4r70w - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old March 19th, 2012, 10:37 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Question 4r70w

ok i have a question about my tranny do they have a manual shift body? how does it work? is it worth it? any help would be appreciated

new beast
Gt40p heads,e303 cam,upper and lower tfs intake,3.73 gears,hurst short shifter,bbk cai,75mm tb,bbk spacer,l/t headers,flowmaster catback,centerforce clutch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old March 19th, 2012, 10:56 PM

Yes they do have a manual shift valve body, they work pretty much like a stick without the clutch. there are pros and cons from using one, but I think is all in the eye of the beholder. The good thing about going this route is if you decided you dont like it, then back to your other valve body and your back to fully auto. I am currently having my 4R70W built, and I decided to keep my shifting up to the tuner and the computer. if i want to bang gears I go get into the old 5.0.

Convertible Crew Founder
Proud Iraq and Afghanistan War veteran

700 RWHP Club Member #1

Vortech T Trim @18 PSI
604 RWHP 516 FT LB
[email protected]@ 523RWHP

Precision Turbo 7675 CEA @ 20 PSI
738 RWHP 691 FT LB
10.9 @ 131 MPH
post #3 of 11 Old March 19th, 2012, 10:59 PM
Enthusiast

TRANS-GO SHIFT KIT HD2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old March 19th, 2012, 11:01 PM
Pays in respect

EDIT: DARN you beat me to it..

If I understand correctly, with the Trans-Go HD2 for the 4r70w, you get manual shifting capabilities of a manual valvebody but with the luxury of an auto. Everything is the same, but when you choose to change gears, it follows your command. It also allows you to downshift. Make sure you get a transmission cooler though, because with the increased performance there will be more heat build up.

2002 Ford Mustang 4.6 GT Coupe

Big Red BOV - B&M Hammer - Procharger P1sc - 3 Core Intercooler - UPR Catted X - SSS Terminators
H&R Super Sports - Bilstein HD
post #5 of 11 Old March 19th, 2012, 11:03 PM
Enthusiast

I have a Dirty Dog Converter and built 4r70w and will never go back to a 5-speed. Well that is as long as my car is turbo...
post #6 of 11 Old March 19th, 2012, 11:04 PM
Enthusiast

^ I repped ya. Totally slipped my mind: trans cooler is a MUST.
post #7 of 11 Old March 19th, 2012, 11:23 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Not trying to thread jack, but when you say you can shift it, how does that work since it still has a computer, I'm looking into that hd2 kit for my next mod after I get my gears and rear end swapped
post #8 of 11 Old March 19th, 2012, 11:35 PM
Pays in respect

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra241 View Post
Not trying to thread jack, but when you say you can shift it, how does that work since it still has a computer, I'm looking into that hd2 kit for my next mod after I get my gears and rear end swapped
When you manually shift gears in our stock transmission for instance, you're only setting a limit to which gears the computer has access to. For example, when you put the car in 1st and drive off, the computer won't be allowed to shift into 2nd until you move the shifter into 2, and so when you do, 2nd gear becomes available to the computer and it will shift when it's necessary, you aren't commanding the transmission to upshift.

Say you do a WOT pull from 1st, moving the shifter up each time when you reach desired rpms in each gear, putting the shifter in 2 allows the computer to make the upshift, and moving it into drive for 3rd gear gives the transmission access to 3rd and o/d.

With the shift kit, moving the shifter in 1, 2, and drive makes the transmission shift into those gears the instant you do so. Putting in drive gives back the computer control. If you get an aftermarket shifter you can stay in the 3rd without giving control back to the computer. Make sense?

2002 Ford Mustang 4.6 GT Coupe

Big Red BOV - B&M Hammer - Procharger P1sc - 3 Core Intercooler - UPR Catted X - SSS Terminators
H&R Super Sports - Bilstein HD
post #9 of 11 Old March 19th, 2012, 11:56 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

fairbanks shift kit is the way to go!
post #10 of 11 Old March 20th, 2012, 03:29 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Yes that does thanks for clearing that up
post #11 of 11 Old March 20th, 2012, 08:37 PM Thread Starter
Regular

true because when drop to first go wot shift to 2nd it takes a while then it shift lol ok so when your cruising you shift it manualy?

new beast
Gt40p heads,e303 cam,upper and lower tfs intake,3.73 gears,hurst short shifter,bbk cai,75mm tb,bbk spacer,l/t headers,flowmaster catback,centerforce clutch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page