2004 Mustang iPod Integration - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 Old February 29th, 2012, 03:14 AM Thread Starter
More average than ever

2004 Mustang iPod Integration

Posted this in 4V section too. I finally found something promising for those of us with 04s.
FRD03-POD/S 2004-2006 Ford-to-iPod Interface Kit

UPDATE: Got the kit today, I'm returning it tomorrow. The interface for the factory stereo was terrible. It worked fine controlling through the iPod, but I wanted to control my music through the stereo.

New Update: Noticed someone used this thread in a how-to thread of theirs. So heres an update. Got the unit for free b/c seller didn't reply to paypal after ignoring me. Paypal reimbursed me and said it was up to me if I wanted to keep/return it. Kept it, I can live with the janky controls for free.

Cliffs: Wouldn't spend anywhere near what guy is asking for them, but they do "work" 90% of the time.

Last edited by SlowbaltSS; February 20th, 2013 at 09:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old February 29th, 2012, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
More average than ever

According to the website, the iPod touch won't work. But what do they know? I'm buying this thing when I get my tax return. I have a 32GB 2nd gen touch so I'll see if it works, but in case not, I also have a 16GB 5ft gen nano that I haven't used in years.
post #3 of 25 Old February 29th, 2012, 05:30 AM
Regular

But, you can't hear your Iphone ring when it's plugged in and it also apparently won't charge an iphone.

Pretty much useless for the majority of users.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 Old February 29th, 2012, 06:51 AM
Mr. Stangarang

Garage
Just buy an aftermarket head unit and be done with it.

Crutchfield: Car Stereo, Speakers, Home Theater, LCD TV, Digital Cameras

USAF E-5
IG @ nj_5oh

Current Vehicles

14' Mustang GT "Alexandria" - Paxton Supercharged
15' GSX-R 600

Sold Vehicles

08' Lancer Evolution X MR
04' Mustang GT - Single Turbo

post #5 of 25 Old February 29th, 2012, 08:50 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04MidnightGT View Post
Just buy an aftermarket head unit and be done with it.

Crutchfield: Car Stereo, Speakers, Home Theater, LCD TV, Digital Cameras
I plan on doing this soon, but want to still use the Mach 400 amps and speakers. How in the hell does that work since Ford went with a 2 Ohm system?

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2002 Laser Red GT - Sold
Laser Red Crew, Founder
post #6 of 25 Old February 29th, 2012, 09:16 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaidWOT View Post
I plan on doing this soon, but want to still use the Mach 400 amps and speakers. How in the hell does that work since Ford went with a 2 Ohm system?
It doesn't. Dont waste your time on a new head unit unless you plan on switching out the entire system.

Let us know if this works.
post #7 of 25 Old February 29th, 2012, 09:18 AM
Regular

Send a message via MSN to crappy_head
I have one of those OP, but it sure as hell didn't cost me 140 bucks! look around for a cheaper price. I think I got mine at crutchfield.

HP 383 TQ 380 | Vortech V-2 SQ Intercooled | 410 Gears |Accufab 75mm TB | UPR O/R X Pipe | Flowmaster 40s
Eibach Sportline Springs | Steeda U&L Rear Arms | Subframe Connectors | Steeda Sport Shifter
post #8 of 25 Old February 29th, 2012, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
More average than ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by crappy_head View Post
I have one of those OP, but it sure as hell didn't cost me 140 bucks! look around for a cheaper price. I think I got mine at crutchfield.
The only one on crutchfield is $150. The stereo is different in the 2004s than the 1999-2003s. The PIE connectors won't work for 04. This website for the $140 one also has a similar model for $100, but it says it only works with systems without the SAT button. The $140 kit plugs into the satellite radio input for those of us who have it. I don't plan on getting satellite radio, so this looks like the best deal I could find.
post #9 of 25 Old February 29th, 2012, 02:36 PM
Get out of my way.

It's a cool idea and makes me think about picking one up for my 01 and those are compatible with my iPhone but I have to ask, I am currently using an FM transmitter, is this a better way to go? The transmitter can be used in any car but this is installed specific to one vehicle. Is there that much of a benefit for the cost and install?

Procharged 2001 Mustang GT

post #10 of 25 Old February 29th, 2012, 05:03 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gebor View Post
It doesn't. Dont waste your time on a new head unit unless you plan on switching out the entire system.

Let us know if this works.
my car has an aftermarket pioneer dvd/cd player and it still has the factory mach speakers. idk how its done, it was in when i bought it.

04 Redfire Metallic GT, BBK 75MM TB, BBK CAI, SLP LM2 Catback, SLP catted X, BBK lowering springs, 4.10s, MGW short shifter
post #11 of 25 Old February 29th, 2012, 06:19 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwebb14 View Post
my car has an aftermarket pioneer dvd/cd player and it still has the factory mach speakers. idk how its done, it was in when i bought it.
Yeah you can do it, but the quality wont be as good. I went through this with 3 diffrent units on the 460 and 1000.
post #12 of 25 Old February 29th, 2012, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
More average than ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwebb14 View Post
I believe aftermarket HUs bypass the mach 460s amps. Speakers will work, but no ballz.
post #13 of 25 Old February 29th, 2012, 07:45 PM
MM Fanatic

I have been looking for ways to hook some kind of AUX audio up to the "SAT" button for a while. This is interesting for sure, but I might wait out some more options. I would like something as simple as a headphone plug. That way I can play any audio device.

Good find though. Definatly would be cool if you had an old ipod and a mustang

MODS:

Vortech V1 T-Trim @ 7.5 PSI (tuned down)
Comp Cams XE270-AH
+ See Garage

432 rwhp / 396 rwtq 02/27/2011
NEW VIDEOS!
**It takes ~$60 a rwhp (over stock) for a 99-04 Mustang GT.** Do the Math
PLANS ON HOLD
post #14 of 25 Old February 29th, 2012, 07:59 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowbaltSS View Post
I believe aftermarket HUs bypass the mach 460s amps. Speakers will work, but no ballz.
the amps on mine work also, sounds real nice, plenty of bass, sounds as good as the one i had in my 01 with stock HU. but at about 10 i can tell its pushing the speakers though.

04 Redfire Metallic GT, BBK 75MM TB, BBK CAI, SLP LM2 Catback, SLP catted X, BBK lowering springs, 4.10s, MGW short shifter
post #15 of 25 Old February 29th, 2012, 11:45 PM
MM Fanatic

What exactly is so special about the Mach 460 and 1000 speakers? Do they sound better than other stock speakers? Are they better than aftermarket speakers? I've got a Kenwood head unit with bluetooth and Ipod integration in both my Mustang and Crown Vic. I have matched Kenwood 3 ways in the Vic that sound great, and plan on upgrading the cheap 2 ways that are in the Mustang now with the same ones when I have an extra $150 to throw at speakers. If the Mach speakers are great, I can understand keeping them, but I don't mind the amp bypass I'm using and running right off my head unit. If I want more power or a sub, I'll get a good Amp, but I like hearing my exhaust.
post #16 of 25 Old March 1st, 2012, 05:30 AM
Regular

All those head units on that site are ricey and none of them flow with the interior of the car. I'd rather keeps factory head unit than go to one of those.
post #17 of 25 Old March 1st, 2012, 05:34 AM Thread Starter
More average than ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by SL1MDADDY View Post
It's a cool idea and makes me think about picking one up for my 01 and those are compatible with my iPhone but I have to ask, I am currently using an FM transmitter, is this a better way to go? The transmitter can be used in any car but this is installed specific to one vehicle. Is there that much of a benefit for the cost and install?
Hard wiring is always better in terms of quality than the transmitters. I'm not sure if the difference is über noticeable, but the the ability to control my iPod through the head unit is what really attracts me rather than taking my eyes off the road to select a new artist or what not.
post #18 of 25 Old March 1st, 2012, 01:46 PM
MM Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aristeros View Post
All those head units on that site are ricey and none of them flow with the interior of the car. I'd rather keeps factory head unit than go to one of those.
My Kenwood flows with the interior nicely. Has rear USB so I ran the cable behind the dash and put a small hole in the shelf under the Head Unit for the Ipod and the remote. Ran the cable for the mic under the dash and mounted the mic over the driver's side sun visor. Only thing on the face of mine is the Volume/Ipod knob, and you can have it display in various colors (mine is matched to the gauge cluster) and do anything from Track Info to just a basic clock display. I really didn't want anything full of flashing lights and too much info, clean and efficient is what I was after.

Here's what mine looks like...
Kenwood Excelon KDC-X994 CD receiver at Crutchfield.com
post #19 of 25 Old March 1st, 2012, 01:54 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodman View Post
What exactly is so special about the Mach 460 and 1000 speakers? Do they sound better than other stock speakers? Are they better than aftermarket speakers? I've got a Kenwood head unit with bluetooth and Ipod integration in both my Mustang and Crown Vic. I have matched Kenwood 3 ways in the Vic that sound great, and plan on upgrading the cheap 2 ways that are in the Mustang now with the same ones when I have an extra $150 to throw at speakers. If the Mach speakers are great, I can understand keeping them, but I don't mind the amp bypass I'm using and running right off my head unit. If I want more power or a sub, I'll get a good Amp, but I like hearing my exhaust.
Ford used a 2 Ohm system. Almost all aftermarket speakers are 4 Ohms. Aftermarket Head Units also use 4 Ohms. This makes the Mach systems hard to use with Aftermarket components. It will work, but the sounds is just off.

I'm trying to find the adapter that actually allows the HU to use the Mach Amps. I'll post it up when I find it.

EDIT:
Here you go. Haven't tried this yet, but it's worth a shot, right?
http://autocarsuperstore.com/product...1-Amp-Int.html

Also, there's this: http://www.crutchfield.com/S-TqKdH4I...+harness&ssi=0

2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
2002 Laser Red GT - Sold
Laser Red Crew, Founder
post #20 of 25 Old March 2nd, 2012, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
More average than ever

I'm going to order the kit today. I'll make a write-up with lovely pictures when I install it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/96-04/252218-2004-mustang-ipod-integration.html
Posted By For Type Date
Tech - mustang6ers This thread Refback April 18th, 2015 09:34 PM
Tech - Coming Soon This thread Refback November 30th, 2014 01:18 AM
How-To: The Compilation | V6Mustang.com This thread Refback October 29th, 2013 03:20 PM
How-To: The Compilation This thread Refback February 21st, 2013 09:31 AM
How-To: The Compilation This thread Refback February 9th, 2013 02:13 AM
How-To: The Compilation This thread Refback October 4th, 2012 10:35 PM