K-Member decision - worth it? - Page 2 - Forums at Modded Mustangs
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #21 of 44 Old August 6th, 2015, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Columbus, IN
Posts: 979
 
Garage
iTrader: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalBoy101 View Post
Either the tapered or bolt thru bump steer kit will work, the tapered one is easier to install as it directly bolts into the stock spindles.

To use bolt thru ones you have to take the spindles out and drill out the tapered holes to 5/8", this requires a drill press.

The advantage of the drill thru ones is they are stronger but you aren't planning heavy cornering you could live with the easier to install tapered ones.

The other issue on it is making sure the connector sleeve lengths on the kits are the right length for your steering rack. If you are keeping the stock rack the standard kits will probably be correct but if you are switching to a manual rack you may need a kit with longer length connector sleeves.
I dont plan to delete any of my comfort ammenities. So stock rack will stay. I am looking at the UPR extreme kit, or similar kit depending on the packages I can get. I just wish it had an option to get it black like the other kits they have for 05+ and for the fox manual kits.94-04 Mustang Extreme Bumpsteer Kit for Power Rack

2003 Redfire & Black V6. Full suspension, 8.8 w/ 4.10s, tuned. 4.3L stroker + turbo capable of 550 hp soon

1992 5.0 Auto Hatchback...needs wiring, interior, ...basically everything

RIP: 2015 SHO PP, 12.87 @107 1/4 mile
Derfdog15 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #22 of 44 Old August 6th, 2015, 02:31 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast
 
98SnakeHorse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Southeast Iowa
Posts: 1,574
 
Garage
iTrader: 1 reviews
Another happy UPR k-member user here. Fitment was spot on, easy install and great price. Buddy has one aswell on his new edge but a chromoly one with the same results. All purchased within the last year. I also have lowering springs with the mm cc plates and alignment is spot on.


1998 Mustang Cobra [Sold]
2000 Mustang Gt Built/Blown [Sold]

1995 Mustang Gt Built/Turbo [Part-Out]
1998 Mustang Gt Built 2v / Vortech V3 (Budget Blue)
98SnakeHorse is offline  
post #23 of 44 Old August 6th, 2015, 03:04 PM
BYAHHHH!
 
Scott2001GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 18,672
Blog Entries: 1
                     
iTrader: 5 reviews
Check out Team Z, PA Racing, Racecraft. The extra money is worth the quality and customer service.
Scott2001GT is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #24 of 44 Old August 6th, 2015, 03:18 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Columbus, IN
Posts: 979
 
Garage
iTrader: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 98SnakeHorse View Post
Another happy UPR k-member user here. Fitment was spot on, easy install and great price. Buddy has one aswell on his new edge but a chromoly one with the same results. All purchased within the last year. I also have lowering springs with the mm cc plates and alignment is spot on.
Good to hear!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2001GT View Post
Check out Team Z, PA Racing, Racecraft. The extra money is worth the quality and customer service.
Again, the only quality concern that seems relevant is having to massage the tabs for the A-arm mounting and that doesnt really warrant extra cost IMO. I have seen the UPR parts in person and they look gorgeous, I just didnt buy a K-member/coilovers when I initially did my suspension because I didnt think I would be doing an engine swap.

2003 Redfire & Black V6. Full suspension, 8.8 w/ 4.10s, tuned. 4.3L stroker + turbo capable of 550 hp soon

1992 5.0 Auto Hatchback...needs wiring, interior, ...basically everything

RIP: 2015 SHO PP, 12.87 @107 1/4 mile
Derfdog15 is offline  
post #25 of 44 Old August 6th, 2015, 05:13 PM
BYAHHHH!
 
Scott2001GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 18,672
Blog Entries: 1
                     
iTrader: 5 reviews
Your can have the prettiest welds in the word. Doesn't mean it will hold. UPR would be the cheapest k frame I'd get. But there are reasons certain parts cost more. It's not always bc of the brand name.
Scott2001GT is offline  
post #26 of 44 Old August 6th, 2015, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Columbus, IN
Posts: 979
 
Garage
iTrader: 3 reviews
Like I said, I have good experience with UPR and their service and am not too worried about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSG Pate View Post
I ended up going with the UPR Chrome molly setup including A arms ETC. I have to say that it is a pretty solid piece and I am very pleased with it. The welds looked very good, and it bolted up fine. You will only need to upgrade your steering rack bolts because the stock ones will not fit. I bought grade 8 bolts from a local store instead of using their bolts.
That is what I was planning on hardware, unless I can get it thrown in for free as a package

I look forward to the max psi run!

2003 Redfire & Black V6. Full suspension, 8.8 w/ 4.10s, tuned. 4.3L stroker + turbo capable of 550 hp soon

1992 5.0 Auto Hatchback...needs wiring, interior, ...basically everything

RIP: 2015 SHO PP, 12.87 @107 1/4 mile
Derfdog15 is offline  
post #27 of 44 Old August 6th, 2015, 07:24 PM
BYAHHHH!
 
Scott2001GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 18,672
Blog Entries: 1
                     
iTrader: 5 reviews
If you like UPR so much and live close what's the point of this thread. Why not call UPR or walk there and discuss your wants and needs. Seems pretty simple to me?
Scott2001GT is offline  
post #28 of 44 Old August 6th, 2015, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Columbus, IN
Posts: 979
 
Garage
iTrader: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2001GT View Post
If you like UPR so much and live close what's the point of this thread. Why not call UPR or walk there and discuss your wants and needs. Seems pretty simple to me?

I like UPR a lot, yes. BUT I wanted feedback, and had questions (like mild vs. chromoly, how necessary bump steer was, how it fit/how people liked it). I did call UPR and discuss in detail with them, but I like seeing what others think. You seem to not like them, to each their own.

Like I said, I wanted more feedback, which I got - fitment is pretty decent, tabs need massaging, coil-overs are decent. I also wanted to make sure that having coilovers in front and coils in rear wouldnt be a problem - seems to not be. I was able to get clarification on bump steer kits also. So I would say that I gained a lot of knowledge. If my asking questions and trying to get feedback somehow offends you, then thats a personal problem.

2003 Redfire & Black V6. Full suspension, 8.8 w/ 4.10s, tuned. 4.3L stroker + turbo capable of 550 hp soon

1992 5.0 Auto Hatchback...needs wiring, interior, ...basically everything

RIP: 2015 SHO PP, 12.87 @107 1/4 mile
Derfdog15 is offline  
post #29 of 44 Old August 6th, 2015, 09:37 PM
BYAHHHH!
 
Scott2001GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 18,672
Blog Entries: 1
                     
iTrader: 5 reviews
I don't have an issue with them. For a budget k frame it's fine. Delete your sway. Makes life easier for your turbo plans.

http://www.competitionengineering.com/ceb/catalog/navigationPath//{36352}::Mustang%20Bumpsteer%20Adjuster%20Kit.html ?entryId=catalog.productgroup.&expand=true&menuId= main.menu

This is a great bump steer kit.
Scott2001GT is offline  
post #30 of 44 Old August 6th, 2015, 10:15 PM
Formerly whyxitx
 
HiMyNameIsWyatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska.
Posts: 12,083
                 
iTrader: 8 reviews
If you go Team Z, here is what to expect.

https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...front-end.html

I traded my Team Z stuff for MM parts. Still waiting to put them on but i am much happier with the MM stuff already..


2017 Nitrous Blue Focus RS
1993 Ford Ranger

1997 Cobra - SOLD

Professional Door Dildo Remover
HiMyNameIsWyatt is offline  
post #31 of 44 Old August 6th, 2015, 11:41 PM
BYAHHHH!
 
Scott2001GT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 18,672
Blog Entries: 1
                     
iTrader: 5 reviews
I had great success with my Team Z install. The steering rack bolts were a surprise for sure. But easy fix. Otherwise it was very simple.
Scott2001GT is offline  
post #32 of 44 Old August 6th, 2015, 11:43 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Columbus, IN
Posts: 979
 
Garage
iTrader: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2001GT View Post
I don't have an issue with them. For a budget k frame it's fine. Delete your sway. Makes life easier for your turbo plans.

http://www.competitionengineering.com/ceb/catalog/navigationPath//{36352}::Mustang%20Bumpsteer%20Adjuster%20Kit.html ?entryId=catalog.productgroup.&expand=true&menuId= main.menu

This is a great bump steer kit.
Thanks for the info. I was hoping to keep the sway bar if possible since I usually drive on the street and really liked how it made the car feel after I added it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiMyNameIsWyatt View Post
If you go Team Z, here is what to expect.

https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...front-end.html

I traded my Team Z stuff for MM parts. Still waiting to put them on but i am much happier with the MM stuff already..
I saw the review you made a little while back and got a bit scared away. I am currently working on a package deal for the parts I want that consists of all the UPR stuff, so I think ill be good!

2003 Redfire & Black V6. Full suspension, 8.8 w/ 4.10s, tuned. 4.3L stroker + turbo capable of 550 hp soon

1992 5.0 Auto Hatchback...needs wiring, interior, ...basically everything

RIP: 2015 SHO PP, 12.87 @107 1/4 mile
Derfdog15 is offline  
post #33 of 44 Old August 7th, 2015, 12:00 AM
Formerly whyxitx
 
HiMyNameIsWyatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska.
Posts: 12,083
                 
iTrader: 8 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2001GT View Post
I had great success with my Team Z install. The steering rack bolts were a surprise for sure. But easy fix. Otherwise it was very simple.
I had little to no luck with putting mine in. Everything bolted up dune but the little things were annoying. Mostly how the bumpsteer wouldn't work. I traded straight across for MM stuff though.


2017 Nitrous Blue Focus RS
1993 Ford Ranger

1997 Cobra - SOLD

Professional Door Dildo Remover
HiMyNameIsWyatt is offline  
post #34 of 44 Old August 7th, 2015, 01:51 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast
 
97GT4.6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Posts: 2,454
     
iTrader: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 97GT4.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiMyNameIsWyatt View Post
I had little to no luck with putting mine in. Everything bolted up dune but the little things were annoying. Mostly how the bumpsteer wouldn't work. I traded straight across for MM stuff though.
I'm having issues as well. The bumpsteer clearance issue is annoying for sure. My swaybar mount on the driver's side a-arm broke off, and i'm in the process of trying to get it off the car (a bitch without a compressor) to send back to them. The bummer thing is that it has only about 6k on it since the install, and I'm very careful where I drive it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0713151603.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	160209  
97GT4.6 is offline  
post #35 of 44 Old August 7th, 2015, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Columbus, IN
Posts: 979
 
Garage
iTrader: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97GT4.6 View Post
I'm having issues as well. The bumpsteer clearance issue is annoying for sure. My swaybar mount on the driver's side a-arm broke off, and i'm in the process of trying to get it off the car (a bitch without a compressor) to send back to them. The bummer thing is that it has only about 6k on it since the install, and I'm very careful where I drive it.
Another reason to solidify my UPR decision... I wonder why some have wonderful experience with certain parts and others have such back luck...

2003 Redfire & Black V6. Full suspension, 8.8 w/ 4.10s, tuned. 4.3L stroker + turbo capable of 550 hp soon

1992 5.0 Auto Hatchback...needs wiring, interior, ...basically everything

RIP: 2015 SHO PP, 12.87 @107 1/4 mile
Derfdog15 is offline  
post #36 of 44 Old August 7th, 2015, 11:32 AM
Hardcore Enthusiast
 
97GT4.6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Fort Collins, Colorado
Posts: 2,454
     
iTrader: 5 reviews
Send a message via AIM to 97GT4.6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derfdog15 View Post
Another reason to solidify my UPR decision... I wonder why some have wonderful experience with certain parts and others have such back luck...
I think that's the way it goes when it comes to manufacturing parts. I've had bad luck with UPR products as well. Some hold up better than others. Team Z's customer service is good, and I was really impressed with their shop when I visited it 2 years ago, but this has been frustrating as I'm still trying to get the damn thing off and the car has already been off the road for 3 weeks.
97GT4.6 is offline  
post #37 of 44 Old August 7th, 2015, 11:54 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Columbus, IN
Posts: 979
 
Garage
iTrader: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97GT4.6 View Post
I think that's the way it goes when it comes to manufacturing parts. I've had bad luck with UPR products as well. Some hold up better than others. Team Z's customer service is good, and I was really impressed with their shop when I visited it 2 years ago, but this has been frustrating as I'm still trying to get the damn thing off and the car has already been off the road for 3 weeks.
Yeah, I guess everyone just has different circumstances, and every car is a little different. I have had pretty good luck with my UPR stuff, and their customer service on my end. Plus being semi-local is also a plus

2003 Redfire & Black V6. Full suspension, 8.8 w/ 4.10s, tuned. 4.3L stroker + turbo capable of 550 hp soon

1992 5.0 Auto Hatchback...needs wiring, interior, ...basically everything

RIP: 2015 SHO PP, 12.87 @107 1/4 mile
Derfdog15 is offline  
post #38 of 44 Old August 7th, 2015, 01:39 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast
 
CalBoy101's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Posts: 2,567
                   
iTrader: 0 reviews
If you want to go fast in a straight line, that's what the Team Z stuff is designed to do and there are a lot of fast cars using it ("Chucky" grudge car and AV Boys Grey Mare street racing car).

Here's the AV Boys car hooking up hard enough to do a wheelie on the street:

https://youtu.be/OLaklBm0bKE

I think they should mention the steering rack offset issue in their product description though, I hit that issue and I'm working around it but it would have made my life easier knowing about it up front.

2002 GT/Auto/Vert
2.1 KB 12psi/2600 MAF/75mm Accufab TB
BE Tuner/PopsRacing
Silverfox VB/Circle D 3400 CV/Steeda LCA's+Subs
Control Boost from ControlBoost.com
CalBoy101 is offline  
post #39 of 44 Old August 7th, 2015, 02:04 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Columbus, IN
Posts: 979
 
Garage
iTrader: 3 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalBoy101 View Post
If you want to go fast in a straight line, that's what the Team Z stuff is designed to do and there are a lot of fast cars using it ("Chucky" grudge car and AV Boys Grey Mare street racing car).

Here's the AV Boys car hooking up hard enough to do a wheelie on the street:

https://youtu.be/OLaklBm0bKE

I think they should mention the steering rack offset issue in their product description though, I hit that issue and I'm working around it but it would have made my life easier knowing about it up front.
Thanks for the info. Ive actually been working with Michael @Sinister Mustang on getting a killer deal with the UPR stuff and he has me all set up. Ill be getting the mild steel K member (but with black coil over sleeves - from the stealth kit), UPR upgraded mounting hardware, the UPR rack bolts, Prothane offset rack bushings (from UPR), and MM bump steer (tapered, and black - not that ugly blue)

2003 Redfire & Black V6. Full suspension, 8.8 w/ 4.10s, tuned. 4.3L stroker + turbo capable of 550 hp soon

1992 5.0 Auto Hatchback...needs wiring, interior, ...basically everything

RIP: 2015 SHO PP, 12.87 @107 1/4 mile
Derfdog15 is offline  
post #40 of 44 Old August 7th, 2015, 02:10 PM
Formerly whyxitx
 
HiMyNameIsWyatt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska.
Posts: 12,083
                 
iTrader: 8 reviews
I could have hooked you up with a bumpsteer kit! Sold mine 2 days ago for 115.


2017 Nitrous Blue Focus RS
1993 Ford Ranger

1997 Cobra - SOLD

Professional Door Dildo Remover
HiMyNameIsWyatt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome