Forums at Modded Mustangs

Forums at Modded Mustangs (https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/)
-   96 - 04 (https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/96-04/)
-   -   ATTENTION ALL 5.4 GUYS, please read (https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/96-04/237868-attention-all-5-4-guys-please-read.html)

quiksilver225 October 29th, 2011 12:36 AM

ATTENTION ALL 5.4 GUYS, please read

That's right bitches, im back. After a nearly 2 year hiatus im coming back and with a vengance. 2 years ago I started shopping around to prepare for my 5.4 swap. The combination of being a fulll time student with a part time job and a life sucking twat of a chick proved to be too grwat a hurdle to overcome. Well, those days are long behind. I lost the bitch and thanks to a little capital and some day trading know-how im ready to make this happen. Terry johnson of street lethal performance in new castle, pa is ready to start building my engine. Im going with a 5.4 used but clean block, all forged manly internals, and a set of 4v cobra heads with a fully upgraded valvetrain. Those are the definites as of now. Im still trying to decide whether or not I wanna pay the extra amount of money for a turbo over the f1a procharger kit. Im open to suggestions. Im here to get som feedback, some suggestions, and im hoping a few people are sitting on some useful parts that they might be interested in parting ways with. If so shoot me a line. The sky is the limit right now, so don't hold back.

...god it feels good to be back

mwilly October 29th, 2011 04:08 AM

Funny how women will do that to you eh? Welcome back!

I'm a turbo guy, so I'm gonna say turbo!!

doubleohvert October 29th, 2011 08:19 AM

sounds like a good build. one thing I've been thinking of and i figure ill mention it here, I'm considering a 5.4 TFS headed build, would this be a good investment or just stick with tfs headed 4.6 or ported head 5.4?

BakerFX4 October 29th, 2011 12:24 PM

5.4 4v

quiksilver225 October 29th, 2011 01:05 PM

Holy shit, lol. Nothing has changed here, has it?... fuck tfs heads. Get 4v heads. I don't give a damn how many cfm they flow. A ported set of tfs head will never make you the power that a shit set of 4v heads will. Never ever, not in a million years. Its not as big a deal to go 4v as ppl make it out to be and its not any more expensive if u shop around. Don't be silly, my man. Go 4v or don't do anything at all. You'd be wasting your money.

jeep45238 October 29th, 2011 01:29 PM

Turbo.

JTs03v6 October 29th, 2011 02:10 PM

pt6766 cea. I had a d1sc and now a pt6262 cea. But then again the f1a is a pretty nice peice as well, I just prefer the power of a turbo. And you cant beat the price or performance of the new precision cea turbo's.

doubleohvert October 29th, 2011 02:25 PM

what intake do you run with a 4v 5.4? what about headers? does anyone make an affordable set of LT headers for a 5.4 mustang yet?

TaintedStang October 29th, 2011 03:13 PM

Theirs a set of ported 03 Cobra heads with stock cams in the classifieds on here that someone is trying to sell for $700 plus shipping. I say get those and save money compared to the trickflow heads. I have also been following a thread on Corral about someone putting the Boss 302 intake mani on a 5.4 with Navigator heads. It supposedly works with only minor modifications.

TaintedStang October 29th, 2011 03:19 PM

DickH October 29th, 2011 03:21 PM

Yeah boss 302 intake has almost the same ports and they almost line up perfectly to a set of C heads on a 5.4. Next option for a 4v 5.4 becomes a waiting game to find either a Sullivan or boss 290 intake. Of course you could fall back on a cobra intake with adapters, but everyone hates that idea. I don't think we will see a nice set of long tube headers made for 5.4 swaps any time soon. Not a lot of people do the swap, and people shim the k members or get drop motor mounts, both, maybe neither. Hard to make exhaust that you can promise will work when you cant promise it will fit.

quiksilver225 October 30th, 2011 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TaintedStang (Post 4062457)

im definitely gonna need to check this out.The biggest hurdle here is the intake. i hate the idea of using adapter plates, but what r u gonna do. Sullivan says they cant afford to work over their machining after the milling wore out and the lost the amount of precision they need to continue making the intakes. if the boss intake works, thatd be awesome.

quiksilver225 October 30th, 2011 03:26 AM

terry has a set of cobra heads at the shop.they are good, clean heads. no problems and they are fully upgraded, bullet-proof heads. hes selling them for $1500. gettinga set for $700 is great, but then by the time i finish dumping enough cash into them to make them capable of withstanding the level of abuse i plan to administer when this build is finished, they will likely end up costing more. but thanks for the suggestion

quiksilver225 October 30th, 2011 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doubleohvert (Post 4062387)
what intake do you run with a 4v 5.4? what about headers? does anyone make an affordable set of LT headers for a 5.4 mustang yet?

ya, they exist. but they are not even close to being worth the hassle. i have a set of LTs on my car now. prob a dumb purchase. total pain in the ass to install on a 4.6(believe me, it took me and a few friends 3 fucking days). now try to install them on a 5.4 in the same engine bay. ya, its possible... but now that we can barely do it on a 2v 5.4, do u really wanna try to do it on a 4v 5.4?? lol. i didnt think so. lots of work, lots of money, no difference in power. when im boosting this bitch into the high heavens having a set of long tube headers is going to be the least of my concerns.

quiksilver225 October 30th, 2011 03:33 AM

ill be wiring about 3k over to terry at street lethal so he can start ordering parts next week. so if anyone wants to chime in on the short block or make any suggestions now is the time. in 2 weeks thing are going to be getting assembled. right now we r looking at about $6,100 using a used block and the cylinder heads i mentioned a few times before. still searching for an intake solution.

quiksilver225 October 30th, 2011 03:34 AM

fuck... i forgot that you can quote multiple messages in one response. im a total noob right now...

doubleohvert October 30th, 2011 07:42 AM

i see y'alls point and I appreciate the 4v advice and I'll definitely take it into consideration, and I was just reminding myself of the 1st long tube install i did. lol. It was on a buddy's 96 cobra and a total pita. did it in the drive way, took 2 days. when i did mine on my car it took about 5hrs but we had a lift and air tools and its a 2v, but 2 months later when the trans broke i paid a guy to replace it, best $200 ever spent. lol. My biggest issue with a 4v swap, or even a 5.4 in general is that my car is already a full bolt-on car so id basically have to sell my stuff and re-buy everything. I like the 5.4 idea because with my car being a full weight convertible street car i need all the extra torque i can get, and ideally id like to get about 320-350rwhp for now, and possibly put together a centri kit later and shoot for upper 400s to lower 500s

quiksilver225 October 30th, 2011 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by doubleohvert (Post 4063414)
i see y'alls point and I appreciate the 4v advice and I'll definitely take it into consideration, and I was just reminding myself of the 1st long tube install i did. lol. It was on a buddy's 96 cobra and a total pita. did it in the drive way, took 2 days. when i did mine on my car it took about 5hrs but we had a lift and air tools and its a 2v, but 2 months later when the trans broke i paid a guy to replace it, best $200 ever spent. lol. My biggest issue with a 4v swap, or even a 5.4 in general is that my car is already a full bolt-on car so id basically have to sell my stuff and re-buy everything. I like the 5.4 idea because with my car being a full weight convertible street car i need all the extra torque i can get, and ideally id like to get about 320-350rwhp for now, and possibly put together a centri kit later and shoot for upper 400s to lower 500s

you, like myself, will eventually come to realize that bolt on parts are for high school kids with high school mentalities who want to "do their own work on their own car" and then talk about the cool shit they just bolught for their bitchin' new ride and how much faster it feels.

...that shit doesnt do anything. lol. i used to be that guy. that guy is awesome, but hes also stupid. if i wouldve saved all that money i spent on buying my horsepower 1 HP at a time i probably could got a damn blower by now.

point being: you WILL NOT miss the bolt on garbage. its useless unless your looking to make conversation with a cheerleader next to her locker. you will have erased your mistakes by getting yourself a much better platform to build from. get the 5.4 and then get some real power adders for it. no more trinkets and twiddly dinks.

2VSouth October 30th, 2011 06:57 PM

You do realize that the cobra heads won't work since you're doing a 5.4 4v right? You'd need a set of Navigator heads, unless you plan to mod a 5.4 intake so the 4.6 heads will work.

TaintedStang October 30th, 2011 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2VSouth (Post 4063971)
You do realize that the cobra heads won't work since you're doing a 5.4 4v right? You'd need a set of Navigator heads, unless you plan to mod a 5.4 intake so the 4.6 heads will work.

Cobra heads will work, just like any other head made for a 4.6 or 5.4.

Edit: I think I misunderstood what your saying though. You talking about using the boss intake or just the heads won't work on the 5.4 block?