Question for 'vert owners - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old February 14th, 2012, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
I like boobs!!!

Question for 'vert owners

So, like the title says, this is for owners of convertibles, or anyone who has knowledge on the subject.

Have you ever gotten water in the car after a rainstorm? I think I did. I was driving my car to work today (it rained all last night) and I heard water swooshing when I went around a turn. I felt the floorboards, nothing. Is there somewhere that water can get in and you can't see it? Thanks for your info.

'00 V6 being gutted for real fun! Fixing where I went wrong with my last 2000
'04 V6 for my stepson
'27 Ford T Sedan, sold
'12 GT, Roush Exh, Steeda 101mm CAI, SCT Tune, MGW, 388 WHP 375 WTQ, Sold
'00 GT Vert, Built, Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old February 14th, 2012, 11:24 PM
MM Fanatic

Check your trunk.

94 GT Vert

<a href="https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/projects/277159-nkauschs-turbo-vert-pic-heavy.html"]https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/projects/277159-nkauschs-turbo-vert-pic-heavy.html">70mm Turbo Build</A>
post #3 of 14 Old February 14th, 2012, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
I like boobs!!!

Nothing in there but a bottle of go juice.

'04 V6 for my stepson
'27 Ford T Sedan, sold
'00 GT Vert, Built, Sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old February 15th, 2012, 12:07 AM
Enthusiast

mine use to leak in the well cover its behind the back seat.
post #5 of 14 Old February 15th, 2012, 12:13 AM
MM Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweety_5150 View Post
This is where mine collected before I replaced it. I can't think of anywhere else it could collect and sloosh.

Tuned by [email protected]

CMS Stage 1 Cams, 4.10 Gears, TrickFlow 70mm TB & Plenum, MAC Prochamber with Pypes M80's, MGW Shifter, Custom Paint, Cobra Cloth Top, Staggered Chrome 18" Saleen's and Sequential Tails.
post #6 of 14 Old February 15th, 2012, 12:56 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tweety_5150 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohnstud4200 View Post
This is where mine collected before I replaced it. I can't think of anywhere else it could collect and sloosh.
+1 on both of these. Leaks collected on the well liner and sloshed like a bathtub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkape View Post
I like MM though. It's a mustang forum, and, the only one I know of where I could tell you to fuck off.. or to suck my dick. Or, to tell you you have a small penis or that I fucked your mom last night and it's ok.
post #7 of 14 Old February 15th, 2012, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
I like boobs!!!

Interesting. Where did it leak in from? Anything that's easily fixable? My top is in good condition.

'04 V6 for my stepson
'27 Ford T Sedan, sold
'00 GT Vert, Built, Sold
post #8 of 14 Old February 15th, 2012, 01:29 AM
MM Fanatic

check your heater core box drain to make sure it is not plugged. has not happened to me in the mustang but in my jeep if it plugs up, the water from the cowl area fills the heater box and will slosh

KB'd 446rwhp/451rwtq, Mustang Dyno http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZDpQ0EEm1M
Tuned by Joe at http://www.tricktuners.com
post #9 of 14 Old February 15th, 2012, 01:30 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Garage
I had to replace my top and rear window last spring, the thing was just that bad.

I can tell you that they are 2 seperate pieces that don't join together. The only seal between them is how tight the pieces are installed. The rear window wraps almost to the side windows, the the top goes over that from the sides to just over the rear window.

I'm at work now but if you want I can link some install instructions when I get home in the morning. They won't help your leak but it'll show you how the 2 sections interact with each other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkape View Post
I like MM though. It's a mustang forum, and, the only one I know of where I could tell you to fuck off.. or to suck my dick. Or, to tell you you have a small penis or that I fucked your mom last night and it's ok.
post #10 of 14 Old February 15th, 2012, 01:30 AM
Regular

How to Fix a Leak in a 1999 - 2004 Mustang Vert - MustangForums.com

Very Likely

2002 Mustang GT Convertible

Built Motor - Vortech V3 Intercooled

The Mustang Shop - Calgary AB Canada
post #11 of 14 Old February 15th, 2012, 01:46 AM
Mr. Stangarang

Garage
Easier than clicking the link lol

Quote:

Symptoms:
-------------
After rain or washing your car, the area behind the back seat has a puddle of water - ever hear a sloshing sound when driving around a corner? - Thats what is causing it. In very heavy rain dampness may also be found on the floor behind the front seats in the back seat foot wells and also in the trunk closest to the passenger compartment.

Cause:
-------
On either side of the back window, in the bottom corners, one or two wear holes will be present that allow the water to enter from the outside when it is present. The holes are difficult to locate (This is difficult to describe without pictures so have a look at the attached images as you are reading this) -

From the outside- Stand beside the car in front of one of the back wheels, facing the car. If you look at the rear glass you will notice there is a fold of material between you and the glass, slip your hand into it and slide your fingers down into the corner nearest you - feel around and you will find a small how about the size of a pea, possibly larger - that is the culprit. Look at the images below for a shot of where your hand should be.

This is where your hand should be:

This is where the hole is located if you were able to see it from the outside

From the inside- Climb into the back seat facing the back of the car, on one side of the well behind the back seat rest (where the top goes when it is down), pull the curtain/headliner that is attached to the rear corner of the interior of the inside to one side, feel along the fold of material in the interior of the canvas top and you should find the hole in this location. Look the following images for a shot of where the hole I found was.

Here I am pointing at the location of the hole

In the center of this image you can see some frayed material - that is a side view of the hole

A better picture of the hole

The Fix:
---------
The good news is that there is a cheap and easy way to fix these holes. In the other thread that I mentioned, antiv6 suggested a patch product that looks like it would work really well - if I could go back I would probably just buy that and use it. I fixed it by using stuff in a tube called VLP (see pictures of it attached) - I got it in ACE hardware for around $5 I think - can't quite remember now. I used the VLP and strips of vinyl that I cut off an old computer bag to patch the holes on the inside and the outside (just to be sure). Sticking the patch on the outside was easy because the fold of the top naturally presses the patch into the shape of the top and holds it in place until it is dry. The inside was more difficult however and I used two small pieces of wood top hold the patch over the hole and the attached large spring clips to apply pressure on the pieces of wood. Make sure you dont move the top or expose it to rain for at least 24 hours to let the glue cure. If you don't have an old cavas bag that you can cut up for patches just try to get some flexible material that matches your top as closely as possible - also make sure to use plenty of the glue - I did not spare it.

USAF E-5
IG @ nj_5oh

Current Vehicles

14' Mustang GT "Alexandria" - Paxton Supercharged
15' GSX-R 600

Sold Vehicles

08' Lancer Evolution X MR
04' Mustang GT - Single Turbo

post #12 of 14 Old February 15th, 2012, 03:31 AM Thread Starter
I like boobs!!!

You guys were right. Water over the rear axle hump sloshing. Midnight, thanks for that post. Reps will be given to all when I'm not posting from my phone. Thanks again

'04 V6 for my stepson
'27 Ford T Sedan, sold
'00 GT Vert, Built, Sold
post #13 of 14 Old February 15th, 2012, 08:13 AM
MM Fanatic

I purchased and installed a new canvas top myself. if you have an air compressor and minor mechanical abilities, you can do the job yourself. I was quoted an average of $1650 to replace my top with new canvas and glass w/defroster window. I installed it myself for the cost of the top, $450. You can get a new vinyl for around $300.

Tuned by [email protected]

CMS Stage 1 Cams, 4.10 Gears, TrickFlow 70mm TB & Plenum, MAC Prochamber with Pypes M80's, MGW Shifter, Custom Paint, Cobra Cloth Top, Staggered Chrome 18" Saleen's and Sequential Tails.
post #14 of 14 Old February 15th, 2012, 10:53 AM
Regular

Mine was leaking at the well liner and i use some 3M window sealer around the window and on the inside of the canvas near the window and that stopped it.

99 GT VERT 99 COBRA RIMS, CAI, PYPES X-PIPE, PYPES M80 CAT BACK, SUB FRAME CONNECTORS, BAMA TUNES, BBK 78mm TB, 4.10s, B&M Hammer Shift

BAMA Performance Drag Team Member #8

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page