Drone for days.... - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 27 Old June 15th, 2015, 05:58 PM Thread Starter
It's not easy being green!

Drone for days....

Time for the millionth exhaust thread guys. So right now I'm running stock manifolds leading into a UPR X-pipe which has some Flowmaster style mufflers (previous owner put some knock off shorty style like Flowmaster 10's on it, sounds the same as Flows), which are then dumped before the axle. At times I love it but it has a ton of drone and at highway speeds I can barely hold a conversation. I've been recommended a straight through style like SLP Loudmouth 2's or Pypes M80's and thinking of going Pypes because of the cost and because I feel SLP would be too loud. I want it loud but also when I want to cruise or listen to my radio, just put in 4th or 5th and be bearable.

So what muffler would you recommend? I've watched about every youtube video on muffler combos but need some advice. Since a straight through muffler is essentially a pipe with a resonator, I've been told most of the noise will come out the back instead of reverberate in the cabin. That's basically what I want. Loud and mean, but no cabin noise!

Just a bolt on 2V <3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old June 15th, 2015, 06:04 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Anything not chambered will be better, but a catted h or x pipe would also help

Procharged 2000 5 Speed BAB GT, built motor, blower cams, 10 lbs, lee blankenship tune 430/405

HARDCORE CREW

BRIGHT ATLANTIC BLUE CREW #1 MEMBER
post #3 of 27 Old June 15th, 2015, 06:13 PM
Regular

Pypes m80, probably the best 80$ I ever spent. Sound great with the UPR o/r x pipe and with the stock catted mid pipe. Very little drone compared to those flowmasters.

2000 GT
Mods: BBK CAI, Typhoon Intake Manifold, PP throttle body/Plenum, Underdrive pulleys, Weight reduction, 3.73, J&M UCA, MM LCA, MGW shifter, Pypes M80, UPR O/R X Pipe, BBK spring isloators, MM pinion snuubber,AC delete
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 27 Old June 15th, 2015, 06:24 PM
Enthusiast

Garage
This is probably not what you're looking at but I have an o/r prochamber with flowmasters and my car has absolutely no drone. However, compared to my friends cars with o/r x pipes, my car is relatively quiet.
post #5 of 27 Old June 15th, 2015, 06:38 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

I have a UPR catted x with a magnapack catback and there is very little drone, not enough to complain about.

2002 GT - 5 Speed
Novi 1000 @ 9 psi
Mods in My Garage
post #6 of 27 Old June 15th, 2015, 07:59 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Custom "resonators" did the trick for me they're not pretty but they work
post #7 of 27 Old June 15th, 2015, 08:41 PM

Wtf do you have going on??

"Happiness is being blown and stroked at the same time"
V6 => Teksid 302 stroker
Caitlyn Jenner swapped
My Build Thread click link
https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...shs-build.html
post #8 of 27 Old June 15th, 2015, 08:41 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

I still love my Borla stingers,upr o/r xpipe and stock manifolds.

Mods:
TFS Track Heat intake,Dragon 75mm tb,Vortech V2 S-Trim 3.33 pulley,Paxton fmic,Anderson power pipe,CPR fuel rails, Lethal Performance upgraded fuel lines,Deatschwerks DW300 fuel pump,60# injectors,UPR O/R xpipe, Borla Stinger catback
post #9 of 27 Old June 15th, 2015, 09:25 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froush View Post
Haha weird science stuff I'll find a link to explain. It actually works
post #10 of 27 Old June 15th, 2015, 09:26 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Cats will tone it down. My super 44s drone a bit around 1800-1900 but that's it.

Matthew 26:52-54 / Go Pack Go!

2001 GT Convertible - D1SC / Cammed / Geared / 440wh 400wt

1994 V6 Convetible - Stock

2009 Malibu LTZ - Stock
post #11 of 27 Old June 15th, 2015, 09:31 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froush View Post
Here's the link sometime when you have lots of time read thru it.

Exhaust Drone is Completely Gone - Ford Mustang Forums : Corral.net Mustang Forum
post #12 of 27 Old June 15th, 2015, 09:41 PM
US Air Force (retired)

Garage
I hated my original Flowmaster 40s. Loud and drone are not the same thing. Drone is a resonating frequency that just kills your ears. Typically it is worse at highway speeds, 1800-2200 rpm. You don't have to do an elaborate exhaust to get ride of drone. Just get rid of the cause... the Flowmaster mufflers.

Magnaflow and the original Flowmaster 40s have basically the same decibel level yet Magnaflows don't drone while Flowmasters do. After two years I had the Flowmasters cut out and Magnaflow mufflers welded in. I couldn't be happier.
http://ls1tech.com/forums/generation...al-street.html
http://www.mustangandfords.com/parts...o-numbers.html

Magnaflows are a straight through muffler. Not a resonator but a muffler.
http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/02muffler.asp

ProCharger P-1SC, 9 psi, STD 396/383; Uncorrected 388/375; SAE 383/370.
Ret. USAF 1969-1973,1980-1996: Vietnam veteran. Aircraft maintenance. R & D, ICBM Operations.
Also own: 1997 Harley FXDWG, 1998 F-150, and 2002 Corvette LS1
post #13 of 27 Old June 15th, 2015, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
It's not easy being green!

Thanks for all the input guys! I know the main problem is the mufflers. @Eagle2000GT , what magnaflows do you recommend? I have only heard great things from them and specifically the magnapacks but I also am on considerate budget. I see the catbacks can run several hundred and max I really don't want to spend over 200 for mufflers. Which is why after some slight research the M80's seemed like a great deal and almost identical for the loudmouths but half the cost.... Any and all recommendations is taken into consideration. Also links to anything helps too!

And for the record I actually don't HATE the sound of Flows, they're just so common and drone way too much. My dad has one on his F-150 and I've been in several cars with them. My dad's drones but not as bad as mine. But I know a guy with an SRT8 Charger and LOVE the sound it makes on that...

Just a bolt on 2V <3
post #14 of 27 Old June 15th, 2015, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mootang View Post
Haha weird science stuff I'll find a link to explain. It actually works
That's interesting. I would love to try it but with dumps, I doubt it would work. Although, it would be nice to hear the supercharger from inside the car. Haha

"Happiness is being blown and stroked at the same time"
V6 => Teksid 302 stroker
Caitlyn Jenner swapped
My Build Thread click link
https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...shs-build.html
post #15 of 27 Old June 15th, 2015, 10:39 PM

JBA makes a great stainless steel chambered muffler that doesn't drone. I've had their Evol catback since 2008 and its great. Deeper sound than Flowmasters. Had Flowmasters on before and bought a Mach 1 with Flowmasters on it a half year ago. Forgot how bad the drone was.
post #16 of 27 Old June 15th, 2015, 10:43 PM

http://www.mrbodykit.com/index.php?m...cf8fa682612ffe

I'm sure someone else carries it also.
post #17 of 27 Old June 16th, 2015, 01:46 AM
MM Fanatic

I run BBK shorty headers, off road H pipe and flowmaster 40s. I can honestly say I have zero drone. Can easily talk or listen to radio when cruising, but loud deep sound when in the throttle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siko2 View Post
Sometimes when I defecate I use my old play-doh shapes and hold them gently up to my anus. I make poo shapes and present them to my friends and close family.
post #18 of 27 Old June 16th, 2015, 07:25 AM

Slik somwhow your brain must've adapted to the drone frequencies because that setup is a text book drone maker lol.

Procharged 2000 5 Speed BAB GT, built motor, blower cams, 10 lbs, lee blankenship tune 430/405

HARDCORE CREW

BRIGHT ATLANTIC BLUE CREW #1 MEMBER
post #19 of 27 Old June 16th, 2015, 08:44 AM
US Air Force (retired)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01stangV6 View Post
Thanks for all the input guys! I know the main problem is the mufflers. @Eagle2000GT , what magnaflows do you recommend? I have only heard great things from them and specifically the magnapacks but I also am on considerate budget. I see the catbacks can run several hundred and max I really don't want to spend over 200 for mufflers. Which is why after some slight research the M80's seemed like a great deal and almost identical for the loudmouths but half the cost.... Any and all recommendations is taken into consideration. Also links to anything helps too!

And for the record I actually don't HATE the sound of Flows, they're just so common and drone way too much. My dad has one on his F-150 and I've been in several cars with them. My dad's drones but not as bad as mine. But I know a guy with an SRT8 Charger and LOVE the sound it makes on that...
I didn't buy a new catback. I didn't need it. I went to the local muffler shop and had them cut the Flowmasters out and weld the Magnaflows in. They can match the offset needed to fit your current catback. I'm running Magnaflows not Magnapacks. The Flowmasters were killing my ears and I didn't want anything louder.

I'm not the only one to have switched from Flowmaster to Magnaflow. At one time there were a dozen MM members who had done the same.

ProCharger P-1SC, 9 psi, STD 396/383; Uncorrected 388/375; SAE 383/370.
Ret. USAF 1969-1973,1980-1996: Vietnam veteran. Aircraft maintenance. R & D, ICBM Operations.
Also own: 1997 Harley FXDWG, 1998 F-150, and 2002 Corvette LS1
post #20 of 27 Old June 16th, 2015, 11:32 AM
MM Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustanginky View Post
Slik somwhow your brain must've adapted to the drone frequencies because that setup is a text book drone maker lol.
I invite you to come listen to it. My old G8 droned like a mother fucker. Even the wife said this car is quiet when cruising, especially compared to the G8. That G8 was running LTs, Maganflow resonated X, and Solo axle backs with the frequency pipes like posted above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siko2 View Post
Sometimes when I defecate I use my old play-doh shapes and hold them gently up to my anus. I make poo shapes and present them to my friends and close family.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page