Forums at Modded Mustangs

Forums at Modded Mustangs (https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/)
-   96 - 04 (https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/96-04/)
-   -   Coolant change/ flush (https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/96-04/308145-coolant-change-flush.html)

guitarpro1992 July 18th, 2013 10:34 AM

Coolant change/ flush

So the last thing on my list to do Maintanence wise to my 03 is to change and flush the coolant. The car only has 40k miles but I'm not sure if the coolant is original. It could possibly be 10 years old. There are no heating or Cooling issues at all but I figure it is probably a good time to change it. From what I have read I need to remove the drain plug on the passenger side. Then I fill the reservoir with hose water and let it run for a but until only clean water comes out? Any tips to this or things to add? This is my first time Changing coolant. Also is prestone 50/50 all makes and models alright to use for coolant? Seems easy to use since its premixed

T-Lee. 30 July 18th, 2013 10:52 AM

MG2V July 18th, 2013 11:22 AM

^ Yup.

1. Pull plug on lower passenger side of radiator and completely drain old coolant.

2. Take garden hose and fill expansion tank with water. Keep hose running just enough to keep reservoir filled. This can be tricky because you have to have the water running enough to keep the reservoir full, but not too much to overflow with water.

3. Start car and let run for 5-10 minutes or until clear water starts coming out.

4. Shut off car and let water completely drain out. The expansion tank should be empty now, but there's still hard water in the lines. So grab a couple gallons of distilled water, start the car again, and pour in water with car running. This will flush the nasty hard water from the hose with distilled water.

5. Shut car off and let water completely drain. Put plug back in.

6. Take pure antifreeze and pour in 7 QTS. This should put the level up to the fill line. Since the capacity of the system is 14.1 QTS, 7 QTS would give you a perfect 50/50 mix.

7. Drive the car for a day or two. The level should be down when you go check because air trapped in the lines is working its way out. Burp the system by squeezing the crossover line (big fat one in front of engine) with the cap on expansion tank removed. There should be a good amount of air expelled. Fill with distilled water as necessary and repeat as needed until the fluid level stays constant.

I used Motorcraft Premium Gold antifreeze when I flushed my car because it's a GL-5 HOAT antifreeze that works with aluminum heads.

Abb0 July 18th, 2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MG2V (Post 5438438)
1. Pull plug on lower passenger side of heater core

The heater core???? Isn't that inside the car? Do you mean the radiator?

01TB03AB July 18th, 2013 03:28 PM

I drained my coolant, filled with hose water, capped it & ran it for a minute or two, then drained it. I did that 7 times before the water came out clear. mine was bad.

Abb0 July 20th, 2013 08:24 PM

Where do you get distilled water from?

condor123 July 20th, 2013 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abb0 (Post 5442079)
Where do you get distilled water from?

walmart or any food store