Rear end question - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 Old October 13th, 2013, 01:49 PM Thread Starter

Rear end question

Ok so im looking for a quick answer if anyone can help. My rear end on my 00 gt whines when the engine is under load and by load i mean even if i only tap on the gas pedal. It does this in every gear and just get louder with speed. Also my rear tired are getting worn from the inside faster than the outside. After researching im under the impression that all my bearings are gone and most probably need a rebuild. Ok so now to my question. A local guy is selling a 98 gt rear end for 100 bucks with 373 s in it. After researching that i found out that they are shorter than the new edge and it would make my car look weird. Could i just tranfer everything exept the axels from that differencial to mine since they are both 8.8? I would get a shop to do it and get new bearings on the way. What do you all think sould i pass or should i just install that in the mean while?
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old October 13th, 2013, 02:17 PM
Regular

I would just look for a rear end out of a 99-04 to swap in or have the current one rebuilt. The 98 rear end would work if you swapped your current axles over to the 98 rear end if I'm not mistaken. Of course without pulling the rear end apart you don't know what kind of condition your axles are in right now either.
post #3 of 18 Old October 13th, 2013, 02:50 PM Thread Starter

So the axels could just be put in? How hard would that be? Cause the whole rebuiling mine would be way more costly, of course it would give me peace of mind but im in my last year of college and im just trying to live this year out. Maybe in the future i can do the expensive stuff to her.

---------- Post added at 01:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:28 PM ----------

Can anyone else confirm if just switching axels will work ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old October 13th, 2013, 04:23 PM
Regular

I'm not totally sure it would be just the axles since you might have to swap some brake brackets. But to swap the axles you have to remove the brakes and open the differential, remove the pin in the center of the diff and then pull the c-clips to get the axles to slide out. Of course depending on how much play there is you could have some serious scoring on the axles that would make them unusable or require machining to fix them.
post #5 of 18 Old October 13th, 2013, 04:27 PM
Boss 302

If it is only under load it'd have to be the bearings I'd think. The noise being made when the strain of climbing the gears happens.

Without tearing the rear end open you can check the pinion bearing. If you go under the car and push on the pinion flange does it move up and down? If it does it is shot.

To check the carrier bearings if you have someone drive behind you does the back end track back and forth?

Even if it does neither could still be bad, but that would be signs of definite failure.

As for the axles, as stated they could be damaged you wouldn't know until you remove the C clips in the diff and brakes and pill the axles out.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Go big or go home

post #6 of 18 Old October 13th, 2013, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Thanks reply guys, nosympathy my rear does back track. The reason im thinking of just getting another rear is because of this, it sounds horrible and i would most probably need axles since i bought the car with this noise 10k miles ago. What im thinking is getting this 98 rear and if my axles are bad just upgrading to a higher spline axle. This would cost me less than rebuilding mine and i could do it outside the car, since this is my daily. I just want to make sure if it would consiste of putting new edge axles in or what else would i have to change?

---------- Post added at 03:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:38 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by fox_body_stang View Post
I'm not totally sure it would be just the axles since you might have to swap some brake brackets. But to swap the axles you have to remove the brakes and open the differential, remove the pin in the center of the diff and then pull the c-clips to get the axles to slide out. Of course depending on how much play there is you could have some serious scoring on the axles that would make them unusable or require machining to fix them.
So if i use my brakes and my axles it'll work or new axles if mine are bad ? Cause that would cost way less than rebuilding mine plus i wouldnt need to pay for a gear install sknce this rear comes with 373s
post #7 of 18 Old October 13th, 2013, 05:00 PM
Boss 302

Yeah you tore your carrier bearings up then. As for swapping the rears I am not sure myself as I don't know the older body styles that well. Just know how the 8.8" works.

Go big or go home

post #8 of 18 Old October 13th, 2013, 05:05 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy View Post
Yeah you tore your carrier bearings up then. As for swapping the rears I am not sure myself as I don't know the older body styles that well. Just know how the 8.8" works.

I figured , my rear is probably to badly damged and it would cost a small fortune to get everything new and put in new gears on the way. Thanks for the input reps
post #9 of 18 Old October 13th, 2013, 05:17 PM
Boss 302

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGVSilverStang View Post
I figured , my rear is probably to badly damged and it would cost a small fortune to get everything new and put in new gears on the way. Thanks for the input reps
Yeah, I am guessing in the ball park of 7-800 if you count all parts and install, resetting everything up.

I went through the same debate for my car. Spent $850 fixing my rear after I blew the carrier bearings. $1100 would have gotten me an SVT painted rear with a better trac loc.

Glad I could help, even if it wasn't the info you wanted to hear lol.

Go big or go home

post #10 of 18 Old October 13th, 2013, 06:35 PM
Regular

Yes the 8.8 rear ends for the mustangs are pretty much all the same. The only really difference is the axle lengths that cause them to be narrower or wider than another. From a fox if you add 94-98 axles your track is .75" wider on each side. If you bump up to 99-04 it goes to 1.5" if I remember correctly.
post #11 of 18 Old October 13th, 2013, 06:40 PM Thread Starter

Thanks fox_body just what i needed to know, reps to you

post #12 of 18 Old October 13th, 2013, 08:39 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

The axle tube housing is longer along with the axles on the new edge cars. You can't just put new edge axles in a 98 housing. I did a complete rear end rebuild cuz mine was whining and I thought it was the gears. Turns out my outer axle bearings were grinding into the axles and pitting the axles.
Also you can't upgrade to 31 spline axles unless you change the. Carrier t loc to a 31 spline as well.

Comp Orange 04 Cobra
Azure Blue 03 Mach 1
True Blue 01 Bullitt S/C
Torch Red 04 Mach 1 ,
Torch Red 03 Cobra 10th Anniversary
post #13 of 18 Old October 13th, 2013, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Ok so what about changing from the 98 into the new edge housing?

post #14 of 18 Old October 13th, 2013, 08:49 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

The 98 will be too short. Not to mention the abs reluctor rings will hit the new edge housing. I have seen stock new edge axles for sale from people who swap them out. Heck I have another set of stock new edge axles with only 88k on them in my garage. Pm me if you want them and maybe we can work out a deal. Only prob is shipping may be expensive. I'm in southern utah

Comp Orange 04 Cobra
Azure Blue 03 Mach 1
True Blue 01 Bullitt S/C
Torch Red 04 Mach 1 ,
post #15 of 18 Old October 13th, 2013, 08:51 PM
Regular

Yeah wasn't sure about the housing length comparison.
post #16 of 18 Old October 13th, 2013, 09:12 PM Thread Starter

Ok so what about changing from the 98 into the new edge housing?

---------- Post added at 08:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:09 PM ----------

Yea the shipping will probably more expensive than what i was gonna pay for the one on craigslist. This sucks, well thanks for clearing that up, ill wait for another to come by
post #17 of 18 Old October 13th, 2013, 09:15 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

No prob.

Comp Orange 04 Cobra
Azure Blue 03 Mach 1
True Blue 01 Bullitt S/C
Torch Red 04 Mach 1 ,
post #18 of 18 Old October 14th, 2013, 12:06 PM
Enthusiast

Cheapest is junkyard. Stick with new edge third members if you can.
Expect around a grand to have it rebuilt by a pro.
Unless you have a press/carrier bearing puller/gear seperator/in lb and ft lb torque wrench/dial indicator/setup pinion bearing/housing expander OR carrier shim driver, impact/air tank, pinion holding tool, 3 jaw puller,chisels, axle bearing puller or long piece of pipe and hammer, and other misc I wouldn't attempt unless you really wanna learn.
FYI if you can try to avoid crush sleeves and just use solid shims.
There is a good book on 8.8 ford rebuild you can get on amazon.

|4.10's|CMS Stage I cams|70 tb/plenum|HedMan Long tubes|SLP Power Flow cat back| BrenSpeed 93 octane tune|SFI U/D's| Team Z k-member/ctrl arms| coilovers|strange adjustable shocks|Mild Weight Redux|4200 Circle D Stall Converter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page