Now for the bottom side. The oil pickup tube got a new o-ring. I also checked pickup to pan clearance with a piece of clay (protip, put plastic over it to keep it from sticking to the pickup.) You place it on the bottom of the pan, bolt it up with the gasket, then unbolt it and measure it with calipers. After some adjustment I got it to my intended depth of 3/8" and bolted everything in place.
Now with all that done it's time to button up the engine. With one last check of the timing and valvetrain, I cleaned up all the surfaces, installed the gaskets, and put dabs of RTV at the joints to the head and pan gasket. Keep in mind you don't want the pan snugged down when putting the timing cover on, otherwise it won't want to go on. It's also a good time to replace the front crank seal while it's still off the engine.
I also got the engine mounts on. The passenger one took some clearancing to get it to line up properly, due to the tolerance on the casting of the block. No big deal.
Next up: balancer install, and all the rear work with the seal, cover, and flywheel.
The balancer needs to be drilled/tapped since the threads were all boogered up anyway.