Rear end help please - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old June 15th, 2014, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Regular

Rear end help please

I own a 2000 Mustang Gt. The car has 3.73 gears in it that were either installed by a shop or the previous owner. I have always heard what sounds like gear whine or a bad wheel bearing. Only owned the car for 4 months. Fast forward till today while my dad and I were doing some car work I noticed a huge amount of brake dust on my rear passenger rim. Looked a little closer and the rotor is completely like gone and my brakes look like there is none left. There is a layer of metal shavings along the inner side of my rim which is probably from the brakes/Rotor. I already have new Ford racing bearings I had bought to do this job. My question now is do you think the axle is probably useless now? And any tips for the job?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old June 15th, 2014, 09:34 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

It sounds like your caliper has seized up. I just had this happen to me, but it's an easy fix.

2002 GT - 5 Speed
Novi 1000 @ 9 psi
Mods in My Garage
post #3 of 22 Old June 15th, 2014, 09:40 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

This shouldn't have hurt your axle, just your rotor, pads and probably your caliper is fried.

The rear calipers have a ratcheting mechanism that's used for the parking brake, likely that got jammed. I'd get some new rear calipers but also make sure its not the parking brake cable for that side that got jammed.

2002 GT/Auto/Vert
2.1 KB 12psi/2600 MAF/75mm Accufab TB
BE Tuner/PopsRacing
Silverfox VB/Circle D 3400 CV/Steeda LCA's+Subs
Control Boost from ControlBoost.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old June 15th, 2014, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Regular

It may have, I do have spare calipers but have no clue when it comes to bleeding the brakes and getting pressure back. Can't you just squeeze the line before you disconnect it to keep the pressure from escaping then put it back on the new one?

One detail I left out was that it looks like the top of the rear passenger tire is leaning inwards and the bottom is coming out. So does that definitely point to it being the wheel bearing?
post #5 of 22 Old June 15th, 2014, 09:48 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Your wheel bearing is probably fine. The whine you hear is probably from the gears. Mine whine when I'm coasting in gear, but it's not really a big deal, very few people can set up gears and not have any whine at all.

2002 GT - 5 Speed
Novi 1000 @ 9 psi
Mods in My Garage
post #6 of 22 Old June 15th, 2014, 10:16 PM
Doc

You would still need to bleed the brakes if you squeeze the line. You need to fill the new caliper (and it sounds like you need one) with brake fluid. The gears are probably just shimmed incorrectly and I think your wheel bearing is fine. You are having classic symptoms of a stuck caliper like the others said.

post #7 of 22 Old June 15th, 2014, 10:39 PM
MM Fanatic

I thought the wheel bearing on my GT was going bad till I noticed the calipers were sticky. I replaced both sides just as general principle and all my "bearing noise" went away.

Fix what you know is broken first... Because the rotor is shot and the pads are full of dust, I'll say it's your caliper not your emergency brake. The Ebrake is a simple drum brake inside the rotor hat, so I doubt it's that, but that could be bad as well. May as well look while you're in it. A good sign is if the rotor comes off easily, it means your ebrake isn't stuck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAL View Post
woodman: achieving the impossible since 1967. 1973? 1980? 1985? 1976? whatever, you get my point
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWAL View Post
ford's advertising slogan was literally "you can pay for all of it today or you can go fuck yourself"
post #8 of 22 Old June 15th, 2014, 10:56 PM
Doc

Also, on a side note.. don't even try and mess with putting the e brake cable back on the caliper if you decide to keep it. It is damn near impossible. lol

post #9 of 22 Old June 16th, 2014, 12:14 AM
Regular

dont squeeze the brake lines. go to autozone and get the vacume pump and you can bleed them yourself. just fill the brake chamber and squeeze the trigger and it removes the air and sucks fluid through the line.

Ol gold mare
post #10 of 22 Old June 16th, 2014, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
Regular

Alright i guess I'll be doing the brakes today then. What would cause my rear tire to lean so much inward though? The other rear tire doesn't lean nowhere near as much as the passenger side.

Edit: Outside messing with the brakes and the outer part of the rotor that you can see is gone but the inside of the rotor is practically brand new not even a single groove in it. Someone mentioned an emergency brake possibly being stuck. Is that what would cause a problem similar to this? My emergency brake handle ripped through the bolt that holds it to the body a few weeks after I got the car and I kinda rigged it with a washer a two bolts so it wouldn't pull through.

Last edited by ShiftinGT; June 16th, 2014 at 10:40 AM.
post #11 of 22 Old June 16th, 2014, 11:53 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftinGT View Post

One detail I left out was that it looks like the top of the rear passenger tire is leaning inwards and the bottom is coming out. So does that definitely point to it being the wheel bearing?
Unfortunately if the wheel bearing is shot enough to let the wheel lean in like that you might have problems with the housing end and very likely that axle is shot because the bearing surface on it will be toast.

I'd also expect to be dumping oil out of the tube because the seal will be fried also. If the axle worked all the way through the bearing race then your housing end could be damaged also if the axle rubbed on it.

You need to pull that axle out and take a close look at everything, hopefully the housing end didn't get damaged.

2002 GT/Auto/Vert
BE Tuner/PopsRacing
post #12 of 22 Old June 16th, 2014, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Regular

I have pictures of the pads. The one that is completely gone was on the outside and the one that has a lot of life on it but looks corroded or something was on the inside. Would that have cause the top of the tire to lean inwards? And a pic of the brake dust that accumulated before I noticed.

post #13 of 22 Old June 16th, 2014, 06:11 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by HMUSN View Post
Also, on a side note.. don't even try and mess with putting the e brake cable back on the caliper if you decide to keep it. It is damn near impossible. lol
I replaced my right rear caliper last Friday and that was the hardest part, but I finally got it after about 20 minutes.

2002 GT - 5 Speed
Novi 1000 @ 9 psi
Mods in My Garage
post #14 of 22 Old June 16th, 2014, 08:03 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver GT View Post
I replaced my right rear caliper last Friday and that was the hardest part, but I finally got it after about 20 minutes.
I saw a tip somewhere to grab the end of the knob on the cable end with the tip of a pair of vice grips and then use a big flat screw driver to pry against the vice grips to get it on and off. That worked pretty well for me, 30 secs or so.

2002 GT/Auto/Vert
BE Tuner/PopsRacing
post #15 of 22 Old June 16th, 2014, 09:11 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalBoy101 View Post
I saw a tip somewhere to grab the end of the knob on the cable end with the tip of a pair of vice grips and then use a big flat screw driver to pry against the vice grips to get it on and off. That worked pretty well for me, 30 secs or so.
That's basically what I did, it just took me a minute to figure it out. On my first attempt, I almost put a screwdriver through my palm trying to pry that lever open.

2002 GT - 5 Speed
Novi 1000 @ 9 psi
Mods in My Garage
post #16 of 22 Old June 21st, 2014, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Regular

So been busy all week and the bolts that hold the caliper bracket on were a pita but i just got them off and took a quick video and wondered if this is a sign of a bad wheel bearing. It moves back and forth and makes a noise when you turn it.
post #17 of 22 Old June 21st, 2014, 09:59 AM
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver GT View Post
That's basically what I did, it just took me a minute to figure it out. On my first attempt, I almost put a screwdriver through my palm trying to pry that lever open.
Lol Yeah I got my self pretty good a few months ago doing this lol

Teskid block 20 over all forged stroker kit Crower stage 2 blower cams Trickflow track heat heads stainless steel headers

http://youtu.be/9W7MKjLDJRo
post #18 of 22 Old June 21st, 2014, 10:07 AM
At the Apex pulling 1.28g

Send a message via Yahoo to Whiskey11
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiftinGT View Post
So been busy all week and the bolts that hold the caliper bracket on were a pita but i just got them off and took a quick video and wondered if this is a sign of a bad wheel bearing. It moves back and forth and makes a noise when you turn it.
Is this a sign of a bad wheel bearing? - YouTube
Moving in and out is fine, that is the play in a normal 8.8 axle due to the C-Clip design. It might be a sign that your T-Lok needs rebuilt if it is too much play (no idea what that number is, it's in the service manuals somewhere IIRC.

The other noise doesn't sound normal to me though... should be a smooth whirring noise. Only way to really know is to pull the axles.

2015 Mustang GT/PP Autocross Build Thread:
https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...-pp-build.html
post #19 of 22 Old June 21st, 2014, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Regular

Yeah looks like that's what i'll be spending all day on haha, probably more than that. Hopefully I won't break that ABS sensor that sits near the dust cover
post #20 of 22 Old June 21st, 2014, 12:34 PM Thread Starter
Regular

What size bolt is the one that holds the locking pin in?dont wanna strip it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page