Coming up on 150k miles - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old April 7th, 2015, 02:33 AM Thread Starter
Another slow GT
 
marxummers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Woodinville, WA
Posts: 661
   
Garage
iTrader: 1 reviews
Coming up on 150k miles

Hey guys, been a while since I've been on the forum. I've been pretty busy with school and the stang has been put on the wait list.

Anyway, I'm coming up on a 150k miles and I wanna do some various tune-up procedures to make sure it's running as well as it can. As of late, I've had a small amount of intermittent missing, idle surges and dying, and front end popping. Feel free to comment on any other areas of the car I should inspect and maybe freshen up.

Let's start with the rough idling and misses. I've had a coil go bad in the past and I replaced it. It seems that another is going bad, but the symptoms are much less prevalent than before. Is there a good chance my coils are tired at this point and I could see benefit from replacing them all? A full set of motorcraft coils is gonna set me back a decent amount of money. Also, any point in cleaning my injectors?

Next, should I be worried about my timing chains and guides? I enjoy spinning my car up during pulls and I wanna make sure that nothing decides to give out and cause me a headache.

Third, when coming to a stop and beginning to roll back (such as resting on a hill) I'll feel a slight creak and shifting front to back movement, almost as if my control arms are moving around. The car just received poly sway bar bushings, x2 ball joints, mm outer tie rods, a new steering rack with inner tie rods, and mm cc plates. The only things I didn't replace were the control arm bushings which I'm regretting now. The bushings do not look worn from the outside.

Any other maintenance tips you can think of would be appreciated too. Thanks for any suggestions.


Full Twisty's Build In Progress.

View my lack of mods here: https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...=view&id=55228
marxummers is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 Old April 7th, 2015, 05:27 PM
Hardcore Devotee
 
cl0udedth0ught's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: GA
Posts: 2,178
             
iTrader: 5 reviews
You could try replacing the boots on the COPS for the idle/surge issues. Rock auto sells motorcraft ones and that fixed my issue the one time. Some of my boots were pretty dry rotted and cracked. May be worth a shot and would be alot cheaper.

As for the creaking sound, did it begin directly after you replaced the other suspension components? I know poly bushings will make some noise if they aren't lubed really well. I doubt its your factory control arms but I could be wrong.





2000 GT - Full Bolt-on's

cl0udedth0ught is offline  
post #3 of 6 Old April 7th, 2015, 06:21 PM
Enthusiast
 
akurma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 921
 
iTrader: 3 reviews
150k? ppfftt just a broken in! 208,200 k on my GT

Oil change
spark plugs wouldn't hurt if they haven't been changed
check your belts and hoses for dry rot

as for your idle surge it could be a coil pack going back or it could be your IAC you can try to clean it but 99% of the time with in a few days it starts acting up again, just purchase one from rock auto don't make the mistake i did and purchase an aftermarket unit. spend the extra money and go OEM motorcraft.
akurma is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 6 Old April 12th, 2015, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Another slow GT
 
marxummers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Woodinville, WA
Posts: 661
   
Garage
iTrader: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl0udedth0ught View Post
You could try replacing the boots on the COPS for the idle/surge issues. Rock auto sells motorcraft ones and that fixed my issue the one time. Some of my boots were pretty dry rotted and cracked. May be worth a shot and would be alot cheaper.

As for the creaking sound, did it begin directly after you replaced the other suspension components? I know poly bushings will make some noise if they aren't lubed really well. I doubt its your factory control arms but I could be wrong.
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look into the cop boots. As for the creaking, it's not so much a sound as a feeling. There is no noise associated with it, just a movement I feel coming to stop or switching direction (i.e. rolling backward at a stop.) I did begin to notice the feeling after the upgrades, but that isn't to say it wasn't going on before. The only poly bushings are in the sway bar and endlinks. The endlinks are not lubed so I'll give that a try. The other bushings are very well lubed.

Could the movement be in the cc plates that I have? They are spherical bearings.

---------- Post added at 11:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:54 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by akurma View Post
150k? ppfftt just a broken in! 208,200 k on my GT

Oil change
spark plugs wouldn't hurt if they haven't been changed
check your belts and hoses for dry rot

as for your idle surge it could be a coil pack going back or it could be your IAC you can try to clean it but 99% of the time with in a few days it starts acting up again, just purchase one from rock auto don't make the mistake i did and purchase an aftermarket unit. spend the extra money and go OEM motorcraft.
Right on! I know 150k isn't too bad, I've just heard of timing chain guides breaking easily. Also, my IAC is definitely clean, it may just be time for a new one like you mentioned. I may also try taking out the plug I have in there to keep the idle from hanging, that's probably the issue. I totally forgot that was even there until now. I've also heard the aftermarket IAC's all suck, so thanks for the suggestion. Mind giving me a little more info on your car? I'd love to hear how that 200k mustang is doing with whatever you've done with it.


Full Twisty's Build In Progress.

View my lack of mods here: https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...=view&id=55228
marxummers is offline  
post #5 of 6 Old April 13th, 2015, 01:06 AM
US Air Force (retired)
 
Eagle2000GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Indiana
Posts: 13,521
                     
Garage
iTrader: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by marxummers View Post
Next, should I be worried about my timing chains and guides? I enjoy spinning my car up during pulls and I wanna make sure that nothing decides to give out and cause me a headache.
I have heard of timing chain guides being totally worn out at 90,000 miles. I cracked a timing chain cover around the 150,000 mark. I thought while it was off I might as well change anything that needed it. The timing chain guides showed very little wear. That pretty much convinced me of the merits of full-synthetic oil.

ProCharger P-1SC, 9 psi, STD 396/383; Uncorrected 388/375; SAE 383/370.
Ret. USAF 1969-1973,1980-1996: Vietnam veteran. Aircraft maintenance. R & D, ICBM Operations.
Also own: 1997 Harley FXDWG, 1998 F-150, and 2002 Corvette LS1
Eagle2000GT is offline  
post #6 of 6 Old April 24th, 2015, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
Another slow GT
 
marxummers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Woodinville, WA
Posts: 661
   
Garage
iTrader: 1 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle2000GT View Post
I have heard of timing chain guides being totally worn out at 90,000 miles. I cracked a timing chain cover around the 150,000 mark. I thought while it was off I might as well change anything that needed it. The timing chain guides showed very little wear. That pretty much convinced me of the merits of full-synthetic oil.
My dad always tells me I'm wasting my money running ful syn (5W-30) and about 6.5 qts every 3000 miles, and I always pretend I know more than him. But your experience definitely makes me feel good about what I've been doing. Thanks a lot for your input Eagle! I always appreciate the insight you have to give.


Full Twisty's Build In Progress.

View my lack of mods here: https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...=view&id=55228
marxummers is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome