4r70w is slipping - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old May 13th, 2014, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
hi you can call me mater
 
03 cristian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Douglas,ga
Posts: 4,845
 
iTrader: 5 reviews
4r70w is slipping

So for 2 days now my car has been almost going into neutral on low speeds and when I give it gas the tranny slips until like 2500 rpm. it also does it when going from reverse to drive, it'll stall until 2500 or 3000 rpm and toast the tires. Well today the car out of no where did the same thing in highway speeds of 55-65 mph and I stepped on it and it didn't want to go until the RPMs reached 3500. What could this be?


"I wonder if I sprayed some on my junk, I could go raw dog and not get herpes. But first I'd have to find a female willing to have relations."-kmac1622
03 cristian is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old May 13th, 2014, 11:10 PM
Moderator
 
SSG Pate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 13,568
                     
iTrader: 9 reviews
what does the fluid look like? does is smell burnt? Sounds to me like your clutch packs are on thier way out.


Convertible Crew Founder
Proud Iraq and Afghanistan War veteran

700 RWHP Club Member #1

Vortech T Trim @18 PSI
604 RWHP 516 FT LB
[email protected]@ 523RWHP

Precision Turbo 7675 CEA @ 20 PSI
738 RWHP 691 FT LB
10.9 @ 131 MPH
SSG Pate is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old May 14th, 2014, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
hi you can call me mater
 
03 cristian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Douglas,ga
Posts: 4,845
 
iTrader: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSG Pate View Post
what does the fluid look like? does is smell burnt? Sounds to me like your clutch packs are on thier way out.
Well its been a couple.hours and I just lost all forward gears! I have reverse but no forward! The fluid was low, and smelled burnt and I was cruising.down the highway and gave it 75% throttle and the tranny did not want to shift it alnost reached 6500 RPMs when I have it set at 6100. So I pulled over and no more forward. I have reverse and when I switch from reverse to forward it wants to keep going but it want budge. Its like if i'm revving the car while in park. The fluid was low so I added fluid while the car was operating temp until it read on the H on the dipstick and still nothing!


"I wonder if I sprayed some on my junk, I could go raw dog and not get herpes. But first I'd have to find a female willing to have relations."-kmac1622
03 cristian is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 10 Old May 14th, 2014, 07:13 AM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: La grange, KY
Posts: 6,139
             
iTrader: 2 reviews
Clutch packs are burnt up

Procharged 2000 5 Speed BAB GT, built motor, blower cams, 10 lbs, lee blankenship tune 430/405

HARDCORE CREW

BRIGHT ATLANTIC BLUE CREW #1 MEMBER
mustanginky is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old May 14th, 2014, 08:13 AM
Moderator
 
SSG Pate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 13,568
                     
iTrader: 9 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 03 cristian View Post
Well its been a couple.hours and I just lost all forward gears! I have reverse but no forward! The fluid was low, and smelled burnt and I was cruising.down the highway and gave it 75% throttle and the tranny did not want to shift it alnost reached 6500 RPMs when I have it set at 6100. So I pulled over and no more forward. I have reverse and when I switch from reverse to forward it wants to keep going but it want budge. Its like if i'm revving the car while in park. The fluid was low so I added fluid while the car was operating temp until it read on the H on the dipstick and still nothing!
Typically you get warning signs such as gear searching and slipping to indicate an issue and by this time it is to late. Your clutches are burned up inside your transmission and more then likely it has flooded your valve body with cluch material..

A rebuild of the clutches is in order as well as a valve body. Personally i would throw the Valve body in the trash and buy a brand new one of there is alot of material in it. Also if the Lines and cooler are not properly cleaned out you will ruin the next valve body with Clutch debris. A typical repair such as this runs 1300-2000 dpending on the shop.


Convertible Crew Founder
Proud Iraq and Afghanistan War veteran

700 RWHP Club Member #1

Vortech T Trim @18 PSI
604 RWHP 516 FT LB
[email protected]@ 523RWHP

Precision Turbo 7675 CEA @ 20 PSI
738 RWHP 691 FT LB
10.9 @ 131 MPH
SSG Pate is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old May 14th, 2014, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
hi you can call me mater
 
03 cristian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Douglas,ga
Posts: 4,845
 
iTrader: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSG Pate View Post
Typically you get warning signs such as gear searching and slipping to indicate an issue and by this time it is to late. Your clutches are burned up inside your transmission and more then likely it has flooded your valve body with cluch material..

A rebuild of the clutches is in order as well as a valve body. Personally i would throw the Valve body in the trash and buy a brand new one of there is alot of material in it. Also if the Lines and cooler are not properly cleaned out you will ruin the next valve body with Clutch debris. A typical repair such as this runs 1300-2000 dpending on the shop.
So a whole rebuild is in order? Or just a clutch and valve body rebuild?

---------- Post added at 10:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:25 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03 cristian View Post
So a whole rebuild is in order? Or just a clutch and valve body rebuild?
Not clutch and valve body rebuild but replacement of said items?


"I wonder if I sprayed some on my junk, I could go raw dog and not get herpes. But first I'd have to find a female willing to have relations."-kmac1622
03 cristian is offline  
post #7 of 10 Old May 14th, 2014, 11:37 AM
MM Fanatic
 
me2dumb4college's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 3,453
         
iTrader: 1 reviews
Or you can buy a fully built new one here for the same price: AODE AODE 4R70W 4R70W AOD Mustang Parts, aode aode 4r70w Transmission

me2dumb4college is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old May 14th, 2014, 12:25 PM
Moderator
 
SSG Pate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 13,568
                     
iTrader: 9 reviews
Yes a full rebuild is in order, once you have to break open the Transmission you have already paid for the labor so go ahead and get it done so you wont have to mess with it again for several years.


Convertible Crew Founder
Proud Iraq and Afghanistan War veteran

700 RWHP Club Member #1

Vortech T Trim @18 PSI
604 RWHP 516 FT LB
[email protected]@ 523RWHP

Precision Turbo 7675 CEA @ 20 PSI
738 RWHP 691 FT LB
10.9 @ 131 MPH
SSG Pate is offline  
post #9 of 10 Old May 14th, 2014, 05:14 PM
MM Fanatic
 
me2dumb4college's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Richmond, VA
Posts: 3,453
         
iTrader: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSG Pate View Post
Yes a full rebuild is in order, once you have to break open the Transmission you have already paid for the labor so go ahead and get it done so you wont have to mess with it again for several years.
or you could do a junk yard pull if you're really strapped for cash... but you never know what you're going to get

i still say buying a built trans is best bang for buck and will future proof your car if you decide to go for more power

me2dumb4college is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old May 14th, 2014, 05:48 PM Thread Starter
hi you can call me mater
 
03 cristian's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Douglas,ga
Posts: 4,845
 
iTrader: 5 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by me2dumb4college View Post
or you could do a junk yard pull if you're really strapped for cash... but you never know what you're going to get

i still say buying a built trans is best bang for buck and will future proof your car if you decide to go for more power
Yeah im gonna order the one you linked tomorrow, i'm paying extra for the stall too


"I wonder if I sprayed some on my junk, I could go raw dog and not get herpes. But first I'd have to find a female willing to have relations."-kmac1622
03 cristian is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome