Forums at Modded Mustangs

Forums at Modded Mustangs (https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/)
-   96 - 04 (https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/96-04/)
-   -   4r70w is slipping (https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums/96-04/436682-4r70w-slipping.html)

03 cristian May 13th, 2014 10:50 PM

4r70w is slipping

So for 2 days now my car has been almost going into neutral on low speeds and when I give it gas the tranny slips until like 2500 rpm. it also does it when going from reverse to drive, it'll stall until 2500 or 3000 rpm and toast the tires. Well today the car out of no where did the same thing in highway speeds of 55-65 mph and I stepped on it and it didn't want to go until the RPMs reached 3500. What could this be?

SSG Pate May 13th, 2014 11:10 PM

what does the fluid look like? does is smell burnt? Sounds to me like your clutch packs are on thier way out.

03 cristian May 14th, 2014 04:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSG Pate (Post 8273810)
what does the fluid look like? does is smell burnt? Sounds to me like your clutch packs are on thier way out.

Well its been a couple.hours and I just lost all forward gears! I have reverse but no forward! The fluid was low, and smelled burnt and I was cruising.down the highway and gave it 75% throttle and the tranny did not want to shift it alnost reached 6500 RPMs when I have it set at 6100. So I pulled over and no more forward. I have reverse and when I switch from reverse to forward it wants to keep going but it want budge. Its like if i'm revving the car while in park. The fluid was low so I added fluid while the car was operating temp until it read on the H on the dipstick and still nothing!

mustanginky May 14th, 2014 07:13 AM

Clutch packs are burnt up

SSG Pate May 14th, 2014 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03 cristian (Post 8275834)
Well its been a couple.hours and I just lost all forward gears! I have reverse but no forward! The fluid was low, and smelled burnt and I was cruising.down the highway and gave it 75% throttle and the tranny did not want to shift it alnost reached 6500 RPMs when I have it set at 6100. So I pulled over and no more forward. I have reverse and when I switch from reverse to forward it wants to keep going but it want budge. Its like if i'm revving the car while in park. The fluid was low so I added fluid while the car was operating temp until it read on the H on the dipstick and still nothing!

Typically you get warning signs such as gear searching and slipping to indicate an issue and by this time it is to late. Your clutches are burned up inside your transmission and more then likely it has flooded your valve body with cluch material..

A rebuild of the clutches is in order as well as a valve body. Personally i would throw the Valve body in the trash and buy a brand new one of there is alot of material in it. Also if the Lines and cooler are not properly cleaned out you will ruin the next valve body with Clutch debris. A typical repair such as this runs 1300-2000 dpending on the shop.

03 cristian May 14th, 2014 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSG Pate (Post 8276106)
Typically you get warning signs such as gear searching and slipping to indicate an issue and by this time it is to late. Your clutches are burned up inside your transmission and more then likely it has flooded your valve body with cluch material..

A rebuild of the clutches is in order as well as a valve body. Personally i would throw the Valve body in the trash and buy a brand new one of there is alot of material in it. Also if the Lines and cooler are not properly cleaned out you will ruin the next valve body with Clutch debris. A typical repair such as this runs 1300-2000 dpending on the shop.

So a whole rebuild is in order? Or just a clutch and valve body rebuild?

---------- Post added at 10:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03 cristian (Post 8276818)
So a whole rebuild is in order? Or just a clutch and valve body rebuild?

Not clutch and valve body rebuild but replacement of said items?

me2dumb4college May 14th, 2014 11:37 AM

Or you can buy a fully built new one here for the same price: AODE AODE 4R70W 4R70W AOD Mustang Parts, aode aode 4r70w Transmission

SSG Pate May 14th, 2014 12:25 PM

Yes a full rebuild is in order, once you have to break open the Transmission you have already paid for the labor so go ahead and get it done so you wont have to mess with it again for several years.

me2dumb4college May 14th, 2014 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSG Pate (Post 8277058)
Yes a full rebuild is in order, once you have to break open the Transmission you have already paid for the labor so go ahead and get it done so you wont have to mess with it again for several years.

or you could do a junk yard pull if you're really strapped for cash... but you never know what you're going to get

i still say buying a built trans is best bang for buck and will future proof your car if you decide to go for more power

03 cristian May 14th, 2014 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by me2dumb4college (Post 8278458)
or you could do a junk yard pull if you're really strapped for cash... but you never know what you're going to get

i still say buying a built trans is best bang for buck and will future proof your car if you decide to go for more power

Yeah im gonna order the one you linked tomorrow, i'm paying extra for the stall too ;)