Trick Tuners or BAMA? - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old August 17th, 2012, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Shikakaaaa

Trick Tuners or BAMA?

Which do you all prefer? Trick or BAMA? And why do you prefer them? Ive heard a ton of good things about BAMA, but ive also heard some bad. Some say theyre tunes are complete shit, and had advanced the timing way way too much. Havent heard much about trick tuners,so id like to find out what they offer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old August 18th, 2012, 01:47 AM
Enthusiast

Bama blows imo. They come on with this spill of how their tunes are custom because they fit all these parts they have available and dyno them. And im sure you know every car reacts different to mods. They set the tune for safety to cover thir butts and it ends up being too safe. I have also been noticing alot of what they claim to be "typos" in the tune. They are more about selling than personal tuning. Sell as much as they can.

Joe does it as a hobby and takes his time and checks every single detail in the tune, and he is focused soley on quality over quantity. He data loggs every single tune and dials it in exactly where it is suppose to be for your exact car. Bama does offer datalogging but they are more on their tune is perfect already. And I am sure bama will come in and give the same exact spill of how their tunes are fully customized because they use their dyno jet in house dyno. Yes it is custom but not custom to your car.
Shoot Joe a email and he will explain everything about him and bama. He is very smart and knows alot about mustangs. You can get on tricktuners forums and learn all you want and ask any questions you have.

07 Cobalt SS/SC-you know, the slow version...

Sold-96 GT- PI H/C/I, K&N CAI, Built T45 trans with LuK Pro Gold clutch. Dual catless H pipe with stock mufflers. Custom tune via SCT, Hurst short throw shifter.
post #3 of 23 Old August 18th, 2012, 01:55 AM
Happy Man

Any custom tune is going to be better than a tune email'd to you after you tell someone your mods. The upside to getting a tune from Bama is that you can get a tune, mod, get a tune, mod, get a tune, mod, etc etc. Free tunes for life is a huge money saver but if you are pretty done with your mods then you can't go wrong with a real custom tune.

Always Clean Crew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old August 18th, 2012, 02:14 AM
Enthusiast

Trick Tunes have free lifetime retunes included also. As do most

07 Cobalt SS/SC-you know, the slow version...

Sold-96 GT- PI H/C/I, K&N CAI, Built T45 trans with LuK Pro Gold clutch. Dual catless H pipe with stock mufflers. Custom tune via SCT, Hurst short throw shifter.
post #5 of 23 Old August 18th, 2012, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
Shikakaaaa

Thanks for your input. I appreciate it. I like bama and American muscle but I was looking at Joe and trick tuners and it seems there tunes would be a lot more precise. Sure bama might write good tunes for 50 to 70 percent of their customers, but its not written for their exact car. That's why I liked the sound of getting it done with Joe since its all datalogged and written vehicle specific. Do you have a tune from joe yet flex? I see in your sign that u are waiting to order from trick tuners. Have you yet?
post #6 of 23 Old August 18th, 2012, 08:33 AM
US Air Force (retired)

Garage
There are "canned" tunes, "email" tunes and "dyno" tunes. Canned tunes are just that there is no feedback from your engine. They are generic tunes based upon similar parts. Email tunes use feedback. Datalogs are email back to the tuner and adjustments are made for your specific needs and a new tune is emailed back to you. For dyno tunes, the tuner takes possession of your car. He looks at the data and makes changes on the fly. A good tuner will then road test the car making sure that the car responds on the road the same way it responded on the dyno. Often further adjustments are made. He then give the car back to you ready to go.

Which would you rather have?

ProCharger P-1SC, 9 psi, STD 396/383; Uncorrected 388/375; SAE 383/370.
Ret. USAF 1969-1973,1980-1996: Vietnam veteran. Aircraft maintenance. R & D, ICBM Operations.
Also own: 1997 Harley FXDWG, 1998 F-150, and 2002 Corvette LS1
post #7 of 23 Old August 18th, 2012, 08:55 AM
MM Fanatic

Id go with trick tuners over bama. I'm not impressed with my bama tunes.

Sent from my N860 using AutoGuide.Com Free App

2006 Toyota Tacoma.
post #8 of 23 Old August 18th, 2012, 09:46 AM
Premium Member

Garage
Joe from trick tuners tuned my vortech. I could not be more pleased and learned a lot in the process. Reading his forums should be proof enough that he knows what he is doing. As this is a hobby for him don't expect overnight service. Be patient.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

SOLD : 02 Sonic Blue GT - Vortech V3-Si, Treadstone TRV25O, Tial Q, PMAS HPX MAF
SOLD : 14 Ruby Red F150 Ecoboost
15 Mustang GT PP - SCT Tune & Exhaust.
Click Here to see my 02 Vortech V3 Build Thread
post #9 of 23 Old August 18th, 2012, 11:04 AM
MM Fanatic

I am more than happy with Joe, last 6k miles on my tune at my power level

KB'd 446rwhp/451rwtq, Mustang Dyno http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZDpQ0EEm1M
Tuned by Joe at http://www.tricktuners.com
post #10 of 23 Old August 18th, 2012, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
Shikakaaaa

Glad I stumbled upon Joe. Was thinking about going with a Bama tune but now that I've gotten some good input on them, I think ill go with Joe's tunes for sure. I definetly want to get the most for my money and if I spend nearly 400 dollars on something and not pleased with the results I'd be pissed! Thanks again for the suggestions.
post #11 of 23 Old August 20th, 2012, 11:50 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03OxfWhite View Post
Which do you all prefer? Trick or BAMA? And why do you prefer them? Ive heard a ton of good things about BAMA, but ive also heard some bad. Some say theyre tunes are complete shit, and had advanced the timing way way too much. Havent heard much about trick tuners,so id like to find out what they offer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLEX4.6 View Post
Bama blows imo. They come on with this spill of how their tunes are custom because they fit all these parts they have available and dyno them. And im sure you know every car reacts different to mods. They set the tune for safety to cover thir butts and it ends up being too safe. I have also been noticing alot of what they claim to be "typos" in the tune. They are more about selling than personal tuning. Sell as much as they can.

Joe does it as a hobby and takes his time and checks every single detail in the tune, and he is focused soley on quality over quantity. He data loggs every single tune and dials it in exactly where it is suppose to be for your exact car. Bama does offer datalogging but they are more on their tune is perfect already. And I am sure bama will come in and give the same exact spill of how their tunes are fully customized because they use their dyno jet in house dyno. Yes it is custom but not custom to your car.
Shoot Joe a email and he will explain everything about him and bama. He is very smart and knows alot about mustangs. You can get on tricktuners forums and learn all you want and ask any questions you have.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt86 View Post
Id go with trick tuners over bama. I'm not impressed with my bama tunes.
Hey guys,

I'm confident that you'll be very happy with Joe's Tunes, he definitely knows what hes talking about. However so do we, We've been tuning 99-04 Mustangs for 10+ years now and definitely have them figured out. We're Constantly developing our tunes, making tons of Dyno pulls, Street/Track passes ect. We also receive hundreds of datalogs and Dyno graphs a week to help ensure that our tunes are dialed in perfectly. We'll always go the extra mile to make sure our customers are satisfied.

There's always going to be good and bad experiences. I know you'll be very happy with which ever company you decide to go with. Let me know if I need to clear anything up or if you guys have any questions, feel free to ask!

- Dan

Dan Bailer | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266 | M-F 9AM-9PM EST | Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST | Sat 10AM-4PM EST
GET UP TO $200 TOWARDS YOUR NEXT PURCHASE FROM AM!
Free Same-Day Shipping!
post #12 of 23 Old August 20th, 2012, 11:53 AM
Mr. Stangarang

Garage
I used bama tunes before I went boosted and I never had any problems with them, always a good turn around time and as always the customer service is amazing.

USAF E-5
IG @ nj_5oh

Current Vehicles

14' Mustang GT "Alexandria" - Paxton Supercharged
15' GSX-R 600

Sold Vehicles

08' Lancer Evolution X MR
04' Mustang GT - Single Turbo

post #13 of 23 Old November 20th, 2012, 10:28 PM
Enthusiast

I actually.called to check on bama tunes for my mark swap.. they pretty much told me to buy their tuner and didn't know if they could male it work or not

Mark 8 swap
150 shot nitrous express
4.10 gears
post #14 of 23 Old November 20th, 2012, 11:01 PM
MM elder

it basically boils down to your commitment level.

with a bama tune on a typical bolt on car, you tell them your mods, they send you a tune thats pretty close (might be good, might need a tweak or two, but it'll be close), a minor revision or two, your done prety much & it can be done in an afternoon (many, many times I have called for revisions on my old white car & had them sent while I was still on the phone, it's a little diffrent with my new car but simular) for the most part.

with a more custom tuner like Joe (I am in no way bashyng Joe with my comments here, he's a great tuner & has always went out of his way to help me with anything I need on my old white car even when I wasn't tuned by him, I would consider him a class act & an honest friend in the buisness) theres a little more work.

he will sent you a base tune to get you & the car started, then you datalog his requests, he looks over the datalog & sends you a revision. then you datalog that tune & he reviews that log & sends you a revision.

you guys repeat that process untill you agree the tune is spot on but it takes some time.

both are good tunes, they are just diffrent approaches.

hope that helps you understand the diffrence.

MM BRACKET RACING CREW CO-FOUNDER

2012 300a GT A6......10.78 @ 124.........sold

2014 301a GT A6.............12.73 @ 112........d/r only
post #15 of 23 Old November 21st, 2012, 12:36 AM
hi you can call me mater

What? Bama dataloggs? They didn't want to datalog for me when I told them I was going to get cammed so I didn't get cammed, than I found Ortiz Performance wow his tunes beat any tune i've ever had!

03cristian

"I wonder if I sprayed some on my junk, I could go raw dog and not get herpes. But first I'd have to find a female willing to have relations."-kmac1622
post #16 of 23 Old November 21st, 2012, 12:48 AM
MM's V6 Hater

trick tuners.

2013 GT
2016 F150
post #17 of 23 Old November 21st, 2012, 12:49 AM
Regular

Garage
Really happy with Trick Tuners so far. Bama wouldn't even touch my 4V swap.

2002 Laser Red Cobra-powered GT
1985 Black SVO
2010 Black Raptor
post #18 of 23 Old November 21st, 2012, 01:00 AM
Enthusiast

I'm actually wanting to get tuned for the 4v swap

Mark 8 swap
150 shot nitrous express
4.10 gears
post #19 of 23 Old November 21st, 2012, 01:04 AM
Premium Member

I prefer to use a local and reputable tuner and skip the handheld devices. Though, I can see more "On-board" monitoring coming in the near future.
post #20 of 23 Old November 21st, 2012, 01:09 AM
MM Fanatic

Haven't used Bama Tunes, so i can't speak on that but I do have a tune from Joe and am pleased with it.

Tuned by [email protected]

CMS Stage 1 Cams, 4.10 Gears, TrickFlow 70mm TB & Plenum, MAC Prochamber with Pypes M80's, MGW Shifter, Custom Paint, Cobra Cloth Top, Staggered Chrome 18" Saleen's and Sequential Tails.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page