Selling Car - How Do I Prevent Idiots Test Driving? - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 28 Old May 21st, 2014, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Selling Car - How Do I Prevent Idiots Test Driving?

So I live on a busy road and often put a car out by the road for sale. As you can imagine, it offers great visibility but at a cost. If the car is a classic, plenty of people want to waste your time talking, with no intention of buying.

My problem this time is that the car is a fast one - a 2000 GT Convertible with a tune and mods. Some people say you have to show up with cash to drive. Is that realistic? Any other ideas for qualifying people? My gut is that if they show up in a car that is not as nice as mine, they don't get to drive it without giving me some cash.

Other ideas?

Thanks,

BB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 Old May 21st, 2014, 12:27 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

I don't offer a test drive. I offer a test ride

96 GT turbocharged - SOLD
97 Cobra vert stock -SOLD
post #3 of 28 Old May 21st, 2014, 12:29 PM
Premium Member

Garage
Same here. I take them for a ride and claim my policy does not cover them. They have to pay to play

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

SOLD : 02 Sonic Blue GT - Vortech V3-Si, Treadstone TRV25O, Tial Q, PMAS HPX MAF
SOLD : 14 Ruby Red F150 Ecoboost
15 Mustang GT PP - SCT Tune & Exhaust.
Click Here to see my 02 Vortech V3 Build Thread
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 28 Old May 21st, 2014, 12:29 PM
Enthusiast

Photo copy of license and ride with them, if they don't like you taking their info then use your judgement. Either tell them to kick dirt or tell them you will throw it in the garbage/ return the copied info to them so you are no longer in possession.

I daily drive a 2000 chevy malibu that has seen better days, and is usually full of my tools for side jobs.I also have a lot of visible tattoo's…….if i show up to look at your car are you going to tell me to f-off…….I make anywhere between 120-160K a year + about 10-20k cash on side jobs, so you better be a good judge of character, because if i took time away from my family to look at your car it meant i was probably going to buy it.

So the car thing is a real tough spot, if I'm in my work close its steel toe western boots, jeans with holes and a plain black t shirt with holes.

IMO I would go with my gut feeling, talk to someone for a couple minutes and then offer my number to continue the convo later(if you think they are wasting your time) to cut things short, or chat them till the cows come home and try to close the sale

00 GT, 4v and Heaton Swap, T56 Mag Build thread: https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...aton-swap.html

post #5 of 28 Old May 21st, 2014, 12:51 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Thanks for the ideas. Age also plays a role here.
post #6 of 28 Old May 21st, 2014, 04:23 PM
Regular

Just try to read them. I usually won't bring cash with when meeting someone the first time or if I do I don't let it know. Others might get a loan to buy the car and they aren't going to go get the loan just to test drive it. Riding with them is a great idea.

I had a guy that wouldn't let me drive the car until I bought it. I even had cash with. I walked away without thinking twice.

396hp/395tq
post #7 of 28 Old May 21st, 2014, 04:28 PM
MM Fanatic

if I'm a buyer, I'm not buying without a test drive... plain and simple

I'd expect that you would ride along, as that's pretty standard.

post #8 of 28 Old May 21st, 2014, 04:41 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by xandraxal View Post
I don't offer a test drive. I offer a test ride
I agree, if you want to buy my car you get a ride alone. I have to much money invested. I'm not a dealership where everyone is covered. You will get a hard core ride alone and if you like what you feel then you can come back with cash money in hand and take me for a ride along. So if you wreck it you bought it.
post #9 of 28 Old May 21st, 2014, 04:43 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Agreed on test ride first and if they want a test drive bring cash next time and show some ID.
post #10 of 28 Old May 21st, 2014, 05:15 PM
tits on a bull

judgement really. what always pisses me off is when people tell me they want cash in hand for a test drive. which means, u want me to buy the vehicle, and then test drive it. u don't trust me to test drive but expect me to trust u with my money? i think not. i've bought cars and motorcycles and was able to test drive them, and i'd expect nothing less before i ever bought anything. and i'd let someone test drive my stuff if i ever planned on actually selling it. i'd never settle for a ride along.

---------- Post added at 05:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:14 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeSnake View Post
Agreed on test ride first and if they want a test drive bring cash next time and show some ID.
this is good too. as long as u don't require cash to change hands. but this will tell you they're actually serious and not just out for a free joyride.

built and blown.
Mod List
post #11 of 28 Old May 21st, 2014, 05:34 PM
Bringing Yellow Back

Send a message via MSN to zinc-vert02
ride with said idiot when test drive

Stock long block 2v, stock trans, 100 shot of go fast gas. 315hp and 430 trq on spray
post #12 of 28 Old May 21st, 2014, 05:42 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnole23 View Post
judgement really. what always pisses me off is when people tell me they want cash in hand for a test drive. which means, u want me to buy the vehicle, and then test drive it. u don't trust me to test drive but expect me to trust u with my money? i think not. i've bought cars and motorcycles and was able to test drive them, and i'd expect nothing less before i ever bought anything. and i'd let someone test drive my stuff if i ever planned on actually selling it. i'd never settle for a ride along.

---------- Post added at 05:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:14 PM ----------

this is good too. as long as u don't require cash to change hands. but this will tell you they're actually serious and not just out for a free joyride.
Those are almost the same words a man told my friend when he wanted to buy his Suzuki 1300r. Then the man took it for a test drive and total it after siding into a tree. Man just walked away and left my buddy with a useless bike. My buddy had to take him to small claims court. I don't know how it turn out.
My car is stroked, cams, ported heads and blown. I want cash in hand if you want to drive. It you don't want it you get your money back. If you wreck it you get nothing. If you don't have cash you get a ride and when you get cash you get a drive. Has nothing to do with trusting the next person, it has everything to do with covering your own expense.
post #13 of 28 Old May 21st, 2014, 08:11 PM
K1w1

Garage
If I don't get to drive, I won't buy. It's as simple as that.

I would expect the owner to come along and I'd even go so far as handing over my DL for the duration of the drive but there's no way I'd go through the hassle of getting $$$ without a drive.

Why do I love motorsport??? Because with Football, Soccer and Golf you only need one ball!!!

Basic bolt-ons + 4.10 rear, Eiback springs, J-Mod, SCT SF3 with a TrickTuners tune
post #14 of 28 Old May 21st, 2014, 08:20 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

I have bought and sold vehicles. When I sold the mustang, I let three people drive it, and I gave one person a ride in it. The three that drove it, pretty well babied it. Sure they leaned on it in one gear but that was it.

The one person I gave a ride in it. I asked him if he wanted to see what it would do, or lie to him and tell him I drive it like a grandpa. He said the first. I rolled into it in first and the powershifted second and into 3rd then let off.

When I bought my two motorcycles, I let the other person hold the cash and we had an agreement that if I wrecked it, I bought it. I had a couple friends go with for those transactions.

2002 Sonic Blue GT - Full bolt ons - Sold

DD: 2005 Ford F250 Powerstroke. Leveled, 35x12.50's. 4 inch exhaust, EGR delete, S&B intake, ZF-6 swapped, Southbend clutch.

Toy: '06 CBR1000rr - Hauls the mail.

1987 5.0 5 speed TTOP.
post #15 of 28 Old May 21st, 2014, 11:05 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

I offer a test ride and show them the manners of the car. I also usually keep records and reciepts on my cars so I share that with them. If they are interested and want to test drive it - I like to see proof that they are serious - meaning cash in hand and ID. The buyer usually doesn't object - it's a little process I go through.

'99 SVT Cobra - Built 4.6l, HP Blower Cams, Novi 2000 (8-Rib), RPM T-56, SRA Swap
'88 5.0 GT Hatchback - H/C/I/E
'99 C5 Corvette FRC - H/C/I/E + Suspension
'05 F150 FX4 - Stock
'02 Mustang GT - I/E, 4.10s, Suspension SOLD
post #16 of 28 Old May 22nd, 2014, 12:47 AM
Enthusiast

I'm sorry but a simple bolt on vert is slow these days. Most newer V6 family sedans would probably pull ya. If someone wants a fast joyride they'd be looking at a a stroker foxbody, supercharged GT, or the obvious Termi. Just ride along with them and you're good.

Just don't make the mistake my brother did. He was selling a 99 GT with only catback. Younger guy and his wife showed up and the guy drive while my brother rode along. My bro thought he had a good "feel" for the guy and he was motivated to sell, so after the ride along he offered the guy to take it out alone in case the guy needed a few to talk it over with his wife. They took longer than they should have and returned and weren't interested. After the guy left my bro noticed the rear tires were tore the hell up.
post #17 of 28 Old May 22nd, 2014, 02:57 AM
MM Fanatic

A 260hp (+15-20hp for bolt ons) - Vert is fast? LMAO thats funny. My wifes AWD Turbo 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe comes stock near 300hp and will womp bolt on new edge cars. The turbo power curve alone leaves you wanting to push the gas pedal over and over lol.

1999 GT 630rwhp on pump, TFS Heads, MMR 4.75L, Highly Modified Kenne Bell 2.1 @ 20lbs, Custom Intercooler, JLT High Boost CAI, CMS Custom TFS Specific Cams, 3.55s, MGW, T56
post #18 of 28 Old May 22nd, 2014, 08:03 AM
tits on a bull

Quote:
Originally Posted by blown 02 View Post
Those are almost the same words a man told my friend when he wanted to buy his Suzuki 1300r. Then the man took it for a test drive and total it after siding into a tree. Man just walked away and left my buddy with a useless bike. My buddy had to take him to small claims court. I don't know how it turn out.
My car is stroked, cams, ported heads and blown. I want cash in hand if you want to drive. It you don't want it you get your money back. If you wreck it you get nothing. If you don't have cash you get a ride and when you get cash you get a drive. Has nothing to do with trusting the next person, it has everything to do with covering your own expense.
i understand that, but now u expect that guy to trust that you'll give his money back if he decides not to buy it. or if something breaks that isn't his fault. it's a tough spot, and everyone will be comfortable doing different things. i'd never buy a vehicle without a test drive or with paying first, i don't mind giving id or whatever tho. every situation will be different, depends on vibe from buyer/seller.

---------- Post added at 07:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:51 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason4.6GT View Post
When I bought my two motorcycles, I let the other person hold the cash and we had an agreement that if I wrecked it, I bought it. I had a couple friends go with for those transactions.
would u be comfortable with that? i mean even if u did wreck it, or just wanted your friends to take the money back, the guy would be screwed. i guess i've been pretty lucky. i bought my bike cash, almost $10k, and he let me ride it. but we were at his parents house, who were there and looked pretty nervous, and my dad was there helping me load it.

my friend test drove a bike he was looking at and during the test ride the clutch cable broke. the owner got all pissed saying he owes him this or that. well, the cable was totally rusted through and was just time to snap. if he had the money, he woulda tried to keep it. that's why i'd never give money until a transaction is being made. in court, if you give money, i would expect that would be considered a sale. and i wouldn't wanna chance that.

---------- Post added at 08:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:58 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitmare67 View Post
A 260hp (+15-20hp for bolt ons) - Vert is fast? LMAO thats funny. My wifes AWD Turbo 2014 Hyundai Santa Fe comes stock near 300hp and will womp bolt on new edge cars. The turbo power curve alone leaves you wanting to push the gas pedal over and over lol.
ya, i was kinda thinkin same thing. people don't really have same idea of power. not to offend op but just in general. friend let her brother drive her 07, just cams, gear, and tune, and he spun out into a pole. and that was 330 at the wheels i think. u can just imagine what 500-600 at the wheels would be like. people hit the gas and don't expect to spin the tires in 2nd and 3rd gears. those situations are different. that's why very few people have driven my car, makes me very nervous. not cuz they mean to, but they just don't know what they're getting into.

built and blown.
Mod List
post #19 of 28 Old May 22nd, 2014, 09:26 AM
Enthusiast

Not trying to get to far off OP topic but understandable. But I have to protect my investment. You drive when I have cash. If a clutch cable breaks or a tire goes flat, yes you get your money back, thing happens. If you slam it into a curve or put it in a ditch you get nothing. When people bring money, that let me know that they are interest in buying the car and not just looking for a fast joy ride. Everybody isn't good drivers and when you have 605rwhp on tap they do want to feel it. I have to cover myself if the guy decide to walk if he wreck it because the insurance company isn't.

Over here if you want to test drive a new ford fusion, Taurus, f150 or focus the dealership will just throw you the keys. If you want to test drive a new mustang 5.0 they make you do a credit check to make sure you can afford it before you get the keys. (local ford dealership)
post #20 of 28 Old May 22nd, 2014, 12:59 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Wow. Thanks to everyone for answers all over the map! Reminds me that when I sold my 2004 Wrangler I let a guy drive it and he came back with mud ground into the tops of the front and back bumpers - quite the feat on a lifted Wrangler. Guess he had to check out its extreme four wheeling capabilities.

At least putting the car on Craigslist weeds out the drive-by idiots...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page