Strange lack of power in my perfect tuned, blown, car. - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old October 11th, 2013, 01:50 AM Thread Starter
MM Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to mustangmanic
Strange lack of power in my perfect tuned, blown, car.

Hello all, its been about 2-3 years since I've been on here. So I'd like to reintroduce myself lol. Use to have a Full Bolt on 02 GT... now have a blown 01 bullitt.
So for the past few months, the mustang has been acting a little funny. But before I get into that I'll tell you what all is done.
Vortech v2sq, AFM power pipe, Tread Stone 3 core intercooler, 3" piping, 42lb injectors, pro-m mass air, 2004 cobra tank and pump, bullitt intake, and big mother fuckin TB (forget what size but its ridiculous), catted x, and mac dumps.
Its tuned by DGR Performance on the East coast, by Dave Guy, very very safe 400/391, with what looks like 12:1 afr throughout the entire band. I'll attach a dyno sheet in a separate post.
Honestly, I plan on keeping it like this. Its very drivable, and it has a fully build road racing suspension, drivetrain, and its gutted, so its damn fast enough for what I do. (93 Octane btw)

Anyways, to the issue. I only drive this car once every two weeks, if that, but I've noticed.... at times its quite sluggish, almost as if there is lack of combustion going on.
At first I could have sworn that it was rpm related (like i thought it just happened in the lower rpms), but now I've realized it is throttle related. The less throttle I give it the more sluggish it is. I know those two go hand in hand... less gas = slower... but when i punch it, it takes the eff off, but when I'm just getting up to speed steadily, at a crusing level throttle, i can feel and even hear that its not getting full power. Its not horrible, but its a grave concern of mine.
I don't want it to be confused that its bogging or jumpy/rough... its just simply...sluggish/weak.

a month ago I changed the plugs, could have sworn it was spark... it wasn't. I have yet to change the fuel filter or check the pump yet, cuz i haven't had time, and everyone is swearing its not that... it would be much more evident in the higher rpms or with more throttle if that was the case... right?.. and being that it performs perfectly up top and with more gas, this is leaving me stumpped.
Could it be the maf? could it use a quick spray off with break cleaner? any suggestions?

Also noted, I have a fuel pressure gauge. Now I never really paid attention to what it was at during normal cruising, but right now (with this issue) under normal acceleration, its at about 36-38psi. Is that about right for stock lines and rails?

Tomorrow, I'm going to start by recharging the air filter, and spraying down the maf. Then if that doesn't fix it, I'll look into the coil packs, then to the fuel. It just honestly doesn't seem like fuel, but I guess we'll see. Any input would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old October 11th, 2013, 03:26 AM
Enthusiast

I would change the fuel filter out for damn sure before I dug into it to far. I change mine every spring. Oh and I hate doing it. Gas all over.
And don't use brake cleaner on that maf. They make a special cleaner for it that won't harm the electrical. A dirty maf sure can make it run like crap. Your fuel pressure sounds fine. What is it at WOT?
Good luck.

D1SC Procharger Forged cammed LTs-SVE Drag Big & Littles-MT DR 275/60/15-D&D T56 Magnum QuickTime steel bell-McLeod RST Twin Disc-4.10 Detroit Locker Moser 31 spline-MM TA PHB-MM Extreme HD LCAs FLSFC-Big Red Race BOV-Bilstiens
post #3 of 22 Old October 11th, 2013, 07:36 AM
Premium Member

Garage
If you have the ability to datalog it will help to narrow things down.

12.1 is a but lean for a blown car.

Do you hear any detonation/pinging?

Do you have a wideband? What is it doing at part throttle?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

SOLD : 02 Sonic Blue GT - Vortech V3-Si, Treadstone TRV25O, Tial Q, PMAS HPX MAF
SOLD : 14 Ruby Red F150 Ecoboost
15 Mustang GT PP - SCT Tune & Exhaust.
Click Here to see my 02 Vortech V3 Build Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old October 11th, 2013, 07:58 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

12.1 isn't lean, it's a little rich. From my understanding, 14-14.5 is optimal

96 GT turbocharged - SOLD
97 Cobra vert stock -SOLD
post #5 of 22 Old October 11th, 2013, 08:43 AM
2v FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandraxal View Post
12.1 isn't lean, it's a little rich. From my understanding, 14-14.5 is optimal
That's optimal for cruising. 12:1 is lean for a blower car at WOT.

OP, what makes you think the tune is perfect?

2004 Comp Orange GT
655whp/541wtq

My Build Thread

My YouTube channel
post #6 of 22 Old October 11th, 2013, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
MM Fanatic

I will def start with the fuel filter today.
I couldn't tell you what its at at WOT, unfortunately my eyes are all ahead at that point, being completely gutted, with only 400rw, it gets a little nuts. I'll have my buddy rift along today and check it. What should it be at?

I do not have a way to data log. Its chip tuned and I don't have software. The info is all at the original tuners location... 800miles away haha.

It doesn't ping at all and it doesn't detonate. Although over the mini race valve and dumps its hard to even best myself think, bit its def not detonating.

Reason I know its not the tune... I've driven it a year 100% fine up until a few months ago.

---------- Post added at 12:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 PM ----------

Also, when I changed my plugs a month ago, they were fine. Normal wear.

post #7 of 22 Old October 11th, 2013, 09:51 AM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Yeah, my tuner yesterday said 10-11 would be good for wot pulls and to get out of it if i see it going to 12. 15-16 for idle and cruising.

"Happiness is being blown and stroked at the same time"
V6 => Teksid 302 stroker
Caitlyn Jenner swapped
My Build Thread click link
https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...shs-build.html
post #8 of 22 Old October 11th, 2013, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
MM Fanatic

So this is bad then? It was tuned by a very reputable mod motor tuner, and its been like this for 4 years.... and like i said, Just a few months ago I've ran into this little cruising throttle issue.

I'm going to change the filter today, and spray the maf with maf cleaner, clean the IAC, and throttle body, as well as clean the Air filter. If that doesn't work then I plan on testing the COP's. If its none of those, then I'll be calling my local Indy car club guy and arranging for another dyno day for Kurgan in the foreseeable future.

post #9 of 22 Old October 11th, 2013, 02:46 PM
MM Fanatic

Hey man welcome back, I want to see some pictures of your bullitt!

http://jmbphoto.zenfolio.com/

2011 GT - Tune by Alternative Auto
post #10 of 22 Old October 11th, 2013, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
MM Fanatic

For sure! And thank you. I'll post some up in a separate thread when I get home.

post #11 of 22 Old October 11th, 2013, 03:48 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

12.0:1 is getting on the lean side, but you should still be fine as long as it doesn't go above that at WOT. I'm tuned to 11.7/11.8. That afr or lower is considered safe. I'm betting its a tune issue. Maybe needs a little load added in the lower rpms. People say tunes don't change but a sometimes adjustments need to be made. It could be weather related.

2004 DSG Mustang Mach 1 4r75w - 508/436 on E85. 460/396 on 93. Intercooled Vortech V1 S trim, Circle D 4c converter, BCA valve body, VRS o/r x pipe. 11.37 @ 120.8 mph 1.63 60'
post #12 of 22 Old October 11th, 2013, 04:08 PM Thread Starter
MM Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownstang View Post
12.0:1 is getting on the lean side, but you should still be fine as long as it doesn't go above that at WOT. I'm tuned to 11.7/11.8. That afr or lower is considered safe. I'm betting its a tune issue. Maybe needs a little load added in the lower rpms. People say tunes don't change but a sometimes adjustments need to be made. It could be weather related.
I think you're 100% dead on here.
I did absolutely everything today... cleaned Maf, IAC, TB, IAT, even the damn TPS, check the COPs, checked plugs again, and changed fuel filter. Still poopy down low.

So now its tune time. Who the hell tunes in IN?
Also, how much HP will a cobra pump support?

post #13 of 22 Old October 11th, 2013, 05:56 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangmanic View Post
I will def start with the fuel filter today.
I couldn't tell you what its at at WOT, unfortunately my eyes are all ahead at that point, being completely gutted, with only 400rw, it gets a little nuts. I'll have my buddy rift along today and check it. What should it be at?

I do not have a way to data log. Its chip tuned and I don't have software. The info is all at the original tuners location... 800miles away haha.

It doesn't ping at all and it doesn't detonate. Although over the mini race valve and dumps its hard to even best myself think, bit its def not detonating.

Reason I know its not the tune... I've driven it a year 100% fine up until a few months ago.

---------- Post added at 12:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 PM ----------

Also, when I changed my plugs a month ago, they were fine. Normal wear.
Just because the tune was fine in the past does not imply it can be off now. the tune is based on the parameters from all the sensors. If something is on its way out (o2 sensor, maf, frps, etc) then the tuning will likely not be able to support.....not that the tune is the root cause, but by datalogging the variables can help narrow it down.

I assumed when you said 12.0 it was at WOT. If that is while cruising it is a different story. at part throttle it should be bouncing back and forth around 14.7

SOLD : 02 Sonic Blue GT - Vortech V3-Si, Treadstone TRV25O, Tial Q, PMAS HPX MAF
SOLD : 14 Ruby Red F150 Ecoboost
15 Mustang GT PP - SCT Tune & Exhaust.
Click Here to see my 02 Vortech V3 Build Thread
post #14 of 22 Old October 11th, 2013, 07:04 PM
Regular

There are a few good shops sorta in your area. AFM (Clinton, IL), Brenspeed (Pierceton,IN), Davad Motorsports (st. Joe, IN) all about 2.5hrs away. Paul's Automotive Engineering (Cincinatti, OH) about 1.75hrs. Heard good from here & other forums with AFM being a tad more conservative which might suit you.
post #15 of 22 Old October 11th, 2013, 08:50 PM Thread Starter
MM Fanatic

Found one. Blue oval performance. My buddies all go to him apparently.

BTW breenspeed can suck it. They refused to even talk to me because they didn't build my car with their parts. So to hell with those POS'

post #16 of 22 Old October 11th, 2013, 09:42 PM
Regular

Cool was just giving you some options. Don't blame you there if they're being like that!
post #17 of 22 Old October 11th, 2013, 10:14 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustangmanic View Post
I think you're 100% dead on here.
I did absolutely everything today... cleaned Maf, IAC, TB, IAT, even the damn TPS, check the COPs, checked plugs again, and changed fuel filter. Still poopy down low.

So now its tune time. Who the hell tunes in IN?
Also, how much HP will a cobra pump support?
Your cobra fuel system will support more power than your motor will unless your all forged

Built, Forged, 5litre, Turbo cams, Turbo comming soon!
post #18 of 22 Old October 11th, 2013, 10:26 PM
MM Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to hardhitter
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02TrickFlowGT View Post
Your cobra fuel system will support more power than your motor will unless your all forged
It wouldn't support my power. I had to switch to dual cobra pumps with BAP and stage 1 FPDM with wiring upgrade.

Vortech V2 Si

post #19 of 22 Old October 11th, 2013, 10:32 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

My mistake I figured since he had a whole cobra tank he was running duel pumps already

Built, Forged, 5litre, Turbo cams, Turbo comming soon!
post #20 of 22 Old October 11th, 2013, 10:49 PM
MM Fanatic

Send a message via AIM to hardhitter
Oh maybe he does then.. I missed the cobra tank part.

Vortech V2 Si

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page