Warm start issue, stage 1 cams - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Nitmare67

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old August 25th, 2015, 11:48 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Garage
Warm start issue, stage 1 cams

A few weeks ago I installed cms stage 1 cams and since then the car will have some issues on warm start ups. It will start but when it does it idles very low and either catches itself after a few seconds or dies. This does not happen every time and the more time the car sits the less frequent this happens. It does not have any issues with cold starts.

I have a base tune from tricktuners but this problem started with the stock tune. I know its a fuel issue, but can anyone point me in the right direction? I don't know a whole lot about the fuel system, but I will do my research to troubleshoot any suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old August 25th, 2015, 12:36 PM
Regular

Your car may have larger injectors installed. If it does then you might ask Joe to increase the Crank Fuel duty cycle and lower the injector crank pulse width.

This will usually help with hot start issues with larger injectors.

2007 Mustang GT/CS - Bolt-Ons, 4.10s
2000 Mustang GT - Built Longblock & a big turbo (SOLD)
post #3 of 12 Old August 25th, 2015, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Garage
I have the stock pink top, 21 lb injectors.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old August 25th, 2015, 01:07 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson View Post
I have the stock pink top, 21 lb injectors.
I must have misunderstood, I thought you were saying you weren't sure what kind of fuel system you had.

In any case you still may try those fixes I listed above, if anything it should still help at least.

2007 Mustang GT/CS - Bolt-Ons, 4.10s
2000 Mustang GT - Built Longblock & a big turbo (SOLD)
post #5 of 12 Old August 25th, 2015, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sc9tt View Post
I must have misunderstood, I thought you were saying you weren't sure what kind of fuel system you had.

In any case you still may try those fixes I listed above, if anything it should still help at least.
Gotcha, I know the fuel system is stock, I'm just not familar with every part within the system that could be the culprit.
post #6 of 12 Old August 25th, 2015, 06:28 PM
Regular

I have the same exact cams and had the same problem, I went all over the place. I smoked my vacuum system to check for air leaks and pressure tested my fuel system too and it all checked out good.

It ended up being the tune wasnt adjusted right. I took it to my tuner and he changed the tune a little and now it runs fine, i would get ahold of your tuner again and explain and he should be able to adjust it.

post #7 of 12 Old August 25th, 2015, 08:39 PM
SleeperStang

I had the same issue. Told joe and he fine tuned it at the end. I also replaced my IAC for a third time and between joe and that the issues is all but gone. Just let him know what is going on so he can fix it.

Laser Red Crew #6
276/296 on a pi swap and OPS1 cams

Mods in Garage
post #8 of 12 Old August 25th, 2015, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Garage
Alright thanks guys. I'll let him know. Still on the base tune trying to work out another issue.
post #9 of 12 Old August 26th, 2015, 02:41 AM
MM Fanatic

Its a tune issue... you need too add a good amount of timing to ease starting of cammed stock compression cars. I typically will add 5-10 degrees below 700 RPM and I target 800-900RPM idle. This really helps with stalling issues and also helps starting. One of the tricks of the trade dealing with cars that die returning to idle coming to a stop is to add spark BELOW where the target idle speed is... so say we target 800RPM idle.. Then at 750RPM I will add 5 degrees and at 500RPM I will add 10-15 degrees. So when the idle does drop suddenly its not all up to the IAC to add air and catch the falling RPMS before it dies. When spark rolls in the engine will automatically get more efficient, fire harder and idle higher then when the RPMS go back up the timing comes back out and the IAC takes over... sort beautiful 50 yard pass where the running back is running like hell and the ball magically lands right in his hands and score a touchdown.... something like that haha.
CalBoy101 likes this.

1999 GT 630rwhp on pump, TFS Heads, MMR 4.75L, Highly Modified Kenne Bell 2.1 @ 20lbs, Custom Intercooler, JLT High Boost CAI, CMS Custom TFS Specific Cams, 3.55s, MGW, T56
post #10 of 12 Old August 26th, 2015, 07:22 AM Thread Starter
Enthusiast

Garage
Thanks for the explanation Nitmare.... That makes a lot of sense
post #11 of 12 Old August 26th, 2015, 08:12 AM
Down for the count

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitmare67 View Post
Its a tune issue... you need too add a good amount of timing to ease starting of cammed stock compression cars. I typically will add 5-10 degrees below 700 RPM and I target 800-900RPM idle. This really helps with stalling issues and also helps starting. One of the tricks of the trade dealing with cars that die returning to idle coming to a stop is to add spark BELOW where the target idle speed is... so say we target 800RPM idle.. Then at 750RPM I will add 5 degrees and at 500RPM I will add 10-15 degrees. So when the idle does drop suddenly its not all up to the IAC to add air and catch the falling RPMS before it dies. When spark rolls in the engine will automatically get more efficient, fire harder and idle higher then when the RPMS go back up the timing comes back out and the IAC takes over... sort beautiful 50 yard pass where the running back is running like hell and the ball magically lands right in his hands and score a touchdown.... something like that haha.
Thank you Nitemare. I've been plagued with this since I added my cams years ago. No tuner I ever spoke to could help me out. I'll be giving this a shot as soon as the car is together again.

What does your dyno sheet trap?
post #12 of 12 Old August 26th, 2015, 12:17 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Nitemare, I like that tip you suggested of bumping the advance up under your targeted idle speed.

On my auto car with a 3400 stall converter its fine when shifting into drive at idle but when its just a little under full operating temperature sometimes when you shift into reverse the engine bogs and stalls.

Apparently something about the locking TC clutch setup on the aftermarket converters puts more drag on reverse shifts when they are still a little cold, I'm going to try your advance trick and see if that fixes it.

2002 GT/Auto/Vert
2.1 KB 12psi/2600 MAF/75mm Accufab TB
BE Tuner/PopsRacing
Silverfox VB/Circle D 3400 CV/Steeda LCA's+Subs
Control Boost from ControlBoost.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page