Forums at Modded Mustangs

Forums at Modded Mustangs (https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/)
-   96 - 04 (https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/96-04/)
-   -   Rear mount turbo???? (https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/96-04/334786-rear-mount-turbo.html)

SecludedGT October 12th, 2013 04:59 PM

Rear mount turbo????

Im wondering if anyone has done a new edge with rear mount turbos. Maybe a fuel cel inthe trunk and mount one or 2 where the tank is. I know theres a lag but i did a google search and only found a couple newer mustangs with this set up.

Reasons you say?
Dont need a tubular k member. Save 500-750$
Dont need turbo manifolds save more money
Easier to install without having to tear the front end off
Exhaust shop does most of the piping.

Maybe even a twin setup? 2 smaller turbos for faster spooling?
I think they would fit nice where the tank is. Or maybe even build a 10gal tank and put it in between the turbos.

Im seriously wanting to go turbo this year. Im looking at having 4k by the end of feb or march. And the on3 kits ive been reading about look good. Seems to perform well given you upgrade a few small things. Im not shooting for alot. Just a relaible dd street car. I dont want to turn it way up. Maybe 6-8lbs. A decent 11 second car at a decent price. I dont want to go with the cheapest or the best. Either way, pros an cons of rear mount set up and if anyone knows of anyone doing it to a new edge maybe got pics or a link let me know.

ktm300hater October 12th, 2013 07:44 PM

And you have to pump oil to the rear of your car, and then figure how to get it back to the front.

gravik October 12th, 2013 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SecludedGT (Post 6023826)
Im wondering if anyone has done a new edge with rear mount turbos. Maybe a fuel cel inthe trunk and mount one or 2 where the tank is. I know theres a lag but i did a google search and only found a couple newer mustangs with this set up.

Reasons you say?
Dont need a tubular k member. Save 500-750$
Dont need turbo manifolds save more money
Easier to install without having to tear the front end off
Exhaust shop does most of the piping.

Maybe even a twin setup? 2 smaller turbos for faster spooling?
I think they would fit nice where the tank is. Or maybe even build a 10gal tank and put it in between the turbos.

Im seriously wanting to go turbo this year. Im looking at having 4k by the end of feb or march. And the on3 kits ive been reading about look good. Seems to perform well given you upgrade a few small things. Im not shooting for alot. Just a relaible dd street car. I dont want to turn it way up. Maybe 6-8lbs. A decent 11 second car at a decent price. I dont want to go with the cheapest or the best. Either way, pros an cons of rear mount set up and if anyone knows of anyone doing it to a new edge maybe got pics or a link let me know.

A 2nd gen On3 kit sounds perfect for what you want.

Scott2001GT October 12th, 2013 08:20 PM

You'll need to have heat shields where the gas tank use to be. Oil pumps to return the oil to the motor, and twins wouldn't be the easiest to route the pipes back up front. You'll also need air filter covers to protect them from water and debri.

4k will go very very fast in any boosted setup spec'd for bigger power

DeathBringer October 12th, 2013 08:26 PM

Any car I have seen with a rear mounted turbo (the few that there are around here) has a beat to hell charge pipe that runs to the front of the car. So a DD setup would be a nightmare. Most piping used is aluminum but that isn't ideal for abuse. You could run it thru the cabin if its a race car though. But then there is the lag issue. Twins would help that but I sure would like mine mounted up front.

BuiltToughCobra October 12th, 2013 08:35 PM

Never even thought about that... It's a neat idea... But with the issues stated above I'm not sure if I would jump on it...

WickedSnake00 October 12th, 2013 08:37 PM

Doug Van Den Brink is running a setup like that in his car, so it can be done. Of course it's also a Formula D car.

You're going to need to do a ton of work in fabricating and routing to get it setup. That's a lot of added weight and complexity. Your turbo is vulnerable to road debris.

The bigger problem is the oiling. You need a scavenging pump and to pray like hell it never fails.

It's possible, but not a very good idea.

SecludedGT October 12th, 2013 09:17 PM

Well you guys cleared it up nice for me. Ill definately be going gen 2 on3 then. It was a thought though. I dont plan on running high power. I may buy the k member kit next weekend and then have the heads worked. I dont want to push alot of boost but i would like the heads to be done where i can at least turn up some rpm. From my research the springs are the weak link mainly. When i get ready to buy the kit ill have lots of questions. I have not found a way to even contact them yet. No contact not even email info on their site.

Scott2001GT October 12th, 2013 09:59 PM

leave the heads stock.

SSG Pate October 12th, 2013 10:13 PM

For stock short block power levels there is no need to even touch the heads or cams unless your wanting some aesthetically pleasing noise to the ear.

SecludedGT October 12th, 2013 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott2001GT (Post 6025929)
leave the heads stock.

Not even springs or cams? I have to ask for the reasoning. Lol id rather learn from asking vs a mistake

---------- Post added at 09:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSG Pate (Post 6026017)
For stock short block power levels there is no need to even touch the heads or cams unless your wanting some aesthetically pleasing noise to the ear.

Well i sure do like a nice lope lol. But I wouldnt want to spend alot for some sound. Plus i dont like half assing shit. So i dont think id just put cams only. Like stated i just want a decent 11 second dd.

SSG Pate October 12th, 2013 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SecludedGT (Post 6026041)
Not even springs or cams? I have to ask for the reasoning. Lol id rather learn from asking vs a mistake

---------- Post added at 09:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:14 PM ----------

Well i sure do like a nice lope lol. But I wouldnt want to spend alot for some sound. Plus i dont like half assing shit. So i dont think id just put cams only. Like stated i just want a decent 11 second dd.

stock springs are more then capable of revving past the stock motors limits. The factory cam design is almost perfect for a turbo setup. Ive seen some turbo mustangs with stock heads and cams making over 600RWHP

SecludedGT October 12th, 2013 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSG Pate (Post 6026113)
stock springs are more then capable of revving past the stock motors limits. The factory cam design is almost perfect for a turbo setup. Ive seen some turbo mustangs with stock heads and cams making over 600RWHP

What are the limits on revving stock motors. From my research its like 6300

Scott2001GT October 12th, 2013 10:51 PM

Yup leave them bone stock.