PPRV delete. What is it and Why? - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 44 Old September 27th, 2011, 09:00 AM Thread Starter
I like boobs!!!

PPRV delete. What is it and Why?

I've seen this suggested to so many people and am wondering if it's something I should think about. Only problem is I have no freakin clue what it is or what the benefit is . Anyone wanna shed some light on the subject? Thanks.

'00 V6 being gutted for real fun! Fixing where I went wrong with my last 2000
'04 V6 for my stepson
'27 Ford T Sedan, sold
'12 GT, Roush Exh, Steeda 101mm CAI, SCT Tune, MGW, 388 WHP 375 WTQ, Sold
'00 GT Vert, Built, Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 44 Old September 27th, 2011, 09:23 AM
Machete Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickPohlAandP View Post
I've seen this suggested to so many people and am wondering if it's something I should think about. Only problem is I have no freakin clue what it is or what the benefit is . Anyone wanna shed some light on the subject? Thanks.
Before stal jumps in...

The PPRV is the "positive pressure relief valve." Basically it's a valve that goes between the two pumps and the hat that prevents drainback when the car is sitting to give you quicker start-ups. However as an in-line valve it's a large restriction, can raise your FPDC (fuel pump duty cycle) and the Cobra guys complain of hesitation during shifts due to it.

The only downside is you might need to take some time to let it prime or longer to start.

To delete it you basically put a hose in place of it.

I'm taking a tip from stal and using a 3/8" barbed stainless U-fitting from Kegworks (Buffalo, NY!) and submersible 30R10 fuel hose to replace the line with the PPRV in it.

There's dozens of how-to writeups for it on SVTP.
post #3 of 44 Old September 27th, 2011, 09:31 AM Thread Starter
I like boobs!!!

Two pumps? I have a GT. Isn't that just a single pump?

'04 V6 for my stepson
'27 Ford T Sedan, sold
'00 GT Vert, Built, Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 44 Old September 27th, 2011, 10:15 AM
Machete Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickPohlAandP View Post
Two pumps? I have a GT. Isn't that just a single pump?
Yeah, I'm just used to the Cobra setup. Basically between the pump outlet and the hat.

I can't seem to find any pictures with a single pump (probably not an issue at lower power outputs) but here's what it looks like on the Cobra:

The PPRV is that white box looking thing between 3 and 4 in the hose.
post #5 of 44 Old September 27th, 2011, 10:18 AM Thread Starter
I like boobs!!!

Cool man. Thanks and reps.

'04 V6 for my stepson
'27 Ford T Sedan, sold
'00 GT Vert, Built, Sold
post #6 of 44 Old September 27th, 2011, 01:26 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

If your not maxing out your pump and not having issues with hessitation shifting I would leave it alone. I have gotten away with keeping the pprv delete with a kb frps disk and had no problems at all. I have recently gotten rid of the pprv just for the sake I got new pumps. If the proper bends are not used people have had more problems with kinks in the fuel lines along with tears from using the wrong clamps. Simple answer if it ain't broke don't fix it.

bone stock from the factory!

Last edited by stal94gt; September 27th, 2011 at 01:41 PM.
post #7 of 44 Old September 27th, 2011, 01:35 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

This might help

My other car is a 867 HP Challenger -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b89K9NlpYCg&feature=plcp
CHECK MEH GARAGE
BAMA Performance Drag Team #9
post #8 of 44 Old September 30th, 2011, 12:42 PM
Enthusiast

You should leave it alone like stated above....upgrade to a svt focus pump when u put the plate on it...it should keep up

Go turbo, don't look back.
post #9 of 44 Old September 30th, 2011, 02:53 PM
Regular

I'm not 100%, but pretty sure only the 03/04 cobra hats have a pprv.

2012 GT Grabber blue, 6M, Blowfish bracket, Barton, Paxton @11psi, ID1000, vortech BAP, glass roof, 3.73s, full o/r 3" exhaust, boss IM, lca's, K springs, eibach sway bars, 20x9 20x10" avant garde
640/490

post #10 of 44 Old September 30th, 2011, 04:02 PM
Regular

I did it on my cobra tank swap. Notice I dont have the dead spot when trying to take of from the light. Response is better

Blk #200 Mods: V2-SQ Vortech w/Aftercooler 10psi, built motor, custom blower cams, Full MM suspension 429rwhp 391rwtq need a new alt..
post #11 of 44 Old September 30th, 2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangSR330 View Post
I'm not 100%, but pretty sure only the 03/04 cobra hats have a pprv.
gt's have one as well.

bone stock from the factory!
post #12 of 44 Old October 1st, 2011, 12:32 AM
Enthusiast

You have delete the PPRV on the focus SVT pump too.

https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...uel-pumps.html

Saleen Series II, MHS Stage 1 Heads & Blower Cams, 365whp/385wtq, Chicane I/C, Mosaleen Pulley, Fidanza FW, Alum Driveshaft, BBK Headers, Steeda Exhaust, TruTrac 31 Spline, 3.55s, 315s, MM FLSCs, Rear LCAs, MGW Shifter, Eibach Pro, Cobra Brakes.
post #13 of 44 Old October 1st, 2011, 01:42 AM
MM Fanatic

You dont have to delete the pprv to install a focus pump. its a direct fit. A little more detail to what the PPRV does and what happens when you remove it.

The most simple explanation of the PPRV is a check valve. ALL cars have some sort of PPRV device. Without one all fuel injection cars would be extremely hard to start because they wouldn not maintain any fuel pressure after the prime cycle had ended

The PPRV allows the pump to turn on for a short time to prime the fuel system at start up. When the pump shuts off what holds the pressure? The PPRV. The PPRV on some models also blows off excessive pressure. We're talking when its above 60 or 80 lbs.

What does the PPRV cause hesitation? - picture this. Your hammer down balls out near redline and the fuel pump is running wide open then suddenly you lift and the throttle shuts. What happens? The fuel pressure spikes, the ecu registers this at the FRPS and slows/shuts the pump down but the PPRV holds the line pressure way above the setpoint. As the pump slows down there is nothing to relieve the pressure so the pump continues to slow down thinking the pressure isnt dropping... because the pprv is holding all of the fuel pressure on the sensor. This all happens within a split second of doing a gear change. Now you hammer down and the car falls on its face for a split second. Why? because the ECU thinks there is excessive fuel pressure so the pump slows WAY down and the PPRV holds all the line pressure when your foots is off the throttle. When you hammer down the pump is not running near the capacity needed and there is an IMMEDIATE pressure drop. The car runs out of fuel for a split second and falls on its face. The ECU registers this and sets the pump into wide open to make fuel pressure. The power comes back and all is happy until the next gear change.

Why do only some cars have this problem? It relates to HP being made and how hard the fuel pump is running. If the fuel pump is not running as fast it doesnt spike as hard. The spike isnt as extreme so the ECU response isnt as extreme and there isnt as much pressure drop. This is why mostly 03/04 cobra guys rave about the issue with 400+HP and not bolt on GTs.

Why does removing the PPRV stop the hesitation? When you lift and the fuel pump slows down without the PPRV FUEL IS ALLOWED TO BACKFLOW THROUGH THE PUMP. This reduces line pressure and the fuel pump response isnt as dramatic so the fuel pump continues to run at a higher duty cycle instead of just basically shutting down. Now when you hammer down the pressure hasnt dropped as far because now that fuel is allowed to flow both directions the ECU can properly control the fuel pressure even when the motor isnt consuming hardly any after a WOT gear change.... which means the pump doesnt shut down.

With the PPRV inline pressure spikes and the PPRV HOLDS THE PRESSURE. It can be as high as 90psi. So the ECU freaks out and practically stops the pump. With the PPRV gone the spike isnt as high... the PID fuel pump controls dont slow the pump down as much and you dont have the dramatic pressure drop when back on the throttle.

This is alot to take in and I honestly have a hard time explaining it so that everyone will understand. Not all of this is exactly correct but it will help it make sense to you. If your interested as to why the pump reacts more or less with different pressures I can go into PID controls loops but hold onto your seat. I hope i didnt make this too complicated or ramble too much.

1999 GT 630rwhp on pump, TFS Heads, MMR 4.75L, Highly Modified Kenne Bell 2.1 @ 20lbs, Custom Intercooler, JLT High Boost CAI, CMS Custom TFS Specific Cams, 3.55s, MGW, T56
post #14 of 44 Old October 1st, 2011, 11:06 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitmare67 View Post
You dont have to delete the pprv to install a focus pump. its a direct fit. A little more detail to what the PPRV does and what happens when you remove it.

The most simple explanation of the PPRV is a check valve. ALL cars have some sort of PPRV device. Without one all fuel injection cars would be extremely hard to start because they wouldn not maintain any fuel pressure after the prime cycle had ended

The PPRV allows the pump to turn on for a short time to prime the fuel system at start up. When the pump shuts off what holds the pressure? The PPRV. The PPRV on some models also blows off excessive pressure. We're talking when its above 60 or 80 lbs.

What does the PPRV cause hesitation? - picture this. Your hammer down balls out near redline and the fuel pump is running wide open then suddenly you lift and the throttle shuts. What happens? The fuel pressure spikes, the ecu registers this at the FRPS and slows/shuts the pump down but the PPRV holds the line pressure way above the setpoint. As the pump slows down there is nothing to relieve the pressure so the pump continues to slow down thinking the pressure isnt dropping... because the pprv is holding all of the fuel pressure on the sensor. This all happens within a split second of doing a gear change. Now you hammer down and the car falls on its face for a split second. Why? because the ECU thinks there is excessive fuel pressure so the pump slows WAY down and the PPRV holds all the line pressure when your foots is off the throttle. When you hammer down the pump is not running near the capacity needed and there is an IMMEDIATE pressure drop. The car runs out of fuel for a split second and falls on its face. The ECU registers this and sets the pump into wide open to make fuel pressure. The power comes back and all is happy until the next gear change.

Why do only some cars have this problem? It relates to HP being made and how hard the fuel pump is running. If the fuel pump is not running as fast it doesnt spike as hard. The spike isnt as extreme so the ECU response isnt as extreme and there isnt as much pressure drop. This is why mostly 03/04 cobra guys rave about the issue with 400+HP and not bolt on GTs.

Why does removing the PPRV stop the hesitation? When you lift and the fuel pump slows down without the PPRV FUEL IS ALLOWED TO BACKFLOW THROUGH THE PUMP. This reduces line pressure and the fuel pump response isnt as dramatic so the fuel pump continues to run at a higher duty cycle instead of just basically shutting down. Now when you hammer down the pressure hasnt dropped as far because now that fuel is allowed to flow both directions the ECU can properly control the fuel pressure even when the motor isnt consuming hardly any after a WOT gear change.... which means the pump doesnt shut down.

With the PPRV inline pressure spikes and the PPRV HOLDS THE PRESSURE. It can be as high as 90psi. So the ECU freaks out and practically stops the pump. With the PPRV gone the spike isnt as high... the PID fuel pump controls dont slow the pump down as much and you dont have the dramatic pressure drop when back on the throttle.

This is alot to take in and I honestly have a hard time explaining it so that everyone will understand. Not all of this is exactly correct but it will help it make sense to you. If your interested as to why the pump reacts more or less with different pressures I can go into PID controls loops but hold onto your seat. I hope i didnt make this too complicated or ramble too much.

Pretty good explanation. When I said you have to delete the PPRV on the focus pump, I meant you have to do it if you are having fuel pump scram issues between hard shifts. If you stay flat-footed while slamming the gears it's not a problem b/c the fuel pressure doesn't spike.

I simply meant that I have a focus SVT pump, and I had to delete the PPRV to fix the fix the hard shift issue. It really isn't a big deal not having the valve. As a habit you will need to run the key to on, wait a couple of seconds, and then crank. I usually turn the key to on, roll the windows down, and when that is done, I crank. It can be a little bit of a hard start when the car is hot and you have just turned it off and are trying to restart. A trade off well worth the issues of detonation and the fact that your car dies between shifts otherwise.

If you are in the tank, I recommend deleting so you never have to worry about it again.

Saleen Series II, MHS Stage 1 Heads & Blower Cams, 365whp/385wtq, Chicane I/C, Mosaleen Pulley, Fidanza FW, Alum Driveshaft, BBK Headers, Steeda Exhaust, TruTrac 31 Spline, 3.55s, 315s, MM FLSCs, Rear LCAs, MGW Shifter, Eibach Pro, Cobra Brakes.
post #15 of 44 Old October 1st, 2011, 03:32 PM
MM Fanatic

Agree. I tried both and removing the PPVR droped the fuel pump duty cycle about 8%!!!!

1999 GT 630rwhp on pump, TFS Heads, MMR 4.75L, Highly Modified Kenne Bell 2.1 @ 20lbs, Custom Intercooler, JLT High Boost CAI, CMS Custom TFS Specific Cams, 3.55s, MGW, T56
post #16 of 44 Old October 1st, 2011, 04:28 PM
MM Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to bottled2v
Or all you guys can just go auto and never have to worry about it .

'03 cobra- KB 2.8 mammoth, midpipe/catback, supporting mods, rxt twin disc, sra w/ 3.73's, E85

722/628 sae
post #17 of 44 Old October 1st, 2011, 04:31 PM
Enthusiast

I just don't lift. lol Seems to be the cure.
post #18 of 44 Old October 1st, 2011, 09:37 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by bottled2v View Post
Or all you guys can just go auto and never have to worry about it .
Seriously!? No thanks!

post #19 of 44 Old October 1st, 2011, 11:07 PM

GT's and Cobras have them. They are a huge restriction and during shifts causes hesitations because it's releasing pressure back into the tank and takes a while to close back up. On a highly modified car running high fuel pressure because of higher boost levels this can happen often.

When I removed mine I tried using the gates submersible fuel line but it kept wanting to kink and I didn't trust it. So I found a company that sold new clear corrugated submersible fuel line like what is used stock and it worked great. The only reason you can't reuse the stock line is that you either cut it off to remove the PPRV or change pumps. Or it leaks because it's already stretched out. I had to soak the new hose in boiling water and work it on to the pumps, Y fitting, and hat. Including the new clamps I had about $18 invested shipped. Has worked well for over 3 years.

Auto Performance Engineering - Walbro fuel pumps and more

An internal pic of the PPRV

I also removed my pulse dampener and upgraded the fuel rail connector to a 10 an Russell Ford EFI connector. These are 2 more huge restrictions. The stock fuel rails are fine.

Stock and Russell fuel rail connector

2000 GT 665/541 WHP/WTQ 4.6L SOHC 2V ON 93 OCTANE PUMP GAS.
post #20 of 44 Old October 2nd, 2011, 11:04 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jivepepper View Post
Stock and Russell fuel rail connector
Do you have the part number for that Jive? I've been wanting to upgrade the lines and have been looking for this for awhile. Also whats a rough guess at he number of feet needed to upgrade the feed line from tank to fuel rails? Any help would be great. Thanks ahead of time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/96-04/234591-pprv-delete-what-why.html
Posted By For Type Date
Can someone explain the PPRV mod in the fuel pump hat? | SVTPerformance.com This thread Refback January 30th, 2017 02:03 PM
Fuel Line Question | ModularFoxMustangs.com This thread Refback November 18th, 2016 04:33 PM
Tech - mustang6ers This thread Refback May 12th, 2015 01:56 PM
Tech - mustang6ers This thread Refback December 13th, 2014 11:12 PM
How-To: The Compilation | V6Mustang.com This thread Refback October 29th, 2013 12:42 AM
How-To: The Compilation This thread Refback March 10th, 2013 02:59 PM
How-To: The Compilation This thread Refback February 14th, 2013 11:11 PM