HOW TO: Splice in sequential tail lights. - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old March 12th, 2012, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
MM's V6 Hater

HOW TO: Splice in sequential tail lights.

I haven't seen any good write ups on this and I decided to make one. I couldn't see myself paying 150.00 for the plug and play ones off Am since splice ins are very simple and saves a lot of money. These were a impulse buy and I happy with it especially with the price.

ITEMS BOUGHT
Splice in sequence flashers. $59.95
1999-2004 Mustang Premium Sequential Tail Lights Kit

Autotrix flasher relay. $33.99
AutoTrix :: Modified Mustang Turn Signal Flasher

DIAGRAM AT END

TOOLS NEEDED:
Wire cutter/crimper
razor blade
11mm or 7/16 socket
flat head screw driver

WHAT COMES IN THE KIT:
(2) sequential flashers
(2) Scotch-lok

STEP 1:
Confirm all your bulbs are working and functioning properly. Replace if needed.

STEP 2:
Remove the four nuts holding the tail lights in place. I assume everyone knows how to pull the carpet back. So I am not going to cover that part.

STEP 3:
From inside the trunk, locate the 2 tail light plug in connectors. One side will have green tape and the other side will have orange tape around the wiring.Remove the tape and black plastic to expose the wiring. There are four little 'boxes' find the box which has two of the same color wires going into it. Cut those two wires about 2 inches from the connector. strip about 3/8" of the wire (both) the is still connected to the connector. Once you strip the wires, twist them together. Now put them into the BLUE butt connector and crimp it in place.

the remaining cut wire; strip them back about 1/4" and take one wire into each RED butt connector and crimp them down.

STEP 4:
Connect the black sequencer module wire to the SOLID BLACK wire with supplied scotch-lok. crimp the metal deal down.DO NOT connect the black w/ pink stripe wire.

STEP 5:
Route the red wire from the sequencer module through the rubber wiring grommet. I chose to use a drill and make a hole through it. then i shoved the metal end through and used pillars to pull through to the outside of the trunk.

Now remove the blub/socket ABOVE the reverse light. Pull the rubber gasket thing out. Now cut a slit onto the far side. corresponding the the 'ground' marketed on the bulb socket. I went with a "V" cut. Next, shove the metal end into the ground until its seated. it will be farther in than the stock two metal parts already in the socket. reinsert the rubber gasket, putting the red wire in the groove you cut in the gasket.

Put the socket back in the tail light housing and place the tail light into its position. hit the hazard switch and see if the bulbs are sequencing in order. If not, Just pull the bulb sockets out and switch them around so they flash in order. My first taillight flashed ( from center out) 1,3,2. Something was wrong. So I just took the wires that went into the RED butt connectors and switched them and solved the issue. Once the lights were functioning 1,2,3 ( from center out, in order) i put the tail light back on and bolted in into place.

STEP 6:
Repeat process on other tail light.
hit the hazards to ensure both lights and functioning correctly. Also, have someone hit the brake and make sure they sequence and remain lit. Should have something like this:

70c71088.mp4 video by cabikejumper - Photobucket

this is without the relay. My relay should be here in a few days and it will slow the sequence rate down.

everyone knows what they look like, but ill take another video at night.

2013 GT
2016 F150
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old March 12th, 2012, 07:28 PM Thread Starter
MM's V6 Hater

reserved

2013 GT
2016 F150
post #3 of 8 Old March 12th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Jackpot, fishypoopypants!

Your video made my computer BSOD.

Anyways, good write up. I like the faster flash, though. The slow one reminds me of the arrows you see in front of restaurants advertising their old people dinner.

4v swap underway
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old March 12th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Abyssinian of AX

I will send this to the "How to" section after a week or so

Jazzer says.... good stuff

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb213/jazzerthecat/JazzerEatsTwisty.jpg

Un-Official Suspension Guide | Choosing a new tire | Brakes upgrade ~ Speeding up slowing down | T-3650 ~ T-56 swap | Tire and Wheel Fitment Guide | The Kitty makes front page news
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.gonzo! View Post
It would still be fun to have a truck that poops speed bumps in fast succession.
post #5 of 8 Old March 12th, 2012, 07:55 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Very nice write up! REp'd

My other car is a 867 HP Challenger -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b89K9NlpYCg&feature=plcp
CHECK MEH GARAGE
BAMA Performance Drag Team #9
post #6 of 8 Old March 12th, 2012, 09:53 PM Thread Starter
MM's V6 Hater

Thanks. First side took about 30 minutes. Just going slow to make sure I didnt fuck up. Other side took 10 minutes at most.

2013 GT
2016 F150
post #7 of 8 Old December 21st, 2012, 09:00 PM
2013 5.0

Send a message via AIM to slonison
Cabike, any chance you can refresh the images above, I want to do this but they're all deleted/moved.

Steve's House

120+ V6 How-To's

2013Black 5.0
2002 Black Vert - Sold
1998 True Blue Coupe - Totaled
post #8 of 8 Old December 21st, 2012, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
MM's V6 Hater

I deleted the pictures. Forgot I had this thread. Ill see if I can find something to help you out

Here's a write up from americanmuscle. Different style kit but should be the same steps as the kit I have

http://1.cdn.lib.americanmuscle.com/...99021-cust.pdf

Hope that helps

2013 GT
2016 F150
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/96-04/253857-how-splice-sequential-tail-lights.html
Posted By For Type Date
Tech - mustang6ers This thread Refback January 17th, 2015 01:28 PM
How-To: The Compilation | V6Mustang.com This thread Refback October 28th, 2013 08:31 PM
How-To: The Compilation This thread Refback February 12th, 2013 01:08 AM
Thread Thundercat Electronixx Sequential Tail Lights | Impala SS Forum | BoardReader This thread Refback July 2nd, 2012 07:32 PM
Thread pulled over for smoked tail lights | Forums at Modded Mustangs | BoardReader This thread Refback June 30th, 2012 09:27 PM