Is it my throwout bearing or?? - Forums at Modded Mustangs

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old July 16th, 2015, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
It's not easy being green!

Is it my throwout bearing or??

Alright so after some slight research on the forum, I'm trying to track down a chirping noise coming from the stang'. It sounds like a squeaky belt except it goes away when I engage my clutch. I can literally push my clutch in hardly at all (like less than half an inch), and it goes away. Noise comes back when in neutral and driving. Just a slight chirp...

So ideas? If it is, I read I have to drop my tranny I've never done work like that, can't afford a shop, nor have a lift of ANY kind... being in college sucks sometimes lol

Anyways after responses, and I do lets say need a new one, should I replace anything else while doing the repair? My clutch feels really solid. No slips or grinds of any kind. Just trying to make a list for if I had to do it.

Just a bolt on 2V <3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old July 16th, 2015, 05:12 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

That's obvious signs of throw out bearing. Being hard for money I would just replace that and not touch the clutch. But if you swing it and plan on decent power down the road, I would replace the clutch and everything else. Yes you will need to drop the transmission

"Happiness is being blown and stroked at the same time"
V6 => Teksid 302 stroker
Caitlyn Jenner swapped
My Build Thread click link
https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...shs-build.html
post #3 of 9 Old July 16th, 2015, 05:22 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Froush View Post
That's obvious signs of throw out bearing. Being hard for money I would just replace that and not touch the clutch. But if you swing it and plan on decent power down the road, I would replace the clutch and everything else. Yes you will need to drop the transmission
Yeah I didn't wanna revive a really old thread or I would've posted in that. Other than the clutch and TOB, what else would you reccomend replacing? I can afford a new clutch and TOB (Probably go with a Ford racing replacment, since I've heard ones that come with a clutch kit are crap), but pushing that is where I don't think I can swing it. Like if I had to add a flywheel onto it, etc...

So clutch, TOB, what else?? Thanks! I have a friend who use to work at a Chevy dealer who will be helping me install my brakes and he is super cheap on labor. He should be able to do this and help me.

Edit: I plan on keeping the car a bolt on though. I just want to throw on some M80's to get rid of my drone from my flows but I guess replacing the clutch while I'm doing this wouldn't hurt since I have to drop the tranny for both

Just a bolt on 2V <3
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old July 16th, 2015, 06:59 PM
Regular

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01stangV6 View Post
Yeah I didn't wanna revive a really old thread or I would've posted in that. Other than the clutch and TOB, what else would you reccomend replacing? I can afford a new clutch and TOB (Probably go with a Ford racing replacment, since I've heard ones that come with a clutch kit are crap), but pushing that is where I don't think I can swing it. Like if I had to add a flywheel onto it, etc...

So clutch, TOB, what else?? Thanks! I have a friend who use to work at a Chevy dealer who will be helping me install my brakes and he is super cheap on labor. He should be able to do this and help me.

Edit: I plan on keeping the car a bolt on though. I just want to throw on some M80's to get rid of my drone from my flows but I guess replacing the clutch while I'm doing this wouldn't hurt since I have to drop the tranny for both
New clutch cable if it's the original one. Firewall adjuster. Aluminum quadrant. Clutch fork perhaps.

My TOB is on its way out as well. Not happy with the noise it's making. Other than the noise it does work great.

1999 GT Dark Green Satin
post #5 of 9 Old July 16th, 2015, 07:16 PM
Regular

How many miles? If I am replacing a clutch that has been in the car for awhile then I would change the pilot bearing, pivot stud/ball, and clutch fork too. I would look for ford parts for all of the parts listed, but if you don't want to do all ford at the minimum do ford bearings
post #6 of 9 Old July 16th, 2015, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by macuser27 View Post
New clutch cable if it's the original one. Firewall adjuster. Aluminum quadrant. Clutch fork perhaps.

My TOB is on its way out as well. Not happy with the noise it's making. Other than the noise it does work great.
Alright so TOB, clutch, clutch cable... I'm not a mechanical idiot but I'm not sure what the rest is or does. Would they be be dire need to be replaced or just recommended because the work I'm putting in? Remember.... college kid on a budget lol I can swing the major components but anything that for sure wouldn't need to be replaced I'll manage I suppose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysturbed87 View Post
How many miles? If I am replacing a clutch that has been in the car for awhile then I would change the pilot bearing, pivot stud/ball, and clutch fork too. I would look for ford parts for all of the parts listed, but if you don't want to do all ford at the minimum do ford bearings
A little over 137xxx. So higher mileage.

Just a bolt on 2V <3
post #7 of 9 Old July 16th, 2015, 08:37 PM
Regular

If you plan on using an stock style clutch then I wouldn't worry with the firewall adjuster or aluminum quadrant.

I would definitely do the pilot bearing, pivot stud/ball, and clutch fork though
post #8 of 9 Old July 16th, 2015, 08:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysturbed87 View Post
If you plan on using an stock style clutch then I wouldn't worry with the firewall adjuster or aluminum quadrant.

I would definitely do the pilot bearing, pivot stud/ball, and clutch fork though
Alright I've written down all the parts and found them all. Oh man I dread paying for all this haha.... Anything else misc I might need to know? I plan on buying the parts within the month or early august and doing it in September. I know it can wait less then two months. Just paid for all new brakes and rotors so I need to save a little lol

Reps to everyone for their info!

Edit: and yes I will be replacing it with a stock style clutch! I have no plans nor the funds to throw power at my 2v and if I did, I would probably upgrade to a 4v if I wanted to anyways... One day

Just a bolt on 2V <3
post #9 of 9 Old July 16th, 2015, 09:19 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

try finding a solid pilot bushing rather than the shitty pin bearings they sell. I got one from my clutch guy but im not sure where he gets them. Its just another thing to not go wrong.

"Happiness is being blown and stroked at the same time"
V6 => Teksid 302 stroker
Caitlyn Jenner swapped
My Build Thread click link
https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...shs-build.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page