Project Second Hand Snake - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 54Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1320 Old February 26th, 2011, 06:48 PM Thread Starter
Troy McClure

Cool Project Second Hand Snake

Never thought the day would come. Project Secondhand Snake is finally under way. Today I got the most difficult part of the build, a complete Eaton swap kit.

Objective: To create a complete 03/04 Cobra clone using only secondhand parts, as low cost as possible. Exceptions to the Cobra design include an S-281 spoiler, Bullitt rims, and possible Mach 1 gauge cluster. Paint will be all black, with a custom asymmetric ghost snakeskin pattern on the rear.

Background: Project started in March 2010, when I purchased a 2000 Mustang GT with an astounding number of 03/04 Cobra parts on it already. In addition a number of aftermarket upgrades were already installed. These include 03/04 Cobra bumpers, scoops, interior (minus gauges), brakes, suspension, 01 Cobra T3650 transmission, P-71 interceptor motor, bilstein shocks, fully welded subframe connectors, off road X pipe, mufflers, cat-back, lowered 2", stiffer progressive rate springs in rear, softer fixed rate in front, Centerforce II clutch, aluminum flywheel, pioneer head unit w/600 watt amp, shaved door handles, C&L CAI, TB, grille delete, rolled fenders and likely a few more things that I'm missing.

Cost of the car (plus all the extra parts that were thrown in); $3500

At that point, the car was a complete and total paperweight. Massive front camber problems, electrical problems, locked up brakes, vacuum leaks, exhaust leaks, a caved in quarterpanel, poorly done shaved doorhandles, primer everywhere, poorly installed gas tank, unhooked e-brake, misaligned bumper, misaligned fenders, misaligned hood, bad bearings and destroyed tires. Here it is when I got it:

After that, I put a considerable amount of work in to fix all the aforementioned issues, and got it to pass NYS inspection.

Cost of repairs; $500 All work was done by myself, with the exception of the inspection, and the bearing being pressed in, I don't have a press. Low cost, but hours upon hours of labor.

...and then the body work was done...

Total so far: $4000

I originally thought I got hosed for buying such a paperweight for $3500, but considering as it sits it's better than a stock GT, and it only took that little to repair, I think I made out pretty well.

Stay tuned for Part 2!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 1320 Old February 26th, 2011, 06:57 PM
Enthusiast

Looks great. Can't wait to see the finished product.
post #3 of 1320 Old February 26th, 2011, 07:00 PM Thread Starter
Troy McClure

Part II: Where We Are Now

Picking up where we left off...

At this point it was late September. The decision was made to go for full clone. As a recent graduate who was working production, I didn't have an extensive budget. Then life threw me a curveball. In November I moved from Buffalo, NY to Columbus, IN, for a mechanical engineering position with Cummins, Inc. Unfortunately due to a lack of storage space here, the car is still sitting back in Buffalo, but I already have more than enough earmarked to finish the project when I get it here.

Since the move, I acquired a set of 03/04 Cobra sideskirts for $300 just before Christmas, and finally today, a complete Eaton swap kit for $2500. Previous owner sold it after punching a hole in his block. He was running 498hp/540ft-lb with a 3" pulley and this ported Eaton M112 on 93 octane. Not a good idea for a stock 01 Cobra engine. Also a big bonus that numerous parts were powdercoated black by him already.

Here's the haul from today:
Carbon fiber intake with filter and MAF:

Eaton M112 and manifold:

Heat Exchanger:

Timing Cover:

Big f*cking box of all the other parts:

And bonus! OEM Cobra gauge cluster!

Coming next: Part 3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 1320 Old February 26th, 2011, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Troy McClure

Post Part III: Where We're Going

Now to discuss future plans.

First things first, there's the logistics I need. To even work on it, I need to rent a garage, and tow it down here. Since family and friends seem to be unwilling to help, I'm going to have to speed up my purchase of a 2011 Dodge Ram 2500 with the Cummins ISB 6.7L diesel. If all else fails I may return to Buffalo and complete it in my garage there.

[ ] New truck
[ ] Garage
[ ] Engine Hoist

Now the list of parts:
[X] Car w/obscene amount of aftermarket parts
[X] Sideskirts
[X] Eaton swap
[ ] T-56 transmission
[ ] Lincoln Aviator or Mercury Marauder engine
[ ] MMR forged rotating assembly
[ ] Stage II blower cams (HE292 I think is the code?)
[ ] Level 5 half shafts
[ ] Twin GT fuel pumps and hat
[ ] Injectors
[ ] SCT PRP tuning package
[ ] Paint
[ ] 17 x 10.5" Bullitt rims x2
[ ] S-281 spoiler
[ ] 03/04 Cobra hood
[ ] Possibly clutch/flywheel if current one is not re-used
[ ] Big brake kit
[ ] Single blade TB
[ ] Stiffer front springs
[ ] Stainless "Cobra" rear bumper inserts
[ ] Lots and lots of IRS parts. Bushings, braces, etc...

When all is said and done I'll be shooting for 500-550hp. More than enough to settle some scores. Especially since there's a nasty rumor going around I've just got a V-6 with a body kit. I'm almost tempted to put the V-6 bumpers on and give some people a rude surprise...

Whew. I think that's it. I'm almost sure there's more to it. I'll keep updating the build thread as it happens. It would be wonderful if I could get this done this summer, but only time will tell.

...And if anyone around Columbus has a garage for rent let me know.
post #5 of 1320 Old February 26th, 2011, 10:07 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Very good, I am impressed with your build.

I believe you will need another fpdm, one for each GT pump. Also you may need a longer drive shaft or a spacer for the t-56 setup.

As you well know there are tons of misc things required for a build like this. Good luck and let me know if you need anything.

post #6 of 1320 Old February 26th, 2011, 10:12 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Good luck, watch your budget I would hate to see you spend more than a cobra would have cost you
post #7 of 1320 Old February 26th, 2011, 10:29 PM

i take it you bought that blower from jacob?

Procharged 2000 5 Speed BAB GT, built motor, blower cams, 10 lbs, lee blankenship tune 430/405

HARDCORE CREW

BRIGHT ATLANTIC BLUE CREW #1 MEMBER
post #8 of 1320 Old February 26th, 2011, 10:29 PM
MM Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to WhiteVenom
Not to be a dick but do you think its worth putting 10 plus grand in a car you bought for 3500?

MM COBRA CLUB #80

SRA SWAP WRITE UP!
post #9 of 1320 Old February 26th, 2011, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteVenom View Post
Not to be a dick but do you think its worth putting 10 plus grand in a car you bought for 3500?
What I was thinking, considering he can buy a cobra now for 15000. Buit 4v motor is 6 grand minimum, t56 3500, irs (not worth it), seats 500 min, hood 400, cobra fuel system 500 used min, tune 400, clutch 375+, and this is the cheap prices that usualy dont pop up.
post #10 of 1320 Old February 26th, 2011, 10:41 PM
MM Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteVenom View Post
why not?

2002 mustang gt - turbo'd and blown up
1980 mercury zephyr wagon - roller undergoing rust repair
1970 galaxie - 351W cruiser
1978 F150 - 4x4 400M with a few bolt ons
1999 PSD - stock
post #11 of 1320 Old February 26th, 2011, 10:43 PM
MM Fanatic

Because he can save him self weeks of headaches and back breaking work and just go down the road and buy a REAL cobra done. That is not a 3500 car with mods strapped on it.

MM COBRA CLUB #80

SRA SWAP WRITE UP!
post #12 of 1320 Old February 26th, 2011, 10:49 PM Thread Starter
Troy McClure

Thanks for the tips.

As far as the fuel arrangement I'm hoping to get a whole Cobra tank setup over on SVTP. That would be easiest. There's lots of guys over there with waaaaay too much money that are always selling their parts when they upgrade. Perfect source for a mild build like this.

And I totally forgot about driveshaft. I could get mine milled down but it'd be easier to just buy a new one. I'll also have to check gear ratios, especially with the fact there's wide and close ratio T56's.

stal-I'm not too worried about the budget. To get it to Cobra spec it won't take much, but I'm going above and beyond. It won't cost much for the engine and trans, since I'll be able to sell my current one to offset the cost. In the end I'm hoping to be below $12k. Well below a comparable used Cobra, and less than some GT's I've seen. Doing all this work yourself saves some serious coin. I don't care about the resale of it either, I don't plan on selling it. Ever.

I'm also sure I'll be asking some questions about installing the Eaton swap. I literally have a giant bin of random parts. The thing is well over 200lbs! I'll have to read over Lefty's thread several times, but it'll take some work to figure things out. Oh well. I like a challenge, that's what this build is all about. When others would buy a Cobra, I'll build one. It'll look damn good when it's finished to say engine, paint, and tuning all done by me.
post #13 of 1320 Old February 26th, 2011, 10:49 PM

I would buy a cobra as well. If any thing happens to the car insurence will pay out a cobra, not a 3500 gt
post #14 of 1320 Old February 26th, 2011, 10:55 PM

I got my cobra for 9500 which came out to 11000 out the door, I dont think your project will be underthat, nore do I think you will be under 12000, but if you do keep it under keep us posted. Plenty of others are intdrested in this swap
post #15 of 1320 Old February 26th, 2011, 10:56 PM
MM Fanatic

Thats cool man. I can dig it i guess. Cool build but to me i wouldnt waste time with an eaton either. Why do you want a t-56? And if your planing on keeping it, then atleast get rid of those headlights! All that work for a crummy eaton is shitty. I still to this day dont know why people spend 2900+ on eaton swaps.

MM COBRA CLUB #80

SRA SWAP WRITE UP!
post #16 of 1320 Old February 26th, 2011, 10:56 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Your going to feel kinda crunchy when you get a CLONE cobra and spent like 8-13k to get it that way. Then your going to say yuck this is kinda slow and wanna build it for sick track car or street car and all that money was wasted just making a clone

post #17 of 1320 Old February 26th, 2011, 10:57 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by stal94gt View Post
I got my cobra for 9500 which came out to 11000 out the door, I dont think your project will be underthat, nore do I think you will be under 12000, but if you do keep it under keep us posted. Plenty of others are intdrested in this swap
But you got a STEAL man and you know it

post #18 of 1320 Old February 26th, 2011, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Troy McClure

Quote:
Originally Posted by stal94gt View Post
What I was thinking, considering he can buy a cobra now for 15000. Buit 4v motor is 6 grand minimum, t56 3500, irs (not worth it), seats 500 min, hood 400, cobra fuel system 500 used min, tune 400, clutch 375+, and this is the cheap prices that usualy dont pop up.
Built 4v for $6k? I can get an Aviator for $1200, fully forged MMR rotating assembly for around $1800. That's $3000. (Throw in an upgraded oil pump and some fasteners/gaskets as well.) Plus then I can sell my engine. Seats I can get racing seats cheap from a friend, or just keep mine, not a big point for me. T56 I've seen closer to $2500, minus core of current T3650. Hood sounds about right, I've seen cheaper though. Fuel system I'm hoping for $400. Clutch I already have, if I don't sell with the engine/trans. Tune? $0. Doing it myself. (Assuming you don't count the several hundred in tuning software, but you'd have that with any car.) All in all I hope it will come out cheaper than your estimate, but I'll have to keep close tabs on it. But I got the hardest to find part, so I'm pretty happy in the mean time.

Mustanginky- Yes I did. Cool guy. Very helpful.

As far as insurance...I simply do not care.

WhiteVenom- The backbreaking work is half the fun! Other people have hobbies like golfing and sailing, but I like car building. Buying a fast car is too boring for my tastes. Plus I'm going to enjoy saying I did body/engine/tune myself. You don't hear that too often.
post #19 of 1320 Old February 26th, 2011, 10:59 PM
MM Fanatic

He plans on spending below 12k. Say he spends 10k. 3500+10k=13500. Another 500 bucks and you can find termis all day. I seen one in OHIO yesterday for 12900. 03 Redfire vert termi with 87,000 miles.

Also on the motor building estimate, i have one tip dont estimate. If your guess is 4g its 6 grand. If your guess is 2k is 3k. Trust me.

MM COBRA CLUB #80

SRA SWAP WRITE UP!
post #20 of 1320 Old February 26th, 2011, 11:05 PM

I built my 2v 2 years ago and your missing alot in your pricing, unless you plan on hacking your motor together, I spent 6k's building my motor, but in not one to skimp out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/96-04/206009-project-second-hand-snake.html
Posted By For Type Date
More Go Than Show - New Edge Content This thread Refback June 6th, 2017 05:12 PM
More Go Than Show - New Edge Content - StanceWorks This thread Refback November 1st, 2015 10:15 PM
More Go Than Show - New Edge Content - StanceWorks This thread Refback June 14th, 2013 07:57 AM
Project Second Hand - StanceWorks This thread Refback August 15th, 2012 10:27 PM
Project Second Hand - StanceWorks This thread Refback August 15th, 2012 10:55 AM
More Go Than Show - New Edge Content - StanceWorks This thread Refback July 31st, 2012 11:24 PM
More Go Than Show - New Edge Content - StanceWorks This thread Refback July 31st, 2012 04:12 PM