The Turbo Build Has Begun - Page 242 - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 117Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #4821 of 5059 Old August 26th, 2017, 06:13 PM
Enthusiast

Man all these high HP build threads are depressing me, things constantly break. Making a lot of power is expensive, I've given up all ambition of making my 2V any faster than 400HP. I've spent the majority of my money after the blower on suspension parts. 400 HP is more than enough to rip up some corners at SCCA events and HPDE. I applaud you for giving it this much though a lot of knowledge in this thread. If my motor ever does go I will more than likely just throw in a junkyard replacement and keep going rather than build the shortblock.

Carolina Crew #49

| Vortech V3 intercooled | 385 rwhp 379 rwtq|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4822 of 5059 Old August 26th, 2017, 08:59 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstang909 View Post
Man all these high HP build threads are depressing me, things constantly break. Making a lot of power is expensive, I've given up all ambition of making my 2V any faster than 400HP. I've spent the majority of my money after the blower on suspension parts. 400 HP is more than enough to rip up some corners at SCCA events and HPDE. I applaud you for giving it this much though a lot of knowledge in this thread. If my motor ever does go I will more than likely just throw in a junkyard replacement and keep going rather than build the shortblock.
Its part of the game, but as you can see most of these issues are very similar and mostly parts lacking in quality or honesty.

Convertible Crew Founder
Proud Iraq and Afghanistan War veteran

700 RWHP Club Member #1

Vortech T Trim @18 PSI
604 RWHP 516 FT LB
[email protected]@ 523RWHP

Precision Turbo 7675 CEA @ 20 PSI
738 RWHP 691 FT LB
10.9 @ 131 MPH
post #4823 of 5059 Old August 27th, 2017, 01:46 AM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Quote:

I haven't broken in a while.....dont wish that on me ricky bobby
SSG Pate and jstang909 like this.

"Happiness is being blown and stroked at the same time"
V6 => Teksid 302 stroker
Caitlyn Jenner swapped
My Build Thread click link
https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...shs-build.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4824 of 5059 Old August 27th, 2017, 05:53 AM
Rent Asunder!

If you build it once and leave it alone, your chances of breakage are dramatically reduced.
jstang909 likes this.

1993 Camaro bracket car
2002 Tahoe family/tow rig
2006 Altima daily
post #4825 of 5059 Old August 27th, 2017, 11:26 AM
Down for the count

I've always tried to change one thing at a time. First build the engine, debug it. Then transmission, debug. Then go crazy with power adders, debug. If something goes wrong, you immediately know where to look instead of chasing your tail looking at multiple culprits.

Pate didn't fall into this category, but I have seen a lot of guys locally and even more on FB go from bone stock car with a blower to massive cams, fully built longblock, $3k transmission, brand new turbo kit, new rear end etc. Then when each of those systems develop small issues, it is completely overwhelming and the car winds up parted out or sits for years never running more than a few days at a time.

What does your dyno sheet trap?
post #4826 of 5059 Old August 27th, 2017, 11:37 AM
Rent Asunder!

What I meant was more like when you do the debugging of the most recent change, don't keep tinkering with it. Whether it's a big build or a small change, when you get it setup right, leave it alone. When you start seeing if it will tolerate that extra pound of boost, etc... that's when you start breaking shit.

Remember the KISS rule... Keep It Simple Stupid.

1993 Camaro bracket car
2002 Tahoe family/tow rig
2006 Altima daily
post #4827 of 5059 Old August 27th, 2017, 12:10 PM
Down for the count

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDY4WAR View Post
What I meant was more like when you do the debugging of the most recent change, don't keep tinkering with it. Whether it's a big build or a small change, when you get it setup right, leave it alone. When you start seeing if it will tolerate that extra pound of boost, etc... that's when you start breaking shit.

Remember the KISS rule... Keep It Simple Stupid.
I completely agree. I just try to take it one step further when doing my stuff if I can because I don't have any local support; If I can't figure it out, it doesn't get fixed.

Prime example was putting in my new stall awhile back. ONLY thing I changed was the stall even though I had a new turbo and a couple fuel system parts lying in the garage waiting to go in.

Afterwards, I experienced a weird lean spike during WOT acceleration that was not there before. Because I only changed the stall, I knew that the problem had to be associated with that. After rechecking my installation and making sure the trans was working right with some datalogs, I found out that the stall allowed my RPMs to climb to a bit different point in my base fuel tables and it was briefly trying to go to stoich lol. After adjusting that and the LWFM table, I was back in business.

I could easily see how those symptoms could be interpreted as an engine or fuel system issue if I had touched those parts, however, which would have been a wild goose chase.

What does your dyno sheet trap?
post #4828 of 5059 Old August 27th, 2017, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

I suppose I took a step back this time and decided to do the whole NA break in for a couple thousand miles before adding anything... But after all the frustration of losing a brand new motor over something so stupid its took my wind.

I was planning a nice custom TT kit but fuck it if the dude brings me cash im throwing in the towel... My asking price was very far from cheap and was more of a joke but some people love to spend money... The only condition was that he can drive it away....

Convertible Crew Founder

700 RWHP Club Member #1

Vortech T Trim @18 PSI
604 RWHP 516 FT LB

738 RWHP 691 FT LB
10.9 @ 131 MPH
post #4829 of 5059 Old August 27th, 2017, 01:31 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
I feel the same with my car. At about 400rwhp it's a fun car. I'm also afraid to build a 2v because I think within a few years, parts will become hard to come by. With the coyote growing in popularity, I feel that most aftermarket companies will eventually discontinue 2v specific parts.

In all honesty, if you want to make crazy hp, I think a SBF or LS is the way to go because of parts availability now and in the future.

2002 GT - 5 Speed
Novi 1000 @ 9 psi
Mods in My Garage
post #4830 of 5059 Old August 27th, 2017, 03:45 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
If you build it once and leave it alone, your chances of breakage are dramatically reduced.
I can agree to that man!!!!
I dropped in a MMR 900 stroker, TKO600 and a D1sc, then I left the "DANN" car alone. Car been running at 600+rwhp for over 3 years now.
I looked at the car and set a goal, reached that goal and left it alone. If you keep chasing that hp number after every dyno section, you are going to break something.

Spinning ain't Winning
post #4831 of 5059 Old August 27th, 2017, 08:56 PM
Powered by LSx tears

Location: Where the rays of light shine through my Shiner Bock bottle

Quote:
Meh...... I logged over 200 nitrous passes, and almost 300 motor passes, drove the car at least 3 days a week, and never did anything to it, in a mid 9 second turd. It did end up breaking, but it had Scat I beam rods and a Scat cast crank...lol. The cheap rod is what finally gave up after the relentless abuse I put it through. It's a rod rated at 500 hp, and made more than that on motor, and I was spraying the crap out of it, and twisting it to 7K RPMs. You can make power and still have reliability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtnstrns View Post
I'll toss that dude's salad

post #4832 of 5059 Old October 13th, 2017, 10:10 PM Thread Starter

Its alive engine break in complete, i just want to put a few miles on it and enjoy it a little before it gets cold before adding the new turbo setup.

I did a stock engine NA break in this time and it was very nice to be able to pull out of my driveway WOT to set the rings and such since i dont do my own tuning.

RDY4WAR and McCLOUD like this.

Convertible Crew Founder

700 RWHP Club Member #1

Vortech T Trim @18 PSI
604 RWHP 516 FT LB

738 RWHP 691 FT LB
10.9 @ 131 MPH
post #4833 of 5059 Old October 17th, 2017, 10:35 PM Thread Starter

Im still in the process of deciding on what turbo setup to use. I am leaning highly toward building my own since my welding skills are actually to that point now. What do you all think? One thing is for sure i wont be using any CG crap this time.

Convertible Crew Founder

700 RWHP Club Member #1

Vortech T Trim @18 PSI
604 RWHP 516 FT LB

738 RWHP 691 FT LB
10.9 @ 131 MPH
post #4834 of 5059 Old October 17th, 2017, 11:38 PM
US Air Force (retired)

Garage
Quote:
Man all these high HP build threads are depressing me, things constantly break. Making a lot of power is expensive, I've given up all ambition of making my 2V any faster than 400HP.
Quote:
I agree with both statements. I’ve had my car a little over 11 years. I added the P1SC supercharger, Meziere electric water pump and BBK TB/Plenum just over 10 years ago. It’s a daily driver so near 400 rwhp is enough especially on an otherwise stock long-block. I was unhappy with the tune so 6 months later I added a MAFia, headers and got it re-tuned. Then I did brakes, hood, wheels, control arms, clutch, gears and the all important dipstick mod.

I got a quote for a MMR long block with goal of 600 rwhp but couldn't convince myself that I needed to ditch a perfectly good motor.

For the last 8 years all I have done is drive and maintain the car. It now has 205,000 miles of which the last 125,000 were supercharged at the power level in my signature. I just changed oil a couple of days ago. It used quart between the 3,000 mile oil changes. I don’t know how long it will last but I should get another couple of years out of it. The only problem that I know it has is the driver’s side seat is pretty much worn out.

I still appreciate the high horsepower builds though. I keep thinking someday maybe I'll get that MMR long block.

ProCharger P-1SC, 9 psi, STD 396/383; Uncorrected 388/375; SAE 383/370.
Ret. USAF 1969-1973,1980-1996: Vietnam veteran. Aircraft maintenance. R & D, ICBM Operations.
Also own: 1997 Harley FXDWG, 1998 F-150, and 2002 Corvette LS1
post #4835 of 5059 Old October 19th, 2017, 02:08 AM

I'm on the same motor and blower for years now. I dont persue things anymore with my 2v like I used to... Life is just too busy for me these days to invest the time that I once did. I enjoy machining custom parts now much more than actually building the car. It still making the same 630+rwhp it was years ago but it runs good and has never broken anything other than tensioners and heater hoses lol. 630+ rwhp is more than enough though to basically destroy anything you will come across on the road. In a 99 GT making 630+ with a T6060, torque arm, weight mods.... The car is pretty on point and to this day has never lost a unexpected street race.

I'm finally about to pull the motor out of is this weekend because i have to smog it again and I hate the exhaust. Normally I would just pay for an illegal smog and be done with it but this time I hate the long tube BBK headers so much I'm going to pull the motor. I'll check it all out, probably change bearings and do a bead hone here in the shop. I'm going to put either BBK shorty back on it or at most mid length headers. I hated the long tubes with a passion and it picked up less than 10hp honesty. The highest dyno my car has ever turned was 666hp/615ft (lol yep 666) on a dyno jet. That was on full race gas with the J&S setup and running max timing before detonation... had 21 degrees in it on 110 octane. On Meth its made 650s several times on pump gas. I'm happy to give up a few hp to get back to an exhaust system I can tolerate. Suspension is good and let it rip for a few more years.

I'm much more focused on working on my 67 Mustang now than I've been for over a decade. The plan is for the GF and I to drive the 67 to Mustang week next year. In order for that to happen it will need AC and motor done.... AC is a must for the girlfriend to go lol
post #4836 of 5059 Old October 19th, 2017, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightmare67 View Post
I'm on the same motor and blower for years now. I dont persue things anymore with my 2v like I used to... Life is just too busy for me these days to invest the time that I once did. I enjoy machining custom parts now much more than actually building the car. It still making the same 630+rwhp it was years ago but it runs good and has never broken anything other than tensioners and heater hoses lol. 630+ rwhp is more than enough though to basically destroy anything you will come across on the road. In a 99 GT making 630+ with a T6060, torque arm, weight mods.... The car is pretty on point and to this day has never lost a unexpected street race.

I'm finally about to pull the motor out of is this weekend because i have to smog it again and I hate the exhaust. Normally I would just pay for an illegal smog and be done with it but this time I hate the long tube BBK headers so much I'm going to pull the motor. I'll check it all out, probably change bearings and do a bead hone here in the shop. I'm going to put either BBK shorty back on it or at most mid length headers. I hated the long tubes with a passion and it picked up less than 10hp honesty. The highest dyno my car has ever turned was 666hp/615ft (lol yep 666) on a dyno jet. That was on full race gas with the J&S setup and running max timing before detonation... had 21 degrees in it on 110 octane. On Meth its made 650s several times on pump gas. I'm happy to give up a few hp to get back to an exhaust system I can tolerate. Suspension is good and let it rip for a few more years.

I'm much more focused on working on my 67 Mustang now than I've been for over a decade. The plan is for the GF and I to drive the 67 to Mustang week next year. In order for that to happen it will need AC and motor done.... AC is a must for the girlfriend to go lol

You got a pretty nice setup for machining parts..... Im not as active as i used to be either just due to running into some shitty parts in the last few years. Ive got anew found love for this car once again and im ready to build a whole new turbo setup but im not exactly sure what to do this time around... So with that being said Folks Get in here and chose my new turbo setup for me... What do you all think?

Convertible Crew Founder

700 RWHP Club Member #1

Vortech T Trim @18 PSI
604 RWHP 516 FT LB

738 RWHP 691 FT LB
10.9 @ 131 MPH
post #4837 of 5059 Old October 20th, 2017, 08:51 PM Thread Starter

Got most of my break in about done im ready to get the turbos back on.

Me and my Boy Hank getting some road miles on the Mustang Lol.

Convertible Crew Founder

700 RWHP Club Member #1

Vortech T Trim @18 PSI
604 RWHP 516 FT LB

738 RWHP 691 FT LB
10.9 @ 131 MPH
post #4838 of 5059 Old October 21st, 2017, 04:32 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Garage
honestly Pate, for the price I am impressed with my on3 hot and cold side piping... and even the on3 ball bearing turbo. the gate/bov are tial now, the V bands have been replaced.

I wouldnt be opposed to trying the twin kit. or... perhaps hit up y2k02 and see if he has his longtube setup available.

Mmr900 4.75 striker. Stock heads, CMS stage 2 turbo cams, on3 67mm ball bwaring billet wheel turbo kit @12.7 psi
539 rwhp / 601 rwtq

post #4839 of 5059 Old October 21st, 2017, 07:49 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Ha, his engine couldn't handle my setup.

2002 GT Teksid TFS Heads Edelbrock Intake Twin PTE 6466 turbos TH400/UCC Converter Holley Dominator EFI
2018 Challenger Scat

Eddie Edwards on facebook
post #4840 of 5059 Old October 21st, 2017, 09:04 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snorky View Post
honestly Pate, for the price I am impressed with my on3 hot and cold side piping... and even the on3 ball bearing turbo. the gate/bov are tial now, the V bands have been replaced.

I wouldnt be opposed to trying the twin kit. or... perhaps hit up y2k02 and see if he has his longtube setup available.
Im seriously thinking about trying out the on3 twin setup....

My motor is so bad ass it would probably Crack y2k02 pipes like it done the last set i had on there LOL..

---------- Post added at 09:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 PM ----------

on a serious note Is anyone on here running the twin on3 kit?

Convertible Crew Founder

700 RWHP Club Member #1

Vortech T Trim @18 PSI
604 RWHP 516 FT LB

738 RWHP 691 FT LB
10.9 @ 131 MPH
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/96-04/336618-turbo-build-has-begun.html
Posted By For Type Date
My "re" build thread - Trick flow/turbo build - Page 3 - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum This thread Refback July 9th, 2016 07:34 PM
Thread The Turbo build has begun | Forums at Modded Mustangs | BoardReader This thread Refback December 1st, 2015 12:31 AM
kurgan motorsports | BoardReader This thread Refback February 3rd, 2015 07:14 PM
The Turbo build has begun - Page 66 This thread Refback December 2nd, 2014 11:02 PM
UPR cracked | BoardReader This thread Refback March 27th, 2014 05:50 PM
UPR customer service | BoardReader This thread Refback March 27th, 2014 05:01 PM