Hot A/C! - Page 2 - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 31 Old May 14th, 2016, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOdessa View Post
I got my ccrm refurbished and it's fine. EBay and the Google will yield the best price but I got it locally from Napa as I couldn't wait for the part here in Florida where it's so hot.

Shops must love when it warms up. It seems like everyone gets ac problems suddenly
I searched eBay and couldn't find the correct one with a good price, so I bought one off Autozone.com. Comes with a 1-year warranty and didn't want to risk buying a used CCRM that could potentially have a non-working A/C relay. Coincidentally, they were doing a 20% discount, plus free $10 gift card for online orders over $100.

I'll update this thread once I have it installed.

I've been putting off fixing the A/C for a while (never worked when I got the car two years ago) as I could always roll the windows down anyway. However, I miss the defog function when it's raining/muggy out. Having cold air would be bonus!

In case anyone wants the link to the CCRM I bought for my '99 GT - Cardone Relay - Control Module 73-70020

1999 GT Dark Green Satin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 31 Old May 17th, 2016, 07:12 AM
6 Cylinduh, Really Bruh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by macuser27 View Post
I searched eBay and couldn't find the correct one with a good price, so I bought one off Autozone.com. Comes with a 1-year warranty and didn't want to risk buying a used CCRM that could potentially have a non-working A/C relay. Coincidentally, they were doing a 20% discount, plus free $10 gift card for online orders over $100.

I'll update this thread once I have it installed.

I've been putting off fixing the A/C for a while (never worked when I got the car two years ago) as I could always roll the windows down anyway. However, I miss the defog function when it's raining/muggy out. Having cold air would be bonus!

In case anyone wants the link to the CCRM I bought for my '99 GT - Cardone Relay - Control Module 73-70020
Nice! Keep us updated. the CCRM is located in the pasenger side fender wheel well. I had to remove the passenger tire and plastic that goes around (mud guard?) and it's bolted to the frame. Simply unhook (the connector to the relay is held in with a screw), unscrew from body frame of car, and remove. Install is reverse process.

I went napa because they were the only place in town that had it in stock that I could go and pick up. I didnt want to wait for shipping as no AC in FL was killing me. Mine decided to die in the middle of summer. My car is black on black so it hurts inside with the sun and no AC.
macuser27 likes this.

http://imageshack.com/a/img832/3492/odessadone.jpg

2001 Mustang GT Convertible - Black with Black Top - 5SPD
Bolt On Warrior - Everything done to my car:
https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...l#post11931130
post #23 of 31 Old May 17th, 2016, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOdessa View Post
Nice! Keep us updated. the CCRM is located in the pasenger side fender wheel well. I had to remove the passenger tire and plastic that goes around (mud guard?) and it's bolted to the frame. Simply unhook (the connector to the relay is held in with a screw), unscrew from body frame of car, and remove. Install is reverse process.

I went napa because they were the only place in town that had it in stock that I could go and pick up. I didnt want to wait for shipping as no AC in FL was killing me. Mine decided to die in the middle of summer. My car is black on black so it hurts inside with the sun and no AC.
Murphy's Law strikes!

CCRM arrived today while I was at work. Rushed home after work and while parking noticed that the car sounded odd.

Popped the hood and saw green liquid EVERYWHERE. I assumed it was coolant but didn't know where it came from.

Inspected the engine bay closely and noticed that the line connecting the condenser to the evaporator was disconnected at the firewall. I assume I must have put in too much refrigerant (even though the gauge on the recharge kit was good) and the line blew off the snap connector (not sure what it is called).

Oh well. I took it in stride and started taking the air box apart and cleaned everything. Green oil everywhere. Two hours later and the engine bay is mostly clean again. The three O-rings on the line were still present and looked good. The spring in the snap connector was half-way out and I massaged it back in.

I then reconnected the line back into the evaporator at the firewall and made sure the connector snapped/clicked into place. I tried pulling it apart and it seems solid. Fingers crossed.

Back to the air box and cleaned that (green oil EVERYWHERE). Cleaned the MAF with MAF cleaner. I was losing daylight so decided to stop work but not before I washed the K&N air filter and set it out to dry.

So.... my plan tomorrow is to go ahead and replace the CCRM, oil the air filter, put everything back together and see what happens.

1999 GT Dark Green Satin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 31 Old May 18th, 2016, 07:35 AM

I wish our cars had the option to cut off the air coming from the engine bay and only circulate the air from the cabin like a lot of other cars do.
macuser27 likes this.

Convertible Crew Founder
Proud Iraq and Afghanistan War veteran

700 RWHP Club Member #1

Vortech T Trim @18 PSI
604 RWHP 516 FT LB
[email protected]@ 523RWHP

Precision Turbo 7675 CEA @ 20 PSI
738 RWHP 691 FT LB
10.9 @ 131 MPH
post #25 of 31 Old May 18th, 2016, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Garage
Well, CCRM is in. Air filter and air box all put back together. Car runs with no odd noises. Took 30-45 minutes or so. Pretty easy job.

At this point, I was thinking about just taking the car into a shop and have a professional finish up the A/C work, since the system now has to be put into a vacuum, before adding refrigerant due to that disconnected line.

So I called a bunch of recommended local shops to get quotes which are ranging from $170 to $200. However, they are all busy and won't have time to work on my car till the middle of next week.

Meanwhile, I watched a couple of YouTube videos and putting the A/C system in a vacuum and refill seems pretty straight forward, if I had manifold gauges and a vacuum pump. A quick look at Harbor Freight's site lists the gauges at $60 and the pump at $100.

Now contemplating on getting them, and continuing fixing this myself.

Habor Freight - Gauge Set

Habor Freight - Vacuum Pump

1999 GT Dark Green Satin
post #26 of 31 Old May 20th, 2016, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Garage
Update.

Gauges and pump purchased, hooked up and pulled a vacuum.

Lost vacuum within minutes after which tells me that there is a leak in the A/C system.

Next step. Getting UV dye and UV light and hunt down this leak.

1999 GT Dark Green Satin
post #27 of 31 Old May 20th, 2016, 04:54 PM
Regular

Check your schrader valves on the high and low ports. When I was working with mine, one of them would no longer seal. Bought a new set, replaced both, and pulled vacuum. System held vacuum (I let it sit for hours after turning of my compressor)and I haven't had an issue since.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
macuser27 likes this.
post #28 of 31 Old May 20th, 2016, 05:52 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysturbed87 View Post
Check your schrader valves on the high and low ports. When I was working with mine, one of them would no longer seal. Bought a new set, replaced both, and pulled vacuum. System held vacuum (I let it sit for hours after turning of my compressor)and I haven't had an issue since.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk
Thanks for the tip. I'll check it out.

I have UV dye and some refridgerant in the system now. Compressor clicks on when I turn the A/C on for now. Glad I got the electrical gremlins (new CCRM) out of the way.

Will check where it's leaking from with UV light when it gets darker this evening.

1999 GT Dark Green Satin
post #29 of 31 Old May 21st, 2016, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
Regular

Garage
I gotta say, the UV thing is hella cool!

Found a leak at the liquid line from Evaporator to Condenser (Hose with the orifice tube in it).

And leak from the bottom of the accumulator.

check back for updates....

1999 GT Dark Green Satin
post #30 of 31 Old May 31st, 2016, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Garage
Well, I replaced the liquid line from the condenser to the evaporator, as well as the accumulator/receiver drier. Pulled a vacuum and it didn't hold. So there is still a leak somewhere.

I kind of hear a faint hissing from the condenser, so ordered one today.

Slowly but surely...

1999 GT Dark Green Satin
post #31 of 31 Old June 6th, 2016, 03:23 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Garage
Replacing the condenser did it! Ice cold A/C on a drive from San Francisco to Sacramento and back. Outside temperature was 101 degrees in Sac. Good test for the A/C system.

List of parts that needed replacing on this 18 year old car:
CCRM
Condenser
Liquid line with orifice tube
Accumulator/drier

Not sure how long the A/C was broken when the previous owner had it. I've owned it for about 2+ years and it never worked. Refreshed the PAG 46 oil, compressor not making loud noises and hoping the A/C will keep on keepin' on.

1999 GT Dark Green Satin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page