Supercharger belt shredding.. - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 Old January 26th, 2013, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Supercharger belt shredding..

I'm having some belt problems, Not sure if its misalignment or if the tensioner may be causing the problem. The rib closest to the supercharger was completely detached from the rest of the belt.. Should i assume its the tensioner or do i have some pulley misalignment?

Here are some pictures of what Im talking about.

Super charger pulley

Alt pulley

An on this pulley it look like it jumped a rib closer to the block.

And here is the missing rib lol..

If i need to shim, where do you think i should have to put a spacer?? The bottom most hole?

2003 Sonic Blue Cobra. TVS, SRA, LT ect ect ect. 605RWHP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 Old January 26th, 2013, 02:30 PM

Supercharger belt shredding..

Yea it's misalignment. I had the same problem when my Vortech wasn't aligned. Can't tell from those pictures.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
post #3 of 37 Old January 26th, 2013, 02:46 PM
US Air Force (retired)

Garage
+1 I had the same problem for a while. I lost a spacer when changing belts. I shredded three or four before I got it aligned properly. I finally took a metal straight edge and layed it across the altenator pulley extending it to the supercharger pulley. And I experimented with different size washer until I got it aligned. I've also read that there is a pulley alignment tool that you can buy.

ProCharger P-1SC, 9 psi, STD 396/383; Uncorrected 388/375; SAE 383/370.
Ret. USAF 1969-1973,1980-1996: Vietnam veteran. Aircraft maintenance. R & D, ICBM Operations.
Also own: 1997 Harley FXDWG, 1998 F-150, and 2002 Corvette LS1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 Old January 26th, 2013, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle2000GT View Post
+1 I had the same problem for a while. I lost a spacer when changing belts. I shredded three or four before I got it aligned properly. I finally took a metal straight edge and layed it across the altenator pulley extending it to the supercharger pulley. And I experimented with different size washer until I got it aligned. I've also read that there is a pulley alignment tool that you can buy.
Thanks for chiming in. You've helped me a ton so far with other things..

What do you mean by a metal straight edge? A straight flat piece of metal? or is that some kind of tool? lol I dont know what it is

post #5 of 37 Old January 26th, 2013, 03:41 PM
US Air Force (retired)

Garage
It's a straight flat piece of metal. I have a metal ruler that I use. The only requirement is that it be straight and flat.

Ret. USAF 1969-1973,1980-1996: Vietnam veteran. Aircraft maintenance. R & D, ICBM Operations.
post #6 of 37 Old January 26th, 2013, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
It's a straight flat piece of metal. I have a metal ruler that I use. The only requirement is that it be straight and flat.
gotcha, Thanks again

post #7 of 37 Old January 26th, 2013, 04:27 PM

I went to lowes and bought a laser tape measure and used it to align my pulleys and WOW some of them were 1/8 inch off once I dropped the laser across them. In the second picutre it looks like your bracket is too far away from the front of the engine. basically it looks like your bracket needs to go forward towards the motor. I can tell because your belt s riding way to far on the edge of the metal pulley between the alternator and the supercharger it should be riding more towards the center..

Convertible Crew Founder
Proud Iraq and Afghanistan War veteran

700 RWHP Club Member #1

Vortech T Trim @18 PSI
604 RWHP 516 FT LB
[email protected]@ 523RWHP

Precision Turbo 7675 CEA @ 20 PSI
738 RWHP 691 FT LB
10.9 @ 131 MPH
post #8 of 37 Old January 26th, 2013, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSG Pate View Post
I went to lowes and bought a laser tape measure and used it to align my pulleys and WOW some of them were 1/8 inch off once I dropped the laser across them. In the second picutre it looks like your bracket is too far away from the front of the engine. basically it looks like your bracket needs to go forward towards the motor. I can tell because your belt s riding way to far on the edge of the metal pulley between the alternator and the supercharger it should be riding more towards the center..
i see what you are talking about. So if i were to shim the bottom of the bracket, it would push the top end a little closer to the block, hopefully eliminating this problem. Ill go pick up a laser tape just to double check everything.. I'm hoping not to have to do this again anytime soon, these belts arent cheap..haha

Thanks for your help..

post #9 of 37 Old January 26th, 2013, 05:16 PM
procharged gt

Re: Supercharger belt shredding..

Had the same problem with my procharger. Put some washers behind the bracket and solved the problem.

procharger p1sc, p51 intake, 3 core intercooler, 9psi, cobra fuel tank with cobra pumps and bap, sportline springs, tokico blue shock/struts, lunar gauges, hp 292 cams,sct tune by FastlaneMotorsports. 471rwhp 414 tq.
post #10 of 37 Old January 26th, 2013, 05:16 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

bottom end is supposed to have one 60 thousandths shim to replace where the a/c bracket was on the front cover. the whole time my issue was a bad warped tentioner. never had an issue since then.

GT ENGINE (temporary) 4.30 Gears , 31 spline Moser axles , Detroit tru Trac diff, Pi intake Hitech stage 2 cam, Vortech V7-JT Alum drive shaft. Lowering kit x2 ball joints Koni DA, H&R Super race spring LCA "
post #11 of 37 Old January 26th, 2013, 05:47 PM
Enthusiast

I have to run a washer on my bottom bracket bolt to align things. The PO had many many shreaded belts. This fixed it.

D1SC Procharger Forged cammed LTs-SVE Drag Big & Littles-MT DR 275/60/15-D&D T56 Magnum QuickTime steel bell-McLeod RST Twin Disc-4.10 Detroit Locker Moser 31 spline-MM TA PHB-MM Extreme HD LCAs FLSFC-Big Red Race BOV-Bilstiens
post #12 of 37 Old January 26th, 2013, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

are you guys talking about the very very bottom bracket bolt?

post #13 of 37 Old January 26th, 2013, 05:58 PM
RIP Dennis

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ChrisJ Send a message via Skype™ to ChrisJ
As said its bc of alignment...Check idlers as its a common problem there

Speak From Experience Not From What You Have Heard.
Facebook
Google+
2015 Ford Taurus Sho NonPP / Livernois Downpipes / Magnaflow Catback / 3 Bar MAP / 170* Tstat / H&R Lowering Springs / BCB Tuned
2015 Yukon XL Denali
2008 Acura TL Type-S
post #14 of 37 Old January 26th, 2013, 05:59 PM
US Air Force (retired)

Garage
I don't know about Vortech or Novi but a common problem shredding belts with a ProCharger is that it damages the seal causing it to leak. Luckily, that seal is only $10 and not hard to change.

I really wish I had found the solution sooner. Either a bad tensioner or a shredded belt cracked my timing chain cover. It was leaking so I had to have it replaced.

post #15 of 37 Old January 26th, 2013, 06:00 PM
RIP Dennis

Garage
Send a message via AIM to ChrisJ Send a message via Skype™ to ChrisJ
Quote:
I don't know about Vortech or Novi but a common problem shredding belts with a ProCharger is that it damages the seal causing it to leak. Luckily, that seal is only $10 and not hard to change.

I really wish I had found the solution sooner. Either a bad tensioner or a shredded belt cracked my timing chain cover. It was leaking so I had to have it replaced.
Vortechs rarely have that issue but I know its the one flaw of prochargers

Speak From Experience Not From What You Have Heard.
Facebook
Google+
2015 Ford Taurus Sho NonPP / Livernois Downpipes / Magnaflow Catback / 3 Bar MAP / 170* Tstat / H&R Lowering Springs / BCB Tuned
2015 Yukon XL Denali
2008 Acura TL Type-S
post #16 of 37 Old January 26th, 2013, 06:05 PM
Enthusiast

Ya the bottom bolt

D1SC Procharger Forged cammed LTs-SVE Drag Big & Littles-MT DR 275/60/15-D&D T56 Magnum QuickTime steel bell-McLeod RST Twin Disc-4.10 Detroit Locker Moser 31 spline-MM TA PHB-MM Extreme HD LCAs FLSFC-Big Red Race BOV-Bilstiens
post #17 of 37 Old January 26th, 2013, 06:32 PM

I can tell you forget everything the kit tells you to do about shimming, because for some reason everyone seems to require different shims. the stuff they provide is helpful, but a man has to do some laser leveling and measuring in order to make it align without having belt shredding or issues. It is very easy to do and doesnt take more then a few minutes to adjust the shimms. I just ended up using washers instead of the aluminum pieces that came in my kit.

Convertible Crew Founder

700 RWHP Club Member #1

Vortech T Trim @18 PSI
604 RWHP 516 FT LB

738 RWHP 691 FT LB
10.9 @ 131 MPH
post #18 of 37 Old January 26th, 2013, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:

hopefully i didnt cause any problems. Everything still seems to look normal with the exception of the belt missing a rib. It had to happen just the last time i drove it because it wasnt noticeable when i had the hood up a couple days ago.

I appreciate everyones help, ill get some washers to get it shimmed up tomorrow.

+rep to everyone!

**edit** besides pate and eagle.. turns out you guys help me to much and ive repped you before. haha

post #19 of 37 Old January 26th, 2013, 06:41 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

The side ones. the two to the left . it worked perfect as is .

GT ENGINE (temporary) 4.30 Gears , 31 spline Moser axles , Detroit tru Trac diff, Pi intake Hitech stage 2 cam, Vortech V7-JT Alum drive shaft. Lowering kit x2 ball joints Koni DA, H&R Super race spring LCA "
post #20 of 37 Old January 26th, 2013, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJNASTYNATE View Post
hopefully i didnt cause any problems. Everything still seems to look normal with the exception of the belt missing a rib. It had to happen just the last time i drove it because it wasnt noticeable when i had the hood up a couple days ago.

I appreciate everyones help, ill get some washers to get it shimmed up tomorrow.

+rep to everyone!

**edit** besides pate and eagle.. turns out you guys help me to much and ive repped you before. haha
Look on the back of your blower under the supercharger pulley when you get the belt off if you see oil under the pulley then the shaft seal is leaking, but I highly doubt it. The shaft seals on the vortech are easy to replace and the seal can be local purchased.

Convertible Crew Founder

700 RWHP Club Member #1

Vortech T Trim @18 PSI
604 RWHP 516 FT LB

738 RWHP 691 FT LB
10.9 @ 131 MPH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page