Thinking about longtubes, which brand? - Page 2 - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 39 Old September 21st, 2011, 04:02 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

Garage
Well that's gay of him. I love the 03-04 Cobra, and want to add one to the collection some day to compliment the GT, but he's an idiot for selling a brand new 5.0 for one. Then again I'd rather have the gear ratios of the T56 compared to the junk Getrag MT82. But a TR6060 swap in a 5.0 would make them even more perfect.

I'm also on the young side but I buy this stuff myself. Just sold more stuff off the Slowmaro in the last couple days for another $275.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy Mo View Post
Im running MAC LT's and Lethal's o/r x pipe. I love them. But i dont have a cat option like the SW.
Yeah, I'd love to save some money and go for an offroad setup, but switching midpipes, even if it's only once every two years, is a PITA. I should just move to Florida.

YN Silver '01 GT - Main money pit
Black '01 GT - Racecar
'92 E36 BMW 325i - $500 daily driver
'86 Camaro - Sitting in a shed torn apart
'13 Kawasaki ZX-6R - Sold, too fast, want a Harley
'11 E92 BMW 328i xDrive Coupe 6MT - Daily luxury
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 39 Old September 21st, 2011, 04:07 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin C View Post
Well that's gay of him. I love the 03-04 Cobra, and want to add one to the collection some day to compliment the GT, but he's an idiot for selling a brand new 5.0 for one. Then again I'd rather have the gear ratios of the T56 compared to the junk Getrag MT82. But a TR6060 swap in a 5.0 would make them even more perfect.

I'm also on the young side but I buy this stuff myself. Just sold more stuff off the Slowmaro in the last couple days for another $275.

Yeah, I'd love to save some money and go for an offroad setup, but switching midpipes, even if it's only once every two years, is a PITA. I should just move to Florida.

Lol I know. He has vids of his Cobra. Its sexy looking, he has a vid of a C6 Vette eating him up in his ported cobra. Thats what he gets.

14 Mustang GT M6 - TVS, Kooks Full Exhaust, AED Tune
11.04 @ 130.1
621/557 @ 8.6psi
Previous Cars
09 Corvette Z06 - 11.7 @ 123.5 (stock)
13 Mustang GT Bolt Ons - 11.58 @ 122.13
03 Mustang GT Vortech - 11.98 @ 118.68
post #23 of 39 Old September 21st, 2011, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun03GT View Post
Lol I know. He has vids of his Cobra. Its sexy looking, he has a vid of a C6 Vette eating him up in his ported cobra. Thats what he gets.
Poor us. Can't really mess with the aerodynamics of the C5 and C6 'Vettes. They'll pull about as hard at 120 as they will 60. They're hard to beat in a full weight Mustang without a ton of power.

I actually ran into an LS1 Corvette who wouldn't run me a few weeks back. He was fucking with me, getting on it beside me. I went down to 3rd at about 60 MPH, just below 4K RPM. My car must sound way faster than it is, he didn't want any then. Even though he would have beat me badly.

Black '01 GT - Racecar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 39 Old September 21st, 2011, 05:12 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

I run pacesetter long tubes (150$) and a custom x, I wouldnt spend 1k+ just to have the easy ability to switch cats in and out, And those you posted dont even look flanged so who knows if you would be dealing with leaks and what not.

I would just get whatever headers you want and have an exhaust shop fab a custom x/h pipe with cats flanged in and make you indentical flanged cat delete you can just bolt it whenever you want your cats removed. youd save a ton of money instead of buying the prefabricated stuff

IMO save your 1k+ buy pacesetter 70 3230's (get em ceramic coated if you wanna be fancy) and have a custom x built. My setup cost me all of 350$

Last edited by sj408; September 21st, 2011 at 05:19 PM.
post #25 of 39 Old September 22nd, 2011, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj408 View Post
I run pacesetter long tubes (150$) and a custom x, I wouldnt spend 1k+ just to have the easy ability to switch cats in and out, And those you posted dont even look flanged so who knows if you would be dealing with leaks and what not.

I would just get whatever headers you want and have an exhaust shop fab a custom x/h pipe with cats flanged in and make you indentical flanged cat delete you can just bolt it whenever you want your cats removed. youd save a ton of money instead of buying the prefabricated stuff

IMO save your 1k+ buy pacesetter 70 3230's (get em ceramic coated if you wanna be fancy) and have a custom x built. My setup cost me all of 350$
I'm really considering it, giving up the ability to just switch the cats instead of the whole X pipe. I figured with swapping full length X pipes, the only pain in the ass there is the manifolds being so far up. With long tubes, the mid pipe bolts up to them pretty much right by the front wheel it seems.

Easy enough to swap every two years. I just don't know if I'd go as far as buying Pacesetters and having a custom X pipe made just to save money. I really want a tried and true method, like Kooks, SLP, ARH etc. Leaning towards SW, but I just haven't been able to find anyone who's running them on a 99-04 GT. Plenty of S197s, new 5.0s, GM cars, but no 99-04 2 valves so far.

I might just end up with Kooks or ARH since I'd be able to step up from 1-5/8" to 1-3/4" for a little extra flow. Probably only going to be making up to 380 RWHP with my V1 S-trim intercooled on the stock 3.6" pulley, even with full exhaust, but I do plan on a built engine at some point, so it'd be worth it.

Does anyone here run American Racing headers? Know anyone who does? How do they like them? They sell 1-3/4" long tubes with a catted X through LP for $1,452, so I'm strongly considering that, and just buying an offroad X from them also, for after inspection. Seems better than like $1,660 for Stainless Work's 1-5/8" long tubes.

Black '01 GT - Racecar
post #26 of 39 Old September 22nd, 2011, 08:56 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Be one of the first people to run SW Headers on 2Vs. You never see it.

14 Mustang GT M6 - TVS, Kooks Full Exhaust, AED Tune
11.04 @ 130.1
621/557 @ 8.6psi
Previous Cars
09 Corvette Z06 - 11.7 @ 123.5 (stock)
13 Mustang GT Bolt Ons - 11.58 @ 122.13
03 Mustang GT Vortech - 11.98 @ 118.68
post #27 of 39 Old September 22nd, 2011, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaun03GT View Post
Be one of the first people to run SW Headers on 2Vs. You never see it.
Kinda considering it, but I don't really want to be the guinea pig for them, especially when I could step it up to Kooks 1-3/4" long tubes for not much more.

Don't know. The only 2 valve car at all I have seen a video of SW headers on are the couple Crown Vics with them, and that's just.. not the same. I'd be more comfortable with it if I could at least see 1 or 2 GTs with them.

Black '01 GT - Racecar
post #28 of 39 Old September 22nd, 2011, 09:23 PM
Hans Sprungfeld

Is there a reason you're looking for 1 3/4" primary headers? Most people don't see much for gains with the 1 5/8" primaries until well above 500hp. You have to remember we still have relatively small engines, only 281ci. It's not like the old days of 1 3/4" primaries on 455ci big blocks.

Also I take it you're bent on stainless ones?
post #29 of 39 Old September 22nd, 2011, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedSnake00 View Post
Is there a reason you're looking for 1 3/4" primary headers? Most people don't see much for gains with the 1 5/8" primaries until well above 500hp. You have to remember we still have relatively small engines, only 281ci. It's not like the old days of 1 3/4" primaries on 455ci big blocks.

Also I take it you're bent on stainless ones?
Yes. I have a little V1 S-trim sitting around now waiting to be installed, going to intercool it with a 31x12x4 CX front mount, then eventually drop in a built shortblock and some blower cams. Maybe upgrade to a T trim or V7, since Vortech makes it pretty easy and affordable through their V1 trade in program.

Not completely bent, I'd possibly settle on some nice ceramic coated headers. Thing is, the car is my daily driver for now. Not a weekend/nice day car that'll sit in the garage just because it's raining. Even after I pick up another daily driver, this car will still get tons of street miles. I don't want headers that'll look completely rusted out in just a couple years time.

May as well do it right once, I'm a big fan of doing it right once. That's why I shelled out $2,000 to swap to a T56 when my TR-3650 5 speed went.

Black '01 GT - Racecar
post #30 of 39 Old September 22nd, 2011, 10:53 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

so from what i have read stay away from bbk headers? or just there mid pipes? im looking to but lt headers on in the winter and idk what brand to go with either, someone said flowtech but i never heard of them.

BLACK STANG CREW #199
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXFallout View Post
If you can kill a zombie with it. Shit it's a winner in my book.
post #31 of 39 Old September 22nd, 2011, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by volpestang View Post
so from what i have read stay away from bbk headers? or just there mid pipes? im looking to but lt headers on in the winter and idk what brand to go with either, someone said flowtech but i never heard of them.
There are people that have ran BBK headers and mid pipes for thousands of miles without any issues, but some have bad luck with either. I know my BBK offroad X won't seal for shit.

I thought maybe my Flowmaster catback might've been partly at fault, since they are after all, old chambered mufflers, the baffles can rust out which makes a leak-like rattle. Put out $554 on Borla Stingers, and some of the leak is still there.

I had a friend put it up on the lift at his shop, they spent a while adjusting it, checking for leaks, adjusting.. It's kind of fine for now, but what we think the problem is, is the flares on the end of the BBK X pipe are out of round, not making a complete seal. I just wanna be done with the thing.

But to be fair to BBK, once their X pipes are adjusted correctly, they have pretty decent ground clearance, and for just being aluminized, mine is pretty clean. Driven it in snow twice, rain all the time. Once I get some long tubes on the car, I'll let someone have my BBK X real cheap if they want it, otherwise I'm throwing it out.

Probably would just have to find a good custom exhaust shop with a flaring machine, and they can have a decent X pipe for a few bucks.

Black '01 GT - Racecar
post #32 of 39 Old September 23rd, 2011, 10:59 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

ok, well ill probably stay away from the bbk headers then, did you ever hear about flowtech headers?

BLACK STANG CREW #199
Quote:
Originally Posted by xXFallout View Post
If you can kill a zombie with it. Shit it's a winner in my book.
post #33 of 39 Old September 23rd, 2011, 11:03 AM
Bringing Yellow Back

Send a message via MSN to zinc-vert02
i have flow tech long tubes,

some people like them and have zero problems and some people have tons of problems

Stock long block 2v, stock trans, 100 shot of go fast gas. 315hp and 430 trq on spray
post #34 of 39 Old September 24th, 2011, 12:57 AM

I'm running Flowtech headers and o/r x pipe on mine since 2006, no issues. Mine is a 2000 2V GT 5 Speed. No leaks, great sound thru the Flowmasters. It does have a drone around 2k RPM tho.

2000 Mustang GT, work in progress...
post #35 of 39 Old September 24th, 2011, 03:55 AM
Enthusiast

I have the Kooks with catted H though and the cats are removable. Even though my cats are hollowed "allegedly" . I still want to get those cat delete pipes like you had in the pic, I just can't find the damn flanges so I can weld them on.

SNAKE_BITTEN711
2002 Roush Stage 2
Kooks LT Headers ,Gutted catted H Pipe, Magnaflow side exhaust, Pro 5.0 Short shifter, Urethane Motor Mounts, Accufab plenum, 75mm throttle body, Mac CAI, J&M LCA's. 3:73 gears
post #36 of 39 Old September 24th, 2011, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by snake_bitten711 View Post
I have the Kooks with catted H though and the cats are removable. Even though my cats are hollowed "allegedly" . I still want to get those cat delete pipes like you had in the pic, I just can't find the damn flanges so I can weld them on.
Interesting. I don't think Kooks makes H pipes anymore. I'm more of a fan of X pipes, but that would be neat to have an H with long tubes, it probably sounds deep as hell.

I think what I may do is order Kooks long tubes and an offroad X pipe from them, then sacrifice my catted Magnaflow X to pass emissions. I did plan to use this setup until next June for emissions.

But I had the flange on my BBK X repaired, welded in place. I put out over $500 of course for the Stingers, so I really wanted to hear them with an offroad X setup for now. Probably just gonna have that Magnaflow catted X hacked up to fit Kooks long tubes, for emissions.

Black '01 GT - Racecar
post #37 of 39 Old September 24th, 2011, 09:40 PM
US Air Force (retired)

Garage
I am one of those that have run BBK for years without any problems. But others have not been that lucky. I have tried to figure this out. Most of those who have not been happy with BBK mid-pipes are running a different header. I'm running BBK LTs, and mid-pipe. Perhaps, the mid-pipe is designed to fit the headers, and it is the other headers that don't match up. Those headers have put up with 73,000 miles of abuse. But, I'm not lowered and I haven't slammed them into stuff.

Bottom line: BBK headers and LT have been very, very good to me. I haven't figure out why they aren't good to others.

ProCharger P-1SC, 9 psi, STD 396/383; Uncorrected 388/375; SAE 383/370.
Ret. USAF 1969-1973,1980-1996: Vietnam veteran. Aircraft maintenance. R & D, ICBM Operations.
Also own: 1997 Harley FXDWG, 1998 F-150, and 2002 Corvette LS1
post #38 of 39 Old September 24th, 2011, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

Garage
Could be a number of things. Being lowered as you said you're not, could be the gaskets they used, install error, header or flange bolts not torqued enough. Rainy areas and salty area near the beach could wear flanges just enough for a leak to pop up, etc.

Black '01 GT - Racecar
post #39 of 39 Old September 24th, 2011, 10:24 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin C View Post
Interesting. I don't think Kooks makes H pipes anymore. I'm more of a fan of X pipes, but that would be neat to have an H with long tubes, it probably sounds deep as hell.

I think what I may do is order Kooks long tubes and an offroad X pipe from them, then sacrifice my catted Magnaflow X to pass emissions. I did plan to use this setup until next June for emissions.

But I had the flange on my BBK X repaired, welded in place. I put out over $500 of course for the Stingers, so I really wanted to hear them with an offroad X setup for now. Probably just gonna have that Magnaflow catted X hacked up to fit Kooks long tubes, for emissions.
yea it's ok at idle and Throaty when I punch it. I would like to go with a o/r prochamber but not too sure on the sound difference.

SNAKE_BITTEN711
2002 Roush Stage 2
Kooks LT Headers ,Gutted catted H Pipe, Magnaflow side exhaust, Pro 5.0 Short shifter, Urethane Motor Mounts, Accufab plenum, 75mm throttle body, Mac CAI, J&M LCA's. 3:73 gears
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page