Anyone running an Edelbrock intake manifold with a stock style plenum? - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old March 25th, 2014, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

Garage
Anyone running an Edelbrock intake manifold with a stock style plenum?

I'm wondering if anyone is running an Eddy with a stock type plenum. I only want to do an Edelbrock manifold due to some minor seepage at the crossover of my stock PI. Being the owner of two '01 GTs with the plastic coolant crossovers, I knew this day would come. I'm not buying a used PI intake, not paying $200 for a new one. I'll simply spend the $300 on the Edelbrock, pick up an adapter to run my stock plenum and TB. I consider the additional cost of fuel rails to be a worthwhile cosmetic upgrade, also.

It's a shame this didn't happen a year or so from now. I'd be a lot closer to dropping in a 4 valve. The irony of having a mint Mach 1 intake setup sitting in my house, and then dumping money into a new 2V intake.

Now, I'm wondering how insane the torque losses will be down low. This will be on my T56 car with 3.73s. My 1st gear runs out a good 5 MPH faster than a TR-3650/3.27 car, so it's never been crazy in 1st. Don't want to lose all that much torque down low with that in mind. Any numbers, preferably a dyno sheet, of a relatively stock 2V with an Eddy and a stock type plenum would be greatly appreciated. I'll be going through with this regardless, just want to see what I'm in for.

Also, another big question. What's everyone doing for a fuel rail pressure sensor? I see MMR sells a complete fuel rail setup with the rails, fittings, lines, and the adapters to connect to the factory lines and FRPS. Seems like the most well put together package, but it's pricey at $359. Manifold and rails would go on my other GT eventually, that'll be a 2V/turbo/automatic setup. So, the high initial investment over just replacing the PI intake doesn't bother me too much.

YN Silver '01 GT - Main money pit
Black '01 GT - Racecar
'92 E36 BMW 325i - $500 daily driver
'86 Camaro - Sitting in a shed torn apart
'13 Kawasaki ZX-6R - Sold, too fast, want a Harley
'11 E92 BMW 328i xDrive Coupe 6MT - Daily luxury
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old March 25th, 2014, 07:22 PM
MM Fanatic

Garage
MMR makes an adaptor to run stock plenum with eddy intake
post #3 of 9 Old March 25th, 2014, 07:30 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor123 View Post
MMR makes an adaptor to run stock plenum with eddy intake
I know, man..

Quote:
I'll simply spend the $300 on the Edelbrock, pick up an adapter to run my stock plenum and TB.
I'm interested in the results of this, though. I know that the low end torque losses are pretty considerable even with a 6061 or Edelbrock elbow that's designed for it, let alone a stock plenum ran via an adapter.

Black '01 GT - Racecar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old March 25th, 2014, 07:45 PM
MM Fanatic

Garage
oops didnt read all of question, sorry lol
post #5 of 9 Old March 26th, 2014, 11:31 AM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

Garage
It was only like the 4th sentence in, so I guess you just read the thread title only.

Found the results I was looking for. Edelbrock Vic Jr with an adapter plate and a BBK stock type plenum on a stock 2V. He went from 255/302 rwhp/rwtq, to 252/266, but the powerband was massively shifted.

Black '01 GT - Racecar
post #6 of 9 Old March 26th, 2014, 12:32 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Wow. Big torque loss.

Vortech V-2 S-Trim (415 RWHP/406 RWTQ)

Instagram: @tylerjhorner
post #7 of 9 Old March 26th, 2014, 01:15 PM
Trying to Get There

With the short runners you need to throw some boost or nitrous at it to compensate for the loss of torque - seems like that intake is not really meant for a N/A street car
post #8 of 9 Old March 26th, 2014, 01:26 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin C View Post
I'm wondering if anyone is running an Eddy with a stock type plenum. I only want to do an Edelbrock manifold due to some minor seepage at the crossover of my stock PI. Being the owner of two '01 GTs with the plastic coolant crossovers, I knew this day would come. I'm not buying a used PI intake, not paying $200 for a new one. I'll simply spend the $300 on the Edelbrock, pick up an adapter to run my stock plenum and TB. I consider the additional cost of fuel rails to be a worthwhile cosmetic upgrade, also.

It's a shame this didn't happen a year or so from now. I'd be a lot closer to dropping in a 4 valve. The irony of having a mint Mach 1 intake setup sitting in my house, and then dumping money into a new 2V intake.

Now, I'm wondering how insane the torque losses will be down low. This will be on my T56 car with 3.73s. My 1st gear runs out a good 5 MPH faster than a TR-3650/3.27 car, so it's never been crazy in 1st. Don't want to lose all that much torque down low with that in mind. Any numbers, preferably a dyno sheet, of a relatively stock 2V with an Eddy and a stock type plenum would be greatly appreciated. I'll be going through with this regardless, just want to see what I'm in for.

Also, another big question. What's everyone doing for a fuel rail pressure sensor? I see MMR sells a complete fuel rail setup with the rails, fittings, lines, and the adapters to connect to the factory lines and FRPS. Seems like the most well put together package, but it's pricey at $359. Manifold and rails would go on my other GT eventually, that'll be a 2V/turbo/automatic setup. So, the high initial investment over just replacing the PI intake doesn't bother me too much.
Just to give you a ideal of what it will look like, hear is a picture of it on my supercharged setup.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-7...art+up+007.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-k...nstall+128.jpg
post #9 of 9 Old April 4th, 2014, 12:23 AM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

Garage
I ended up going with a new FRPP PI manifold. That made it a bit easier to afford a complete set of Mishimoto silicone hoses, new thermostat neck, new coolant temp sensor, the appropriate alternator bracket, fresh injector O-rings, EGR block off plate, etc.

Can't wait to clean the hell out of my throttle body, plenum, injectors, delete the EGR, delete the IAC silencer box, and clean the hell out of the entire engine while the intake and everything else is off. Was dead set on the looks of the Edelbrock, but the torque losses.. I think of the occasional times when I drive my BMW 325i, and realize how dreadful a lack of torque is.

Black '01 GT - Racecar
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page