Getting the wheels turning on my 2v build. input wanted - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By blownstang

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old August 20th, 2015, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
MM Fanatic

Garage
Getting the wheels turning on my 2v build. input wanted

Alright guys so im doing my 2v build and i need some input. I was thinking about building a teksid short block, but I think this would be the cheaper option would be to get a cobra short block as blownstang suggested in another thread.

2003 2004 SVT Cobra Short Block Forged Manley Arp | eBay

I talked to the guy and he agreed to come down some on price my only concern is the tiny scratch on the piston. Do you guys think this is worth it/ that scratch in pics would affect anything?

---------- Post added at 03:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:33 PM ----------

Also another question i have is with my fuel setup. Can i keep all the emission components if i switch to a return style setup?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old August 20th, 2015, 05:13 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

First off 03-04 cobras don't have Manley pistons. The problem with the cobra shortblocks is that piston to wall clearance is tight.

02 roush turbo forged and built
mhs stage 3 heads cms 2.5 turbo cams
CG T6 hot side billet BW S478 with race cover
Dyno numbers coming
post #3 of 11 Old August 20th, 2015, 08:54 PM
Enthusiast

have you thought about a 5.4 2v block or a 5.0 boss block? if you want a return-style your going to have problems with the evap system but that junk can be turned in a tune but can be problems if your in a emissions state.

Mods: Tokiko Struts and Shocks, KYB Quad Shocks, H&R Springs, 315/35/R17 Tires, Cold Air, 75mm TB , Plenum, UD Pulleys, Longtubes, Offroad X Pipe, Borla Exhaust, Aluminum Driveshaft, 24lbs Injectors, Walbro 300lph Pump.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old August 20th, 2015, 09:26 PM
C6Z's & ZL1's are afraid

dude no question; get the teksid! those weigh what like 80lbs as compared to these iron blocks! do it!!

throw in a complete forged rotating assembly and you are good to go.
post #5 of 11 Old August 20th, 2015, 11:39 PM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor123 View Post
Alright guys so im doing my 2v build and i need some input. I was thinking about building a teksid short block, but I think this would be the cheaper option would be to get a cobra short block as blownstang suggested in another thread.

2003 2004 SVT Cobra Short Block Forged Manley Arp | eBay

I talked to the guy and he agreed to come down some on price my only concern is the tiny scratch on the piston. Do you guys think this is worth it/ that scratch in pics would affect anything?

---------- Post added at 03:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:33 PM ----------

Also another question i have is with my fuel setup. Can i keep all the emission components if i switch to a return style setup?
I don't think that scratch would be a problem. Just looks like a little surface coating is missing. If you are concerned about it before buying then send the pic to Paul Knippen and ask him what he thinks. He's built quite a few mod motors for local guys. If you need his contact then shoot me a PM.

2004 DSG Mustang Mach 1 4r75w - 508/436 on E85. 460/396 on 93. Intercooled Vortech V1 S trim, Circle D 4c converter, BCA valve body, VRS o/r x pipe. 11.37 @ 120.8 mph 1.63 60'
post #6 of 11 Old August 22nd, 2015, 12:08 PM Thread Starter
MM Fanatic

Garage
I got the okay on the piston so I went ahead and bought the shortblock for 1600$. I wanted to do a teksid build but i know there is no way i could have got the parts and labor on it to come out to that low. Ill be browsing the classified forums for a good deal on some ported heads.

---------- Post added at 11:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fifth Horseman View Post
have you thought about a 5.4 2v block or a 5.0 boss block? if you want a return-style your going to have problems with the evap system but that junk can be turned in a tune but can be problems if your in a emissions state.
thanks for the info, ill probably just stick it out with returnless, trying to keep it emissions legal less the x pipe which i swap for a stock mid pipe every 2 years for the test.
post #7 of 11 Old August 22nd, 2015, 01:01 PM

Quote:
I got the okay on the piston so I went ahead and bought the shortblock for 1600$. I wanted to do a teksid build but i know there is no way i could have got the parts and labor on it to come out to that low. Ill be browsing the classified forums for a good deal on some ported heads.

---------- Post added at 11:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:04 AM ----------

thanks for the info, ill probably just stick it out with returnless, trying to keep it emissions legal less the x pipe which i swap for a stock mid pipe every 2 years for the test.
Awesome! And if you have any doubts about the motor and want a full disassemble and reassemble inspection done Paul charges $300.

2004 DSG Mustang Mach 1 4r75w - 508/436 on E85. 460/396 on 93. Intercooled Vortech V1 S trim, Circle D 4c converter, BCA valve body, VRS o/r x pipe. 11.37 @ 120.8 mph 1.63 60'
post #8 of 11 Old August 22nd, 2015, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
MM Fanatic

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by blownstang View Post
Awesome! And if you have any doubts about the motor and want a full disassemble and reassemble inspection done Paul charges $300.
I will consider doing this, better safe then sorry. How did you store your short block? Right now im talking to a guy with some ported heads for sale. Now i just need to do some reading on which cams will be the best for my setup.
post #9 of 11 Old August 22nd, 2015, 03:16 PM
Regular

I built my teksid short block for about 1400 in parts. I understand that if u have to pay labor the price can go up fast.
post #10 of 11 Old August 22nd, 2015, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
MM Fanatic

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjackson3010 View Post
I built my teksid short block for about 1400 in parts. I understand that if u have to pay labor the price can go up fast.
Yea i added it up and parts is not the problem. I never built a motor and i do not want to mess things up and further delay the use of my mustang. I plan on toying around with my broken stock one and rebuilding it to learn.
post #11 of 11 Old August 22nd, 2015, 04:49 PM

Quote:
I will consider doing this, better safe then sorry. How did you store your short block? Right now im talking to a guy with some ported heads for sale. Now i just need to do some reading on which cams will be the best for my setup.
I made a little stand for it with some wooden blocks/boards. Pretty much just cut some 1.5" and 2" by 6" wooden boards and screwed them together so that the bottom of the block sits on the wood. For about 6 months I just had it covered up with a garbage bag (bottom exposed) and greased the cylinders with oil once a month. Then I started reading that it should probably be sealed up if stored for a long time. I sprayed the bottom of the rotating assembly down with WD40, oiled up the cylinders and top of pistons with regular engine oil, and tossed it in the vacuum sealed bag. I threw like 3 small desiccant moisture absorber packs (ebay) in the bag too before I sealed it. I actually just put a new bag on it today and re-greased it all as I think I sucked too much air out of the bag the first time and one of the sharp edges of the block or main cap bolts must have lightly punctured the bag.
condor123 likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page