Turbo or Procharger - Forums at Modded Mustangs
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old October 14th, 2015, 04:00 AM Thread Starter

Turbo or Procharger

What's up guys I was needing some help on making a decision on going turbo or procharger. So far I've heard going turbo would be best but I've also heard going with a supercharger would be good since my car is a stick. But I want to hear what you guys have to say. The car is a 03 Gt 5 speed. I appreciate it guys

2003 Redfire GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old October 14th, 2015, 04:18 AM
I Post Entirely Way Too Much

Either will have the potentail of making more power than a stock engine can support.

2000 GT 665/541 WHP/WTQ 4.6L SOHC 2V ON 93 OCTANE PUMP GAS.
post #3 of 26 Old October 14th, 2015, 06:13 AM

Yep. I have a p1, and have blown an engine before with it. Honestly if you have the choice of either, either go d1 or turbo.

Procharged 2000 5 Speed BAB GT, built motor, blower cams, 10 lbs, lee blankenship tune 430/405

HARDCORE CREW

BRIGHT ATLANTIC BLUE CREW #1 MEMBER
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old October 14th, 2015, 08:42 AM
New time's coming soon!!!

Garage
I'm not sure if your referring to a centri blowers as Prochargers or not but im taking it as you are. Procharger is just a brand that makes centri blowers. There's also vortech and Paxton ( vortech actually owns Paxton). Either of the three are excellent blowers and will blow the stock shortblock. There's lots of models that each company offers. I suggest setting a power goal then once you've decided on it go one step larger because you will always want more. I'm suggesting a centri because of the ease and they can be had for almost half as much as a going with a on3 kit by the time you buy suspension.

[color=gray]Sent from [url=http://www.autoguide.com/mobile]😣😤nbj vyx6,;dtzy could have u. Ovh77,😣😃🔠😳
T-Lee. 30 likes this.

My Build Thread : https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...-gt-build.html

D1SC 12-13psi 391rwhp 411rwtq
post #5 of 26 Old October 14th, 2015, 01:11 PM
Enthusiast

Let's simplify your question a bit.

More power and more expensive? Or simpler and more reliable?

-Will

post #6 of 26 Old October 14th, 2015, 01:25 PM
BYAHHHH!

How is a turbo unreliable? Pretty sure more manufacturer cars are turbo and not centrifugal. Get a GEN 2 on3 kit and be done.
post #7 of 26 Old October 14th, 2015, 01:37 PM
Regular

Following

2004 Mach 1 red torch 40th anniversary. Borla stingers,Mac SS off-road pro chamber,SCT X4,MM full length sub frames connectors, wild rides torque box kit, mgw shifter, k&n drop in
Bullitts
17x8 and 17x10.5 with 315/35/17 nitto 555r
post #8 of 26 Old October 14th, 2015, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2001GT View Post
How is a turbo unreliable? Pretty sure more manufacturer cars are turbo and not centrifugal. Get a GEN 2 on3 kit and be done.
Its simply more unreliable because it consists of more parts, and more things that can go wrong. There are lot of potential places for exhaust leaks, all that extra exhaust pipe under the hood can lead to problems like rising coolant temps, burnt alternators (happened a lot to my eclipse), BOVs can leak, waste-gates wear out over time (ask an bmw n54 owner)... everything else is pretty much the same as a supercharger kit.

2000 Mustang GT vert - Gone
2002 Mustang GT coupe - Sold on 12/20/17
2007 BMW 335i
1994 BMW 328i - Foxbody 5.0 Swap
post #9 of 26 Old October 14th, 2015, 02:36 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott2001GT View Post
It's got about 5 times as many places that exhaust can leak; you've got a wastegate to worry about functioning properly; you've got additional oil lines to worry about working correctly and/or leaking; you've got the heat to worry about and how it might affect nearby components; etc. etc. etc. And generally speaking, I'd say these cheap Chinese turbos won't come close to lasting as long. I looked around a while back when I was considering a turbo, to try and find someone who had run any aftermarket turbo for 50, 75, 100,000+ miles, like virtually every Eaton ever made has or will run. Never found any.

I'll agree that it's not much of a deal, especially to someone who works on their own cars and a little maintenance isn't a problem, like you or me. But it absolutely is less reliable than a supercharger. And while I'm sure there are exceptions out there, I don't know a single person who daily drives their turbo Mustang because they spend more time working on it than driving it. The ones who do drive at least some on the street have a loud, piecemeal, thrown-together heap with exhaust leaks everywhere, and can't pass inspections because they don't have the EGR, cats, or mufflers. Anecdotal evidence, I know..., but that's my experience with the dozen or so people I know who have turbo Mustangs.

The people I know who DD supercharged cars? A lot.

10-15 years ago, before fuel economy was so important, positive displacement superchargers were king from OEMs, not turbos. And even today, turbo setups on 'V' motors other than trucks where they have plenty of space for them are very uncommon. Sure, they exist (Mercedes AMG and BMW M5 / M6 come to mind), but outside of a $75k+ price tag, you're gonna find TVS blowers pretty much always.

-Will

post #10 of 26 Old October 14th, 2015, 02:59 PM
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky98gt View Post
It's got about 5 times as many places that exhaust can leak; you've got a wastegate to worry about functioning properly; you've got additional oil lines to worry about working correctly and/or leaking; you've got the heat to worry about and how it might affect nearby components; etc. etc. etc. And generally speaking, I'd say these cheap Chinese turbos won't come close to lasting as long. I looked around a while back when I was considering a turbo, to try and find someone who had run any aftermarket turbo for 50, 75, 100,000+ miles, like virtually every Eaton ever made has or will run. Never found any.

I'll agree that it's not much of a deal, especially to someone who works on their own cars and a little maintenance isn't a problem, like you or me. But it absolutely is less reliable than a supercharger. And while I'm sure there are exceptions out there, I don't know a single person who daily drives their turbo Mustang because they spend more time working on it than driving it. The ones who do drive at least some on the street have a loud, piecemeal, thrown-together heap with exhaust leaks everywhere, and can't pass inspections because they don't have the EGR, cats, or mufflers. Anecdotal evidence, I know..., but that's my experience with the dozen or so people I know who have turbo Mustangs.

10-15 years ago, before fuel economy was so important, positive displacement superchargers were king from OEMs, not turbos. And even today, turbo setups on 'V' motors other than trucks where they have plenty of space for them are very uncommon. Sure, they exist (Mercedes AMG and BMW M5 / M6 come to mind), but outside of a $75k+ price tag, you're gonna find TVS blowers pretty much always.
You make a good point

2004 Mach 1 red torch 40th anniversary. Borla stingers,Mac SS off-road pro chamber,SCT X4,MM full length sub frames connectors, wild rides torque box kit, mgw shifter, k&n drop in
Bullitts
17x8 and 17x10.5 with 315/35/17 nitto 555r
post #11 of 26 Old October 14th, 2015, 07:46 PM
Hardcore Enthusiast

Garage
Quote:
I don't know a single person who daily drives their turbo Mustang because they spend more time working on it than driving it. The ones who do drive at least some on the street have a loud, piecemeal, thrown-together heap with exhaust leaks everywhere, and can't pass inspections because they don't have the EGR, cats, or mufflers.
I have 2 1/2 years (April-Oct) on my On3 kit. 16K miles. No problems with inspection either. I am allowed 2 N/A's for insp here in NY though.

I would not call my car a loud, piecemeal heap by a long shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xkape View Post
I like MM though. It's a mustang forum, and, the only one I know of where I could tell you to fuck off.. or to suck my dick. Or, to tell you you have a small penis or that I fucked your mom last night and it's ok.
post #12 of 26 Old October 14th, 2015, 08:24 PM
Enthusiast

In it's simplest form a supercharger is less complicated than a turbo setup. You have less part to install, less places for leaks (only a intake side) and for a person would doesn't work on cars cheaper to pay for install. Yes we all know that a turbo is going to make more power than a supercharger (equally sized and boosted) and both are capable of destroying a stock motor.

I think the OP need to read up more on what supercharger and turbo do or how they performs and figure out what he really want the car to do.
T-Lee. 30 likes this.

Spinning ain't Winning
post #13 of 26 Old October 14th, 2015, 09:16 PM
BYAHHHH!

Roots blowers have never dominated the market ever. Do it right and you won't have issues with either boosted application.
post #14 of 26 Old October 14th, 2015, 09:42 PM

For a stock motor car do a centri such as a Vortech or pro charger they are Less complicated and it will more then blow up your motor without some of the extra expenses.

Wow there is all kinds of straight up BS in here...

Turbos are reliable which is why they now sit in almost every ford car made now ECOBOOST, BMW VW, KIAs, BMW's, and even some new Chevrolet, Lexus ETC are kicking them off.

Convertible Crew Founder
Proud Iraq and Afghanistan War veteran

700 RWHP Club Member #1

Vortech T Trim @18 PSI
604 RWHP 516 FT LB
[email protected]@ 523RWHP

Precision Turbo 7675 CEA @ 20 PSI
738 RWHP 691 FT LB
10.9 @ 131 MPH
post #15 of 26 Old October 14th, 2015, 09:56 PM
Rent Asunder!

Quote:

Don't use cheap Chinese parts and you won't have a problem. I've had my turbo setup for 8 years without an issue.

I don't know where you're getting your info on PD blowers. Very few cars had them. There were way more cars rolling off the assembly lines with turbos than PDs in the 80s, 90s, and 2000s. That number has only grown in recent years.

1993 Camaro bracket car
2002 Tahoe family/tow rig
2006 Altima daily
post #16 of 26 Old October 15th, 2015, 01:11 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAzombie View Post
I would not call my car a loud, piecemeal heap by a long shot.
As I said, anecdotal evidence. Just my personal experience. If I knew you, I'd say "all but one of the people I know....".

Here in NC, there's a visual inspection for the emissions stuff like EGR, evap system, cats, etc. So even if you are able to work it out via the tune and/or electrically, they can still physically see it isn't there. PITA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSG Pate View Post
Wow there is all kinds of straight up BS in here...

Turbos are reliable which is why they now sit in almost every ford car made now ECOBOOST, BMW VW, KIAs, BMW's, and even some new Chevrolet, Lexus ETC are kicking them off.
There is a massive, MASSIVE difference in an OEM setup that's been produced tens or hundreds of thousands of times, and an aftermarket kit that may have sold a few thousand.

Go talk to anyone with a diesel truck or Ecoboost car that has swapped their OEM turbo for an aftermarket one, and I'd put money that it won't last a quarter as long as the stock one would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDY4WAR View Post
Don't use cheap Chinese parts and you won't have a problem. I've had my turbo setup for 8 years without an issue.

I don't know where you're getting your info on PD blowers. Very few cars had them. There were way more cars rolling off the assembly lines with turbos than PDs in the 80s, 90s, and 2000s. That number has only grown in recent years.
Very few?

Buick LeSabres, Regals, and Rivieras
Jaguar XJRs and XKRs
Pontiac Bonnevilles and Gran Prixs
Nissan Frontiers and Xterras
Cobras and Lightings
Chevy Impala SS, Monte Carlo SS, Cobalt SS
Some of the Mercedes C-Class (Kompressors?), I believe
Mini Coopers

Just off the top of my head.

Sure, there's plenty of turbo cars, too. Supras, GSXs, Cyclones, and Talons come to mind. But Eaton has put a many a roots blower on production cars.

-Will

post #17 of 26 Old October 15th, 2015, 09:28 AM

From personal experience these are the problems I had with my turbo eclipse:

-I used an aftermarket header that whenever it got really got it would expand, and after it cooled back down it would develop exhaust leaks where it connects to the head, or where it connected to the turbo. I ended up replacing the turbo/manifold gasket 3 times and the manifold/head gasket 4 times.
-One of the oil lines from the turbo to oil pan cracked, leaked everywhere
-The heat from the turbo burnt up two alternators
-Intercooler piping that came with the car blew couplers at least ten times before I upgraded
-BOV line dry rotted and started leaking
-And the last straw was then the turbo blew right before selling the car haha. The turbo was a 16g which is an updated turbo from what comes in the evos.

Moral of the story: use quality parts the first time around and avoid a lot of problems.

2000 Mustang GT vert - Gone
2002 Mustang GT coupe - Sold on 12/20/17
2007 BMW 335i
1994 BMW 328i - Foxbody 5.0 Swap
post #18 of 26 Old October 15th, 2015, 04:21 PM
Enthusiast

on3 and run around 8psi or so.

then when you can afford to build a short block you can up the boost.

then when you want more you can start customizing the on3 kit, bigger IC, bigger turbo, bigger down pipe.

then when you really want to get wild heads, cams and your making more power and no playing with pulleys and belts.

However if you don't plan on going far and you just want a budget 400HP then get a used centri kit.

00 GT, 4v and Heaton Swap, T56 Mag Build thread: https://www.moddedmustangs.com/forums...aton-swap.html

post #19 of 26 Old October 15th, 2015, 05:28 PM

Quote:
As I said, anecdotal evidence. Just my personal experience. If I knew you, I'd say "all but one of the people I know....".

Here in NC, there's a visual inspection for the emissions stuff like EGR, evap system, cats, etc. So even if you are able to work it out via the tune and/or electrically, they can still physically see it isn't there. PITA.

There is a massive, MASSIVE difference in an OEM setup that's been produced tens or hundreds of thousands of times, and an aftermarket kit that may have sold a few thousand.

Go talk to anyone with a diesel truck or Ecoboost car that has swapped their OEM turbo for an aftermarket one, and I'd put money that it won't last a quarter as long as the stock one would.

Very few?

Buick LeSabres, Regals, and Rivieras
Jaguar XJRs and XKRs
Pontiac Bonnevilles and Gran Prixs
Nissan Frontiers and Xterras
Cobras and Lightings
Chevy Impala SS, Monte Carlo SS, Cobalt SS
Some of the Mercedes C-Class (Kompressors?), I believe
Mini Coopers

Just off the top of my head.

Sure, there's plenty of turbo cars, too. Supras, GSXs, Cyclones, and Talons come to mind. But Eaton has put a many a roots blower on production cars.

You need to go back and do some more research about how many cars are really running around out there on turbos that are reliable. If you truly believe just swapping out a factory turbo for a BETTER aftermarket one makes it unreliable then that just shows how much you dont know about what your talking about. Almost every single diesel truck FOR YEARS is turbo with all their exhaust and dont have issues even after putting a more efficient unit on them.
more then half the cars produced today are TURBO so they are very reliable..

Convertible Crew Founder
Proud Iraq and Afghanistan War veteran

700 RWHP Club Member #1

Vortech T Trim @18 PSI
604 RWHP 516 FT LB
[email protected]@ 523RWHP

Precision Turbo 7675 CEA @ 20 PSI
738 RWHP 691 FT LB
10.9 @ 131 MPH
post #20 of 26 Old October 16th, 2015, 12:33 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to T-Lee. 30
Op plan out your goals for the car and whatever reputable shop you plan on taking your car to ask them their opinion on the subject based off of how far you plan on going with your personal ride. Of course that's not saying discount everything you heard in here but talk to the dyno/tuning shop(s) you plan on taking your car to and see what they tell you based off of your goals. Gl.

-03 GT V1S trim 5psi, 3xxhp/3xxtq
-06 TBSS LS3H,cam,f.exhaust 4xxrwhp/4xxrwtq
-03 Dakota SLT Quad cab 2wd stock

Iraq and Afghanistan War Vet . Convoys and convoy security. My Wife is also a Army and Afghanistan war vet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Forums at Modded Mustangs forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page