99-04 How To: Dash Removal - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old March 4th, 2013, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
ExPeNsIvE HoBbY

99-04 How To: Dash Removal

Don't know if a write up has been done before on this topic so I made one on another thread. Figured this might be sticky worthy.

Ok, TUTORIAL FOR REMOVING DASH... This is assuming you have already removed the surrounding interior pieces(kick panels, center console, shifter bezel, seats)

1. Well for starters, start your car, turn your wheel to the right full steering lock, turn off your car, lock wheel straight, remove key.

2. Pop hood and remove the positive battery terminal from the battery(not the terminal itself, just the wire lead lol)

3. Now that your tires are aimed for a right hand turn, and your battery is disconnected, pull your drivers side inner fender(splash guard) by removing all screws on the outer rim of the fender, and the push pins against the K member behind the wheel. No need to remove it, just loosen it, and pull it forward.

4. Look up toward the rearmost wheel well and you will see a large wiring connector with a 10mm headed bolt in the center. Remove the bolt and pull the connector away from the firewall.

5. There are two push release levers on the harness you just removed the other harness from, push those in, and push the connector thru the firewall.

6. Now behind each kick panel are 3 connectors that tie into a bay of connectors that are affixed to the car with bolt on brackets. Drivers side disconnect all 3, passenger side only disconnect the two leading into the dash(the others tuck up against the body)

7. Right below the glove box are two connectors, remove the one going into the heater box, and the other is the radio antenna. While you are down there disconnect the vacuum lines for the HVAC controls.

8. Back to the driver side, there is a black box to the left of the steering column, disconnect all harnesses leading into it.

9. Under the dash on the drivers side, on the tranny tunnel, is an aluminum box held in place by two green 10mm bolts. Slide the red connector toward the wire side of the connector, and remove from airbag unit.

10. Now that we have most of the connections removed, we can tackle the bolts. There are:

-3 under the defroster panel at the front of the dash(5/16" or 7mm)

-2 on either side of the tranny tunnel directly below radio bezel(5/16" or 7mm)

-1 behind glovebox near passenger side HVAC duct(5/16" or 7mm)

-1 behind drivers side HVAC duct accessible from under dash(5/16" or 7mm)

-1 on the lowest outside portion of passenger side dash behind rubber trim(5/16" or 7mm)

-1 on the lowest outside portion of driver side dash behind rubber trim(15mm)

-1 on the steering column directly below u-joint(10mm)

11. Now that all accessible electrical connections and mounting hardware has been removed/disconnected, we can gently rock the dash rearward to reveal the last connection. It is a cable connector with a large round plastic housing that goes into the heater box almost directly in the middle of the firewall. It has a few clips around the center of it. Gently pry these until the housing comes free and remove.

12. Now get yourself a buddy and continue rocking the dash rearward until it lays almost horizontal, lift, and remove.

If I forgot something let me know, because I wrote this all off of memory.

I have removed my dash no less than 20 times while fitting a cage on weekends and driving it daily on week days.

No joke I get this thing out in no more than 15 minutes, it's that easy.

And please don't listen to anybody that says you have to remove the steering wheel, steering column, airbags, radio, HVAC controls, etc. all of that is entirely unnecessary and may add hours of work for you, plus more connections to forget/mixup, and hardware to loose/misplace.

Hope that helped some of you...

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old March 4th, 2013, 01:42 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

seems to be pretty good. the dash is a pain the but to get out for sure..

Procharger P1sc| 2 core| 353hp/347tq| Mac lt's| lethal x| slp lm1| 75mm tb/plenum| 4.10's| lca| flsfc| h&r's

Oh ya, and female owned and driven!

Sonic Blue Crew
post #3 of 27 Old March 4th, 2013, 01:46 PM
Lexus FTW

Why did you remove the dash? Parting it cause your ex scuffed the bumper?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old March 4th, 2013, 02:00 PM
MM Fanatic

you want to d omine when my heater core goes im not far lol

2017 oxford white GT 5.0
2003 GT stock sold
2006 Spec V sold
1991 chevy s10 4.3L sold
2003 chevy colorado z71 sold
2006 spec v sold
few 71 bugs all sold

post #5 of 27 Old March 4th, 2013, 02:15 PM
Enthusiast

Cool!!! I might dye mine a diff. color. or just replace with a diff. color
post #6 of 27 Old March 4th, 2013, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
ExPeNsIvE HoBbY

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02GTAUTO View Post
Why did you remove the dash? Parting it cause your ex scuffed the bumper?
Lol no, thing has been out tons of times while working on my roll cage.

---------- Post added at 11:51 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:50 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1_nice_03_gt View Post
you want to d omine when my heater core goes im not far lol
Lol swing on bye, I'll help ya out

post #7 of 27 Old March 4th, 2013, 03:05 PM
super serious

How long did it take you to do the first time? If I ever want to fix my heater I'm gonna have to pull the dash apart to get to the heater core.

Vortech V3 Si 8 psi
Trick Flow 75 mm tb/plenum, BBK o/r x-pipe, Magnaflow mufflers, FRPP 4.10 gears
MGW short throw, Tein S. Tech springs, MM C/C plates, Tokico Blues shocks/struts, J&M upper/lower control arms, Nitto NT555
post #8 of 27 Old March 4th, 2013, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
ExPeNsIvE HoBbY

Quote:
Originally Posted by phayze View Post
How long did it take you to do the first time? If I ever want to fix my heater I'm gonna have to pull the dash apart to get to the heater core.
About 2hrs. But that was following other tutorials that included pulling the column and disconnecting a bunch if things that don't need to be disconnected.

post #9 of 27 Old March 4th, 2013, 08:49 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

next time (if/when that happens), take a video plzkthx.
post #10 of 27 Old March 4th, 2013, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
ExPeNsIvE HoBbY

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemon View Post
next time (if/when that happens), take a video plzkthx.
I have pictures but ya I might be able to get my old lady to hold the camera lol. Should only be a 15 min video haha.

post #11 of 27 Old March 4th, 2013, 09:36 PM

I may have to do this to replace my heater core this year.

Convertible Crew Founder
Proud Iraq and Afghanistan War veteran

700 RWHP Club Member #1

Vortech T Trim @18 PSI
604 RWHP 516 FT LB
[email protected]@ 523RWHP

Precision Turbo 7675 CEA @ 20 PSI
738 RWHP 691 FT LB
10.9 @ 131 MPH
post #12 of 27 Old March 4th, 2013, 09:44 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Glad you addressed the bolt and connector behind the driver fender well. Everyone keeps posting a link to a 96-98 heater core removal that doesn't address this hidden connector. Thanks for making a current write up. Wish I had this two weeks ago lol

The only thing that was a pain for me was removing the center council portion around the handbrake. I found it best to remove the driver and passenger seats wich only takes an additional 5 minutes.

post #13 of 27 Old March 4th, 2013, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
ExPeNsIvE HoBbY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooboost283 View Post
Glad you addressed the bolt and connector behind the driver fender well. Everyone keeps posting a link to a 96-98 heater core removal that doesn't address this hidden connector. Thanks for making a current write up. Wish I had this two weeks ago lol

The only thing that was a pain for me was removing the center council portion around the handbrake. I found it best to remove the driver and passenger seats wich only takes an additional 5 minutes.
Thank you for the kind words. Ive found that reaching in and removing the two e-brake lever bolts make pulling the center console much easier as it will move more freely.

As far as the 96-98 write ups, that too was my issue when first attempting this perceived daunting task. Nobody mentioned that little guy, and I had to find out for myself. But I'm pretty sure I've got it all down as fast as it can be now(I had better after 20+ times removing and installing.)

I really hope this helps people out. I researched forever and could not find a single post/thread/write-up that covered every step to removing the dash. So I explored haha.

Anyone have any questions shoot em my way and I'll help how I can.

post #14 of 27 Old March 4th, 2013, 10:20 PM
super serious

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPeNsIvE HoBbY View Post
About 2hrs. But that was following other tutorials that included pulling the column and disconnecting a bunch if things that don't need to be disconnected.

Oh that's not too bad. I totally thought it was gonna be like an eight hour job after reading the how-to for the sn95. I might seriously replace my heater core then.

Vortech V3 Si 8 psi
Trick Flow 75 mm tb/plenum, BBK o/r x-pipe, Magnaflow mufflers, FRPP 4.10 gears
MGW short throw, Tein S. Tech springs, MM C/C plates, Tokico Blues shocks/struts, J&M upper/lower control arms, Nitto NT555
post #15 of 27 Old March 5th, 2013, 12:05 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

When you say daunting, I know that you mean it hahahahahah what a pain in the ass getting it out when your doing it yourself, luckily I had the girlfriend around putting it back in and put her to work lol!!!

In all honesty getting the center council was my biggest issue mainly cause I didn't want to disconnect anything that I wouldn't be able to put back together especially the handbrake assembly lol I'm sure it was easy to unbolt like you stated but knowing my luck I woulda broke something lol ............well actually I did rage a bit and tore the leather around the handbrake completely off.......going to the gym and then working on the car does not mix lol

post #16 of 27 Old March 5th, 2013, 12:37 AM
MM Fanatic

Garage
good stuff, i have a stupid little crack on my dash and may decide to replace it in a year or so if it gets worse
post #17 of 27 Old March 5th, 2013, 02:13 AM Thread Starter
ExPeNsIvE HoBbY

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor123 View Post
good stuff, i have a stupid little crack on my dash and may decide to replace it in a year or so if it gets worse
Oh it will, and you will hope this thread gets sticky'd, and you will look at your new dash and go "wow that wasn't all that hard." Tada.

post #18 of 27 Old March 7th, 2013, 03:25 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Great write-up man! Once some spring weather rolls around hopefully I'll be pulling mine too paint it black. This is definitely sticky worthy!!!

2012 Race Red GT | Flowmaster Outlaws | Resonator Delete | BMR

Instagram @bmilteer94
post #19 of 27 Old March 7th, 2013, 05:16 PM
K1w1

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPeNsIvE HoBbY View Post
...remove the positive battery terminal from the battery(not the terminal itself, just the wire lead lol)
.................................................. .................................................. ..........

Why do I love motorsport??? Because with Football, Soccer and Golf you only need one ball!!!

Basic bolt-ons + 4.10 rear, Eiback springs, J-Mod, SCT SF3 with a TrickTuners tune
post #20 of 27 Old March 7th, 2013, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
ExPeNsIvE HoBbY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abb0 View Post
.................................................. .................................................. ..........
Lol you never know haha. Gotta make sure you don't make someone destroy their car lol

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/96-04/295214-99-04-how-dash-removal.html
Posted By For Type Date
Passenger Floor Wet | Mustang Forums at StangNet This thread Refback August 11th, 2014 10:37 AM