Tire recommendation - Page 2 - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 28 Old June 26th, 2015, 03:03 AM
Regular

I think people need to be more specific with Sumitomo tires. The HTR Z, HTR Z II, and HTR Z III are very different tires. In fact, I have yet to hear a single complaint about HTR Z III's. They outrank Hankook Ventus V12's on Tire Rack, and many people have recommended them as the best bang for the buck performance summer tires. Now, I can't say anything close to the same for the HTR Z or HTR Z II. I have heard many complaints about those

But, I also recommend Michelin PSS's. You literally cannot go wrong with them unless you're using them in cold temperatures

2003 Mustang GT Auto Convertible
K&N FIPK CAI, Flowmaster Super 44's, BAMA SCT Chip, Pioneer & JL Audio, Remote Start, Retrofitted HID's (incoming!), MM FLSFC's, 4.10 FRPP gears (planned), Aesthetics
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 28 Old June 26th, 2015, 01:14 PM
Regular

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwang21 View Post
I think people need to be more specific with Sumitomo tires. The HTR Z, HTR Z II, and HTR Z III are very different tires. In fact, I have yet to hear a single complaint about HTR Z III's. They outrank Hankook Ventus V12's on Tire Rack, and many people have recommended them as the best bang for the buck performance summer tires. Now, I can't say anything close to the same for the HTR Z or HTR Z II. I have heard many complaints about those

But, I also recommend Michelin PSS's. You literally cannot go wrong with them unless you're using them in cold temperatures
You're right. There are three versions of the HTR Zs. On my previous car ('03 V6), I had HTR Z IIs all-round. Grip was excellent when new on dry tarmac. Scary when wet - in fact, I spun out and wrecked that Mustang.

On my current car ('99 GT), the previous owner had HTR Z IIIs on the rears and they didn't hook up even in the dry. Kept kicking in the TCS when I accelerate hard - not even WOT. So yes, I cannot recommend HTR Z II or III unless these are the only tires that would fit your budget. Unfortunately, I have no experience on HTR Z.

Fortunately, I am running Michelin PSS now and it grips to everything (street and track). TCS never activated regardless of how hard I launch the car. Braking performance improved. Loss most of the wheel-hop I was getting and helps with my confidence when I was driving in the rain. Definitely worth the money/credit card debt! Lol!

1999 GT Dark Green Satin
post #23 of 28 Old June 27th, 2015, 12:35 AM
MM Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownstang View Post
I have complaints about them. They're horrible in the rain and don't hook at half throttle on my bone stock auto Mach 1. I bought the car with the tires on it. There is about 50% tread left. Slightly more throttle in the rain and they spin. At 20mph if I nail it they spin and the car bounced off the limiter. The BFG KDW II's I have on the GT which had 411rwhp are great. They never spin in the rain off a stop. Never hydroplaned. Can lay into it full throttle in second and they just grabbed. Could ease into it up to 3/4 throttle in 1st gear in the rain and they wouldn't spin. I really had to try to make them spin. First time I drove the Mach in the rain I was extremely disappointed with the Nitto 555's. I've been extremely happy with BFG tires over the last 10 years of owning a Mustang. Cut a 1.67 60' on BFG drag radials. For street use the Gforce Sport and KDW II's have been great. Its hard for me to try different tires since these have been so good. Just bought Gforce sports for the front of the Mach. Rear will be getting DR's but not until the mods go on. The Mach will not be daily driven so that's why its getting a DR. With the GT being back to stock I haven't once spun or chirped the BFGs at WOT. Only if I side step the clutch will they turn over.
I hope they are better than the g sports. I have them and in dry they are great, wet... not so much with 446hp and a kb at times I can barely hit throttle without feeling like I am on ice. tires have less than 2k on them. I do love them on dry thou

KB'd 446rwhp/451rwtq, Mustang Dyno http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZDpQ0EEm1M
Tuned by Joe at http://www.tricktuners.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #24 of 28 Old June 27th, 2015, 11:47 AM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by limited View Post
I hope they are better than the g sports. I have them and in dry they are great, wet... not so much with 446hp and a kb at times I can barely hit throttle without feeling like I am on ice. tires have less than 2k on them. I do love them on dry thou
The KDW II is better than the Gforce sport for the rears, but with that much power you'll be on ice with any tire if you lay into the throttle. I'd have fun with them sometimes in the rain. I'd hammer it and just spin them and not move, but under normal driving they are great. Never hydroplane or slide when taking a turn when it's wet and to spin them I'd really have to blip the throttle kind of far. You also have a twin screw so the instant boost hit doesn't help you. Mine is a centri so it lays in gradually.

2004 DSG Mustang Mach 1 4r75w - 508/436 on E85. 460/396 on 93. Intercooled Vortech V1 S trim, Circle D 4c converter, BCA valve body, VRS o/r x pipe. 11.37 @ 120.8 mph 1.63 60'
post #25 of 28 Old June 28th, 2015, 06:49 PM
MM Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by blownstang View Post
The KDW II is better than the Gforce sport for the rears, but with that much power you'll be on ice with any tire if you lay into the throttle. I'd have fun with them sometimes in the rain. I'd hammer it and just spin them and not move, but under normal driving they are great. Never hydroplane or slide when taking a turn when it's wet and to spin them I'd really have to blip the throttle kind of far. You also have a twin screw so the instant boost hit doesn't help you. Mine is a centri so it lays in gradually.
yeah I wanted the KDW II's but in 245 and 275/17 only KDW was avail.

KB'd 446rwhp/451rwtq, Mustang Dyno http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ZDpQ0EEm1M
Tuned by Joe at http://www.tricktuners.com
post #26 of 28 Old June 28th, 2015, 08:07 PM
Enthusiast

I had nitto 555s and probably lost count of how many times they almost got me killed in the rain. They were decent sumer tires, but i wouldnt recommend them to anyone.
I now have continental dws as per Eagle's recommendation, and wow! They are good in light snow, rain, and even hook better than the nittos when its hot out.

FrankenStang
| 2001 GT Automatic | Kenne Bell 2.1L Intercooled | Bullitt Brakes | Magnaflows & O/R H | Mach 1 Hood | Cobra Bumper and IRS | 2010 Gt500 Wheels | Tuned by DGR Performance |
393 rwhp ~ 412 ft/lbs @9psi

post #27 of 28 Old June 30th, 2015, 01:06 AM
Regular

@macuser27 , that's certainly interesting regarding the HTR Z III's. I've heard a lot of people say they grip very similarly to the PS2's in the dry, so I'm not sure what was going on with your tires. HTR Z II's I've heard too many complaints about grip in the wet lol no one says that about the HTR Z III's though

I've also heard a lot of people saying the Nitto 555's suck in the rain. Eric508 you can't go wrong with Conti DWS lol they're the top rated all seasons out there right now

2003 Mustang GT Auto Convertible
K&N FIPK CAI, Flowmaster Super 44's, BAMA SCT Chip, Pioneer & JL Audio, Remote Start, Retrofitted HID's (incoming!), MM FLSFC's, 4.10 FRPP gears (planned), Aesthetics
post #28 of 28 Old June 30th, 2015, 11:53 AM
Regular

I've got the Firestone Firehawk Wide Oval 500 on my stock Cobra R wheels. 245 on the front 275 on the rear.

They are wearing good. Nice tire and look cool with a flame tread.

Tire recommendation-firehawk.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page