starting mods - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old August 5th, 2006, 07:21 PM Thread Starter

Send a message via AIM to 99cobra
starting mods

i just bought my 99 cobra vert like 3 days ago i would like to start with some n/a mods first just to give it alil power ... eventually i would like to put a supercharger on it...i have 2 questions could my stock motor handle a supercharger and what are some mods that i should make to start out giveing it some more horespower.... this is my frist mustang so im rather new someone give me ahand
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stang_043_103.jpg (141.5 KB, 81 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old August 5th, 2006, 07:26 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to topflitecop21
The most common starting mods to mustangs are almost unanimously exhaust, cold air intake, and gears. The first thing that you need to find out is if everything you have is stock. The second is how much you want to spend now and how much in the long run.

These cars are fun but as soon as you start your mod and start tearing apart the engine, know this...

HORSEPOWER IS ADDICTIVE!!!

I know very few people that start modding and are ever completely happy with all the new products coming out.

Chris
post #3 of 8 Old August 5th, 2006, 07:31 PM Thread Starter

ok yea i dont know if everfything is stock or not i think it is cause it dont seem like the exhaust is anything special from lookin at it and it dont seeem to have any extra power from the few cobras i test drove...what kind of gears would you suggest and in the long run i would like to s/c it but i dont kow what type of gears would be good for it is 4.10 to much and do you think the stock cobra motor could handle a supercharger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old August 5th, 2006, 07:43 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to topflitecop21
You could always upgrade the exhaust even if it has been upgraded by the previous owner. Every person has there own "perfaect mustang" so you have to configure yours to fit you indluding the looks and the sounds along with performance. The gears depend on what you are going to be using the car for. If you want a supercharger, you could go with 4.10's but if you are going to be doing alot of highway driving, 3.73's may be the way to go. There is alot of good posts on gears and the circumstances around them. Just browse the other posts on the subject. For a blown mustang, a cobra engine is just about the best you could hope for. If you don't take the boost too high, your enginge could handle way more than my 98 GT. I usually have seen stats that range in the 50% increases in power are usually fine for stock motors. What ever your HP is now, divide it by 2 and add it to your current HP and stay below or in that range.

Chris
post #5 of 8 Old August 5th, 2006, 08:20 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

If your ganna keep it n/a 4:10's... which work fine as a daily driver. But if an eventual s/c 4:10's would be to steep. 3:73's would work best for a s/c. BUt For now do a full exaust. Long tube headers, an x-pipe catless or with high flow cats, and replace the stock mufflers. You allready have a cold air filter from what I can tell in your pictures. That should keep a smile on your face for a good while. Then when you feel the time is right for the s/c go for it. Don't forget to tune it... otherwise it would run like garbage lol.

Anyways welcome to mm, its allways good to have someone new! Even better when they have a COBRA. We love pics and videos here whenever your can. Ohh nad add yourself to the member map if you can... you never know someone from the forums could be living down the street!

post #6 of 8 Old August 5th, 2006, 08:38 PM Thread Starter

hey thanks for the welcome ok so 3.73 for a supercharger that is good info what do you suggest for a short shifter what type is the best like i said im new and have been learning as much as i can from these forums and would a s/c be ok on my stock motor or would mods to the motor be needed
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stang_043_153.jpg (141.5 KB, 62 views)
post #7 of 8 Old August 5th, 2006, 09:27 PM

I'm really ganna have to leave that to someone else lol, now would be a good time to chime it. I had a manuel v6 that I lerned how to drive stick with. Two weeks later it was totalled when it was rearended lol! there was a topic somewere recently let me find it.

https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...ter-vt165.html

Thats from joe, and he knows his stuff. But there so many to choose from, Ill let someone else help you with that one.

As far as the stock block Your good with normal psi, Im not familiar with 99 cobras, there 4vs right just like the 03 without the supercharger. If so you can get up there in the high psi numbers without a worry from what Ive herd.
post #8 of 8 Old August 6th, 2006, 09:03 PM

Send a message via AIM to Drgnracin72 Send a message via Yahoo to Drgnracin72
for the shifter i would say either the steeda or the mgw. i had a steeda when i first got my car and it was pretty solid. once i got the MGW, ill never go to another brand. they are awsome. you can adjust it an infinite number of ways so it fits you perfect. the 99 cobra is basically the same as the 03 but does not have the same the forged internals as the terminators. i say stick a procharger d1-sc on it and pulley it for about 8-10 psi and be done with it. i had a 97 cobra that was s/c and it had 4.10 in it and in my opinion they are to steep. first gear went to about 17 mph and top speed was only around 130-135. i have 3.73 in my s/c 2000 GT and i feel that they are perfect street gear with a s/c. anyways good luck and have a good one!

RIP

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical, liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
One Big Ass Mistake America

SHEEPDOGS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page