Clutch pedal adjustment? - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old August 9th, 2014, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

Clutch pedal adjustment?

Is there a way to adjust how far up the clutch pedal comes when it is fully released? It seems that mine is allowing the clutch fork to slide back too far and causing a slight squeeling noise when the clutch pedal fully released. if I just push the pedal maybe a quarter of an inch the noise goes away. I know it's not the tob cause it's brand new and it doesn't make any noise at all other than when the pedal is fully disengaged. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old August 9th, 2014, 06:41 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Send a message via Skype™ to StangAddiction
It sounds like you're wanting the clutch cable to be under tension at all times. My pedal has maybe a 1/4" of free movement like you describe before it begins pulling the cable and I have no noises going on. I have doubts that the clutch fork supposedly moving too far is the problem. I don't think the cable is supposed maintain tension on the fork at all times.

USN - E5
-------
1999 GT: 2 Spun Rod Bearings
2007 Cadillac CTS-V: Bone stock
post #3 of 16 Old August 9th, 2014, 08:23 PM
Regular

Is your TOB from Ford? Aftermarket TOBs are notorious for squeaking prematurely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old August 9th, 2014, 08:38 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

If the tob is squeaking, its "bad". It may very well last a long time afterwards though. Mine makes noise when pressed in.

Procharged 2000 5 Speed BAB GT, built motor, blower cams, 10 lbs, lee blankenship tune 430/405

HARDCORE CREW

BRIGHT ATLANTIC BLUE CREW #1 MEMBER
post #5 of 16 Old August 9th, 2014, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace87 View Post
Is your TOB from Ford? Aftermarket TOBs are notorious for squeaking prematurely.
I bought one from advance auto its moog. it literaly has like 150 miles on it.

---------- Post added at 09:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by StangAddiction View Post
It sounds like you're wanting the clutch cable to be under tension at all times. My pedal has maybe a 1/4" of free movement like you describe before it begins pulling the cable and I have no noises going on. I have doubts that the clutch fork supposedly moving too far is the problem. I don't think the cable is supposed maintain tension on the fork at all times.
That is what i was wondering about, this is a fresh install and it only makes noise when moving and in gear, it makes no noise when sitting in neutral.... I didn't know whether the fork could go back to far or not, thanks for the info! reps!

---------- Post added at 09:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustanginky View Post
If the tob is squeaking, its "bad". It may very well last a long time afterwards though. Mine makes noise when pressed in.
Thanks man i just wasn't sure about the noise, kinda pisses me off though considering i paid 30 bucks for it and thought buying a quality "usa" bearing from moog wouldn't fail! Reps!

The usual bolt on's..
post #6 of 16 Old August 9th, 2014, 09:30 PM
Burner

just a note.... the moog wheel bearings I just bought and put on are not made in American.... kind of dissapointing

99 Mustang GT Laser Red ( Faded )
Borla Stingers S-Type, K&N,
Koni Sport Yellows, H&R Super Race
18x9.5 XXR 265/35 R18 Dunlop ZII
Corbeau CR1's
post #7 of 16 Old August 9th, 2014, 10:16 PM
Regular

MM makes a clutch pedal height adjustment kit. Jegs has the identical kit as well. It's a simple mod, I like it very much and have my clutch pedal the same height as my brake pedal. It works well with my quick release quadrant, I get the same range, over a shorter distance of pedal travel.

T-trimmed black 99 GT
Cobra SB, 44cc TF heads, HP292 cams, RR intake, T56
21 psi @ 7k , 10.327/136.14/1.417
post #8 of 16 Old September 3rd, 2014, 10:31 AM
Bury the speedo or bust

need some help please, So my clutch cable snapped at the quadrant needed 1 quick so went to advance got the zoom clutch cable/quadrant then watched the how to video on you tube and then I installed it to spec. Problem is the cable barely goes through the fork and the nut just barely threads on which causes the clutch to release at the top and it's slipping a but due to this. I tried using a pry bar to pry the clutch fork and adjust the nut to the center or even 3 quarter way out but then the car wont move when releasing the clutch. Its like the clutch is always depressed. Hope someone can give some input
post #9 of 16 Old September 3rd, 2014, 02:30 PM
Regular

Are you sure they gave you the right cable? Have you adjusted the length to be the same as your old cable?

T-trimmed black 99 GT
Cobra SB, 44cc TF heads, HP292 cams, RR intake, T56
21 psi @ 7k , 10.327/136.14/1.417
post #10 of 16 Old September 3rd, 2014, 02:39 PM
Best Buy Autotech

I was able to force my stock quadrant 2 clicks and it kept constant tension and got rid of the TOB squeak my car first had when i bought it. It'll only work for so long and if you bang gears hard enough you might have to do it often. go ahead and get a qaudrant and firewall adjuster

03 GT - Built motor - Going turbo
Prev stock motor: Nitrous [email protected]
Motor - [email protected]
RCSB 01 Silverado - Bolt ons - DD
post #11 of 16 Old September 9th, 2014, 09:34 AM
Bury the speedo or bust

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyG View Post
Are you sure they gave you the right cable? Have you adjusted the length to be the same as your old cable?

Thanks for the help. and yes I checked the length. But now got another issue, First off I have a spec stage 2 plus clutch. So I went got another zoom clutch cable/quadrant just to make sure it was right part and it was I had same problem. So I did a bit of reading found out I should prob. get the stock cable with aluminum quadrant so I did. Same issue. The clutch fork is in the center which basically means the clutch is depressed hince why the car doesn't move at all when pressing the clutch, this is with factory clutch aluminum quadrant so no adjustment. If I put the adjustable cable back in I have to adjust the nuts to the very tip of cable which means the fork is at the end and releases at the very top but still slips. I am gonna try putting in the factory quadrant/gear back in and go from there. Anybody got some advice please, Cause if putting the stock quadrant back in doesn't fix it im kinda at a loss
post #12 of 16 Old September 9th, 2014, 11:23 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Applehead281 View Post
I bought one from advance auto its moog. it literaly has like 150 miles on it.

---------- Post added at 09:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:18 PM ----------

That is what i was wondering about, this is a fresh install and it only makes noise when moving and in gear, it makes no noise when sitting in neutral.... I didn't know whether the fork could go back to far or not, thanks for the info! reps!

---------- Post added at 09:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 PM ----------

Thanks man i just wasn't sure about the noise, kinda pisses me off though considering i paid 30 bucks for it and thought buying a quality "usa" bearing from moog wouldn't fail! Reps!

Ford TOB and cable or nothing. Anything else seems to cause issues.

My Ford TOB has been squeling for 3 years now just a little when not under tension. Clutch is old so I am just waiting for it to go before replacing.

02 Mustang GT , 02 Explorer XLT V8, 02 Explorer XLT V8,(yes, two), 13 Hyundai Sonata SE
post #13 of 16 Old September 13th, 2014, 01:07 AM
Bury the speedo or bust

just a heads up to anyone going to advance to buy there zoom adjustable cable n quadrant for a 99 cobra the quadrant supplied from manufacturer is a fox body quadrant only has 1 hook setting which is so far up it makes the cable too short Finally got mine lined out by just ordering 1 from upr. Just a heads up. zoom cables/quadrant is junk
post #14 of 16 Old September 13th, 2014, 08:16 PM
Enthusiast

A light chirping when no tension is caused by a worn high mileage clutch fork & pivot stud rubbing against each other. That black coating on the OEM stud is long gone and the parts are worn and polished to a mirror finish. The tension keeps the fork from vibrating & rubbing. Betting those parts have around 150k miles on them?

post #15 of 16 Old September 13th, 2014, 11:39 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalman302 View Post
A light chirping when no tension is caused by a worn high mileage clutch fork & pivot stud rubbing against each other. That black coating on the OEM stud is long gone and the parts are worn and polished to a mirror finish. The tension keeps the fork from vibrating & rubbing. Betting those parts have around 150k miles on them?

Mustang T5 Clutch Chirping Squeaking - YouTube
Hey, that's the sound i have! It's probably not my TOB afterall. That would explain why it's lasted so long with the chirp.

02 Mustang GT , 02 Explorer XLT V8, 02 Explorer XLT V8,(yes, two), 13 Hyundai Sonata SE
post #16 of 16 Old September 15th, 2014, 02:31 AM
Bury the speedo or bust

I just noticed same squeaking was able to adjust firewall adjuster and remove the squeak. thanks metalman302
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page