let her rip.
post #1203 of 1329 Old February 19th, 2017, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
King Trashmouth

New revision. More data. Less lean misfire; both in number of events and duration. Got it up to third gear for the first time. Not sure what he tweaked but it's getting there. Slowly but surely. Just glad to see I don't think it's un-tuneable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1204 of 1329 Old February 20th, 2017, 10:56 AM
Enthusiast

Garage
Edgewater opens soon, planning on running once its ironed out?

2003 Redfire & Black V6. Full suspension, 8.8 w/ 4.10s, tuned. 4.3L stroker + turbo capable of 550 hp soon

1992 5.0 Auto Hatchback...needs wiring, interior, ...basically everything

RIP: 2015 SHO PP, 12.87 @107 1/4 mile
post #1205 of 1329 Old February 20th, 2017, 11:09 AM

you only have 60# injectors?

Convertible Crew Founder
Proud Iraq and Afghanistan War veteran

700 RWHP Club Member #1

Vortech T Trim @18 PSI
604 RWHP 516 FT LB
[email protected]@ 523RWHP

Precision Turbo 7675 CEA @ 20 PSI
738 RWHP 691 FT LB
10.9 @ 131 MPH
post #1206 of 1329 Old February 20th, 2017, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
King Trashmouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derfdog15 View Post
Edgewater opens soon, planning on running once its ironed out?
Hoping to make a few passes at the local 1/8th mile track if I can get it sorted out and pass tech. If it holds together I might even make a run at Lucas Oil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSG Pate View Post
you only have 60# injectors?
...at least for now. It should be enough for the 15psi street tune. Before I try for the 25psi setup I'll need to install the sumped tank, Fuelab external pump, #10 supply/#8 return lines, and more than likely 105 lb/hr injectors. I just want to get the damn thing some semblance of sorted before I change all that up too.
post #1207 of 1329 Old February 20th, 2017, 02:01 PM
Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedSnake00 View Post
Hoping to make a few passes at the local 1/8th mile track if I can get it sorted out and pass tech. If it holds together I might even make a run at Lucas Oil.
Gotcha,

I know Edgewater opens sooner is why I asked, I'm trying to get a run in as soon as they open so I can utilize the nice cool boost weather.

I'll probably run a few times at Lucas once they open up as well, but I think that isn't until April sometime.

2003 Redfire & Black V6. Full suspension, 8.8 w/ 4.10s, tuned. 4.3L stroker + turbo capable of 550 hp soon

post #1208 of 1329 Old February 20th, 2017, 02:46 PM
US Air Force (retired)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derfdog15 View Post
I know Edgewater opens sooner is why I asked, I'm trying to get a run in as soon as they open so I can utilize the nice cool boost weather.

I'll probably run a few times at Lucas once they open up as well, but I think that isn't until April sometime.
Edgewater and Lucas are a pretty big drive from Florida.

ProCharger P-1SC, 9 psi, STD 396/383; Uncorrected 388/375; SAE 383/370.
Ret. USAF 1969-1973,1980-1996: Vietnam veteran. Aircraft maintenance. R & D, ICBM Operations.
Also own: 1997 Harley FXDWG, 1998 F-150, and 2002 Corvette LS1
post #1209 of 1329 Old February 20th, 2017, 03:21 PM
Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle2000GT View Post
Edgewater and Lucas are a pretty big drive from Florida.
Lol, I work in Columbus IN currently but my mustang is still in Florida at my parents. At some point I'll change the location but probably not till I have the mustang with me up here

post #1210 of 1329 Old February 27th, 2017, 05:33 PM Thread Starter
King Trashmouth

Well another week goes by of twiddling my thumbs waiting for a revision. Getting way too antsy at this point. If something doesn't happen by the end of the week I may start exploring other options.

I called around to some of the "local," and I use that loosely, tuners. Minimum 2hr drive each way, have to spend a vacation day, rent a trailer, $450 for a slot in late April at one shop, or $750 for a slot in a couple weeks at another.

Buying PRP is looking better by the day. I'm looking at getting it from Lasota with their book. Other than cost I'm liking the greater flexibility and instant turnaround. I just hope I am some semblance of a competent individual. (Ok we all know I'm not.) If nothing else I'm no worse off than this agonizingly slow incremental change I'm getting with Amazon, but no more hounding them or spending months waiting.

Anyone have any recommendations on where to get it, or is that the way to go? Anyone else on here using PRP?

I guess if nothing else I've learned to just do it yourself. Tried buying an engine- wasted time, got screwed, ended up building one myself. Tried having someone fabricate a turbo kit- wasted time, got screwed, had to re-do a bunch myself. Maybe tuning is no different.
post #1211 of 1329 Old February 27th, 2017, 06:12 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

I've also been thinking about getting prp. I think y2k02 used to tune his car with prp, but he uses Holley now. From the research I've done you have to start from scratch and make your own tune, you can't edit the tune that's currently on your car with prp.

2002 GT - 5 Speed
Novi 1000 @ 9 psi
Mods in My Garage
post #1212 of 1329 Old February 27th, 2017, 06:18 PM

That takes three of us who have been thinking about buying it.

Convertible Crew Founder
Proud Iraq and Afghanistan War veteran

700 RWHP Club Member #1

Vortech T Trim @18 PSI
604 RWHP 516 FT LB
[email protected]@ 523RWHP

Precision Turbo 7675 CEA @ 20 PSI
738 RWHP 691 FT LB
10.9 @ 131 MPH
post #1213 of 1329 Old February 27th, 2017, 07:28 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

It just makes sense if you know you're going to be doing this long term. I hate having to rely on someone else to get my car running and when I have a problem, it takes days or even weeks to get my car to the tuner. I just think it would be so convenient once you get the hang of it.

2002 GT - 5 Speed
Novi 1000 @ 9 psi
Mods in My Garage
post #1214 of 1329 Old February 27th, 2017, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
King Trashmouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver GT View Post
I've also been thinking about getting prp. I think y2k02 used to tune his car with prp, but he uses Holley now. From the research I've done you have to start from scratch and make your own tune, you can't edit the tune that's currently on your car with prp.
Did he? I might have to shoot him a PM. I knew he went with the Holley but I wasn't going to drop $2000+ on a standalone system. I know there were a few others here that used PRP but I haven't seen any of them active on the forums in months if not years.

As far as the base tune, the one I have now is well...not that good. Starting from scratch wouldn't set me that far back. I do plan on asking my current tuner for the raw file anyway though. I'm sure he'd gladly exchange that for not having me hounding him all the time.
post #1215 of 1329 Old February 27th, 2017, 10:07 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedSnake00 View Post
Did he? I might have to shoot him a PM. I knew he went with the Holley but I wasn't going to drop $2000+ on a standalone system. I know there were a few others here that used PRP but I haven't seen any of them active on the forums in months if not years.

As far as the base tune, the one I have now is well...not that good. Starting from scratch wouldn't set me that far back. I do plan on asking my current tuner for the raw file anyway though. I'm sure he'd gladly exchange that for not having me hounding him all the time.
I think you'd have a better understanding of the tune if you start from scratch, but there's going to be a pretty steep learning curve either way.

2002 GT - 5 Speed
Novi 1000 @ 9 psi
Mods in My Garage
post #1216 of 1329 Old February 28th, 2017, 09:15 AM Thread Starter
King Trashmouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver GT View Post
I think you'd have a better understanding of the tune if you start from scratch, but there's going to be a pretty steep learning curve either way.
At the very least it would probably save me one iteration. With the just assembled tune with all the stock parameters for the parts I had it needed to be fattened up 25%+ down low and I can tell he did a little bit of acceleration enrichment. I also have data in hand of what it needs now, so hopefully I could take it and run with it from there.

I won't lie, I'm a bit intimidated by the learning curve. But at the same time while it would be my first go with an EEC V turbo car, it's not my first rodeo. I've got the core concepts and background down, it's just a matter of transferring them to this car and software. I think the lion's share of the work will be dialing in the transfer function given the weird geometry of my intake.

After all this car was my first go at building a high hp modular and TIG welding too.
post #1217 of 1329 Old March 2nd, 2017, 08:27 PM
Broke as F*ck!!

Tired of waiting, tune it yourself lol

Black 2003 Cobra
Turbos in progress.

Twin Turbo Cobra Build

post #1218 of 1329 Old March 2nd, 2017, 11:04 PM
I like boobs!!!

I'm only seeing the ass end of this thread, but have you considered Delta Force tuning software? I used their stuff for my 2000 and it was super easy to learn, and I was able to get it dead on in a matter of a weekend. I used the step up from their basic package. I think the basic is Sniper, and what I bought was the Special Forces software. Just a thought. Also, those guys were a big help when I called with questions. I actually made a trip down to Orlando with my 2012 and met them all. They're a good group of guys.

Before you ask, no, I don't sell it, I'm NOT a paid spokesperson, and I don't even have a vehicle that I could use it in right now. I'm just sharing that I had a good experience with it.

'00 V6 being gutted for real fun! Fixing where I went wrong with my last 2000
'04 V6 for my stepson
'27 Ford T Sedan, sold
'12 GT, Roush Exh, Steeda 101mm CAI, SCT Tune, MGW, 388 WHP 375 WTQ, Sold
'00 GT Vert, Built, Sold
post #1219 of 1329 Old March 3rd, 2017, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
King Trashmouth

I knew a guy who used it to tune some Mustangs at my last job. It looked pretty simple and he mostly used it for NA cars. Not sure how useful it was with a highly modified boosted car. I had looked at it back then, when supercharging my car was just a pipe dream. Looking at the prices today, it's also more expensive than just getting PRP if I'm looking at it right.

I had looked at Quarterhorse as well, which is about on par with PRP, but with limited support for EEC V vehicles that kind of turned me off to it.

...considering I've wasted, err, waited another two weeks for another revision, it's almost a done deal I'll be jumping into the deep end. Well, unless in the unlikely event the next revision is dead on, but I wouldn't hold my breath.
post #1220 of 1329 Old March 3rd, 2017, 09:38 AM
I like boobs!!!

Well at this point it's been so long since I've done any tuning, the next time I do a fuel injected build I'm going to have to re-learn some software. A loooong time ago I used Electromotive TEK 2's for stand alone systems, and the other day I went to their site and they don't even make the TEK 2 anymore, shows you how long that's been. I haven't checked into Delta Forces in a while either.

What is PRP? I'm not familiar with that. Lately I've been seeing a lot of guys talk about using HP tuners, and I've glanced at their stuff and it looks pretty good. When it comes to tuning I like to get as much input as I can from everyone who is using something different.

Email tunes are alright IMO if you're not doing anything radical or if you're not in a rush (unless you know the tuner personally), but for tuning highly modified N/A or boosted applications, I'd much rather be standing next to the guy doing the tuning or BE the guy doing the tuning.

Edit: I just checked the Delta Force website and their prices haven't changed. It's $650 for the Commando tuning package and another $280 for the Data Logging software. I will say, I REALLY liked their data logging software. That was very easy to use, and very easily to extract the necessary data for making changes to the tune.

'00 V6 being gutted for real fun! Fixing where I went wrong with my last 2000
'04 V6 for my stepson
'27 Ford T Sedan, sold
'12 GT, Roush Exh, Steeda 101mm CAI, SCT Tune, MGW, 388 WHP 375 WTQ, Sold
'00 GT Vert, Built, Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/96-04/206009-project-second-hand-snake.html
Posted By For Type Date
More Go Than Show - New Edge Content This thread Refback June 6th, 2017 06:12 PM
More Go Than Show - New Edge Content - StanceWorks This thread Refback November 1st, 2015 11:15 PM
More Go Than Show - New Edge Content - StanceWorks This thread Refback June 14th, 2013 08:57 AM
Project Second Hand - StanceWorks This thread Refback August 15th, 2012 11:27 PM
Project Second Hand - StanceWorks This thread Refback August 15th, 2012 11:55 AM
More Go Than Show - New Edge Content - StanceWorks This thread Refback August 1st, 2012 12:24 AM
More Go Than Show - New Edge Content - StanceWorks This thread Refback July 31st, 2012 05:12 PM