Removing 2 dents - Page 2 - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 24 Old May 8th, 2014, 10:05 AM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedSnake00 View Post
I did bodywork for awhile (granted I was one of the low level guys) and the goal was 1/8" or less of filler, preferrably 1/16" or none. The best guys in the shop barely used it aside from an odd skim coat of lightweight filler.

Just because it looks right from the outside doesn't mean it's a good repair. I certainly found that out on my Cutlass. The lower quarters looked good, but it was basically 1/2" of filler over some rusty metal that was about as solid as swiss cheese.

Bottom line is yes you can get away with filler (and I admit, there's some 3/16" spots on my quarter, especially where I used the slide hammer), but I wouldn't send that out on a professional job.

Couldn't have said it any better.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Procharger P1sc| 2 core| 353hp/347tq| Mac lt's| lethal x| slp lm1| 75mm tb/plenum| 4.10's| lca| flsfc| h&r's

Oh ya, and female owned and driven!

Sonic Blue Crew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 24 Old May 8th, 2014, 10:17 AM
New time's coming soon!!!

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by WickedSnake00 View Post
I did bodywork for awhile (granted I was one of the low level guys) and the goal was 1/8" or less of filler, preferrably 1/16" or none. The best guys in the shop barely used it aside from an odd skim coat of lightweight filler.

Just because it looks right from the outside doesn't mean it's a good repair. I certainly found that out on my Cutlass. The lower quarters looked good, but it was basically 1/2" of filler over some rusty metal that was about as solid as swiss cheese.

Bottom line is yes you can get away with filler (and I admit, there's some 3/16" spots on my quarter, especially where I used the slide hammer), but I wouldn't send that out on a professional job.
He's not dealing with rusty metal though. Your right about how thin you should spread mud but the reason I said I wouldn't bother is because it is such a small area. With that area being so small it's not gonna crack or have problems later on. When you get in to bigger dents that cover more area then by all means they need pulled out as much as possible.

---------- Post added at 09:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:08 AM ----------

Also I'm by no means say that a 1/2" of mud is acceptable because it clearly not. It's just Such a small area that it would be a waste IMHO.

---------- Post added at 09:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:12 AM ----------

Also just though you all should read this article about body work. http://www.roadsters.com/filler/

My Build Thread : https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...-gt-build.html

D1SC 12-13psi 391rwhp 411rwtq
post #23 of 24 Old May 8th, 2014, 11:04 AM
a.k.a. Racecougar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03 cristian View Post
Some idiot mistook my car in an un-surveillanced parking lot for another guys car, and did this....
Present said idiot with the aforementioned bill and let the body shop handle it.

That damage isn't particularly difficult to repair, but it will require paint. If you're able to get to the back side of the dent on the driverside rear quarter, you can straighten that out with a little off-dolly work. If not, a stud gun and slide hammer would get it close. A stud gun and slide hammer should get the damage on the passenger side quarter close enough to skim coat and block.

Rod @ AzzKicker Cars

2004 Ford Mustang GT-The Driver-BBK CAI, PP TB & Inlet, Steeda UD's, SLP LM1, & 3.73's.
1990 Mercury Cougar XR7-The Meth Addict-5.0L DOHC Stroker w/2.1L KB SC.
1995 Ford F150-Mud Toy-5.0L, 4x4, 33's, & Warn 8274 Winch
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 24 Old May 8th, 2014, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
hi you can call me mater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tang Stang View Post
Present said idiot with the aforementioned bill and let the body shop handle it.

That damage isn't particularly difficult to repair, but it will require paint. If you're able to get to the back side of the dent on the driverside rear quarter, you can straighten that out with a little off-dolly work. If not, a stud gun and slide hammer would get it close. A stud gun and slide hammer should get the damage on the passenger side quarter close enough to skim coat and block.
I cant though, I dont know who it was, he just left me a note saying," next time don't dent my fucking door asshole"

"I wonder if I sprayed some on my junk, I could go raw dog and not get herpes. But first I'd have to find a female willing to have relations."-kmac1622
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page