OEM VS BBK CAI - Page 2 - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 46 Old June 7th, 2013, 12:42 AM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Send a message via Yahoo to 00redgt
just get a maf adapter and get a high flow cone filter like spectre or k&n and be done with it

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 46 Old June 7th, 2013, 12:44 AM
Mr. Stangarang

Garage
I never had a problem with my bbk cai getting dirty or heat soaked. Are you off-roading your car or something?

USAF E-5
IG @ nj_5oh

Current Vehicles

14' Mustang GT "Alexandria" - Paxton Supercharged
15' GSX-R 600

Sold Vehicles

08' Lancer Evolution X MR
04' Mustang GT - Single Turbo

post #23 of 46 Old June 7th, 2013, 02:34 AM
_

Moss Muscle is going out of biz and selling Steeda RAI's for almost half. Free shipping: Moss Mustang Store - Parts and Accessories for your Ford Mustang

I have a K&N RAI, and it is a dream. So easy to access, and clean, and the black does it for me. Yes the JLT's are the same, I just don't like their rubber elbows.

Put your CAI up for sale, and order the Steeda, you most likely won't lose but $10. The "sucky" noise under the hood comes from the screen thats most likely removed from your MAF btw.

-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 46 Old June 7th, 2013, 03:17 AM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00redgt View Post
just get a maf adapter and get a high flow cone filter like spectre or k&n and be done with it
Exactly what I have.. K&N non fender well mount setup and like it

"Get in where you fit in, Life is Too Short."
post #25 of 46 Old June 7th, 2013, 05:08 PM
-- Logan --

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02sonicGT View Post
This is when you rub your cliffyk lamp and he comes and explains about standing waves and airflow and how nearly all aftermarket CAI likely are worse than the stock unit.

Based in you issue with cleaning and wanting to reduce sucking noise, go back to stock an pit a different filter in it. You may find stock stuff for sale on here or at a junkyard.
lmao
speaking of him where is he?
post #26 of 46 Old June 8th, 2013, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGS2vGT View Post
lmao
speaking of him where is he?
Who?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

BBK CAI, MAF & SHORTIES, MAC O/R H, FLOWS, STEEDA TRI AX, FRPP 3.73, MM CC PLATES & RLCA's, STEEDA BUMPSTEER & X2's, FRPP B SPRINGS & RUCA's, KONI STR.T DAMPERS, STIFFLERS MATRIX FLSFC's, COBRA STEERING RACK 17X9/10.5 SUMITOMO 275-315
post #27 of 46 Old June 8th, 2013, 12:58 PM
Banned

The metal tube will heat soak like fuck
post #28 of 46 Old June 8th, 2013, 01:09 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher1986 View Post
Yup! It's hot when I touch it. Was wondering how that could possibly help as a cold are intake.

Anyone know a good way of oiling the filter with out over oiling it? I think the kn has a spray to help spread it evenly whereas the bbk is a bottle of blue oil you put in the pleat and set it upright to soak downwards, according to their instructions...

---------- Post added at 11:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:08 AM ----------

Bbk hasn't been impressing me much lately...

BBK CAI, MAF & SHORTIES, MAC O/R H, FLOWS, STEEDA TRI AX, FRPP 3.73, MM CC PLATES & RLCA's, STEEDA BUMPSTEER & X2's, FRPP B SPRINGS & RUCA's, KONI STR.T DAMPERS, STIFFLERS MATRIX FLSFC's, COBRA STEERING RACK 17X9/10.5 SUMITOMO 275-315
post #29 of 46 Old June 8th, 2013, 02:40 PM
Regular

Ive never been impressed with ANY BBK product.

2002 Mustang GT Convertible - MAC | Magnaflow | Accufab | SCT | Raxiom
post #30 of 46 Old June 9th, 2013, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

OEM VS BBK CAI-imageuploadedbyag-free1370818925.534599.jpg
This is what I mean. Even by pulling the plate out, the filter still doesn't fit.
So, FYI to those looking to purchase this setup.
OEM VS BBK CAI-imageuploadedbyag-free1370819047.153891.jpg
OEM VS BBK CAI-imageuploadedbyag-free1370819133.173176.jpg

post #31 of 46 Old June 9th, 2013, 11:39 PM
Slow among the fast

As an out of the box thought, hot air helps with fuel efficiency. So I wonder if a heat soaked tube helps with that. You could always toss an ice bag on it at the track.

I run a FIPK2 and its a pain to stretch it over my 75mm Accufab. A JLT is bigger but the FIPK2 looks like I flows the air smoother. The JLT gets big after the MAF then crunches down to get air into the throttle body.
post #32 of 46 Old June 9th, 2013, 11:41 PM
-- Logan --

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2vert View Post
Ive never been impressed with ANY BBK product.

thats because they are cheap and sell to the mass public who think they know cars.. but really dont.
post #33 of 46 Old June 10th, 2013, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGS2vGT View Post
thats because they are cheap and sell to the mass public who think they know cars.. but really dont.
That would be me! 😁Actually I had racked up enough amazon points to get it for free and it was the only one available at the time. I got impatient.
Question: isn't the point of larger intake, tb and piping to allow more air in? And if so, shouldn't they all be the same size diameter? Or do I want a funnel effect? I mean, if I gotta do it again, may as well do it right.
So if I go back to a oem intake, I should probably put oem plenum and tb back on?
Or if I go aftermarket, make sure the diameters match?

post #34 of 46 Old June 10th, 2013, 03:50 PM
Regular

All this is funny. I've had my BBK CAI for years, and I have to say that I don't believe it has ever slowed me down. Now I am not saying that it is the best CAI on the market, but I honestly don't think I lost power from it. So if I follow the reasoning that some of you have put forth, on my n/a dyno runs maybe I would have broke 300rwhp with the stock intake tube, instead of the 298.4rwhp that I did with the BBK in place. How many of you honestly believe that would have been the result?

Maybe I should do back to back passes with the BBK and Stock set ups and see what the results are.

I think I want a turbo, oops I mean Supercharger!
298/323 on motor with MHS Nitrous Stage 1's
403/490 on a 48 Jet
Tuned by Unleashed Tuning
post #35 of 46 Old June 10th, 2013, 04:05 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Punisher1986 View Post
The air moving through the metallic pipe will not be in contact with it long enough to cause any heat soak issues. Once air begins to flow it will in effect cool the pipe.

Once the vehicle is in motion the under hood temps drop dramatically.

Drive the car then pull over pop the hood and feel the pipe. You tell me if heat soak is a problem.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

SOLD : 02 Sonic Blue GT - Vortech V3-Si, Treadstone TRV25O, Tial Q, PMAS HPX MAF
SOLD : 14 Ruby Red F150 Ecoboost
15 Mustang GT PP - SCT Tune & Exhaust.
Click Here to see my 02 Vortech V3 Build Thread
post #36 of 46 Old June 10th, 2013, 04:18 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redGT View Post
All this is funny. I've had my BBK CAI for years, and I have to say that I don't believe it has ever slowed me down. Now I am not saying that it is the best CAI on the market, but I honestly don't think I lost power from it. So if I follow the reasoning that some of you have put forth, on my n/a dyno runs maybe I would have broke 300rwhp with the stock intake tube, instead of the 298.4rwhp that I did with the BBK in place. How many of you honestly believe that would have been the result?

Maybe I should do back to back passes with the BBK and Stock set up and see what the results are.
Quote:
The air moving through the metallic pipe will not be in contact with it long enough to cause any heat soak issues. Once air begins to flow it will in effect cool the pipe.

Once the vehicle is in motion the under hood temps drop dramatically.

Drive the car then pull over pop the hood and feel the pipe. You tell me if heat soak is a problem.

These boys know what they are talking about. The flow rate while under open throttle and in motion will not allow air to stagnate long enough to absorb enough heat energy to make any noticeable difference.

00 GT, 4v and Heaton Swap, T56 Mag Build thread: https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...aton-swap.html

post #37 of 46 Old June 10th, 2013, 09:53 PM
-- Logan --

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redGT View Post

Maybe I should do back to back passes with the BBK and Stock set ups and see what the results are.
There really shouldnt be giant difference between an after market CAI and the stock with a drop in filter unless you're going to try and push bast 400-500hp...

and even if you would have hit just over 300 with the stock, who really cares... again its not really noticeable. My only problem is the "idea" of BBK that still advertises 15-20hp gain, when really 99% of that is in the tune they forget to mention. They are made with less quality than other aftermarket and OEM products. Plus the previous generations looked terrible so there was litterally no benefit, where as the new black ones aren't bad and looks similar to the K&N
post #38 of 46 Old June 10th, 2013, 10:28 PM
Regular

Has anyone ever strapped a mustang on a dyno or even conducted a more accurate test and ran it down the track and proven for fact that a bbk cai did not add power? Please tell me where this theory of cold air intakes having no benefit or actually causing power loss originated? It had to start somewhere.

I just want to say I don't agree with false advertising either.

I think I want a turbo, oops I mean Supercharger!
298/323 on motor with MHS Nitrous Stage 1's
403/490 on a 48 Jet
Tuned by Unleashed Tuning
post #39 of 46 Old June 10th, 2013, 11:08 PM
Premium Member

Garage
This test was not on a mustang but a good read anyhow

http://www.tricktuners.com/forums/showthread.php?t=226

SOLD : 02 Sonic Blue GT - Vortech V3-Si, Treadstone TRV25O, Tial Q, PMAS HPX MAF
SOLD : 14 Ruby Red F150 Ecoboost
15 Mustang GT PP - SCT Tune & Exhaust.
Click Here to see my 02 Vortech V3 Build Thread
post #40 of 46 Old June 11th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Another slow GT

Garage
Quote:
This test was not on a mustang but a good read anyhow

Jeep Wrangler 18 dyno pulls for CAI testing - Trick Tuners Forums

Very interesting indeed. Reps for the interesting post.

Full Twisty's Build In Progress.

View my lack of mods here: https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...=view&id=55228
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page